• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushroom-specific drug myths?

There's always the good-old-fashioned "mushrooms [or hallucinogens in general] make you crazy and you won't know where or who you are ever again if you eat them" kind of thing ;)
[ 11 January 2002: Message edited by: spinkle ]

The belief of Santa Clause is possilby related to mushrooms....
The nomadic tribes of eastern europe back in the middle ages and such use to eat mushrooms daily. For those of you who don't know, reindeer do exist, and they can be found in the woods of eastern europe. Anyways, since the nomads ate large quanities of mushrooms, they experienced a lot of hallucinations, a common one was to see reindeer flying. Now just add a jolly old fat man on a sleigh and you have Santa Clause and his flying reindeer.
So next time someone tells you drugs are bad, ask them if they like christmas...

I think the most common myth revolving around mushrooms is that the cap is more hallucinogenic than the stem. Simply not true.
Oh, and I've heard from quite a few people not to eat too many mushrooms or you can die. In all reality you would vomit the sheer VOLUME of mushroom material up before you could ingest enough psilocybin to kill you. So, for all practical purposes, you CAN NOT eat enough mushrooms to kill you.
[ 11 January 2002: Message edited by: acid_raver ]

I bet The Shroomery has a ton of information for you. My favorite common misperception regarding shrooms has been the way most people seem to think all psychedelic mushrooms come from cow shit and that all mushrooms growing in cow shit are hallucinogenic.
I knew a guy once who put a box of cow dung under his bed waiting for shrooms to grow. Never got any but god did his room stink.
Pure

Just about every LSD myth I've heard applied to mushrooms as well.. I've heard the one about the guy who thought he was a glass of orange juice and somebody pushed him over and he died (I think this is a little more extreme version of the orange "Don't peel me!" myth). Of course the story about people who jumped out of windows thinking they can fly.
-ikarus

Ooh, good one about the mushrooms killing you...
I completely forgot about DJ Skinny Gee and the 40 pounds of shrooms he allegedly ate.
I haven't heard this one too much, but I'm going to go into the "Super Mario Bros. is intentionally about shrooms" concept, and the tendancy of drug users to read way too far into things.

People DO jump out of windows thinking they can fly. It might not be just the acid, maybe they are idiots or have mental problems. But its happened before. Some guy even admitted to jumping out a car on acid or mushrooms here on BL recently.

When I was a little kid by mum told me that 'Magic Mushrooms' were made from petrol. I believed her too....

well i think the most comon fear is that somewhere in the food chain somebody will mistake poison zooms for fun ones.. uhm i'm pretty sure that shrooms in mario bros are intentional CrystalMethBunny in the eighties being a video game programmer was one of the only occupations for cool people.. anyway most of the things that can go wrong with zoom zoooms aside from having a bad trip arn't really miths they're just VERY slight possibilities .. that's not much fun so how's about this one --- it is possible for a person while on shrooms to actually slip through a dimentional vortex in which there DNA will likely b combined with the DNA of the mushrooms when on the other side they can look forward to being chased by 'other' sentient beings wishing to become more enlightened who see the fatefull tripper as a good source of psychedelic nourishment.. thier logic, a totally understandable " well if God didn't want us to eat them then why did he make them so trippy ! " and well of course no one can confirm this story ... because NO ONE HAS EVER MADE IT BACK WITH OUT BEING EATEN HA HA HAHA HA te he ..

My friend from school, hold on correction. My dumbass friend from school, told me that eating more then 5 grams of shrooms would make you trip forever you would not come down. He even told me he knew someone who cannot come down from their trip..
I simply slapped him on the head.

and i quote from last night:
"mushrooms make your brain bleed".
peace! :)

I've found that a lot of people believe that the amount of blueing shown on the mushroom is directly relative to how much poison is in the mushroom, which in turn is what makes you trip as your brain melts away.
Of course the blueing is bruising of a tender fungi, but no one pays attention.

Okay - so far I have:
*You can eat enough mushrooms to kill you;
*You're being poisoned when you eat mushrooms
*Mushrooms must be grown from cow shit/any mushroom growing on cow shit must contain psilocybin
Most of the 'psychedelics make you crazy' etc. are being covered in the LSD chapter.

Yeah, I'm aware people have jumped out of windows thinking that they can fly, but when most people talk about it they make it sound like it happens about every other acid trip. And I didn't think I could fly, I just thought I'd be able to roll right down the road Splatt :)
-ikarus

alot of people i've talked to actualy believe that the spores are where all the psylocibin is. but in fact, when a mushroom starts 'going to seed' (so to speak) it loses potency -- that's why spores are legal to own.
disciple

I hear "mushrooms make your brain bleed" and "acid makes your brain bleed" a lot around here
I usually correct people, and they retort with "what do a bunch of internet idiots know"
hehe

How about "mushrooms are an easier trip than LSD" or "mushrooms are absolutely safe because they're *natural*." So are rattlesnakes, dude.

When I was a little kid by mum told me that 'Magic Mushrooms' were made from petrol. I believed her too....
Thats weird.
Some of the natives in Australia like to sniff petrol to get high. Its a big problem in some areas.. Not saying that only aboriginies do it, but they seem to do it more than anyone else. Apparently sniffing petrol can be psychedelic. I think its just idiotic though.

If you eat mushrooms, mushrooms will start to grow on your spine! It's true... really true ;)