• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

mushroom spores are legal, so why no discussion?

asecin

Bluelighter
i checked all the laws in the US and it doesnt state anywhere having psychedelic mushroom spores is illegal anywhere in any state. i dont understand why its so difficult to get a hold of them then? and why its so difficult for just anybody to grow some? from what i gather, actually growing them and owning the actual mushrooms is illegal in all states, but somehow there is this loop that seems to make it easy accessible for most and yet, no discussion of this that i have seen. and the few sites i used to know were from netherlands selling the spores but they said they cannot ship to US anymore, but why??? it still states LEGAL status!
is it really against the rules to source for material that is LEGAL?? honestly, i need some help here...

It's against the rules to source anything here, licit or not. For instance, Kratom is legal, you can buy it at headshops here; we still don't permit source discussion for it.

We're not here to help you get high, simply to reduce the harm associated with substance use.

If you're simply asking where to procure these spores, then I'm afraid I'll have to close this thread.

I believe with regards to procuring spores in the US its a legal grey area that various agencies can (and no doubt they would) use against you if they have supported evidence that they are intended for cultivation.

Last edited:
Yes while the spores technically aren’t legal, well there’s really no reason to buy spores. The only thing you could possibly use them for is growing, or maybe research but then you’d be SOL if you aren’t a scientist.

Bluelight is a global forum and just because something is legal in the US doesn't mean it is legal everywhere else.

Also, governments and consequently societies in general have a reactionary attitude towards all psychoactive substances, legal or not, so just because something is technically legal, somewhere, doesn't mean it always will be and doesn't mean people won't end up hurting themselves and making the news, which would obviously be a bad thing for Bluelight.

^^ Agreed. Welp...looking at it objectively, OP stated he did want a thread specifically about why theres no discussion of spores on BL (not too much further into anything else pertaining to them aside from sources) and did elicit response.

We can talk about spores, and we've talked about growing mushrooms too, but as to where/how to get spores (or anything else, legal or not, except for harm reduction equipment such as syringes, wheel filters, scales, test kits, etc), discussion is prohibited and Bluelight is not here to help people get drugs. It's not part of our mission and to allow such discussion would undermine our integrity in the public eye.

Shall we discuss spores then, OP?
What sort of discussion (asside from sources) were you ultimately hoping to evoke.

well, im going to get some spores and i apologize if i sounded like i need sources, but i guess ill figure this on my own.
so is it permitted to discuss how to cultivate the mushrooms then? cuz when i do get those spores, ill probably ask how to do it in here. but if thats not allowed its ok ill figure it out by myself, again.
also, question about cultivating your own mushrooms versus just going somewhere and hunting them down in the wild. which is better in your opinion?? as far as i know, here in illinois, there are none. so i would think maybe visiting some of the other states to gather some in the wild might not be a bad idea and its probably much more reliable than trying to grow something you have never done before. so question, if im to hunt some in the wild, which states closest to illinois actually have any??

If youre familiar with Erowid, I would start searching there first in regards to reviewed, published cultivation techniques. Very reliable. But if you want to execute this properly to expect any results, it requires a very sterile evironment, sterile practice, and further sterilization techniques of the gear youre using, so doing this out in the wild or in a rushed manner isnt ideal.

I would be weary about mushroom hunting without experience as there’s several poisonous species very silimar to psilocybin mushrooms that take further education to identify.

I really wish i could be more help to you right now but im on a device that isnt ideal for sending you links or further information that i have at my home, given my current situation. I would also take advantage of the search engine and start reading some older content pertaining to the cultivation process

Maybe someone else can jump in and send you some good starting points

Last edited:
Bluelight is a great site, no doubt, but it is not geared for this type of discussion. Not that it is not allowed, but that the expertise required may not be present at any given time, nor is there much info in the database. I suggest you look at more appropriate source, such as shroomery.org that is devoted to growing mushrooms. The quality of info there will yield much better results.

^^ yes most definitely. Shroomery completely slipped my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
foraging ftw, promise illinois has a few. psilocin mushrooms are almost everywhere that isnt an extreme climate (ie, antarctica)

shroomery is great, facebook has a lot of mycology groups, and buy some books! know which ones will kill you BEFORE you learn which ones wont.

Yes while the spores technically aren’t legal, well there’s really no reason to buy spores. The only thing you could possibly use them for is growing, or maybe research but then you’d be SOL if you aren’t a scientist.

Why is there no point in buying spores when you can use them to grow shrooms and have a large source for yourself?

Seems like a great idea to me that I plan on someday doing.

^^ I believe it was a rhetorical statement in reference to law enforcement. I assume your statement is meant in a rhetorical sense as well.

But yes i agree, it is most definitely something you should do one day. Seeing a chamber full of fungi fruits just before the veil breaks on them is one of the most comforting experiences to behold; for myself and i’m sure any other fungus geek.

Last edited:
^^ I believe it was a rhetorical statement in reference to law enforcement. I assume your statement is meant in a rhetorical sense as well.

But yes i agree, it is most definitely something you should do one day. Seeing a chamber full of fungi fruits just before the veil breaks on them is one of the most comforting experiences to behold; for myself and i’m sure any other fungus geek.

Did you find that it was hard to learn to grow them well?

How long did it take you to get the hang of the process, and how how long does it usually take you to grow a good batch of say...I don't know, like an ounce or so?

Also, what do you think of the idea of micro dosing to help treat anxiety and depression?

^ Mycophile,

My interest in procuring psilocybin mushrooms came at a young age after my first and unexpected +++ experience by ignorantly ingesting an “heroic dose”. Since then, Ive made it a life long passion of mine to dissect and learn as much as i possibly could about the mushroom experience.

Surprisingly mushrooms are relatively low maintenance and easy to grow. That being said, formulating, accumulating and perfecting the right technique and knowledge to do so is where time and perseverance come into play. However once you do so, the ball keeps rolling.

I had many failed attempts at my first go rounds at cultivation and chalk them all up to contamination. I cannot stress this enough...Sterilization! Ideally you want the environment surrounding the inoculation of your first jars as close to surgical room sterile as you would be able to achieve in your designated location.

The jars, subtrate, and other applicable tools should be pressure steamed. Bleach all surfaces (even spray in the surrounding air) gear up the sterile garb and lastly an inoculation chamber is ideal. Photos and more in depth descriptions to these can be found elsewhere.

Once you understand the sterilization aspect of the process, the rest is cake. That is the number one biggest factor in cultivation failure. Again more in depth information can be found elsewhere.

The amount of final product harvested is relative to the amount of jars you innoculate, the condition of the environment inside the jars and consequently the resistance of your mycelium against contamination (which there should be none. If there is, the jar is lost). Dont take any chances with molds or other fungus. The final fruits will be ready for harvest anywhere from 28-38 days in my experience.

Lastly with regards to microdosing, i am not opposed to it being done with psilocybin as a treatment prospect for anxiety and depression however i find there are other psychedelics that may be better suited for this. This is just my personal opinion. The research and accounts of others are out there for you to judge and formulate your own opinions.

I find the mushroom experience is best used for self discovery of underlying issues at larger doses. To be taken in your bed, in the silent dark, eyes closed and with no outside influence. I said it before, that it is here that you will be faced with self realization. Again this is my personal opinion and experience.

That being said, there is a bigger buzz in the medical community regarding micro dosing for depression. From what i read, lysergamides, in particular LSD are being studied and theorized to be promising in treating a spectrum of mental illness from depression to ADD.

Therapeutic micro-doses are considered to be in the ~10ug range, taken once every 3-5 days (dont quote me on the days its not ideal for me send links and cite outside sources atm in my current location). LSD is longer lasting, generally more stimulating, up beat in nature and better geared toward evoking the creative the process, making it more ideal. (not to say mushrooms do not).

This is just a bit of my personal experience and opinion. The rest is up for you to both objectively and subjectively research and formulate your own opinions!

*I no longer cultivate psilocybin mushrooms nor do i any longer possess any materials involved with the process aside from common household items*

Last edited:
We can talk about spores, and we've talked about growing mushrooms too, but as to where/how to get spores (or anything else, legal or not, except for harm reduction equipment such as syringes, wheel filters, scales, test kits, etc), discussion is prohibited and Bluelight is not here to help people get drugs. It's not part of our mission and to allow such discussion would undermine our integrity in the public eye.

Could you recommend a good way of moving past the common PF Tek to someone who is now an expert at keeping contamination to a minimum, growing mycelium, and controlling temp and light/ humidity / air exchange for fruiting chambers? Particularly interested in selecting choice mycelium from for fast growth and fruiting many agar petri dishes, and also generating spore prints / syringes from fresh mushrooms themselves (sorry if any of this is against the rules, I have no idea but sounds to me like it is not).

I have only grown mushrooms once, a long time ago, and it was with one of those grow kits that comes pre-sterilized... so I'm not really the one to ask, but I would imagine someone could respond. Or you could go to the Shroomery because they specialize in that over there.

^^Im going to try to jump in the best i can. I was in no way an expert nor scientist. I just had a love for the psilocybin experience when i was younger as im sure you do.

^^ShroomySatori if youre asking which part of mycelium to cut to transfer to petri, and again cut and transfer to another petri...and so on again to breed choice myc and fruit then i think i can help. An agar sectioning will speed up the process for the cultivator that has had success innoculating/fruiting and wants to keep the fruits coming. Its been a number of years since ive been active so im sure there are other fungus geeks that may be able to jump in and pick apart, criticize or elaborate.

First of all the spore print:
Simple. Ive just always let a freshly picked fruit with the stem removed, sit gill down, cap up on a sheet of foil overnight. The mushroom will do the work for you secreting countless spores. You will wake up to a dark print of spores likened to a human finger print done with with ink and paper. You now have the print.

Every strain has sub-strains that can be selected and bred for their more desirable features such the ability to produce larger denser fruits, high yeilds etc.. If youve already selected a specific strains spore syringe, then you will be selecting and isolating the cream of the crop and ultimately end up with not just a spore print or syringe but create a spore isolate.

From what i was taught and understand there are generally two types of mycelium that you will see grow. You will see and be able to recognize both. The first being rizomorphic and the second being tomentose.

The former (rizo) will be the healthiest and most desirable. The best fruits will generally come from this myc. Has more defined structure, strong and “root like.” (im sorry im unable to include photos right now.) The latter is less defined, weaker, fluffier and “blurry” looking. Again im sorry for my lack of better terms and photos. But this is a place to start.

You will see light breaks and sectors between the two mycs in the petri. Pretty much all initial inoculations will mostly be tomentose in character and will take some time to isolate more rizomorphic growth. This is why youre doing the agar work in the first place but find the best looking part of the myc that you can. This rizomorphic mycelium is the one you will keep cutting separating into petri to fruit. Eventually the rizo will colonize much faster and you should be able to keep cutting; keep the petris coming; keep fruiting them and ultimately keep isolating for choice myc and fruit.

Once youve put the rizomorphic mcy to agar, creating syringes is a pretty simple process. You will be able to create 30+ at a given time from your rizo. Sterilize water and tool to scrape. Find the rizomorphic myc and cut it out (or use spore print); squirt the desired amount of water relative to the amount of syringes you want and scrape and mix. Thats all that ive ever done. Again im sure theres better ways or can be better explained by others.

The only spores ive applied this process to and only ones i cultivated were cubensis golden teachers. This process applies to all, but im just speaking from my personal accounts.

(This was years ago. Im no longer engaged in any sort of procurement or cultivation of any psilocybin containing mushroom)

Last edited: