• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Most ridiculous prejudices against drug users

That there is no possibility that a drug user could be intelligent. In fact the most intelligent man I've ever known was a homeless heroin addict, the man had gone to school to be a neurosurgeon and was a year or so from finishing when his wife and daughter died in a car crash, after which I dropped out of life and fell into addiction.

the majority of people sharing this viewpoint believe that a god impregnated a virgin whore and then made us kill his son so that he could for give our sins. This really needs no further explanation

the majority of people sharing this viewpoint believe that a god impregnated a virgin whore and then made us kill his son so that he could for give our sins. This really needs no further explanation

OK, so tread lightly here and FTR, I'm no religious nut by a long long shot. To set the record straight, the Virgin Mary was not a whore, as you stated, please note the word "Virgin". However, Mary Magdalene was according to everything I've read, same first name and all, I get it. I just think tossing around religious comments whilly nilly like that is just not necessary. Otherwise, most of the prejudices I've read so far are absolutely spot on!

No its more like the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree

OK, so tread lightly here and FTR, I'm no religious nut by a long long shot. To set the record straight, the Virgin Mary was not a whore, as you stated, please note the word "Virgin". However, Mary Magdalene was according to everything I've read, same first name and all, I get it. I just think tossing around religious comments whilly nilly like that is just not necessary. Otherwise, most of the prejudices I've read so far are absolutely spot on!

Sorry but you realize that this is where almost all anti-drug bias in the western world came from. In indigenous cultures those that use drugs are the highest members of society the priests the shamans the elders etc.

I think she was a whore because she actually cheated or lied about sex before marriage and now look what we have to deal with.

Sorry about the derail though...I tend to blame religion for a lot of things. That's what that Christian School education my parents said for got them.

That IV drug use is worse than any other method of delivery and that IV users are crazy, shot-out, and are of generally worse character than all other users. Getting high is getting high, period. Regardless of your DOC and method of delivery no one type of user is better or worse than another. Everyone is different and IV drug use has different affects on each user. But in the end drugs are drugs and getting high is getting high.

That IV drug use is worse than any other method of delivery and that IV users are crazy, shot-out, and are of generally worse character than all other users. Getting high is getting high, period. Regardless of your DOC and method of delivery no one type of user is better or worse than another. Everyone is different and IV drug use has different affects on each user. But in the end drugs are drugs and getting high is getting high.

IV use carriers significant risks that other routes simply don't have. bacterial infection, endocarditis, abscess, amputations, etc. also easier to overdose on. Its a higher level of drug use imoo

This is a thread I've been waiting for.
My wife left took the kids I dropped out of life like BTtubbs story.

I would have recived more sympathy had I attempted suicide.

A person convicted of misdemeanor possesion cannot receive food stamps but a convicted murder/rapist/child molester can.

We are treated worse than used car dealers, lawyers, politicians...and who is really fucking up society?

We use because of our pain.

I think people have already hit on most of the prejudices that would come to mind for me but all I'd say is that a whole lot of the prejudices drug users get are either the same or very similar to those with any kind of mental illness, depression, anxiety, etc.

Some of them are different because at least SOME people realize that having mental illness is something that is generally at least SOMEWHAT more out of your control than your drug use and it's hard to view being mentally ill as "hedonistic" in the same sense as drug taking, but by and large those who don't use drugs or having mental illness view both types of people as being weird, possibly dangerous, sick, incapable of being productive members of society, lazy, entitled freaks who blame their issues on society or aren't willing or able to "man up" and deal.

The mental and emotional experiences of both drug users and the mentally ill are generally not considered relevant in the same way as those that "normal" people have to deal with, they are seen as "1st world problems", that would simply "go away" if they were forced to deal with more "real" issues like fighting for survival (as if that's not something both types have to do regularly in different ways), and the feelings and thoughts both types have are considered very "questionable" in their worth, or really whether or not they are even "real" at all by "normal people".

Normal people think both types are always asking for "hand outs" (not that there aren't some who are SOMETIMES), who are incapable of helping themselves, and who are not worth wasting time on or around, and also, on lots of dating sites I see women post on their profiles that they are unwilling to date guys who use drugs or have any kind of "mental issues" and every time I see that (and I've seen it A LOT) I get pissed off at how judgmental those girls seem.

So yeah, there's a lot of similarities, and of course lots of drug users have mental issues and vice versa.

On top of that is of course the paradox that while there are unintelligent, lazy and mean drug users and people with those same qualities who are mentally ill, both categories of people also often have members who are highly intelligent, artistic, empathetic, and capable of offering society certain things that are quite unique which under certain conditions may be impossible for "straight" people to offer in the same way.

As someone mentioned before, many of the shamans/medicine men in certain native cultures were drug users, and also many of them had mental illness and also many of the great geniuses and artists of society were drug users and/or had some mental issues.

I read recently on some facebook link that Native shamans of various cultures believe people with mental illness like schizophrenics are actually mystics who are gifted and who would make good shamans and that when they have seen how these people are treated in mental hospitals they think it is absolutely horrible.

It generally comes down to fear from "straight people" with both drug users and the mentally ill: they cannot understand or interpret the way these people think and realize they may be more difficult to program societally speaking and so they shun them.

This is a thread I've been waiting for.
My wife left took the kids I dropped out of life like BTtubbs story.

I would have recived more sympathy had I attempted suicide.

A person convicted of misdemeanor possesion cannot receive food stamps but a convicted murder/rapist/child molester can.

We are treated worse than used car dealers, lawyers, politicians...and who is really fucking up society?

We use because of our pain.

you can't get food stamps if you have misdemeanor drug conviction? is that everywhere or just in the south?

I know any form of felony disqualifies you for FAFSA, no college for you.

If you do drug, you ARE an addict. even if you just do it in the weekend, even if you just do drugs few times on a year. and if you tell people that you just do drugs sometimes you are lying. because ALL drug user lies about their use and the bottom line is:

THE ONLY CURE IS TO GO TO REHAB AND JOIN AA/NN (and go to meetings for the rest of your life)

If you do drug, you ARE an addict. even if you just do it in the weekend, even if you just do drugs few times on a year. and if you tell people that you just do drugs sometimes you are lying. because ALL drug user lies about their use and the bottom line is:

THE ONLY CURE IS TO GO TO REHAB AND JOIN AA/NN (and go to meetings for the rest of your life)

You don't have a lot of experince with people that use, do you?

Bluelight is a place dedicated to harm reduction. I feel like wagging your finger isn't helping.

There was a catholic priest who said it succinctly: AA works best for most.

When one deal in absolutes, I think one sets themselves up for failure. Rarely, in my experience, is anything always, never, or only.

BTW, I'd rather not be a drug addict. I am what I am.

You don't have a lot of experince with people that use, do you?

Bluelight is a place dedicated to harm reduction. I feel like wagging your finger isn't helping.

There was a catholic priest who said it succinctly: AA works best for most.

When one deal in absolutes, I think one sets themselves up for failure. Rarely, in my experience, is anything always, never, or only.

BTW, I'd rather not be a drug addict. I am what I am.

It's hard to tell since this is their first post, and I could be wrong, but I think they're giving an example of a prejudice against drug users. Not actually engaging in one themselves.

Though it does make me think of a stereotype I hate. Which is that only abstinence is recovery. Methadone and subuxone have helped so many people and have great stats when compared with abstinence.

This is something I've had to go over with my mother a few times, since she sometimes talks about hoping I get off methadone eventually. Cause she feels so long as I'm on it I'm still a slave to a drug. Which, isnt entirely untrue, but it has to be kept in its proper context. There are a lot of dangers posed by getting entirely clean. I've had to have a few discussions with her explaining that I'll probably be on methadone a long time.

It's hard to tell since this is their first post, and I could be wrong, but I think they're giving an example of a prejudice against drug users. Not actually engaging in one themselves.

Though it does make me think of a stereotype I hate. Which is that only abstinence is recovery. Methadone and subuxone have helped so many people and have great stats when compared with abstinence.

This is something I've had to go over with my mother a few times, since she sometimes talks about hoping I get off methadone eventually. Cause she feels so long as I'm on it I'm still a slave to a drug. Which, isnt entirely untrue, but it has to be kept in its proper context. There are a lot of dangers posed by getting entirely clean. I've had to have a few discussions with her explaining that I'll probably be on methadone a long time.

OMG, I'm such a complete doofus. Thx!

Don't feel too bad, I read it the same way forgetting this was the prejudice thread.

As someone who takes desoxyn, I definitely have gotten weird looks from pharmacists, albeit very subtle. Like one other poster said, the effects of taking meth on your body aren't binary like many people think.

Another one is growing up, my parents were always very anti-drug, of course. At this point, my dad makes comments sometimes by labeling any drug user as a junkie who sits around chasing a high all day every day. It's gotten better considering I've obviously had to tell him what I take as well as my kratom use, but he and many others I know still hold that view of any type of drug user.

I do my best to educate friends on the dangers but potential benefits of various drugs so that they can see them from a more intelligent viewpoint. Many of these stereotypes are fueled by ignorance and anecdotal evidence so I believe we all have a duty to use responsibly and educate those around if we want to change the average person's view.

I feel like there's a lot of prejudice coming from drug users as well. If you smoke weed, drink a lot of alcohol and smoke cigarretes all day you're just a normal human being who likes to have fun, you can do mdma and sometimes even cocaine from time to time and many people won't thing too badly of you. But as soon as you touch anything else you're automatically a drug addict who's destroying his brain.

I feel like there's a lot of prejudice coming from drug users as well. If you smoke weed, drink a lot of alcohol and smoke cigarretes all day you're just a normal human being who likes to have fun, you can do mdma and sometimes even cocaine from time to time and many people won't thing too badly of you. But as soon as you touch anything else you're automatically a drug addict who's destroying his brain.
Well put.
Keep going with that thought and you get to oxy aficionados who look down on BTH users.
Stigma hampers harm reduction and recovery.