• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Methamphetamine Addiction.

I agree with you student, and that is one thing I'm definately not is a hypocrite.

We've all done drugs before and I still do drugs on the rare occasion so I'm not gonna go off and tell her not to take drugs.

If it were possible to keep meth to a 'once every so often' sort of thing then that would be fine, but unfortunately for the type of drug it is I don't think that's possible (correct me if I'm wrong).

Her mum doesn't give a shit what she does and her brother and his mates encourage it, what sort of hope does that give someone like her?

^There is only so much you can do afterall. Some people don't want to be help, and know far better than their experienced peers.

Just let them do as they decide, sit back - enjoy life - and say "i told ya so" at the end of the day.

Intervention seldom works in 98% of cases.

heya theysayrollingsfun,

from the brief amount of info in the story you outlined in the first post i would say that you are right to be concerned about your friends overall situation and not just the substance use. While meth can cause a dependance physically the mental issues that go along with it are worse than the physioclogical affect of continued use.

i would be worried for you friend for a few reasons: they have dropped out of school early- this usually indicates some troubles in the background of their life which it would be good to get them some support around from say a good youthworker or such. Part of the cravings may well be due to this overall sense of hopelessness/dissatisfaction with life in general and just making it go away for a while- i know when i was that age that is how i felt at times.

major life changes + drugs as coping mechanism are usually not a good match together if continued for a period of time. when we learn and experience life we learn to develop our own coping and resilience through experience. In some ways drugs as a coping mechanism does stop skills developing as fully as they would have should the drug not be involved.

on top of these major changes in her life it sounds as though she is isolating away from her main support networks; friends, family, school, social groups. i know that when people feel desperate and unsuppported it is not a good combination at all - even worse when your young and going through puberty.

My suggestion to you would be to support your friend as a friend, and friends also remind us that things change in life. Where we are at now is not where we may be in a day/month/ year
My resonse as a human services worker would be to make sure that they see someone about all the changes going on for them at the moment- youth worker/school counsellor/ social worker.

good luck to you and your friend :)

If it were possible to keep meth to a 'once every so often' sort of thing then that would be fine, but unfortunately for the type of drug it is I don't think that's possible (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've used meth every now and then without making it a habit, but then again I struggle with a much weaker drug addiction. :\

Just reading your first post reminds me of SO many of my brothers friends that it ain't funny you know. They try something, they think it's fucking amazing, they want to keep doing it until they over do it, then they learn the hard way about the consequences of overdoing something but they still keep making the same mistakes. Hell, I keep making the same mistakes. I think that she is at the age where she is experimenting with things, her eyes are opening up to things, and she is liking it and unfortunately getting into what sounds like a bad situation - dropping out of school, hanging out with people who will not care if she gets addicted like them, etc...

If you're still a good friend then I think it would be an idea to have a good talk with her sometime about it, when you are both sober and have the time... and like you said, definitely make sure you don't come off as a hypocrite, maybe tell her your experiences and why that makes you want to look out for her and make sure she doesn't go down the wrong path.

Good luck brother, I hope you can get through to her. :)

Thanks madmick & mr blonde, it feels good to get such helpful answers from people that have been in the same situation. I also work in the community services field so lack of rescources isn't really an issue. :)

I have been holding back a little bit of information because I didn't feel it was necessary to disclose at the time, recapping the whole situation though, I think it may play some role. I swear I'm not leaving anything out now, well as far as I know. :\

About 4-5 months ago she told me that her underwear had been going missing, anyway, cut a long story short, she ended up finding several pairs of her underwear in her older brothers drawer and in his pillow case. (I know, wtf!) She was too scared to say anything to her brother (who's about 23-24 btw) so she told her mum that he was doing it but she refused to do anything about it and so she then left home for about a month.

She's now back at home, but do you think that could have anything to do with her usage? As far as I'm aware, stealing your sisters undies isn't illegal, however I do think it would be quite an unsettling feeling knowing your own brother was doing such a thing.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all for your replies, I really do appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
^^^^ fucken hell, doesn't sound like a very healthy household to live in if the mother won't even confront her son for being a dirty, perverted creep 8o :( 8o

honestly a person's "reasons" for doing drugs are never clean-cut. you are never going to know the ins & outs of the situation, regardless of how much time you spend wracking your brains to find "answers".

the only thing you can do is continue to be her friend & assist her at times where you think she may be doing herself harm, and find ways (as only a friend can) to attempt to minimise that.

That situation is quite disturbing, especially if your parents won't even help you! I believe yes that could obviously have contributed to her wanting to use / general bad situation. But as others have said it's hard to know a persons real reason for using/behaving whatever way :(

Lets say i had some family problems.. which i don't cause i got the fuck outta there a few years back! :-D

But lets say i did... And i caught my bro sniffing my underwear. That night my friend offers me a drug i had never had (meth). This drug makes me forget the pain of seeing my brother riffle through my underwear draw and select the freshest pair he can find, sniff... then retreat to his room.

I am in love with this drug from then on, as i know that my parents wont make my brother stop sniffing. Therefore the only option becomes the drug.

I dunno.. it makes sense that trauma = drug use / abuse

any takers?

I don't know if he was sniffing it as such, but he was definately stealing it.

& tripppAR, that does actually make perfect sense. Like a way for her to escape reality for a few days. Not that I would know if meth is capable of this as I haven't tried it, but I guess it makes sense.

I have been holding back a little bit of information because I didn't feel it was necessary to disclose at the time, recapping the whole situation though, I think it may play some role. I swear I'm not leaving anything out now, well as far as I know. :\

About 4-5 months ago she told me that her underwear had been going missing, anyway, cut a long story short, she ended up finding several pairs of her underwear in her older brothers drawer and in his pillow case. (I know, wtf!) She was too scared to say anything to her brother (who's about 23-24 btw) so she told her mum that he was doing it but she refused to do anything about it and so she then left home for about a month.

She's now back at home, but do you think that could have anything to do with her usage? As far as I'm aware, stealing your sisters undies isn't illegal, however I do think it would be quite an unsettling feeling knowing your own brother was doing such a thing.
:)

now theres a few things in this post that concern me in addition to the original one, i have met a few people who have gone through sexual assualt who have ome out to the family and not been believed at all and so the assult continued. Im not suggesting that this is the case here but the premise of the family usually being a place of safety for most people is not working here.

on top of that you have a young male (brother) acting sexually inappropriate with his sisters underwear. not only just that but To quote you " hell, she's not even 18 yet, and has so much potential to do good with her life rather than become addicted to meth. ... (her older brother and his mates are the ones who got her into it the first place and I highly doubt her mum would care if she found out anyway)."

SO she is minor who is being fed drugs by older sexually inappropriate males + is disempowered by the family not believing or even caring about her. If i heard this in a counselling session i would feel that it was my ethical duty to call the police and let her know that i am doing it. Also depending on your role/profession in community service organisations you might be a mandated reporter of child abuse and neglect.

even though she is over the age of 16 you are still mandated to call the local child protection services. I would call them anyway anonomusly and talk about what you have mentioned here. Based on that information i am pretty sure that they would actually action the report as an emergency action.

just reading this thread in those two posted gives me cause for great alarm.

doing something about this yourself is not possible, this is a complex situation which takes tact and resources to support a person in this predicament. I strongly suggest what i told you above do anon call to your state child protection service and ask them what they think.

The numbers are listed below

Australian Capital Territory

Office for Children, Youth and Family Support
Ph: 133 427
http://www.dhcs.act.gov.au/ocyfs/

The Office for Children, Youth and Family Support works in partnership with the community to provide care and protection services to children and young people, and family and community support to meet the needs of the people of Canberra. In addition, the Office is responsible for youth justice services and the monitoring and licensing of children's services.

The Office for Children, Youth and Family Support contracts a range of services from the non-government sector to meet the needs of young people. These services include

* Youth Centres
* Youth Support Services
* Youth development programs and
* Youth Plan and Sector development

Care and Protection services is responsible for facilitating coordination across government for the care and protection of children and young people. Care and Protection services include three Regional Offices and an After Hours service, who provide a continuum of service delivery to children and young people considered 'at risk' of serious harm.

If you are concerned about a child, refer to Keeping Children and Young People Safe (PDF 697 KB)
New South Wales

Department of Community Services
DoCS Central Office
Locked Bag 28,
Ashfield NSW 1800
Ph: (02) 9716 2222
Fax: (02) 9798 5486
DX21212 Ashfield
http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/

The Department of Community Services works to protect children from abuse and neglect. The Department views the protection and welfare of children as one of their most important tasks.

Many cases of suspected neglect and abuse against children are reported to the Department every year. It is their job to investigate these reports and, if needed, work with families to ensure children are protected. They work with families and try to find solutions to problems by talking directly to parents and children. Sometimes brothers and sisters, grandparents or other family members of a child are involved.

To report instances of child abuse

* The Office of Children, Families and Parenting: 132 111 (24 hours)

The Crimes Amendment (Child Protection - Physical Mistreatment) Act 2001 comes into effect on 5 December 2002. The amendment sets limits on the force used by parents to physically punish their children and clarifies the legal defence of 'lawful correction'. It aims to reduce the harm caused to children through excessive physical punishment. Under the amendment, it will be considered unreasonable to:

* Use force on a child above the shoulders
* Use force that causes harm that lasts for more than a short time below the shoulders.

Community education activities under the title 'Remember - there's a limit' have been organised to inform parents, carers and workers about the amendment.

* A poster to alert parents to the new law;
* A brochure to explain the law to parents and direct them to sources on child rearing that will be available in 10 versions: English, a version for Pacific Islander people, a version for Indigenous people, Arabic, Turkish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, Croatian and Serbian.

More information can be found on the NSW Parenting Centre's web site at http://www.parenting.nsw.gov.au/limits/.
Northern Territory

Department of Health and Families
PO Box 40596
Casuarina NT 0811

More information on child protection services is available at http://www.health.nt.gov.au/Children_Youth_and_Families/Child_Protection/index.aspx

To report instances of child abuse (24 hours): 1800 700 250
Queensland

Department of Communities
Department of Child Safety
PO Box 806
Brisbane QLD 4002 or
CDE M4
Ph: (07) 3224 8045
Freecall: 1800 811 810
Fax: (07) 3224 3570
Email: [email protected]
http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/

To report instances of child abuse:
Business hours: 1800 811 810
After hours: 1800 177 135

The Department provides services to children and families where child abuse or neglect has been alleged or identified. Allegations of child abuse and neglect are investigated and responded to with advice, information and assistance provided to families and community members. Emphasis is placed on maintaining children with their families and by educating and supporting parents to care for their children.

The Child Protection Act 1999 provides for the protection of children. The Act responds to the increased community expectation: that children must be protected from abuse and neglect; that children who are removed from home receive safe alternative care; and that children who suffer abuse and neglect receive quality services which promote their emotional, physical, social and educational development.

Information about the Act is available at: http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/legislation/child-protection/child-protection-act-1999.html
South Australia

Families SA
Department for Families & Communities
GPO Box 292
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: (08) 8226 8800
Fax: (08) 8413 9003
http://www.familiesandcommunities.sa.gov.au/

* 24 hours: 131 478

Children, Youth and Family Services provides support and assistance to the community, especially those experiencing disadvantage or who are in need of care and protection. Services assist young people who offend or are at risk of harm and families and children at risk.

Legislation covering child protection issues include:

* Family and Community Services Act 1972
* Children's Protection Act 1993
* Young Offenders Act 1993
* Adoption Act 1988

Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
South Australian Division of Mental Health
Suite 5, Ground Floor, Elizabeth House
Elizabeth City Centre
Adelaide SA 5112
Ph: (08) 8252 0133
Fax: (08) 8287 0308
http://www.wch.sa.gov.au

The Tier 3 Diversionary Program is a new initiative by the Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service - Northern Metropolitan Region. The program runs in partnership with the Department of Family & Youth Services and seeks to address the needs of children and families who have been notified to the department but where there are no confirmed issues of abuse, although a high degree of need within the family. Essentially the program seeks to prevent the potential for abuse or neglect occurring within these families through the provision of practical assistance and therapeutic input.

Department of Education, Training and Employment
http://www.dete.sa.gov.au/decs_home.asp

Information is included on DETE child protection policy, mandatory notification, Child Protection Act and links to other sites.
Tasmania

Department of Health and Human Services
Child Protection
http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/health__..._and_families/related_topics/child_protection

The Department of Health and Human Services brings together a wide range of services for the people of Tasmania - offering a range of support services, including child protection.

Commissioner for Children
1st Floor, Stone Building
ABC Centre, 1 Brooker Avenue
Hobart TAS 7000
Ph: (03) 6233 4520
Fax: (03) 6233 4515
http://www.childcomm.tas.gov.au/

The website of the Commissioner for Children is part of the Department of Health and Human Services.

* Child and Family Services: 1800 001 219 (24 hours)

Victoria

Department of Human Services
Children, Youth and Families
Child Protection and Family Services

Child Protection Crisis Service: 131 278 (24 hours)

Child Safety Commissioner
The Office of the Child Safety Commissioner is an organisation that makes children a priority. The Commissioner provides advice to both the Minister for Community Services and the Minister for Children on issues impacting on the lives of children, in particular vulnerable children. This is achieved through listening to children, advocating on their behalf, being impartial, leading on child-safe practices, acting with integrity, and being held accountable.
Western Australia

Department for Child Protection
Central Office
PO Box 6334
East Perth WA 6892
Ph: (08) 9222 2555
TTY: (08) 9325 1232
Fax: (08) 9222 2776
http://www.community.wa.gov.au/DCP/

* Departmental Head Office: (08) 9222 2555
* 1800 199 008
* After hours: (08) 9223 1111

The Department's major focus is on meeting the needs of vulnerable children and families. It is responsible for protection and caring for children and of supporting people at risk of crisis.

Staff trained in child protection investigate reports and allegations of child maltreatment. These may include physical, sexual and emotional maltreatment as well as neglect. Follow up services depend on the nature and seriousness of maltreatment and the needs of the child and family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Counselling and/or a job will be very helpful for your friend.

Just make sure she is using contraception as well, as the last thing she needs is to be pregnant.

Other than that, you can suggest she sees a doctor if she is feeling depressed/anxious. There are much better things out there to treat these disorders than amphetamines.

Welcome back Madmick, as informative as always ;)

Her brother stealing underwear is mega werid.
I don't know how the mother would deal with it, hearing such a thing. My guess would be she would want to dismiss it and not think about it.

And I can completely understand why she wouldn't want to confront her brother about it, because I can hardly imagine a more akward conversation you could have with a sibling. But rather then coming out and saying to him "you stole my underwear, i know you did rarr rarr rarr etc." She could just say something like "I've lost some of my clothes lately it's really odd, you haven't seen them around have you?" My guess is, he would not confess to this but with anyluck, it would shake him enough to stop doing it.

Also, I completely agree with TripppAR "it makes sense that trauma = drug use / abuse"
But this being the case, that I would encourage more that she doesn't do it again sooner. Because this means more then any minimal physical addiction of wanting meth will be heavily over shadowed by her psycholgical wish to escape reality.

Also I don't know if she has a lock with a key to her room, but I had a friend who has a troubled childhood, and him getting one has definately made him happier. She can be sure her shit won't be touched, and also give her the privacy she deserves at 16.

Just my thoughts, good luck bro.

Just make sure she is using contraception as well, as the last thing she needs is to be pregnant.

And you would never fucking guess, I just found out she is pregnant 2 days ago, but on the plus side, it's not too late for her to get an abortion if she chooses too. Either way, that's even more reason for her to stop using.

Just as I thought things couldn't get much worse for her. :!

I spoke to a counsellor yesterday and asked what they would suggest, and she basically just said the same thing as you guys; to stay friends with her and get her an appointment at the local gp, then she can get a referral and go from there I guess.

Oh and mick, when I was talking to the counsellor she said that child protection won't have anything to do with the situation when she turns 18. She's about 2 weeks from turning 18 so by the time cp actually saw her and did the paperwork she would already be 18. What a crock of shit. :\

she still needs an advocate, in her family system she is very disempowered. I know that canberra has a child and young persons act which means that those services can help till the age of 25yrs.

Also even if Child protection dont get involved like they would a 15yr old they still should have some resources to connect her to. I would suggest you get her to go to her school counsellor even though she has left that school or a youth social Worker.

That's fucked up.

The poor girl.

I guess shit homelife in adolescence produces 2 kinds of kids: hardcore rebels, and hardcore nerds. I was the latter until I turned 21, but I can't even begin to imagine dealing with that level of heavy shit at such a young age.... :(
drugs are the last thing she needs..... I really hope she is somehow able to get some help :\

^Hmm yeah... Well i was a very rebelious teen and a geek at the same time. Bloody strange paradox. Us geeky dudes seem to still have social skills and the ability to deal with people, are generally a little more open minded (even if we appear closed to a great many ideas), and are able to bridge that barrier between our big buff counter-parts and the skrawny shit-cunt nerds.

Anyway back to the issue at hand,

This girl is now pregnant - sexually abused (in one form or another) and probably drug dependant by the sounds of things.

One of two things is likely to happen here - given her age, and her desire to be grown up, and out of the situation she's in, I think it likely she'll want to keep the kid. Girls with issues often see pregnancy or marriage as a quick fix to change their lives, without thinking through the consequence (believe me I know, i've had several girls go through abortions and have one 2yo son, the mother was a nutjob, suffice to say - she isn't legally allowed to care for him like I am).

All of this is fucking sad. Duty of care would mandate most counsellors to contact police or protective services given that she is a minor. Self harm could be a possible outcome of this too. I'd say it's high past time for her to be linked in with some mental health services and workers - and see a counsellor about being pregnant, and what to do about it - someone with the skill and tact to change her mind about things.

theysayrollingsfun: I urge you mate, to do anything in your power - except tell her what to do. Given the state she's in, her attitude towards life, and most likely towards anyone trying to be a parental figure, would be to tell you to fuck off and stay out of her 'adult' business. Young girls are a time bomb - so excercize caution in this area.

As mick said, call up your state child protective service annonymously and seek help, advice or direct contact based assistance. Do Not tell the girl what you've done, initial contact from these services is a bit scary for anyone.

Ur concern is very justified , meth is very much a try it once , then bang ur a full time addict , and there's not much u can say or do because it's a drug where u can Only quit for urself which doesnt happen for many people for a very long time . I'm still struggling to quit and I've moved states , it makes me sometimes want to move back to get some and go back to living that shit lifestyle .