• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

[Music Thread] Best band of the 80's

I'm a total Stone Roses nut, but their somewhat meagre output means I'm craving for more....

Can anybody recommend any similar bands of that era? I like Joy Division/New Order, a bit ambivalent about the Happy Mondays. And I think the 90s Britpop scene is a bit overrated

The Charlatans of course...

Ozric Tentacles...

well yes, those chaps were rather spliffing in the mid'late 80's...was fortunate to see em live say 25 plus times , usually by chance as they frequented many of the free festi's I pretty much lived at around that time, ahem....I'd advise any fans to check out their offshoots especially Eat Static, The Ullulators and Nodens Ictus

I'm truly the opposite of a music snob but am shocked and slightly devaststed to see good people on a drug forum trying to suggest that Dire fkin Straights were the best band if the 80's, fuck me sideways with a rusty chainsaw literally can't believe what I'm reading eek aaaaagghhh :)

Anyway I can't choose a single band, but here's a flavour of my 80's

I'm truly the opposite of a music snob but am shocked and slightly devaststed to see good people on a drug forum trying to suggest that Dire fkin Straights were the best band if the 80's, fuck me sideways with a rusty chainsaw literally can't believe what I'm reading eek aaaaagghhh :)

Ha ha! How about The Pet Shop Boys? Or The Smiths?

Last edited:

I couldn't have said it better myself mate 😀

'Sultans of Swing' was an absolute classic, but it went downhill rapidly from there to this:

Any band that wore headbands and suit jackets with the sleeves pushed up can fuck right off imo...

Last edited:
I had a friend at uni who used to always want to play Dire Straits on guitar together. Turns out his dad was a big fan. Also turned out his dad was a paedophile. Make of that what you will.

I had a friend at uni who used to always want to play Dire Straits on guitar together. Turns out his dad was a big fan. Also turned out his dad was a paedophile. Make of that what you will.

Did his dad wear red trousers?

The dodgiest piece of fashion (among many) in the 80's was fuckin red trousers. I lost several friends to the red trouser scene back in the day. They have tried to make amends since, but I'm having none of it...

I don't know if he did, the one time I had an opportunity to meet him, I was too stoned and scared so I stayed in the car. I dread to think what kind of paedo attire he had on.

Yeh, The Jam were good, there's no denying. But I reckon Paul Weller lost his way with The Style Council which pandered to the red trouser brigade.

Thankfully, he redeemed himself in the 90s with the release of 'Wild Wood' where he found his niche as the solo singer/songwriter he was destined to be. Love the guy...

I like them. Which album should I get first?

'Some Friendly' (1990) - it was their debut album which included those tracks I posted.

They've done loads of stuff since then but have never quite reached the legendary status of the Roses.

But if I was asked to choose between the two, I think I'd go for The Charlatans...