View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushroom tolerance?

Lackasham

Bluelighter
I have done mushrooms a handful of times all with minimal effects. The first couple times I did 2 grams and since I was the only one doing it I had no gage to how strong they were. This produced stoning effects and slight psychedelic effects but not near what I was preparing for as I have gathered that mushrooms can be more intense that lsd in most cases.

This last time, not having success with the 2 gram dose I decided to try 3.5 grams and see how that went. A friend of mine also did this dose and tripped very hard. Myself on the otherhand did not. I had slight surface movement, some close eye visuals, and a few abstract thoughts but nothing I wouldn't normally think about anyway. In fact I was talking with a group of friends for 3 hours after consuming the shrooms and I couldn't even tell they had affected me until I left out on my own.

Do I possibly have a naturally high tolerance to shrooms? I want to have a full experience with them so this entices me to maybe try say 5 grams but at the same time I am weary of getting myself in too deep if perhaps the last few times have just been a fluke

Last edited:
Let me start off by saying that this post is in no way a recommendation to take a high dose of any drug irresponsibly.

With that being said, I have come to find over the years that I also feel as if I have a naturally high tolerance to psilocybin. What you are describing sounds very similar to what I experience from psychedelic mushrooms. I have tried them many times over the years, from different sources, etc. The last four times I have ate mushrooms have been over 7 grams, and while everyone else was spun as shit (my one friend lost his shit on a slice of the same mushrooms I had), I just got a nice buzz and ended up driving them around. I have also wondered if it is a natural tolerance, or just something in my head. I think I remember Strassman writing in the Spirit Molecule that he believes a person's tendency to experience psychedelic phenomena has largely to do with the way they were born (C section, the amount of medicine used, if any medicine was used at all during the birth, etc), and that corresponded with me at least, seeing as how I was delivered by C section. I'm no scientist by any means, so I wouldn't begin to argue whether or not his theory is true or not. Just throwing it out there.

It's possible that yolu have a higher tolerance than most people. How long passed between your first and second attempts? I find 7 days for complete elimination of mushroom tolerance myself; 3 days if I want to trip again, but using a higher amount.

There's also the possibility that you had lower quality mushrooms the first and second times. Not necessarily likely, but possible. The way that I used to assess the quality of the mushrooms I had was to grind them up, evenly distribute them and then take a random dose. Honestly though it got tiring pretty fast grinding up 1/4 lb of mushrooms.

Lastly, once you've consumed mushrooms a fair amount, you'll find that getting in too deep can be a thing of unfathomable beauty. But yeah, I understand why you want to work your way up.

So the last few times of yours could have been a fluke, but the more flukes you have, the less likely they are flukes.

Tom

The time between trips was over a month so there was no tolerance built up really. Quality is a question but from what I gathered they were at least average for cubes. I will try the grinding method thanks for that suggestion!

The birth thing is interesting I was birthed by C section as well, may be a correlation?

I'm flipping through the Spirit Molecule now to see if I can find it, no guarantees.

The birth experience is highly psychedelic for the unanesthetized mother. How much more so for the newborn! We know that DMT is present in newborn laboratory animals. There's no reason to believe it's not also present in newborn humans. However, no one has yet looked for DMT in human newborns or their mothers during delivery.

Normal vaginal delivery produces an enormous outpouring of catecholamine release. The massive flooding of these stress hormones over the mother's and fetus's pineal glands may be enough to override the pineal defense system and set in motion DMT release. If the mother is anesthetized, catecholamine production is less, and the least occurs when the baby is delivered by Cesarean section. Therefore, these latter two situations may result in less robust, if any, DMT release by mother's and baby's pineals.

High levels of DMT at birth provide an explanation for a particular piece of conventional wisdom from psychedelic psychotherapy. According to Stanislav Grov, M.D., an LSD psychotherapist with unparalleled experience, much of what takes place during psychedelic therapy sessions is a reenactment of the birth process. He has found that those born by Cesarean section are less able to "let go" in psychedelic therapy than those born vaginally. The presence of psychedelic levels of DMT at normal birth, and inadequate levels during Cesarean birth due to too little stress-hormone-induced DMT output, may explain this finding.

Rick Strassman, "DMT: The Spirit Molecule", pp. 75-76

Alright, so I kind of remembered incorrectly. But who knows, DMT is psilocin are very chemically similar. I sure as hell don't know shit about chemistry of any kind, so I could sound like a total idiot, but is there any way this could influence lifelong psychedelic tolerance? Do you see what I'm trying to get at? Very interesting, all the same.

Last edited:
Alright, so I kind of remembered incorrectly. But who knows, DMT is psilocin are very chemically similar. I sure as hell don't know shit about chemistry of any kind, so I could sound like a total idiot, but is there any way this could influence lifelong psychedelic tolerance? Do you see what I'm trying to get at? Very interesting, all the same.

The "pineal body" releasing DMT is only a pet theory...not a fact...AFAIK.

The vaginal vs C-section birth thing sounds like a crock of shit to me though.

I don't know I have also found when using lsd I also react much differently from my friends. For example they think they are in a time loop I'm like no we are just tripping. They lose their self I am still me. Don't get me wrong I have tripped very hard before but rarely do I "let go" as described in the excerpt you shared. That is quite odd haha

But it very well could be a crock of shit as well. In that case do you still think I have natural tolerance? Should I continue to tread lightly at least a few more times before just diving in?

For sure, I was by no means saying I believe it as a fact. Just thought it was an interesting point to raise.

Lackasham; if you do 'dive in' (I would consider diving in 12+g) at whatever level/eight of mushrooms make sure you're in a 100% safe place and with a good sober sitter in case things start to go weird. You've tried 2 and 3.5g. Why not go to 4.5g next time? There's always time for a 'next time' to try even more if that is what you end up deciding on.

Tom

Tom thank you for the advice! I think your diving in and my diving in are slightly different lol but I see what you are saying and I think I will slowly increase doses. Thanks again

12g+? Holy shitballs lol. I thought 5-8g with my stupidly hard-headed tolerance was pretty hectic hahaha

Thinking I might need to give another 5g+ dried cubes/subs a go very soon.....maybe even 10g and a walk on the golf course if I'm feeling experimental haha

I was thinking the same about the 12 grams lol but the golf course sounds like a spectacular time ? haha

And this coming weekend I'm moving house, which will see me smack bang in the middle of said golf course :D literally. Less than 150m walk from the clubhouse LOL

Not to mention the possibility of finding an abundance of subs all around it :D

12g+? Holy shitballs lol. I thought 5-8g with my stupidly hard-headed tolerance was pretty hectic hahaha

Thinking I might need to give another 5g+ dried cubes/subs a go very soon.....maybe even 10g and a walk on the golf course if I'm feeling experimental haha

Growing them provided me with the opportunity to freely abuse them. 12g was the most I've tried. It's not something that I will likely try again without significant preparation. I accidentally destroyed an iPad by putting it down on a table which wasn't quite there, turned all the lights in the house on and managed to crap myself (convinced I could will my clothes away). I don't have a tolerance, that's the beauty of mushrooms for me; every increase in dosage amps up the trip (at least so far it has).

My common amount is 5-7g. But I've never tripped in public at all; always inside.

Tom

Not to mention the possibility of finding an abundance of subs all around it :D
:D been searching for some at my grandparents farm..no luck yet.

Tom; thats interesting you always trip inside. I find that to be constricting on my trip as I often get claustrophobic

For sure, I was by no means saying I believe it as a fact. Just thought it was an interesting point to raise.

I too have a very high tolerance to dmt...150-300mg doses IM and 12-14 gram doses dried cubes 100-120 grams fresh and am still aware of the goings on....usually at least....not dick measuring...it seems pertinent.
However, smoked DMT is a different story...35-40mg and i'm fucking gone...
I was "naturally born" and still hve a high tolerance to, at least, these particular subs...which contradicts Strassmans theory....whatever though.

You just happen to posses a high tolerance for whatever reason.

Ok another question. Being that I have this seemingly high tolerance I want to up the dose (5 grams probably) but if my before trips were a fluke and this blasts me off into a very strong trip will my previous acid experience help prepare me in any way?