Music as a potentially great mood stabilizer

Redington

Bluelighter
Lately Ive found myself listening to music whenever Id feel down or tired during the day. Usually I listen to artists the likes of Tipper, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, Ozric Tentacles, Shwamp etc. (Cant recommend it enough for anyone looking for something new). This kind of music gives me the necessary energy or willingness to fulfill a task, or it puts me in a groovy mood. Also makes me want to dance around, kinda funny since Im pretty chill usually and not so physically active. Im curious if anyone has a similar experience to mine.

I am addicted to music, without a daily dose of electronic music I'm not myself. I am into faster variants of EDM like Frenchcore etc. but I like other genres as well. I do think music one likes has a drug-like effect to the brain, unfortunately it is a bit limited, real drugs are more powerful but music on my DOC, dissociatives, sounds so freaking great and three-dimensional. Listening to tracks I discovered while high remains to be euphoric for quite some time. In other time this euphoria was strong enough to make me dance around in my room when I'm also usually physically not very active but this effect is gone and doesn't seem to come back.

But yeah, music is a good skill, in fact the best I know next to drugs.

im also addicted to music , liquid dnb is something i enjoy a lot with the odd roller (no jump up tho please) , oldskool trance sometimes plays as well as speed garage. But ye i get what you are saying on it , definitely feels like something i lean on having some tunes going for motivation or just steady thoughts its weird because a fast fairly bassy genre like speed garage actually helps my focus a lot

I am addicted to music, without a daily dose of electronic music I'm not myself. I am into faster variants of EDM like Frenchcore etc. but I like other genres as well. I do think music one likes has a drug-like effect to the brain, unfortunately it is a bit limited, real drugs are more powerful but music on my DOC, dissociatives, sounds so freaking great and three-dimensional. Listening to tracks I discovered while high remains to be euphoric for quite some time. In other time this euphoria was strong enough to make me dance around in my room when I'm also usually physically not very active but this effect is gone and doesn't seem to come back.

But yeah, music is a good skill, in fact the best I know next to drugs.
Interestingly enough, I never tried listening to music while being on any drug. Guess it never crossed my mind. Maybe Ill try it while taking nitrous and see how much of a connection I can get there.
You just made my day, found this while looking up frenchore on yt: Quality right there. Btw, frenchcore isnt my slice of pie, but Im thankful for having a personality that enables me to enjoy various genres that are usually off the table for me.

im also addicted to music , liquid dnb is something i enjoy a lot with the odd roller (no jump up tho please) , oldskool trance sometimes plays as well as speed garage. But ye i get what you are saying on it , definitely feels like something i lean on having some tunes going for motivation or just steady thoughts its weird because a fast fairly bassy genre like speed garage actually helps my focus a lot
You know whats really weird, while music helps me get into the moment, it can at the very same time distract me from what I have to do. Like i said sometimes it just makes me wanna dance around, not like a party animal mind you :)

I think music makes your brain 🧠 release dopamine, which can both induce focus as well as pleasure.

Well yeah, this is Frenchcore. Let me tell you that the first time I heard some, my reaction was, wtf these distorted sounds should be music 🎶? Then I realized the melodies were haunting me and upon the second or third encounter I was in love with this style. Good music takes imo more than one hit to really get it. As opposed to pop which is instantly good / earworm ish but becomes boring after a few loops. I also think you need food speakers or earphones for to enjoy electronic music but I assume you have such. But of course not everything is everyone's piece of cake. Thankfully we have so many styles to choose from.

Drugs and music go hand in hand for me. Try to listen to some when you're using next, it's nice. I never did nitrous but other dissociatives which greatly enhance the experience of music. I described it like become three dimensional and organic. Try to lie down in a dark room with headphones and close your eyes 👀. The artists you mentioned, like Shpongle or infected mushroom make good trip music as an addition to shrooms or lsd as well.

Unfortunately I don't get the urge to dance without drugs, I would consider yourself lucky 🍀.

Last edited:
Music is life. Music is beyond many drugs. I too can’t help but dance these days.

Everyone responds to music differently and there’s even a small portion of the population that don’t feel any euphoria at all. I believe I’m on the complete opposite side of the spectrum where I feel insane euphoria from music even sober.

I’ve had music bring about really intense emotions, ive cried, gotten angry, but obviously seek out the blissful ecstasy.

It’s probably something you’re either born with or you aren’t. Ive loved music since I was a kid. It was my refuge, I could throw a CD in my discman and leave the rough world of my childhood.

-GC

Its a bit different for me perhaps, since I mostly listen to classical music, like some sort of psychopath or evil genius:

Since I was a little kid, when I listen to music my ear (and brain) focuses mainly on the tonal relationships. But not just the tones themselves but the overtones. So classical music is the only thing that really cuts it for me in that regard. Of course thats not all i listen to, and I've been in punk and rock bands as a guitarist and wrote most of the songs for those bands etc.

So music can actually be a bit stressful for me in a way for me because my ear and brain tend to follow too closely. Not one to have it on in the background ever, especially if I'm trying to work or focus on something. Definitely can't have it on while I'm trying to sleep either. Sort of wish I could listen to it in that way. But I also spend alot of time writing and recording music. When I was a kid my friend's dad (who was a composer for TV and film) would drive us places and he always listened to talk radio, never music. Now I understand why.

Good music takes imo more than one hit to really get it. As opposed to pop which is instantly good / earworm ish but becomes boring after a few loops. I also think you need food speakers or earphones for to enjoy electronic music but I assume you have such. But of course not everything is everyone's piece of cake. Thankfully we have so many styles to choose from.
Totally agree here. The more complex a musical work is the better it is when you listen to it a few more times. Well, that is not always the case, but it certainly was just like that with shpongle for me. I felt as if I found the holy grail after discovering it, for a time I couldnt stop listening to his albums. And for me, earphones all the way, never really got into speakers. Its just that with earphones the music speaks to you more clearly, you can pick up all the little details that would be muffled out on speakers and its great. The diversity that is out there is also mind blowing. I dont always dig out for music but when I do I always find something new and refreshing. We really live in great times.

Drugs and music go hand in hand for me. Try to listen to some when you're using next, it's nice. I never did nitrous but other dissociatives which greatly enhance the experience of music. I described it like become three dimensional and organic. Try to lie down in a dark room with headphones and close your eyes 👀. The artists you mentioned, like Shpongle or infected mushroom make good trip music as an addition to shrooms or lsd as well.
I really recommend you try nitrous, unless youre addicted to dissociatives. I dont know you thats why just in case i dropped the warning, nitrous can be really addictive for some people. Not my case thankfully, I just do it for fun sometimes. Also nice idea, I only took it during daytime, in plain daylight, never in the dark. Ill try it out at night sometime, with music blasting on the earphones.
Personally, never had the chance to try any psychedelic. Amanita muscaria might be the exception here, but I only ever used it for microdosing. But, I imagine the kind of music I listen to would be million times better on lsd or shrooms :)

Btw, if anyone can help me here, on which sub forum would a thread about microdosing be ok to post on? Trip Reports? or Psychedelic Drugs?
-Just for future reference since I intend to share my experience with the fly agaric.

Last edited:
Man if you like dancing to Tipper but haven’t tried a psychedelic yet, I’m excited for you :)

I’ve actually had moments of pure ecstasy with Tipper live years ago with psychedelics mixed in. DMT in particular with his older stuff but I feel his music these days is a bit too fast paced for it.

Music with psychedelics takes on a whole new life. Just imagine if you could seamlessly pick apart every sound, instrument, etc as it plays while still being able to appreciate the track as a whole. You’ll hear things you’ve never heard before in a track. And complex music made for psychedelics goes from a jumbled mess for the average listener to a beautiful perfect chaos.

That euphoria you feel now will reach heights you never knew existed. If you’re like me you’ll probably be a sight to everyone around you at a live event. Your body will flow in a way you didn’t think you had in you. The best part is that dancing ability sticks in my experience. Dancing while rolling/tripping has made dancing sober more and more fun, and easier.

-GC

Man if you like dancing to Tipper but haven’t tried a psychedelic yet, I’m excited for you :)

I’ve actually had moments of pure ecstasy with Tipper live years ago with psychedelics mixed in. DMT in particular with his older stuff but I feel his music these days is a bit too fast paced for it.
Wow so youve heard him live. Mustve had some great times there.
Music with psychedelics takes on a whole new life. Just imagine if you could seamlessly pick apart every sound, instrument, etc as it plays while still being able to appreciate the track as a whole. You’ll hear things you’ve never heard before in a track. And complex music made for psychedelics goes from a jumbled mess for the average listener to a beautiful perfect chaos.
Very interesting way of putting it, makes me very excited and curious for the whole prospect. And well when I try any Ill definetly share my thoughts around here.
That euphoria you feel now will reach heights you never knew existed. If you’re like me you’ll probably be a sight to everyone around you at a live event. Your body will flow in a way you didn’t think you had in you. The best part is that dancing ability sticks in my experience. Dancing while rolling/tripping has made dancing sober more and more fun, and easier.
Sounds really nice, I never was particularly interested in dancing before, not only cause of my previous music taste, but also cause whenever Id go to an event like a party the music there just wouldnt cut it for me.

Feels lovely after quitting a massive opiate habit lol that and wanking 😂😂🤷🏻‍♂️

Wow so youve heard him live. Mustve had some great times there.

Very interesting way of putting it, makes me very excited and curious for the whole prospect. And well when I try any Ill definetly share my thoughts around here.

Sounds really nice, I never was particularly interested in dancing before, not only cause of my previous music taste, but also cause whenever Id go to an event like a party the music there just wouldnt cut it for me.

One of the best memories of my lifetime is a sunrise Tipper set on a little beach. As the sun rose the warmth caused the lake in front of us to begin steaming. The steam formed these tentacles that reached high in the sky.

At that moment I’d say at least half the crowd was partaking in DMT and it was like we were all in this same place together. I watched my friend cry from the beauty of it all. I tear up just thinking about it. One of those moments you could never even begin imagining to relive.

That said, get out to small local festivals and maybe you’ll catch the next “Tipper.” I can’t tell you how many artists I’ve seen go from nobody’s to huge names, and knowing I got to see them at their most seeable makes me happy.

-GC

Reactions: CFC
Music actually used to be my drug before I became addicted to real drugs. Life has a dark sense of humour...

Reactions: CFC
Yes I feel listening to something my mood helps me engulf myself in the feeling and not suppress it, which if suppressed could cause myself instability. Especially if I'm frustrated, edgy ect

When my mood is undefined I think Id usually gravitate toward happy or motivational songs to help guide me in a safe direction

Last edited:
Lately Ive found myself listening to music whenever Id feel down or tired during the day. Usually I listen to artists the likes of Tipper, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, Ozric Tentacles, Shwamp etc. (Cant recommend it enough for anyone looking for something new). This kind of music gives me the necessary energy or willingness to fulfill a task, or it puts me in a groovy mood. Also makes me want to dance around, kinda funny since Im pretty chill usually and not so physically active. Im curious if anyone has a similar experience to mine.

I get the impression it's particularly normal for ADHD-type folks to use music as a stimulant. I always have done, it's very helpful and helps my brain get going.

Conversely, if I need some kind of emotional catharsis (like to cry, which I simply can't do normally), I also use music. Music can get me there almost instantly - often whether I want to or not - utterly overwhelming me with emotions (good and bad). Much of the rest of the time I'm otherwise numb to the world and emotionally flat lol.

. Music can get me there almost instantly - often whether I want to or not - utterly overwhelming me with emotions (good and bad). Much of the rest of the time I'm otherwise numb to the world and emotionally flat lol.
I've teared up far more through music than anything else combined (movies, reality). I've "balled" in real life, but that was more reactive to something unexpected not so much a deep connection like music.

Music often puts things I've been feeling into better words and vibes than I could possibly think of.