• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

[MUSIC] The 80's thread .... (links only please, no full video screens)

OK, two of my friends, actually my ex girlfriend and my dead best friend, used to mock me, in good humour, for not having any knowledge of what they both called "popular culture".

I don't know what they meant. I don't know what you mean.

I don't really even know what I mean =D

My dead best friend was quite a cultured chap. And my ex girlfriend is... uh... quite trendy? like, she listened to "cool" bands and stuff, and knew "cool" people actually. Knows them. Whatever cool means.

She came from the Metropolis. Edinburgh :D I came from the boondicks. She taught me culture. or that was what she said was happening!

Having lived for a few years in London, the idea of Edinburgh being the Metropolis is quite funny to me =D

Last edited:
Haha! Classic! I don't think we had the song in the UK but you showed it us via Beavis & Butthead (their facial reactions are hilarious) and it's both awesome and crap at the same time. I love it! Sorry for the posts just can't sleep.

Guess I got to think up something now to add.

The Dicks - Hate the Police

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kHpKsTvflo

The Pagans - Boy Can I Dance Good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-Trg9Mc-o

OK, two of my friends, actually my ex girlfriend and my dead best friend, used to mock me, in good humour, for not having any knowledge of what they both called "popular culture".

I don't know what they meant. I don't know what you mean.

I don't really even know what I mean =D

My dead best friend was quite a cultured chap. And my ex girlfriend is... uh... quite trendy? like, she listened to "cool" bands and stuff, and knew "cool" people actually. Knows them. Whatever cool means.

She came from the Metropolis. Edinburgh :D I came from the boondicks. She taught me culture. or that was what she said was happening!

Having lived for a few years in London, the idea of Edinburgh being the Metropolis is quite funny to me =D

I think i know exactly what you mean. Like for example if you were asked to name One Directions biggest hits you wouldnt have a clue ? Neither would I. That was my splitting hairs point, to me fuckin pappy shit like that is 'what popular culture' is, whilst 'serious artists' or non-pop bands that have 'credibilty' often dont have huge popular or commercial success, but they are chersished and become cult heros by their fans, buts sometimes both things happen, with bands like The Cure for example, who are a cult band, loads of 'cred' abd 'cool' points and they sell millions of records too. I like a little of both types of music tbh, but probably about 80 - 90 % serious artists, with a little room for some cheesy poppy stuff too.

The shit pap/pop bands like one direction that make music for ten year old girls generally have a very short shelf life. Same for most of the Simon Cowell Shit. If one single flops their record company dumps them and no one else wants them because they have no real talent. The 'serious artists' often continue creating new music, recordings, and playing live shows for decades. Because that is what they do, that is who they are. Not just an 18 year old pretty boy whois probably miming anyway and has been taught a few dance steps. But you have heard of paul weller and know that he was in the jam and about syd barret and pink floyd so you are obviously putting yourself down exageratdly here.

During my teens i would listen to John Peel and he would play records that only had like 1,000 copies printed or something. There's no way that could be called popular culture IMO. IMO its somehwere in the middle that that the best bits of music can sometimes be found, but that isnt allways necessarily so.

Last edited:
Yay no one told me we had a bloody EIGHTIES thread.... Get in..... frikkin accccccce.... Human League, David Bowie and Gasoline or yea.... the rest of them.... I FAAAAKING (sorry thought I was Phil Michelle then) lurrrrrv the EIGHTIES.... my bloody youth man...
90s was 'ok' there was Rhythm of the night, Another Night, Free, Cockneyed Joe (January 1995) n Saturday night but WOW the 80s man let's have some Bowie..... Human League Don't You Want me...... yeah memories..... and Duram Duram as well as Cliff Richards and Mistletoe n Wine n all the other ace Christmas Number Ones... Man, the man was God to us kids at Christmas time - we'd be on our beds, with our fake microphones singing mistle n wine like there was no tomorrow.... but man ol' Cliff OWNED Christmas.....

A Lil' Respect - that song ruled.... ACE!!!!

Please pay respects, possibly my favourite song of all time -

Tears for fears - Tears Roll Down

Actually I think it's early 90's. Piss off. Just coz I'm too young for this thread. I tried my best.

Awh yes you're only 30, ain't you, you're a lil nipper awwww bl.... hang on FUCK OFF.... you're only four years younger than me you bloody bugger LOL :p

Evey....

Boogie people!!! D.I.S.C.O!!!!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Er, I wouldn't exactly call that "re-igniting" material...

YESS!!! Well done PP, best song of the thread! THAT'S how you re-ignite an 80's thread.

UH OH..... Nah...... Bowie.... David Bowie... and Also The Human League............. Now that's Eighties style hahahahah.... PLUS they said "ace" in the 80s dontcha know.... they did, didn't they? DIDN'T THEY??? GRRRRR :D hahahaha

Oh, Raasy, tsk tsk tsk, your "Tears For Fears - Tears Roll Down" didn't work, I almost had an Evetrum waaaa how DARE you???? LOL :D

Evey

Last edited:
"Respect" was one hundreds, maybe thousands, of eighties tacks that i really liked. I wasnt really one for dancing in public as a teen, but that track would get me onto the dance floor. It is completely irrelevant to me that Erasure happened to be gay. Not listened to it for a few years, so for all times sake its going on when i wake up a bit more. Fantastic, emotional, stirring tune as i recall.

Cant be bothered right now ro reread the whole thread, did anyone post any ZZ Top? They were a big thing in the 80s.

ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4VFFBCa5Aw

We all tried to learn to play drums to this track in school, it's a classic example of the basic 4 4 drum-beat; 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 8( And when you cracked that you'd kick the bass drum pedal on the count of 1 and 3 iirc, it was a LONG time ago. Monsta would know. But I dont think he reads this thread.

Last edited: