• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Nausea / Vomiting & Prevention

How do you typically consume your mushrooms exactly?

Psilocybin or psilocin themselves do not tend to cause an upset stomach, though like LSD there can also be anxiety-related effects (psychosomatic). What I think is normally the culprit with mushroom nausea is the fibrous tissue of dried mushrooms themselves, seems to me like it can be hard to digest - for some people more than others of course.
So the solutions are pretty much: either brewing tea from them or chewing for like 10-15 minutes at least. If you belong to the group of people who do not like the mushroom taste, it is less likely that you typically chew your mushrooms for so long.
Dried products (also including lots of other things besides mushrooms) can also be rehydrated - though careful not to discard water that has absorbed alkaloids, also keep an eye on this process and only do it if you plan on processing the resulting goo into something like mushroom soup. Others do not rehydrate but just cut the shrooms up into little pieces to be thrown into their cream of mushroom or whatever. But of course that hardly fixes the fiber issue.

It's also possible you get nauseous even with something like mushroom tea. The comeup can sometimes initiate with a kind of kickstart i.e. a brief period of feeling like you are coming up faster than you are comfortable with. In any case the anxiety from this can be enough to cause you to feel sick, often people soon after throw up (some consider it the 'purge') and then start tripping almost instantaneously. I guess that can be explained by the throwing up relieving the upwell of anxiety and also the timing making sense, that the psychosomatic anxiety is caused by a sudden thrust of comeup meaning that you are right there on the precipice of blasting off already.

My tummy almost always gets upset when I trip...like the above poster said though it's due to the anxiety of coming up and transfering from walking life to the effects of a psychedeilc. It use to only be with mushrooms but as I've gotten older in the last ten-fifteen years with any pyschedelic come up I always have a purge moment. It's something I've accepted and do not feel uncomfortable with. It may help if you ate something light, cheese-crackers-salami or something of the sort a few hours before you ingest the mushrooms. If you don't mind the fact that you purge with a psychedelic then just make sure you're able to get to a bathroom in ample time to avoid the looks. It doesn't bother me as much because as soon as I purge the anxiety for me is about gone :)

Happy trails

some people find ginger or ginger ale to alleviate mild to moderate nausea, haven't tried either myself though. Cannabis is good for nausea, but in some it can cause increased anxiety. I've generally gotten less nauseous from tea or the fruit juice "extraction," either of those would probably be worth a shot.

What I did is stop taking mushrooms and sourced some 4-ho-met and 4-aco-dmt, now I have no nausea!

I found the least nausea inducing method for me was lemon shots.
If you have dried shrooms, grind them up, chuck them in a shot glass full of lemon juice. Leave for 10 minutes and down the hatch.
Good stuff :D

I've heard things about this method increasing potency although I'm not really sure about that.

Never heard of pepto-bismol? Always did the trick for me!

And as far as anxiety-related "purging" goes - a little dose of a benzo before a trip never did me wrong...

Take a 4 mg zofran pill prior to the shrooms, and the nausea will be 100% prevented. I wish I had known about this years ago when I was getting started with shrooms.

In my experience there is always a degree of nausea that comes with mushrooms. But:
(1) With lower doses like yours, the nausea is also less
(2) Taking them on a truly empty stomach help me -- i.e., no food for at least 3-6 hours beforehand
(3) Consuming them dried (and crushed in gel caps) bypasses the taste

Is it at all possible to smuggle some marijuana in? That would do the trick for sure. Couple tokes and you would be great, if your nerves go on the fritz have a beer. I have found throughout my shrooming days that everything is a tool when you are on boomers.

I just grind them and put them into 00 capsules. Around here some people put honey or bees wax or something inside the caps aswell and call them "scoobie snacks". I think it's a stupid name and can't for the life of me wonder why grinding them up isn't sufficient for them. o well, it may help you though.

if your in europe you can buy motillum (domperidone) OTC which always took away any nausea i ever got from any 2c which i think is much worse than the nausea from mushrooms

I never get nausea from mushrooms; wether they're fresh, dried or the currently still legal 'truffles' (they're psilocin mushrooms still legal in the netherlands, they look bad but they work fine) I never really get any nausea. What does help in preventing I think is to chew them for as long as you can, let most be absorbed in the mouth, I think they can be heavy on the stomach. If I swallow them fast I do feel like my abdomen is 'heavy' for up to an hour, which when chewing for a long time happens much less.
Also pepermint, fresh leaves are best, dried work too, making tea of it is always good, helps against any milder nausea. You could bring pepermint tea, or just leaves to chew on, if really needed. Also get rid of the bad taste as fast as possible; I think the bad taste might keep any mild nausea more present.

Grinding dried shrooms to a fine powder in a coffee bean grinder will eliminate (or greatly reduce) nausea and ensure full potency.

Put in gel caps, mix with honey or peanut butter, or swallow your dose in little spoons and wash down with thick sweet juice like pineapple or whatever.

I agree with Solipsis that its mostly the fibrous mass causing upset, and grinding into fine powder handles this nicely... it seems to be rapidly absorbed with minor stomach side effects in my experience, I doubt the stomach even recognizes it as a solid and it goes right to the intestine to be absorbed along with the liquid used to swallow it, I'd say to be sure and drink about a cup.

Taking 25 or 50mg of DPH a half hour before I trip usually helps reduce alot of nausea from 2c- drugs I have done, it might help for other psychedelics as well.

^ Yep. Be aware DPH can also affect the quality of the trip as well, not necessarily in a bad way (for instance 25mg helped with 20mg 2CE bodyload but also to me seemed to increase intensity of the experience).

I don't really understand how "fibrous material" is supposed to cause such extreme stomach discomfort, I mean we eat plenty of fibrous material in vegetables every day. Culinary mushrooms in salads are certainly fibrous, are they not? (I could be mistaken about this...) 3.5g is also a very small amount of food. An oz. is a typical serving size of most foods.

Well true, but when you try to chew them they do seem alot tougher than salad mushrooms. Higher cellulose content than plain ones? All fiber is not necessarily equal. Like if you tried to eat a bunch of wood I bet it would bother your stomach. I dunno, just hypotheses.

Perhaps powdering just gets them through the stomach faster so there was less time to cause nausea whatever the mechanism.

I have never felt sick on mushrooms or had anybody taking them with me get sick. They are always dry though

Preventing nausea, body/stomach cramps on shrooms.

Recently I tripped on some shrooms I had in airtight storage. They were about 3 and a half months old when we ate them, but there was no mould and they looked fine at the time. However within 15 minutes of eating them raw (amazingly fast come up), I felt really strange and had a sick/ adrenaline/ lightheaded/ faintness feeling, which is the best description I can come up with. For the next 2 hours my body felt horrible.. if I stood up I felt sick, but couldn't actually throw anything up. If I lay down I could feel my heart palpitating, with a strange pressure that kept running down my limbs. I could barely move at all, I was only able to lie down and face it. A few times I felt like I was losing myself and would faint/lose consciousness if I didn't keep focussing on something around me. A while later I felt better but the trip had pretty much ended, which is strange because it normally lasts a lot longer for me, around 7 - 8 hours max. I had stomach cramps for a week afterwards, along with farts that could blow out candles. However, I'm sure I picked the right ones (liberty caps).

Can anyone suggest ways of reducing sickness next time? I'm not sure if the shrooms had just gone bad, but in the past I've eaten ones that were older and stored in worse conditions. I've heard that making tea helps kill the bacteria etc that could have caused me to feel like this? I had eaten breakfast the morning I took them.

as far as i know shrooms are by themselfs toxic and you probably have a specimen with a higher toxin load than others? there's more in a mushroom than just psilocybin.
like i have always stomachpain 1-2 days after cubensis but no issues at all with bohemica.

No, just no, to your entire post, they are not toxic.

Try taking 25mg (one pill) of diphenhydramine (benadryl) a half hour before eating shrooms. Eating a medium powered cannabis edible half an hour before hand too might help. Personally, I always get sick from mushrooms and after tripping on them like 60-70 odd times, I just gave up. I eat some 4-ho-met or 4-aco-dmt now if I'm looking for a shroom experience. It's not the same for sure, but it works for me!