• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushroom-specific drug myths?

how about:
mushrooms are hard to grow (actually extremely easy)
larger shrooms are more potent
shrooms WILL make you puke
thats all i hear around here.

I'm doing "Mushrooms make your brain bleed" (seeing as how it's not covered with another drug), and "Mushrooms contain LSD" which I still here sometimes. (I don't like shrooms, 'cos acid has more LSD in it :) )

The brain bleed myth is more common with LSD. My friends say it is an acid, it makes your brain bleed. any acid will.. etc..

how about...
"the reason you trip on mushrooms is because they are tricking your brain into thinking its being poisoned"

I know this post is mainly for Psylocybe's but we cannot forget the AMANITAS, (A.K.A. Fly Argaric)
Many people believe amanitas are deadly, but in truth they contain muscarine i believe or a precursor, or whatever, ibotenic acid, that is heated and turned into muscarine, these will blow you mind... lol,

Originally posted by FCT101:
amanitas...contain ibotenic acid, that is heated and turned into muscarine
Upon drying or after being heated, ibotenic acid is converted to muscumol, not muscarine. Muscarine is actually a deadly poison and is found in Amanita muscaria, but is only present in microgram quantities which is not enough to cause a poisoning.

A great mushroom myth I heard relates back to the days of the Christians' Exodus from Egypt. Supposedly, while wnadering through the desert, the poor bastards encountered 'manna from heaven'.
*disclaimer: author is recalling this from freshman year, and many holes have been burned into memory since then*
tribes back in those days probably stayed away from mushrooms, especially displaced tribes like the enslaved Christians, who would not have herbal/fungal knowledge, since they were used as common laborers. The 'manna', which means "bread from heaven" would show up every morning on the ground. Moses instructed (or WAS INSTRUCTED, OOOOO) the Christians to take only what they need for a single day. Those that broke this rule and tried to hoard the manna found it rotting the next morning. The Bible also speaks of the visions this manna brought the wanderers, thus insuring that it was truly given by God to his Chosen.
The myth that I read continued the supposition by relating circumcision to this instance. Supposedly, each male (post circumcision) now had his very own 'mushroom' to remind him of the pact that Abraham and Moses had with The Lord -- who actually sent down food for them, proving his existence!!
umm...rereading this makes me realize that I have my chronology wrong. The people enslaved by the Egyptians would have been early Jews, not Christians. Moses was, after all, before Christ.
CMB, definitely do some research in the Lycaeum and the Shroomery. I used to haunt over there and I'm sure a search on 'circumcision' would yield this story.

um, to tie that all together....
it's really probable that they came across huge amounts of psychedelic mushroom patches that were scattered in that area. as they certainly tend to make turn MY mind towards the otherwordly, I can certainly put a burning bush in perspective now.
Pretty crazy, no?

"mushrooms/lsd both burn holes in your brain and kills brain cells. Thats what the trip is - brain cells being killed."
I heard that a week ago.

How about any "universal" rule regarding the proper identificaion of wild mushrooms, i.e. "all mushrooms bruise blue" "all mushrooms have brown or grey gills" "mushrooms with white gills are poisonous" etc. I have heard a lot of myths like these, and the truth is that no one rule covers the whole spectrum.

My favorite myth is "If you're having a bad mushroom trip, you should drink milk, it stops the trip immeadiately"........ya right, in about 4-6hours.

Good suggestions, all.
I'm actually doing the "Milk is the antidote for a bad trip" under the acid chapter, but I guess it "makes more sense" to put it in the shrooms section.
I'm going to add a section on sniffing cow dung, too. Even though I haven't heard of anyone other than the Weekly World News suggesting it can be done, I'm sure there'll be people doing it eventually.
Shrooms get you high, shrooms grow on cow shit, therefore, cow shit gets you high.

Hey, put me in your book!
I don't have anything that hasn't been said as far as misconceptions, but I do have a theory about shrooms...
Like several others, I believe that a great portion of all religion stems (no pun intended) from visions encountered while under the influence of a number of items found in nature. No matter who started it, these natural psychadelics became pretty important to priests/shamans centuries before the Old Testament.
If you were God (and maybe you are...), and you wanted to hide the Key to Understanding in a place where only the most ardent seekers would look, wouldn't one location be on a pile of manure? Or hanging from the side of a tree in a most unappealing manner? Speaking for myself, I wouldn't have had the cojones to eat something that looked so unappetizing without knowing the immediate benefits.
Then again, hunger will make a person do some off-the-wall shit.
Regardless, I'm glad someone did try it, and that they saw fit to pass the knowledge along.
Good luck with your manuscript, Bunny.

I would be careful about telling people that you can't overdose on shrooms. I have known people who were "poisoned" by shrooms and had to have their stomachs pumped. I don't really know if they could have died or not, but I am sure no one here has done any real reaserch on the subject, so a definitive answer to this question is not within our reach. All I'm saying is lawsuits are bad. Also, didn't you know that "magik mushroomz" are just reagular mushrooms with acid droped on them? Comeon, everyone knows that.
peace

Eh, I'll probably have people come up with other reasons to sue me...
Yeah, you can make yourself really sick by eating an assload of shrooms, but I have little reason to doubt that it could be life threatening unless you aspirate your vomit or put yourself in the way of physical harm.
There's also the dangers of contaminated shrooms, and people not knowing what the hell they're picking. I'm addressing these.
Also, I'm trying to stay away from folklore - I'm addressing WWI amphetamine use, and going into the Civil War era for a little bit of a talk on painkillers, but that's about it...
(up to 85 pages, if anyone cares)

FoolyCooly.
85 pages? Real nice. You could always add the "acid melts your tongue" or "tripping on shrooms at a concert or in a club can have adverse effects on your hearing". The second one is my FAVORITE, considering the fact that the music is obscenely loud in either case, and I don't think mushrooms are gonna do jack more.

I tend to believe what I've read countless times about cubes not being poisonous in any amount that you could possibly eat. I've eaten ~40 full size cubes over the course of 2 hours and although it was probably the strongest mushroom experience I've ever had, I didn't even begin to feel sick. If anybody thinks they can poison themselves on those, good luck.

As to the acid in (some) shrooms myth, although I've read it at least a few times I can't remember how believable the sources were. I don't find it entirely hard to believe though. Back when acid was plentiful and cheap and shrooms were much harder to find than they are today (thanks to people coming up with teks that don't involve the massive mycological effort that once had to be undertaken to grow them) it doesn't seem too unreasonable that somebody would use $1 worth of acid to make $20-$40 worth of "shrooms" out of plain mushrooms. It would be ridiculous to do today, but back then a person could have made a lot of money like that.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of myth you're looking for, but I think the McKenna stories should qualify as mushroom myths. He has stated theories claiming that psilocybin mushrooms were a key element in the development of consciousness as we know it. They were sent by aliens to communicate with us or sometimes he thinks the mushrooms are the actual aliens.

http://www.deoxy.org/mushword.htm