• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Nausea / Vomiting & Prevention

Try lemon essential oil. I believe it's a 5ht-3 antagonist which works against the nausea portion of psychedelics.

I've found that taking my shrooms with milk helps the nausea. I always use chocolate milk, masks the flavor and calms my belly. I always have to be careful not to drink too much to wash them down, as walking around with a stomach full of milk can be uncomfortable as well. I've also found that eating a few tums after the shrooms will help with the nausea and cramps. Happy travels!

My time tested recipe to stop what I call "mushroom gut", is to boil 10g licorice root and 10g fresh ginger in a pot of boiling water for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes, then pour it over dried mushrooms. Works like a charm every time, as it mitigates the toxicity without hampering the trip.

Licorice and ginger protect the stomach, and licorice calms body pain and spasms.

I don't believe the active chemicals in shrooms are what cause the nausea and stomache cramps since afaik psilocin doesn't typically do this and neither do direct analogues. Also the exact method of preparation of the mushrooms matters to how well it is tolerated, at least I think I see a trend there... which leads me to believe it's the fibrous material of the mushrooms themselves that are not easily digestible. If they can't be broken down properly gut bacteria may produce amounts of painful gases and other similar effects in your GI.
My suggested solution is to find a way to avoid exposing your gut to the fibers of mushroom tissue. Chewing dried mushrooms for over 15 minutes creates a pulp that should definitely be more easy to digest than just eating mushrooms. You can also throw fresh ones in a blender with some juice (this may potentiate the trip though, the jury is still out on that), or grind dried shrooms to a powder and ingest with some soup. Making a tea should also be a proper solution.

Whenever I eat caps, it's always really clean and awesome, no negative gut feelings at all. Whenever I have stems, they hurt my gut a whole lot. This is just my personal experience, so I only eat caps now because stems make me sick. I'm aware that stems and caps contain equal concentrations of psilocin, but there is something in stems that isn't in caps that really hurts my body. They're poison to me as far as I'm concerned, and yes, I'm aware that psilocin is non toxic. I don't have any science to back this with, it's just how my body reacts. I digest caps sooo much easier for some reason.

Fits my fiber theory I think. Stems are made up of bundles of fibers that seem to be tougher than the caps in some way. I think it just may be that difference in tissue morphology.

Mushrooms and nausea

I have an issue with eating psychedelic mushrooms.
I have some wonderful experiences with 4-aco-dmt, 4-ho-det, n-n DMT, mdma, mda, methoxetamine, 25i-nbome, 25b-nbome, aMT, and TMA-6, to name a few
But unfortunately I've never been able to bring myself to eat psychedelic mushrooms. I've been offered on a few occasions, and had the chance to buy them countless times.

My problem is nausea; on almost any substance I have really bad nausea and I vomit at least once during the experience. It hasn't always been this way, but due to poor diet (lack of eating), I can't overcome nausea. The past few experiences I got the substance, ate healthy for a week prior (veggies and protien!) and I still would experience this nausea! So in my situation, ingesting a few grams of mushrooms is almost out of the question.

My attempts at keeping a substance down haven't worked. I've tried exercising on a come up, smoking a lot of weed, smoking no weed, but nothing I can do seems to distract me from nausea.

I've been interested in mushrooms for years and I'm determined to experience them at least once, but I want that experience to be amazing, and I don't find laying around on my couch tripping and puking to be an amazing experience.
So my question is, how do I overcome the nausea? I'm sure I can get it down, I just don't know how to keep it down?

I have the same problems with nausea. I throw up almost every time i trip on mushrooms, but i find that making them into tea helps. I drink quite a bit of water and smoke weed during the trip as well.

Ginger root.

Or the lemon tek has worked well for me.

But in the end you're just going to have to accept that nausea comes with psychedelics.

I've tried lemon tek twice (4-aco-dmt and 25i-nbome) and I didn't feel much better.
I usually get uncomfortable body load and energy on comeups and I usually take some Valerian root for that.

I haven't tried Ginger root yet, but I've heard of it a couple of times.
One of my friends told me to preload with ginger caps all day before dosing, but another friend swears by taking it at the first hint of nausea.
What would be the suggested dosing method with ginger caps?

Vomiting on mushrooms.

Why do mushrooms frequently lead to gagging or actual vomiting ?

Having only taken cubensis shrooms I am curious as to what it is that causes this, I mean 3 or 4 grams is not a huge amount of material, is it the psilocybin itself or is there something else that aggravates the stomach ?

Does taking pure psilocybin as a chemical extraction or synthesis in crystal or tablet form have the same effect ?

It doesn't seem to happen every time I take them and some light fasting (say 6 hours) does seem to help a bit but not always, and if I push the dose to 5 grams and above it find myself more often than not at some point holding on to the bathroom sink puking a bit. and it kind of spoils the trip and is one of the things that gives my some anxiety before taking them.

I've tried them dry (how I usually do it) and fresh, I've eaten them slowly chewing them well over 20 minutes or so and also whizzed them up to a powder and drunk them in lemon or orange juice or just plain water but nothing seems to be guaranteed to prevent the spewing.

I've taken them dozens of times over a period spanning 30 years and have always encountered this problem with them.

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure it's not the psilocin and psilocybin. I know the nausea mushrooms can produce from extensive experience and I don't really get that on pure 4-substituted tryptamines including synthetic psilocin itself. Occasionally it is possible for me to get nauseous on tryptamines though.

Also there seems to be a difference between fresh and dry or better said the entire preparation, and I think with mushroom tea people get limited nausea - I guess still only as frequent as one might generally get with tryptamines.

IMO the cause of nausea can be a combination of the fibrous tissue of mushrooms - which might be hard to digest - and the danky queasy taste. Drying and pulverizing the mushrooms does not necessarily destroy the microscopic fibre structure although grinding into shroomdust might do it. Most people however don't do that since it requires extra equipment / different methods.
I think that is the main cause, but it may be compounded by other factors such as the taste.
It is also possible that the fact that mushroom tissue sits longer in your GI tract causes extended absorption (though not the case with juice smoothies and concoctions like that) which allows the alkaloids to tickle your 5HT3 receptors in your gut for a longer period. That is to put it more scientifically, but we can also observe that when our body detects that it is being 'poisoned' it tries to eject that poison as long as it still can. It is another explanation why pure tryptamines or tea are not as bad, because they are so readily absorbed.

I'm interested to hear other people's experiences, especially those where an individual compares his/her reaction to ingesting mushrooms including the tissue, extract / tea so without the tissue, and the reaction to synthetic tryptamines. That way we might be able to determine (in the scientific / biological sense of the word) and deduce what makes a difference and what does not.

I have toyed with the idea that it's psychological, in that because I have spewed before on them that my anxiety about it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy but this doesn't really stack up, because I've never been sick on acid even with mega doses, so I'm pretty sure it is caused by a biological reaction happening in the digestive system.

Strangely enough the way I seem to have had the best results is by addressing the mushroom directly and telling it honestly that I was worried about this and asking it to help me not get nauseous, this then does suggest a psychological angle (and sounds crazy to anyone that hasn't taken mushrooms lol). This direct approach has also greatly reduced the chances of a bad or overwhelming trip by saying to the mushroom (as suggested by McKenna) I am holding nothing back, I am trusting myself to you so please don't burn me.

I may try taking some kind of long acting antacid like aluminium hydroxide, magnesium carbonate or magnesium trisilicate, but just eating a quickeze hasn't helped in the past.

Last edited:
I think there's other compounds in the mushrooms which contribute to this as I hardly vomit when I make tea but almost always do when I eat them.
Good thing they apparently are water soluble because mushroom nausea sucks

Capsule them webby - then you're only eating 5 dried grams instead of 50 grams of mushroom flesh. They do taste pretty horrendous which can cause nausea. Also lay down for the first couple hours after taking them. Don't move around too much - motion brings on nausea.

Capsule them webby - then you're only eating 5 dried grams instead of 50 grams of mushroom flesh. They do taste pretty horrendous which can cause nausea. Also lay down for the first couple hours after taking them. Don't move around too much - motion brings on nausea.

This is a great idea for getting past the taste, but also be warned if you do vomit it's way more uncomfortable imo throwing up 5 grams of mushroom powder. It's like some of it stays dry and gets caught in your throat on the way up.
Any buddy else notice this?

It's more uncomfortable throwing up 5 dried grams of powder than 50 gram chunks of mushroom flesh?