• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Storage, Stability and Potency

I don't know -- I've always experienced that after a couple of months the health of the mushroom wanes and its very noticeable in the trip. It's best not to leave them around for a while. I've eaten old mushrooms before (even when they start getting that white fur on the inside of the stems haha yuck) and still had good trips, but all around from my experience, at that point the trip gets less colorful, less somatic (more floating-head type trips) and the mushrooms are more difficult to digest. Mushrooms get impatient and the best trip you'll get you'll get from happy, healthy mushrooms. Eatyer eager fungi.

Water molecules expand when they freeze, which could lead to some really disgusting, runny mushroom juice when you thaw them. Since the mushrooms are dried it shouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't want to take chances with my stash.

Yeah I'm talking about dried mushrooms, I don't keep fresh mushrooms for any length of time - they'll start going off as quickly as any other form of mushroom if they arn't dried.

If your mushrooms are truly dry, and you put them in the freezer, you wont have frozen mushrooms, you'll just have really cold dry mushrooms.

Can anyone tell me why i didnt trip today? Ate/drank an easy 15 smallish P. Cubes, didnt feel anything. They had been frozen the day they where picked, so im assuming no potency was lost.

I was a little bit sick with a cold, i also had 2 cold and flu tabs before the mushies (500mg paracentamol, 9.5mg Codiene 5mg Phenylephedrine Hydro.)
I also had one cone of some pretty strong bud.

Question about freezing fresh mushrooms, does it alter the potency at all? When i got some frozen, they had all turned fully blue/black, is that from the water molecules expanding and bruising?

I don't know -- I've always experienced that after a couple of months the health of the mushroom wanes and its very noticeable in the trip. It's best not to leave them around for a while. I've eaten old mushrooms before (even when they start getting that white fur on the inside of the stems haha yuck) and still had good trips, but all around from my experience, at that point the trip gets less colorful, less somatic (more floating-head type trips) and the mushrooms are more difficult to digest. Mushrooms get impatient and the best trip you'll get you'll get from happy, healthy mushrooms. Eatyer eager fungi.

I totally agree with this.

I had my mushies completely dried, grinded into powder, and stored in gelcaps.

Ok my question+situation here is:
A friend of mine yesterday gave me a call and asked me how the shrooms that he gave me where. I didnt remeber being given anything and thaught that I didnt have any at all and have been trying to find some. He then says that one morning he came over to my place and I was fairly hammered and he gave me a large bag of stems (about 80 goldcaps he claims) now i've absolutely rooted around my room trying to find them and have finally found them hidden in my cupboard in a old bag under a pile of old bags that I used to use at school but havent used/looked in for years.
So my question is, if they have been sitting in a plastic bag, sealed, under a pile of bags in a cupboard how much will the quality have gone down? Would have been sitting there for up to 3-4 months. No mold on them at all.
Annoyed to see these things go to waste because they were free + im struggling to find mushies atm. Sigh, this is why I have stopped drinking.....

They may have lost some potency but they should still be fine. I grew some mushroom and put them in jars 6 months ago and just had some a couple weekends ago; 2g was a mild trip. They were still good. Yours should still be fine.

best way to store them imo would be to put them dried in a big airtight container
then a thick layer of dessicant refill on the bottom of the container
and put like a mesh screen to keep the mushrooms from touching the dessicant
thats it and keep it cool and away from the dark
i just keep it in the closet and it stays potent and cracker dry for months

another would be to grind them and mix them with honey or chocolates

Hello bluelight,
my roommate and i have a supply of picked psilocybe cyanescens that we have had for about a year now. On friday, each of us consumed 3.5g of these mushrooms and had a very pleasant experience. The only thing that both of us independantly noticed is that for the next couple days (especially the day after), both of us felt quite strange... much different than we usually do after mushrooms experiences. My brain felt very understimulated and slightly depressed for about two days. My roommate experienced the same thing and a headache persisting the whole next day (neither of us ever report these symptoms after our usual mushrooms experiences, we are both very experienced).
The mushrooms themselves show no sign of mold or age (besides being beaten into small pieces from being carried around).
So i am asking if anyone has some more insight (as the last post was 3 years ago) into this topic. We still have some more left and are wondering if we should take them, or wait a couple more weeks until the season begins once again for a fresh supply.

Any moisture in there, from not making them cracker dry or condensation from the air can spoil them... go bad. That is because mold and stuff needs water to live and grow.
Without any trail of water they stay good for a pretty long time, but then you have to worry about oxidation i.e. reaction with oxygen from the air. They won't spoil because of it as in molds or stuff but they will expire over time and become less potent.
Even if you protect them from water, air and UV-light (can also be bad and UV-light is in normal daylight) you'd still have temperature.
Temperature is molecular vibration, a type of energy and it is always there. Except for extremely low temperatures where there is virtually none.
The lower you can bring down the temperature the slower time will progress chemically qua reactions, but beware of condensation (water) in the freezer.

So, if you find a way to effective keep something from any molecule of water and oxygen and from any vibe of UV and bring it down to very low temperatures they won't go bad at all.

I paint a very extreme picture here but this is the theory. If you do these things to a lesser extent it will help enough to keep them from a year or multiple years which is often enough.

merging.

Mushrooms shelf-life

I got some mushrooms in the form of 2 teabags (presumably fully dried) from a friend about 3 years ago. They have been stored inside a small pill bottle at room temperature.

1. How much potency will they have lost? Originally one was bigger (for me) and one for my friend who hasn't had mushies before. I am thinking about taking them both as I assume a lot of the potency will be gone.

Oh and is brewing tea going to kill any of the potency?

Last edited:
In 3 years they probably have lost some potency but not all.

Brewing into tea will lose some potency but not much.

That^
And realize that not only does the strength of mushrooms vary because they are natural products, which means it's very hard to gauge a dose unless you have a standardized product... but on top of that it's hard to gauge how much potency you lost.
Meaning that it could just be that they preserved quite well and you could trip very hard, or the opposite so you won't feel much at all.

Just sayin', it's (more of) a gamble.

Merging into the potency and storage subthread.

weak shrooms?

The other day I took an eigth of shrooms that were supposed to be pretty strong. It started to kick in pretty fast, but an hour later I was hardly feeling much more than that. I was getting visual distortion, I felt a bit messed up in my head, had a few fuller hallucinations (which were very brief and not very convincing) and I felt a bit high physically. Now I have 2 other friends that split an eighth of the same batch and felt very similar effects. They both agreed that on an eight they would've felt much more than I did. Do I have a high tolerance or was the eighth I got somehow weak?

Well unless you recently cosumed other tryptamines you cant have a tolerance. However some people just naturally need more of certain drugs to abtain the same effects others get.

Probably just weak shrooms unfortunately. I've had the displeasure of eating weak mushrooms on a couple occasions. My first and only time eating more than an eighth (i ate 4g's) was my weakest trip ever

I would guess weak too, because I haven't done mushshrooms, or any other psychedelic, in a while. But I do have a pretty high natural tolerance for psychedelics. can natural tolerances grow?

Couple reasons why an eighth might be weak. Field picked or grown (and grown how). Also the method of drying (ie were they thrown in a dehydrator on top of a heating element or dried using a dessicant).