• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Mushrooms Subthread] First time Shrooming

How many grams of dry P. Cubensis mushrooms would you recommend for a first time?

• Up to 1 gram

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Over 1 gram and up to 1.5 grams

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Over 1.5 grams and up to 2.5 grams

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Over 2.5 grams and up to 3.5 grams

• Over 3.5 grams

• Total voters
To SilverFucked (great name btw): Thanks for the advice. Question-is the amount you suggested pretty standard for everyone, or can the high be affected by tolerance and/or size? I am just 5'4" and 110 lbs and in terms of stuff like alcohol, I have a low tolerance. Don't know if any of these things contribute at all, but I'm curious. Thanks.

For sure, watch cartoons like you guys said. first time I ate shrooms I watched cartoons and it was amazing. I watched some old daffy duck movie and it was so amazingly funny. then when my trip was totally peaking and I was getting mad visuals I watched fantasia, oh my god that was intense, those little broom stick things in that movie came out of my TV and started dancing towards me, it was kinda freaky but at the same time funny as all hell. When taking shrooms don't fixate on one thing and wait for it to morphe, just watch TV or something like that and wait for your trip to get intense then start looking at things like plants or mini statues in your house and look at them to walk around or something. I also suggest a short walk while peaking, in a safe place though with another person, then watch the trees and lightposts lean over at you, it's amazing. well have fun tripping.

Why on earth would you want to prevent a 'bad trip' these are the most fun. My friend Dready Dan and I often spend time purposefully subjecting ourselves to horrific images and crazy fucked up off beat IDM, creating bad vibes in an attempt to induce 'bad trips'. Have you never experimented to see how much fucked up shit your mind can take? How can you fully enjoy the good if you dont even know the bad?
Also your point 4 is crap. Most people say they have the most fun, and get the most out of a shrooming experiance when they let their mind go wandering. Control in my opinion is a bad thing.
After a 'few' times shrooming you believe you have the experiances to post 'guidelines' for this drug? You need to know what you are talking about first.
Try a bad trip, I say. It may just be the best trip of your life
[ 04 June 2002: Message edited by: Rodder ]

I agree about the bad trip thing. The worst trip I had was the most rewarding longterm. All of the 'happy trips' are fun, but they leave you empty. A bad trip forces you to explore the deel depths of self. You find out a lot of things about yourself that you never thought about. It can be very depressing...

Shrooming first time...

Alright so this saturday I am supposed to try shrooms for the first time with a couple friends it will be my first psychedelic drug experience I guess and one of my friends first aswell. So we plan on doing them at around noonish, but then I have work at 6PM is that going to be much of a problem? It's an easy job a restraunt so I don't have to be all there IMO, but I should be able to function pretty well by then im assuming?

Also I was wondering about dosage, if your bigger do you have to take a larger dose? I know a lot of people who have used shrooms before and I am getting basically two different answers from friends who have used em before. About half are telling me just take 1/2 an 1/8th because it's my first time and then the other half are telling me to take a full 1/8th.

I am 6'0 about 200 pounds if that makes much a difference.

Personally, I'd wait til I had a day off to enjoy the entire experience. You will most likely be pretty much normal 6hrs later, but really, why would you try to shortchange the experience just so you can work. IMHO, I'd wait til you had a day off to enjoy all that the experience has to offer.

Want some good advice, AVOID shrooms! Why start something you don't need, but just want to use for recreation?
Besides to answer one of your questions, if it's your first time, there is no way to predict how they will affect you. My first time we did them around dark, say 6 cuz it was in Winter, and we were fucked up all night. So I doubt you'll make into work. I've seen guys bigger than you trip, and lose it, get scared to death etc. I'm sure shrooms were much different in the 90's, but listen to me. You don't want to start anything you don't need, and if your friends have this planned, and know your a shroomvirgin, then they aren't really friends.

I wouldn't recommend doing them before you have to work. The trip could last longer than expected or could have some aftereffects that would make work difficult. More importantly though is that your trip will change in behavior since you know you have to sober up in a few hours. If you have the whole day free you'll definitely have less hanging over your head and therefor less anxiety (happens to me at least).

Not sure about the dosage since shrooms vary in potency, but both of those doses could work. If you do trip and do go to work after, take the lower dose. Again I recommend you wait until you have a full day to dedicate to the trip and the afterglow, or get out of work that day at least.

dexis said:
Want some good advice, AVOID shrooms! Why start something you don't need, but just want to use for recreation?
Besides to answer one of your questions, if it's your first time, there is no way to predict how they will affect you. My first time we did them around dark, say 6 cuz it was in Winter, and we were fucked up all night. So I doubt you'll make into work. I've seen guys bigger than you trip, and lose it, get scared to death etc. I'm sure shrooms were much different in the 90's, but listen to me. You don't want to start anything you don't need, and if your friends have this planned, and know your a shroomvirgin, then they aren't really friends.

Eh, I wouldn't avoid shrooms. They have an awesome expereince to behold. If you want something to use and have fun before work, I'd suggest weed, wait to trip til you have an entire day or night to fully enjoy and integrate the experience, rushing all of that into the few hours before you have to work is stupid imo. Tripping right before work where you will probably be trailing down the come down of the experience at work is a bad idea. Wait to use it when you can devote all your energy to the trip imho.

Want some good advice, AVOID shrooms

not really good advice........

I'm sure shrooms were much different in the 90's

how so?

i would say take a full day off to enjoy your first shroom trip.
my first trip ever was with shrooms and i came to a state of pure nirvana.
It will open yourself to a whole new world....good luck and have fun.

and remember if you start to get scared...dont worry...everythig will be OK!

dexis said:
Theres no way shrooms were different in the 90s. They are the same dna as they've always been. Some grown indoor now yes but many still go shroom picking.

Also, yes any experience can go bad, theres no equation for shrooms to go worse than anything else on the first time. I had an absolute blast on them and it was purely recreational, but it opened my eyes to the spiritual side of it and I've never been the same since.

and I've never been the same since.

agreed.
and changed for the better.
psychedlics have helped my life is so many areas its amazing
spiritual, intelictual, theraputic, recreational, social, artistic, etc......

Youshould atleast wait till you are off of work in my opinion. There is not need to press your luck. Its not like the Shrooms are going to sprout legs and run away. Think responsibly.

Thanks for the quick responses...

Zagenth: Trust me i'd definately love to do them when I have a day off but I never have a full day off EVER and I really can't afford it right now. M-F I have school, and F-S-S I work. I have worked many times after not sleeping having done ecstasy or speed the night before and ive been fine, I have worked with hangovers from alcohol plenty of times. I don't smoke weed it's not fun for me and just drains me for the whole day.

Dexis: This is totally my plan, I have a jam packed schedule everyweek and i'd definately rather do shrooms and then comedown at work rather than comedown at school or something. Also they can't do them weekdays because our schedules are so different, me at school mornings and them working evenings. I definately have to experience them first, but maybe i'll use them this one time and say i'll never do it again(doubt it even if I have a bad trip i'll prolly wanna try again 4 a good trip), have to try first though for sure. Oh and I already have them in my posession so i'm definately doing em.

Domokun: Thats definately my main concern is the trip lasting too long, and I sort of thought the same thing that I should probably not take a full 1/8th since I know I have work and don't wanna be trippin then. But from what i've read about shrooms it should be done after about 6 hrs right? I wouldnt be worried about sobering up totally(might be fun at work lol) the people at work especially my manager would be happy I finally tried shrooms! He's been telling me for so long ive gotta try em haha, and he will get to be the first one to hear the shroomin story pretty much.

I could get it moved up earlier in the day possibly which might be better I guess maybe 10AM or so. Anyway for the most part what we plan on doing is a nice walk in the park/falls... Theres waterfalls and a creek and shit, should be awesome.

in terms of duration...6 hours is enough time...but you really don't need the pressure of thinking "better eat up" or "shit, i need to start coming down". i'd listen to the others and try to find a free day.

dose wise, i went for the full 1/8th first time, and it was great, but also very intense. i'm a smaller fellow than you though.
i suppose it depends what you're looking for, and how comfortable you feel with yourself.

I'm not saying that smoking weed is the best use for avoiding the aspect. However, using shrooms is a great thing to do, however, doing it at work is a bad idea. Tripping at all, or by yourself, is a thing that you half to think of yourself. Doing it before work is a bad idea, cause that reduces any ability to integrate the experience for yourself, you need that time to actively integrate the experience the trip into your psyche. Think about it that way, and use that time to integrate the experience into your psychedelic psyche.

Sounds like you're going to do them anyways so I suggest moving the start time up to 10am. It'll give you more time to come down and relax before being responsible. You don't want to be coming down off of a trip, especially your first, while working regardless of the level of responsibility. It's very hard to change from tripping to working in this plane of existence so the more time the better (why everyone suggests having a full day free, and even the next day with nothing planned). Quite a bit different than coming down from e or speed.

your gonna need more time to recover, especially from your first trip.

If you take shrooms at noon, and have to be at work at 6, there's a very high probability that you won't be coherent. Depending on how the trip goes, you might still be tripping straight through 6 pm, and if not... you might still be pretty "spun out" or giddy or otherwise incapable of working.

I can also assure you that sitting there at 4pm, thinking "oh crap am I gonna be cool in 2 hours" is going to make you feel hella awkward and probably will be a downer factor on your trip.

If you work weekends and go to school all day... I honestly would say wait til June when school's out. (Shrooms are more fun when it's warm and sunny out, too.)

As for dosage (assuming you do this Saturday or eventually, you'll need to know...), I think most people start with a half an eighth. Some of my lighter-weight friends were honestly eating dirt at that dosage. I have a friend who takes only one gram to trip his balls off. I also have hard-head friends who need a full eighth to get anywhere.

Then again, at 200 lbs... you're a reasonably big guy. It's tough to say. If you're fairly brave, I'd just suck it up and eat the whole eighth. (Then again, this will almost definitely ensure that you have a "full trip" -- I can guarantee that by 6 pm you won't be in a working mood, even if you're "sober". You'll have a lot to think about and all that.) Coming down from shrooms is amazing and beautiful and usually involves lots of thinking and excited talking. In my mind, it's part of the "full experience", and you should really save the shrooms for a time when you can savor this part of it with your friends as well.

It's your first time tripping. Do you really want to half-ass it? :)