• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Migraines caused by marijuana?

I do stay pretty well hydrated so i dont think thats the problem

^it depends, if you get the right meds you can abort it and have it be over in a few hours, if not it can last for days. i know the trigeminal nerve is involved, its like ringing a bell with a stick, or with a hammer. the harder you ring it, the longer its going to vibrate.

Intresting to see so many migraine sufferers, sad to say I am one as well, been getting them for the past 23 years. I think if you are prone to them, you have to watch for triggers. the most common is tyramine so anything aged specifically cheeses, cured olives, ripe banana, also dark chocolate (from the theobromine i think) i mean i could go on and on. I have been a daily smoker for about the past decade and its the one thing that has helped keep them in check. i still get them from time to time, and sometimes they are so bad i have to go to the ER and get pumped full of triptans and sedatives, but they are not as bad when im not smoking. plus the older ive gotten the less frequent they have become, but when i get one its pretty severe.

I have noticed that i will occasoinally get a dull migraine from smoking tons of weed all day long. i have even gotten a sharp pain behind my right eye after toking that went away after smoking more....so i think everyone is different in their migraine experience. I get really bad light and sound sensitivity, extreme nausea to the point of puking, and horrendous pain behind usually my left eye.

i have had migraines that have lasted days before, smoking would dull the symptoms but wouldnt actually abort it. I have tried just about everything with the exception of botox which i have heard works great to keep them at bay for like 6 months or so at a time. beta blockers, triptans, barbituates and so on. I can say my preferred cure these days is like 30mgs of valium and immitrex nasal spray. its not as good as an injection, but its far better than swallowing a pill. i get almost instant relief as i feel the drug coat my sinuses, btw i spray the single dose to the side that has the most pain, and if i can keep the valium in my stomach within an hour or so i am at least ambulatory, ive been stuck before with no meds and wanted to nick my temporal artery with a razor to let the pressure out lol good thing i didnt.

one other trigger that is a true beast is booze, especially anything aged, wine, port, whisky, ect. like 9 out of ten times if i get plastered ill wake up hungover with a migraine, and i mena a bad migraine, puking all day, laying in bed feeling like im dying.

my suggestion would be to keep a journal for like 2 months, charting when you get them and when you dont, what you have eaten and so on. not eating and being dehydrated will get me everytime. like posted above, if you are prone to them, there are literally dozens of things that can set them off, sometimes it doesnt make sense, the weather is a common culprit, baromoteic pressure change to be exact. to this day i can tell if its raining or going to rain by the way my head feels.

i feel for you, if you have never had one before you cant describe it to anyone, its not just a "really bad headache" my old bupe dr used to get them as well, she told me she had a migraine so bad one time it caused neurological symptoms in her, like paralysis on that side of her body.

my advice would be to stop taking the weed orally, i feel that since you get all those cannabinoids that are destroyed by the flame, it raises your BP and can bring one on. keep a journal, know your triggers and keep a medicine that works for you close by at all times. good luck.

I was a long time migraine sufferer
A number of years ago I grew the best of the best bc bud known to man , and at times I've gotten headaches from my own dope . I grew up smoking gold seal black and every once in a while a migraine would kick in that would make a soft pillow too hard to rest my head on .
hash , oil , or pot , it didn't matter which one I'd smoke because each one would hit me the same . It wasn't frequent but when they hit it hurt a lot and smoking more would only compound the pain .
I rarely get them since I quit smoking all together . it affects everyone differently . My kid is now suffering from daily migraines which led me to stumble across this thread since I'm having my suspicions about the causes . he doesn't know how hardcore the ol man was (and never will) but it may be time for another talk

Cannabis use lowers blood pressure. Low blood pressure can cause migraines, at least in some people.

Cannabis does lower my blood pressure. But it doesn't cause me migraines or headaches.

I also get migraines from time to time, however they're not much like how you describe. They always start with an aching neck which spreads to the back of my head. The pain is dull, but quite intense (which sounds like a contradiction, but somehow isn't). It's also always associated with nausea (80 % of migraine sufferers gets that), and often with compulsive vomiting. I've never gotten one from smoking weed. In fact, if I do something that increase the risk of migraines smoking a bit of weed before bed drastically reduces the chances of it.

Do you get these migraines if you ingest the weed in stead? CO and CO2 are known to trigger migraines and other headaches.

I get it from certain batches. I think it has to do with not flushing, and chlorophyll content. My friend just harvested and does everything as right as he can... and the buzz is just right, with no headache.

I get migraines/headaches almost every time I smoke, but it doesn't set in until my high starts to come down. First off, I have noticed an increase in migraine/headache intensity always comes hand in hand with an increase in dosage. Sometimes I just have a few one hitters and get no aches or pains. Second, the lighting also makes a difference for me. When I'm in the dark watching videos I get a pretty bad pain around my eyes or the sides of my head (which is weird since it seems counterintuitive given the sensitivity to light). I'm guessing it's because of the strain the lighting is putting on my eyes, or maybe being in the dark makes my pupils dilate further letting in too much light? So when I turn on the light, go outside, or just get high in the light it isn't so bad. Next, I have noticed that what I'm doing also matters. For example if I'm laying around I will get a throbbing pain on the back of my head near the base of my skull. But upon standing or sitting up I can feel the pain melt away. This probably agrees with an earlier post about reduced blood flow.

I have gotten a weed headache but it will pass only last about a day it happens when I was smoking some good shit it was not a big deal I would not worry about it

I used to use weed to abort migraines. It'd usually make them more intense but shorter, turn the migraine into more of an intense 'whitey', I'd get halfway down a joint & then puke, then I could sleep it off after finishing the joint.

ok here what i have to say....i thought weed used to give me migraines untill my friend wesmdow (rip) pointed out the fact that everytime i smoke i cough my brains out....now that was my case the coughing cuased headaches other then that weed has never given me a direct hedache and always cures my nasuea and other illness's.....but i know what your talking about OP nothing to be scared of...

I have actually got headaches probably only twice out of my whole time smoking though. Ps I have smoked probably around 1 or 1 1/2 year

migraines and THC

I am aware that there has been some interest in using marijuana to self-medicate migraines. This is irritating me quite a bit, because I am trying to find information about migraines caused by using marijuana.

On several occasions, under high dosages (once after ingesting a huge dose orally, several other times after smoking a great deal), I have experienced a most uncomfortable pain in my head, which feels kind of like having a knife twisted in my brain. When it has happened after smoking the drug, it has generally lasted a few minutes. When I ingested it orally (1.0-1.5g), the onset of this mysterious pain induced a full-blown bad trip, which lasted for several hours.

First of all, I have never, to my knowledge, experienced a migraine before while sober. For those of you who have, does this sound like a migraine to you?

Second, have any of you experienced such pains as those that I have experienced while high? What's the deal?

Some background information: I do not smoke very often (roughly once every two weeks to two months), and I do not smoke recreationally; rather, I smoke with the express intention of using my time productively, either to explore the intoxication's effects on the mind, or to deliberately induce a state of mind conducive to speculative philosophy. For this reason, I usually seek a medium-high dosage. I probably don't smoke often enough to develop a noticeable tolerance.

Ok, I've been a migraine sufferer for over a decade. I get them for 3 days continuously at least once/week...unless I take medication. I now take a triptan. What you described with the knife -- yes, that's a migraine. It's excruciating pain with nausea...makes you question the presence of a higher-being ...all that stuff. It's pretty simple really -- weed is just like alcohol or anything else -- you can have too much, of course. I've had my share of both over the years. First off, know your tolerances -- with weed it's probably a lot less than alcohol. When you DO have too much, you are depriving your brain of oxygen and that causes the migraine. This article explains how when ingesting THC your blood flow to the brain increases, but simultaneously your brain's ability to accept the oxygen being brought to your brain tissue by your blood is hindered: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6975-marijuana-makes-blood-rush-to-the-head/ You aren't going to die and you aren't going crazy, I promise. But yes, you aren't doing your body or your brain any favors by ingesting too much. I've definitely been there a few times. Not to say that you can't use this stuff recreationally, just be aware of dosages and your reactions. Just be smart about it...you'll have fun and won't suffer.

When you get a standard migraine (off of THC) -- as explained by my neurologist -- your brain stem is over-simulated by something (a trigger: alcohol, heat, stress, sleep deprivation...some people have tension migraines, food-triggered migraines, hormone-induced migraines or other random things...it's different for everyone). When your brain stem is over-stimulated it sends a huge surge of energy/blood flow into your brain causing all of your blood vessels in your head to dilate (i.e. get bigger in diameter). All of these blood vessels are rubbing up against every possible brain nerve, brain tissue, etc. and you can FEEL IT ALL. It makes you nauseated, in intense pain and many people senses are heightened from the nerve stimulation (for example: I can smell everything when in a migraine state). Here's an article with more information: http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/headache/migraine1.htm

The common element here between THC-induced migraines and regular migraines -- a surge of blood flow to the brain, the friction against the brain tissue (causing pain, nausea). The lack of oxygen caused by the higher quantity of THC is probably the trigger.

Lastly, you may not need this unless they become frequent -- but there are two ways to "cure" migraine: triptans and anti-inflammatories. I know, medical terms. Hear me out though - this could be a life-saver. For years I took anti-inflammatories -- you know, ibuprofen, Excedrin, even a little weed might dull the pain. I was even prescribed hydrocodone and percocet for my pain. The problem is with all of these when it comes to migraines -- they might take down the inflammation in your brain tissue...but they don't reduce the size of your blood vessels (the initial problem). That's why migraine sufferers need a triptan (Imotrex, Sumitriptan, Zomitriptan, etc.). These actually REDUCE the diameter of your blood vessels and eliminate your migraine -- sometimes in as little as 20 minutes. Sure, take some ibuprofen with it to reduce the inflammation; but even with percocet I would pass out for 6 hours "unconsciously pain-free" and then wake up when the drug wore off back where I started. And know that the triptans are different for everyone - find the right one for you. Imotrex (the migraine "go-to") was like a sugar pill for me. It took me about 7 years to find the right one. There are also preventatives -- I've tried anti-depressants, anti-seizures meds, beta-blockers, even experimental clinical trial drugs (Neudexta worked as a preventative for me -- not FDA approved for migraine yet though).

If these DO become frequent, seek medical attention. They may not want to send you to a neurologist b/c you don't get "aura"...it's a weird sensation before the onset of a migraine. I don't get them, but it's typically changes in vision, ringing in your ears, dizziness, being sensitive to light, etc. You'll know if you're getting it. My friend gets them and they nearly make her drive off the road. Anyhow, PLEASE emphasize that you still need to see a neurologist or take something beyond over-the-counter meds if they are disrupting your life. Neurologists are the brain experts. There are also many general practitioners that know a lot about migraine -- but I have immediate luck with a neurologist. They'll do a CT scan (to make sure there aren't any tumors) and they'll find the right medication. I was doing AmeriCorps at the time (i.e. gov't insurance so the appt was only $5 and my meds were free...!) -- just one way to pay for the darn appt. Though now I'd pay any price to have the solution. While migraines won't kill you immediately, they are serious. Too many of them can lead to stroke and as we now, stroke can lead to death. The more you have, apparently the more you'll get. Be aggressive with them...don't wait 7 years like I did to see someone serious about it. Doc's will play conservative and give you ibuprofen for as long as they can -- it's just their protocol. Be your own advocate. They affect 28 million Americans and apparently another 14 million are undiagnosed.

Good luck, know that you aren't alone! There's help out there...take care of that noggin :)