• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

[MUSIC] The 80's thread .... (links only please, no full video screens)

i dont mind Run DMC, but Public Enemy i just couldnt get into. I dont loose any sleep over it. Oh god i hate the RnB stuff, i dont mind the sexy videos, but the music narh.

Nah bonkers is a dance tune with rapping on it. or something. not keen at all. or RnB, not a fan. apart from that i love most genres

Public enemy, run dmc, quality stuff. old school hip hop is wicked

Pink Floyd - Any Colour You Like

Love that funky bit at 1:35

I liked Coolio's Gangster's Paradise. But that is kinda mainstream i guess. He's an amazing guy, it was on the local news a few weeks ago that he was in some Northern town, Preston or something, met a load of students and went back with them to their house to cook them all a feast of a meal, and he did an impromtu jam with one of the students who played guitar (badly). The students were overwhelmed, saying no ones gonna believe us when we tell them this.

Apparently the guy was gonna go back the next week to do the same thing. I llove stories like this, ther must be so many of them that we dont get to hear about. One of my friends is a good friend of the guitarist from Ida Maria and i think he went round there place to watch a Norway football match, or they went round to his place. That didnt get on the news, sadly Ida Maria arent quite as big as Coolio, obvioulsy.

I only know them because I bought a compilation tape in France in 198x which they were on. I though it was one of the NOW compilations but it doesn't look like it was.

marmz your tastes are ecclectic, you like indie/alt, thrash metal, rock, electronic pop music, and thats just the start. You dont have to be
respectfully disagree, but not up for debating it at the mo. my music taste and knowledge is pretty limited. honestly. not underplaying it. anyhow ... back to the 80's.

Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me (1987)

Just listening to the whole album. I fucking LOVE it ... I love Jr and Sebadoh, and some of Barlow's solo stuff too. My fave album of theirs is probably Green Mind tho. But this is up there with the best of theirs.

Dinosaur Jr - Little Fury Things

Dinosaur Jr - The Lung

Dinosaur Jr - Raisans
Lyrics
NSFW:
The lights exploded
She stood burning in front of me
She ripped my heart out and gave it to me
My eyes wouldn't open, cemented to her face
Have I begun a feeble chase?
I'll be down, I'll be around
I'll be hanging where eventually you'll have to be
I'll just stare and hope you'll care
It's only everything standing in front of me
I know what you did to me
I know what you did was wrong
You're allowed to torture me
Wait a moment until I'm gone
I know you're the ticket, you gotta be
Cause I let you be alone for long
Got to be so completely
Got to be so I can't hang on
I'll just stare and hope you'll care
It's only everything standing in front of me
They're not there, you're standing there
Now you'll have to decide the fate of my sanity

sw4J2Oj.jpg

I used to listen to stuff that I don't think I even liked at the time but for some reason i felt that i had to, my sister made me do it kind of thing. some of the stuff she had me listening to was alright though, such as this by the the. i had one of those "I'm in a film" moments with this in my head the other weeek. anyone else get them "I'm in a film" moments just as you're walking down the road or doing something. afraid i spend an awful lot of time in my own head a hell of a lot of time thinking but i'm reaching conclusions now which is nice conclusions and realisations and decisions of how I want things to be. It's great. This is what happens as one hurtles towards 40 I suppose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-32AAp418V4

Lady, that's one very classy track ^ ... and a fucking kick ass album too, and a fucking awesome band to boot. I LOVE Matt Johnson's lyrics .... he just KNOWS stuff.

And yes, being inside your own head is one of the best places to be ... I totally relate to that. No place more comforting or that makes any better sense or reason, and no better place to resolve stuffs <3

Anyway, definitely a seminal 80's album:
The The - Soul Mining (1983)

The The - Uncertain Smile

The The - This is The Day

b8EIIhH.jpg

are you fucking kidding me? (with not being cool enough for the thread)? there's no way in hell you wouldn't LOVE Dusk (the the) if you listened to it ... it's fucking easy listening but perfect at the same time. Philosophical lyrics you'd love. It's ace. Sexy as hell too. And it's not hipster cool shite .... non of the stuff I like or have linked is really 'cool' in those terms. But The The are the least 'cool' band ever. They're fucking awesome tho

I always wanted to like yello more than I did. They were meant to be influential, or so people told me. They seemed way too fucking happy to me at the time I think so I didn't make the effort i shouldve done with em.

I liked that track tho, but shouldve made an effort to listen to the albums more.

i also listed your REM tunes - Its the end of the world and REM - The One I Love. Double nominations for those tunes. Deservedly so.

They changed their sound after the album with 'Loosing my religion" on. I didnt like their new sound, they changed their guitar sound and general nature of the songs alltogether. They lost me as a fan at that point. "Whats the Frequency Kenneth" was the final straw.

hahaha

I will do a full dedication to their 80's stuff in here at some point, cause they were just so fucking good.

Same for OMD