• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Methamphetamine and blood clots?

Specified

Ex-Bluelighter
Hello,

If ive haD blood clots in the past is it safe to use methamphetamine?

That sucks donkey nuts. So I can't take meth anymore if I want to be on the safe side? FUCK!

What about Ketamine and Fentanyl?

The good news is that ketamine does not cause thrombosis in:

Rabbits

Or People (at least not DVT, I don’t know about other forms clotting)

But, some very basic research says that ketamine inhibits platelet aggregation which is one of the very early necessary stages of thrombosis.

As for Fentanyl, I don’t know anything at all about opiates.

Ok thanks for the info. Could I get a list of what drugs I can take when I've had blood clots in the past ?

In a major peer-reviewed meta-review of legal and illegal drugs links to blood clotting (thrombosis) the only drug found to have a significant risk (besides cocaine and it’s well-known cardio-vascular effects) was MARIJUANA. The review states that:

“Several cases of acute coronary syndromes have been reported.104108 The patients affected are usually young and male. Thrombus formation in coronary arteries has been demonstrated on magnetic resonance imaging or at autopsy. Therefore, there is no doubt about the existence of a link between cannabis use and coronary occlusions. Arteritis and occasional ischemic stroke have been also reported.109 Venous thrombosis, on the contrary, seems exceptional.110 The causative mechanisms are still ill-defined. Platelet activation, endothelial damage, and increased oxygen demand due to tachycardia are probably involved, since venous thromboses are rare and no clotting change has ever been demonstrated. Coronary steal or coronaries no flow has also been proposed. Because of the huge economic interest, the toxicity of cannabis has been often minimized. The recent liberalization of the drug in some states of the United States with consequent taxations in order to improve the financial condition of these states is in line with the media underestimation of the problem.

The number of case reports is so large that every caring physician should include, in taking the history of the patient, information on cannabis use or abuse.

It is interesting to note that the only other illicit drug associated with arterial thrombotic events is cocaine and derivatives. No significant rate of MI has been associated with opiates.”

Reference: Girolami, A. et al. (2017) ‘Drug-Induced Thrombophilic or Prothrombotic States: An Underestimated Clinical Problem That Involves Both Legal and Illegal Compounds’, Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, pp. 775–785. doi: 10.1177/1076029616652724.

In a major peer-reviewed meta-review of legal and illegal drugs links to blood clotting (thrombosis) the only drug found to have a significant risk (besides cocaine and it’s well-known cardio-vascular effects) was MARIJUANA. The review states that:

“Several cases of acute coronary syndromes have been reported.104108 The patients affected are usually young and male. Thrombus formation in coronary arteries has been demonstrated on magnetic resonance imaging or at autopsy. Therefore, there is no doubt about the existence of a link between cannabis use and coronary occlusions. Arteritis and occasional ischemic stroke have been also reported.109 Venous thrombosis, on the contrary, seems exceptional.110 The causative mechanisms are still ill-defined. Platelet activation, endothelial damage, and increased oxygen demand due to tachycardia are probably involved, since venous thromboses are rare and no clotting change has ever been demonstrated. Coronary steal or coronaries no flow has also been proposed. Because of the huge economic interest, the toxicity of cannabis has been often minimized. The recent liberalization of the drug in some states of the United States with consequent taxations in order to improve the financial condition of these states is in line with the media underestimation of the problem.

The number of case reports is so large that every caring physician should include, in taking the history of the patient, information on cannabis use or abuse.

It is interesting to note that the only other illicit drug associated with arterial thrombotic events is cocaine and derivatives. No significant rate of MI has been associated with opiates.”

Reference: Girolami, A. et al. (2017) ‘Drug-Induced Thrombophilic or Prothrombotic States: An Underestimated Clinical Problem That Involves Both Legal and Illegal Compounds’, Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, pp. 775–785. doi: 10.1177/1076029616652724.
I’m so impressed with your answers to Specie!

So I can touch any drug besides Marijuana, Cocaine and meth. What about other stimulants like research chemicals?

Where did you find that link?

So I can touch any drug besides Marijuana, Cocaine and meth. What about other stimulants like research chemicals?

Where did you find that link?
I’m not making any comment on drugs you CAN take safely because there are too many unknowns. I’m only advising which ones you probably SHOULD NOT based on the information provided.

Most of this information i find via searching pubmed and other full text medical databases I can access via my university. You should be able to find a lot of it by searching Google Scholar but you will often only get abstracts and not the full article there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stimulants + blood thinners does the opposite you'll just be at risk of bleeding internally. You could try and get your haemoglobin tested but that's a pretty unreliable way of judging future risk of clots. Is bleeding or clots really worth stimulants and possible psychosis?

Hello,

If ive haD blood clots in the past is it safe to use methamphetamine?
It's never "safe" to use Methamphetamine. You're always taking a risk with it. Even if you have zero clotting right now, the narrowing of the arteries could quite easily create a new one if there's too much plaque build up somewhere in an artery.

You can combat artery narrowing with Magnesium, although I doubt it would do much to keep the arteries open when stacked up against the potency of Methamphetamine.

It's never "safe" to use Methamphetamine. You're always taking a risk with it. Even if you have zero clotting right now, the narrowing of the arteries could quite easily create a new one if there's too much plaque build up somewhere in an artery.

You can combat artery narrowing with Magnesium, although I doubt it would do much to keep the arteries open when stacked up against the potency of Methamphetamine.
Thanks for the info! I'll steer clear from meth and any stimulants.

It's never "safe" to use Methamphetamine. You're always taking a risk with it.
That's not true.
And I'd argue the activities and situations most people find themselves in during a binge are more dangerous than the substance itself, not unlike LSD or PCP.
However if you're really prone to blood clotting, thats different.
Hard stimulants (hard anything really) wouldn't be the wisest choice.