• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

[MUSIC] The 80's thread .... (links only please, no full video screens)

The Pastels are one of my all time favorite bands ever! Just classic garage pop with a grittier edge, but also somehow whimsical in the best possible sense. Amazing. If you haven't, try to find their Illuminati album, which is quality remixes from everyone to My Bloody Valentine and Cornelius, etc.... Pure dream pop chill out bliss with an ambient whisper in the distance (if that's your bag). And Orange Juice/Edwyn Collins did some great stuff as well. Glad these were mentioned.

Ha! I actually own that remix album! I remember thinking it was a really bizarre idea, but it works pretty well. Leaving This Island is particularly beautiful in remixed form. Two versions of Rough Riders as well. :)

PS: I was a teenage Belle & Sebastian fan too. I really lived for the first couple of albums. I wasn't in Nowhereswville USA, but it was pretty lonely (and dangerous) being into that stuff in the rougher parts of inner city Manchester, let me tell you!

To an extent... LOVE older stuff like the Pastels. I was into groups like Belle & Sebastian in college, but now I tend to just gravitate back to my comfy 80s/early 90s womb where everything is okay, lol... How about you?
I don't mid twee, The Weddoes are one of my fave bands and they're considered twee sometimes I guess ... I think I got allergic to anything on Sarah records when I got into indie, mainly due to snobbery, and nothing to do with whether the bands were actually any good or not.

Glasgow generally has chucked out some pretty shit hot bands tho

[edit]

just found this while on the hunt for twee in my collection ... havent paid any attention to it, just used to dl loads of stuff cos it was there ... should I be paying it attention/give it a listen?

TDmeeYe.jpg

No way! I wasn't sure if you'd be into that or not (not that I'm judging you based on blanket assumptions based on random bands you've expressed fondness for, haha).

I mostly post obnoxious / perverse stuff just because I'm like that. I see you've noticed. :D

Ah, a teenage B&S fan. Must've been rough in Manchester. My husband grew up in North Birmingham and while I know the two cities are a ways apart and have their own distinct scenes, there is a certain football/lad culture that permeates through and through. Did you have to hide some of your less orthodox tastes as well?

Yeah, Birmingham's similar in many ways - (post) industrial city with a large population of laddish beer monsters. To be honest, I flaunted it. Wore make-up and dressed outlandishly. It was scary at times but I don't regret it one bit!

Did it take you a while to understand the Brummie accent? :)

Having some Lords of the New Church playing:

Russian Roulette (what better subject for a song than watching your favourite movies fucked up?)

Open You're Eyes (Stiv was on to all this big brother crap early! I know Orwell did it 15 or so years ago but it never sounded class. In fact I was bored by Orwell, sorry!)

and Dance With Me -(Classic creepy sexy goth song!)

The Lords are deffo among my favorite bands ever!

stump - orgasm way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQtxguGp6Ho

No surprises that John Peel loved this band. They are just so completely strange and different and "out there". That was allways what he looked for.

Joe Jackson Hometown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skAWV1L5bnE brilliant track, very profound lyrics. No commercial success at all. :|Wtf, simon Cowell i blame you, proper talent doesnt get a chance.

UK Albums Chart #41
:( the album this comes from Big World is fuckin brilliant.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree. Flock of Seagulls got unjustly made into a joke b/c, what, they didn't look too cool or had stupid haircuts? The point is, they wrote some classic songs with killer hooks and I find it disheartening that they are still seen as some 80's hot mess laughing stock. FAR WORSE music was produced in the name of pop, and they did mix some solid guitar riffs with dreamy synths (Space Age Love Song), echoed vocals, and just plain decent song writing. Glad I'm not the only one who feels they got shafted unfairly. If that makes me uncool, so be it!

You are not alone, lol.

You have instantly become a valued member of this community ;) Welcome!

Sorry by the way, I promise to get all vigorous about YellO just as soon as I can. I got all vigorous about JFK this morning & have lost the flow of this thread. Reading on now...

edit - Lords of the New Church! Wow, that takes me back! Met one of them at some Gothic thing below Centre Point back in the late 80's & he got me in, over the road at The Astoria to see them play that same night. Sadly, we never met again, but I big digged the gig!

Last edited:
Pleasure! The guy was a gent, I would like to have got to know him & the gang, but this was long before the advent of mobiles & internets & besides, I have never been the sort to swap numbers with people unless they innitiate it. I can't actually remember which member of the group it was, but I think it was the bassist. Funnily, I do remember quite a bit about the gig, especially as I heard them play live tunes that I'd been hearing in Goth clubs at the time but didn't know who the tracks were by. I never bought any Lords though, so I (honestly) haven't heard any Lords since that gig! There were alot of bands that interested me & I was then & still am not financially able to explore every band or genre that interests me. It wasn't long after this that I began my move into dance music & lost interest in actual bands for many years.

Well dash it all to hell, you guys are talking about bands ive never even heard of. My Mum bought me Smash Hits magazine practically every week throughout the early - mid/ slightly later 80s, and then it was the fuckin NME and John Peel when i 'got serious' and into non mainstream stuff.

sorry, i must be coming across as mad as a hatter today. You havent done anything wrong, it was only myself that turned it into a competition, when i should have been satisfied that we are all cohorts.

Nah, you won't learn anything useful of MDB ;) Lol

You being competitive in these threads AGAIN, are you MDB?

I didn't mind Borderline, actually... & I loved Holiday, sadly ;) Not alot of Madges 80's work does much for me, nor a huge amount of her other music. But that Hey Mr DJ tune isn't bad & that vaguely trancey/dancey one with William Orbit producing isn't bad either.

I shan't bother with Madonna links though ;)

Awww sweetie, you're seeping now and I'm up! Gad you turned in and are getting some good rest though. :)

I'm thinking of Misty and how he didn't get the dignity to be buried in a Pet Semetary :(

Loved The Cure song. Thanks for getting me into them a those years ago! Aways remember!

Last edited:
A few more of my favourite 80s songs:

GBH - Gimme Fire - Love the high octane buzz saw thrash guitar and even Joos Hoand pop up in the video seemingy perplexed by their Great Bg Hair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnaUhelxu3I

The Dwarves Drugstore - Stretching it a bit with the 80s theme (1990) but ha it was kind of an anthem to me on my missions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDN5K3xJwtk

Oh and where I got my typoed and misremembered username -The Stranglers - No More Heroes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4bsqYxwo0

and I'm gonna finish it off with a big guilty pleasure or rather because I think they're cool That;s probably enough I'm just a sucker for the harmonising and hook. Also I was so mad Kirk O Bain ripped the video off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmYt0e88ANo

You can tell a the taste in the household comes from my wife!

Surprised that no one has mentioned the cameleons or the house of love- so many great songs.i always thought the house of love should have been bigger than u2 and that twat bono.

[video=youtube_share;g3pRfpXLxgM]http://youtu.be/g3pRfpXLxgM[/video]

This is bollox it's actually Biz N Shante but still Doug ain't even bout it in teh vid