• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Shroom Hunting

Yeah a certain species of magic mushrooms grows on cow shit or where they graze, it's funny how heaven is up a cow's arse right?

I live in the countryside and during shroom season I find them everywhere, even in my garden. Remember to ID them carefully, take a spore print to be certain.

Last edited:
Well, decribe to me what a 'good' mushroom looks like? Never done shrooms but hell I've tried most everything else .... peace out.

Um .. I think some of them are toxic ... you might do a quick search? I wouldn't just put any shroom into my body, just because I found it in some poop.

You live in england then Natural? Most common here is liberty caps

They pop up soon, best time is during september - october before the cold hits, after rain there are always more around.

One picking tip is don't pull out the roots as you'll kill the spot for yourself and others since more mushrooms will sprout from under given time.

Check fields where cattle graze is always a good place.

Where abouts do you live?

Ahh I'm derbyshire so in middle, you may have to wait a couple of weeks till you start finding some since shrooms tend to start popping up north first and on higher ground, it won't be long though for you :)

I don't actually think anybody has died from a toxic mushroom in the UK for years...

Don't quote me on that, but it was on QI, and who can disregard anything Stephen Fry says? I used to live in an area with easy access to lots of green places, live in an urban place now, shroom hunting is tricky, as far as I know they don't grow under concrete. :(

Why is it that the much more poisonous fly something mushrooms (red cap with white spots) is legal everywhere yet still hallucinetory (albeit much different but still...) and much much more toxic.

Why is it that the much more poisonous fly something mushrooms (red cap with white spots) is legal everywhere yet still hallucinetory (albeit much different but still...) and much much more toxic.

Fly Agaric isn't toxic either, and it's legal because it isn't very popular. Fly Agaric contains two active ingredients iirc, one is a dissociative, and one is a deliriant - this means that from mushroom to mushroom the experience can differ greatly, one can have a dissociative like euphoric daze - maybe even an out of body experience - or one can enter complete delirium.

Anyway, as for liberty caps, they don't grow on/under dung, but they grow in well grazed fields, so a field that has cows in it is a great place. The season has already started but if you don't find any now, don't give up, check back in a week or two, and keep checking back. Morning is usually the best time.

These are what you are looking for, but if you are down south then not much chance of m/any being out yet. Keep checking the fields nearby.

Fly Agaric isn't toxic either, and it's legal because it isn't very popular. Fly Agaric contains two active ingredients iirc, one is a dissociative, and one is a deliriant - this means that from mushroom to mushroom the experience can differ greatly, one can have a dissociative like euphoric daze - maybe even an out of body experience - or one can enter complete delirium.

Anyway, as for liberty caps, they don't grow on/under dung, but they grow in well grazed fields, so a field that has cows in it is a great place. The season has already started but if you don't find any now, don't give up, check back in a week or two, and keep checking back. Morning is usually the best time.

Oh i was reading all about all the different types of mushrooms on wikipedia and it said that the fly agaric is poisonous. And I believe it was much more poisonous than psilosybin containing shrooms becauese I have read tons of reports from people on here about how they got violently ill after taking fly agaric. But then again it was wikipedia, and it wouldnt be the first time it was wrong

some people call psilocybin containing mushrooms toxic

neither psilocybin mushrooms nor Amanita muscaria are "toxic" in the purest since of the word

some people call psilocybin containing mushrooms toxic

neither psilocybin mushrooms nor Amanita muscaria are "toxic" in the purest since of the word

But dude I like em just as much as the next person but when I see a point i must point it out and that is that the way it effects you is like a form of food poisoning. It is obviously taxing/tiresome on your body.

I loved my trip, had a great time. But Im not gonna lie, it made me more lethargic then almost anything else I have tried. I really felt like I did not want to walk, AT ALL. yet at the same time I had the most overwhelming urge to BE OUTSIDE. When I forced myself to walk I felt more tired and also was so winded. I just forced it out of my mind that I didnt want to walk telling myself "dont be so lazy" but when I got back from a short walk about maybe half a mile, I was panting for air. Even tho I work out on a daily basis and I can generally sprint half a mile no stopping with ease. It definately was in some form sickening my body.

I believe the "poisonous" effects of the fly agaric are just more taxing then the psilosybinous shrooms

try to get a hold of paul staments Psilocybe mushrooms of the world

will help you start on your mushroom hunting journey...

One key feature is the purple-brown to black spores to be looking for in your psilocybe mushrooms... if it has any other color, like white or rusty-brown, THROW THAT SHIT AWAY!

I'll have a topic on himalayan psilocybe's soon enough... atleast afghani ones in this area soon enough ;)

Buy a cheap dog lead. If the farmer stops you just say that your dog got off and you got lost looking for it. ;-)

Trying again in a week or two (or even three, as you are down south) would definitely be best.

Buy a cheap dog lead. If the farmer stops you just say that your dog got off and you got lost looking for it. ;-)

I recently moved out to an area with farms near by and actually had to chase my dog into a fenced in area with horses and another time with llama.. He kept barking at the horses and nearly got himself kicked in the face >.<

Liberty caps grow well on all sorts of fields in the uk. sheep and cattle fields are good because they spread the spores by wandering about, the only time i've ever seen a magic mushroom grow on a cow pat is in a fabulous furry freak brother comic, so i don't know whether there are such shrooms in the US but here in the UK they don't grow on shit. Depending on weather conditions, peak time for liberty caps is late september - october. i know fly agarics tend to appear after thunder storms but i'm not sure whether its the same for liberty caps. A friend of mine who lives in moorland in cumbria swears that following the full moon following the autumn equinox is the best time to find multitudes... i always used to gauge the best time to find them as a couple of weeks after general toadstools start appearing a-plenty. for years i used to go to a particular spot where i'd be able to pick literally thousands if the conditions were right but in recent years that spot has been very quiet...

there's nothing like walking into a field, spotting a liberty cap, picking it and spotting many more whilst down at ground level, last time i went out last year i nearly stood on a hare! it was attempting to hide from me by crouching down and keeping very still, it gave me quite a shock when it ran off, but thats what i love about mushroom picking, the proximity to nature, the peace and quiet of open moorland, get out there and enjoy!!