• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Most emotionally numbing drugs?

Alcohol, opiates, and from what my friends who were addicted to them tell me: Benzodiazapines, and basically any downer.

As a teen I wanted to use ludes/Quaaludes sooo bad but Pill Cosby hoarded them all! :(

I can’t think of an emotionally numbing drug where there isn’t a rebound effect with your emotions feeling twice as bad after a short respite.

Lyrica/pregabalin
For me that is one of the few that leaves my emotions intact. Unlike Benzo's.

But the longterm drugs, I mentioned Valproic Acid. But that most prob counts for SSRI's to. That are numbing drugs. Add antipsychotic's and you'll have an comprehensive list.

For me that is one of the few that leaves my emotions intact. Unlike Benzo's.

But the longterm drugs, I mentioned Valproic Acid. But that most prob counts for SSRI's to. That are numbing drugs. Add antipsychotic's and you'll have an comprehensive list.
Can valproic acid help with anxiety and depression do you know? I think I have some of it somewhere.

Can valproic acid help with anxiety and depression do you know? I think I have some of it somewhere.
Not noticed by me. Took a while before I realized I was turning into a zombie. But VPA feel's nothing like a GBA-ergic

Mirtazepine and Pregabalin did improve my social skills, wonderfull combo in my case. And good AD, Mirtazepine imo.

Antipsychotics
Opiates
Benzos

Dissasociatives might work too but never been on them around the clock so don't really know

Some dissociatives like deschloroketamine seem to selectively mask / inhibit / suppress negative emotions in me. What initially felt like a win in the lottery turned against me, horribly. Over time (I was on it 24/7 for months) I lost perception for what's good for me and what not, who and who not, where to stop etc. and I slipped into the worst, self-destructive depression - I was depressed and self-destructive before this period of compulsive use though, and initially it was the single most fucking euphoric and dis-inhibiting experience I've ever had and maybe ever will have. Thrashed good part of my life and maybe neurological health (and this possibly not even from the dissociatives but from toxic by-products but this I'll never know for sure unless somebody else shows up who did even more of the same stuff and got even worse problems and those analyzed). Don't do it.

Besides that, I find opioids to be more numbing than dissociatives.
But is it really possible not to feel anything or will you feel that you don't feel and this' like shit?
Is it desirable?

I know, antipsychotics have the reputation of being emotionally numbing but they fail for me, altogether. They don't feel numb, but intoxicated, in a very bad way. Like I'd be going to die if they'd force me to continue on a high dose of this stuff, quetiapine is specially bad but all of them are toxic imho. D2 antagonism was a good theory but it was flawed and showed to be wrong - we have D2 agonists which not only don't worsen psychosis but can even aid with it (granted, memantine's the only one I know of, but opioids too increase DA throughput and are considered antipsychotics.)

heavy antipsychotics and certain antidepressants have made me nearly emotionless

alcohol (although this can backfire and make you release your emotions!!, depends on the person)
opiates
benzos
just downers in general

I've also routinely used psychedelics to escape from emotions but I would never advise someone else do that.

Meth, too, I guess. (but probably not a good idea for others..)
coke...

you know, I'm a poly addict. Almost all drugs help me drown out my emotions....

SSRI's, some Benzodiazepines. Fentanyl in particular of opioids.
Anti-Psychotics the most, though.
I'm prescribed Quetuapine and Thorazine and if I take them regularly I have no emotional reaction to anything. The house could be on fire and all I'd do is probably binge on carbs then take a nap.

After trying quetiapine in small dosages of 25mg for sleep, i'd never try an antipsychotic with antihistamine activity again. It made me feel tired and weird for ~18 hours since ingestion, even although i slept for more than 8 hours.

For me methamphetamine in high doses takes the cake. I don't really feel any emotions on it..... maybe anger. But certainly not sadness. I don't really give a shit on this stuff. Living on Valium pegged it with the description.... cold.

I'm surprised ppl keep saying alcohol. Drunk ppl are the exact opposite of what i would describe as emotionally numb. They are belligerent amd just wild.

Opioids #1
Is my amswer....until they wear off that's is.then the demon comes out.

Spice/synthetic marijuana did me in. It is one of those drugs that is cheaper to buy in a 'getting high' sense. It is really big in the homeless communities here.
The many times I used it for some reason or another I didn't feel so alone and depressed in reality I am drooling on myself with a blank look on my face.

I can still feel happy & lovey-dovey and even angry on opioids. So while they suppress bad emotions, they don't suppress emotions entirely.

I'd say buprenorphine numbs my emotions pretty good, even the good ones unfortunately. It's obviously an opioid but I was able to still feel happiness, excitement, etc.. on heroin & other full agonists. This can be beneficial though for those with borderline personality disorder or emotion regulation problems. But it comes at the cost of not being able to feel happy again.

Antidepressants (SSRIs) also act like this to a degree.

Probably they have been mentioned numerous times (didn't read the thread just giving input) but antipsychotics hands down. Older generation do the best work in this regard. Complete blockage of serotonin and dopamine systems is the definition of emotional numbness in my view. No other class can hold a candle to this one in this regard.