Minimal & The Like - The Official Minimal & Minimal-esque Thread!

Minimal is an adjective, not a box that something fits into 100%. I think his stuff blurs through a few descriptive adjectives. Some of the other stuff on that list could be called deep, techno, IDM, etc. I just like fat bass, stripped down percussion and 4 on the floor I can dance to. I know it's a huge list, but there's good stuff on there

:D

You are right about that. I guess when I think of minimal I just think of minimal techno. Of course you could have minimal everything else too! :)

I think 'minimal' always used to be an adjective (and still is). But now it is also a noun, i.e. the genre 'minimal' (which IMO was invented by Ricardo Villalobos around 2001/2002). And I think it's the genre 'minimal' that StarOceanHouse had in mind when he started this thread.

:)

Well, it's a huge list and most of it falls right into the genre of "minimal" as a noun. Believe me, I'm very into "noun minimal" and if you disregard the artists based off Justin Martin being on there, then that's a shame.

I know minimal. I've lived in Barcelona, been to DEMF, Minitek, seen Richie Hawtin DESTROY Amnesia in Ibiza, and the list goes on. However, if you limit your scope of listening to what fits nicely into a single box, you are really missing out on things that draw heavily from minimal, and in turn shape the direction that "minimal" evolves. Look at Seth Troxler. I'd consider his production to be fairly minimal (Love Never Sleeps), yet he will mix in things like a Michael McDonald track. I mean...WTF, but it works.

The name of the thread is "minimal & minimal-esque", not "mnml µsc".

Anyway, just wanted to share some of the artists that I enjoy.
What you do with the info is up to you

=D

Well, it's a huge list and most of it falls right into the genre of "minimal" as a noun. Believe me, I'm very into "noun minimal" and if you disregard the artists based off Justin Martin being on there, then that's a shame.

Disregard? Seeing the name Justin Martin did the complete opposite for me! I think I shall look through that list. =D

James Holden
Nathan Fake
Paul Kalkbrenner
Gui Boratto
Extrawelt

Essential for fans of minimal techno/IDM. See James Holden, "Corduroy", Nathan Fake, "Superpositions", Paul Kalkbrenner, "Atzepeng", Gui Boratto, "Terminal" and Extrawelt, "Soopertrack".

Ya'll are forgetting Rob Hood, UR and Drexciya. But then again, some of the artists mentioned before I wouldn't consider minimal. Really, it's hard to classify. Also, Omar-S.

Andrea Roma!! my favorite minimal dj :)

and I recently started listening to Paco Osuna

Nice. Where at?

He was in my town on friday haha didnt get to go though :\ let me know how he is live :)

Last edited:
In Denver. It was an awesome party- unfortunately I didn't stay to see his full set because I had to work in the morning today (his set was from 2-5am)

Pretty much any artist on the M-nus label are amazing! Good minimal techno can be hard to find in the states, although It is around its by far too rare a commodity. Too many kids want their shitty ass dubstep and shitty electro(not saying dubstep and electro are shitty, just seems to be that the more mainstream areas of these genres are terrible)

Pretty much any artist on the M-nus label are amazing! Good minimal techno can be hard to find in the states, although It is around its by far too rare a commodity. Too many kids want their shitty ass dubstep and shitty electro(not saying dubstep and electro are shitty, just seems to be that the more mainstream areas of these genres are terrible)

I couldn't agree more. Richie Hawtin at Skylab in Co. Springs 1999 and Matthew Dear at the Masonic Temple Ballroom in Detroit in 2004 are among the best live sets I've seen.

I wish dubstep hadn't killed drum and bass in Denver.

On a positive note, I get to see Patrick Russel spin on NYE.

minimal is for me the style of choice.
but does it really still exist?

I think when minimal was special and became *big* it started to shape and transform techno itself, everywhere are minimal elements now.

minimal merged with the rest of it and changed it. I wander what will come next. Dubstep? oh god I cant stand it.

haha, nice that there is a minimal thread and a electronic music forum here. brilliant. just made a newyear set yesterday morning. will upload it now.

NICE list of artists! I would add Niederflur though, they are the dogs bollocks. :) I know, its not a proper list, just from your itunes...

CHECK this guy if you dont know him - Eric Cloutier. bloody brilliant dj, long afterhourlike sets, spinns from deephouse through detroit, minimal and techno but with amazing skillz. here is his site : http://www.elementeight.net/ and what is great about him is that he always uploads sets! there are quite a few to grab on the page. I recommend all of them, but if you really like old minimal get the set he played at Globus(Tresor) Berlin from 1998!

Last edited: