Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Methamphetamine Addiction.

theysayrollingsfun

Bluelighter
Hey guys, this isn't related specifically to Australia so mods, if you think it should be moved feel free.

I'm just going to start right from the start.

I have a friend that I've known for almost 3 years now. At the peak of our friendship we were like really close siblings; we'd tell eachother everything talk about everything, do everything together etc.

Lately (from about the end of last year) our friendship has sort of died off, we're still good friends, but nothing like we used to be.

Anyway, tonight I went to a party and I unexpectedly saw her there. I sat down and started talking to her, she then started telling me how she quit school last week (halfway through year 12 :\) and then continued to tell me how she tried meth a week or 2 ago and she's been craving it ever since.

This to me was probably one of the saddest things I've heard in a while, & not the kind of sad that you can just forget about but the kind of sad that sinks really, really deep. :(

I know it's her life and she has to fight her own battles, I just feel she's too young to be dabbling with that shit, hell, she's not even 18 yet, and has so much potential to do good with her life rather than become addicted to meth.

I really just feel like her life could slip out of control so easily, especially with the kind of family she has (her older brother and his mates are the ones who got her into it the first place and I highly doubt her mum would care if she found out anyway).

Am I worrying too much or is my worrying justified? Any advice on what I could do/say, if anything? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
No can help compadre.... sorry :(

I never knew of it til I was 21 & I've never tried to pull someone out of their headstrong addictions...well, not successfully anyway! I'm not sure what the correlation of her leaving school & trying ice is, but it must have something to do with the crowd she's fallen into. Unfortunately there aint much you can say to turn her mind around, all you can do is keep watch and try to be the best friend you can.

I was doing meth weekly from 15-20... And whilst i admit, it was probably a lot more worth while back then - the drug sucks. Some people never get over it though -and personally, life without drugs is much more rewarding.

Although i'll add this. She's used meth only once right? The gear in aus right now is pretty cruddy, a few times and the dopamine rush will probably subside to tolerance and blowing all that money will seem pointless (as a 17yo i highly doubt she has over a grand a week to spend on ice) so only the sub-par crap will be purchased.

I guess yeah, let her fight her own battles. It's not your concern. Sure you were good friends once - it was only 3 years... when you've known someone for 10, and never fallen out with em, you learn what a real friendship is about. Those who distance after a few, where only ever there to make them feel better about themselves, got their self-gratification and left.

First off, yes, you should worry for her. I decided to try meth (crystal, the pure stuff), with my girlfriend of 2 yrs at the time. Being that I was only accustomed to using coke, I split the 1/4 gram into two large lines and we split them. Five or ten minutes later I recall as the euphoria was beginning to kick in, I said to my girl, "This stuff is TOO good. This just may be the end of us."

Long story short..., and nearly five sleepless years later, I finally managed to kick the habit. The actual buzz is fantastic, very euphoric. The lifestyle that follows is one of selfishness, depression, fiending and one big-ass downward spiral. This was the most addictive substance I have ever used, and I have tried nearly all of them, barring some of the new RC's. I wouldn't go back to that period in my life if you payed me. In the beginning it seems like so much fun, and is maybe a weekend thing. Then the weekend turns into Monday. Then you score another bag. Plink it on the table, cellophane, lighter, crush it up. Grab the blade if you wish, and play around with it for awhile, it keeps on crushing forever. Now Monday turns into Wednesday, and youre looking for another bag. And so on, and so forth.

My girlfriend and I slept an average of 4 or 5 days a month for something close to five years. Much of the beginning was a blast. Later, it was a depressing, selfish habit that drove us apart. I highly recommend to talk with your friend and advise her against using it. But hey, that is just my experience. I also have a fairly addictive personality, so maybe I am biased.

^dude, theres a few factors you're missing.

Availability in Australia (seeing as you're from the USA) Price in Australia (i see those factors as vital to this thread.. not that i want the discussion to head that way mods). Meth just isn't as large scale here as it is over there, only your most seasoned addicts (and honestly i can't say i can see many people heading that way in the coming decade) are willing to fork out the 4 figures to get a gram of crystal... And even then... it is far less pure than what you would be used to.

matter of fact: I've never once seen Crystal being crushed and snorted here, for more than a party trick. It's always used IV or smoked.

So yeah there are those factors to consider. Your average teenager here in aus couldn't afford such a habit and be left with few options if that is the path they wanted to walk. Prostitution or Dealing to support the habit.

^dude, theres a few factors you're missing.

Availability in Australia (seeing as you're from the USA) Price in Australia (i see those factors as vital to this thread.. not that i want the discussion to head that way mods). Meth just isn't as large scale here as it is over there, only your most seasoned addicts (and honestly i can't say i can see many people heading that way in the coming decade) are willing to fork out the 4 figures to get a gram of crystal... And even then... it is far less pure than what you would be used to.

matter of fact: I've never once seen Crystal being crushed and snorted here, for more than a party trick. It's always used IV or smoked.

So yeah there are those factors to consider. Your average teenager here in aus couldn't afford such a habit and be left with few options if that is the path they wanted to walk. Prostitution or Dealing to support the habit.

Well said thats what i was about to say. Id be more worried about ur friend committing crimes or prostitution to spend that 4 figure amount on a gram of shards. Im starting to hate speed to much, u get over it one day its so over rated. The way it makes u feel the next day, no thank you.

Id be more worried about ur friend committing crimes or prostitution to spend that 4 figure amount on a gram of shards.

That's exactly what ran through my head as well. :\

@ mribis, you're very right about the cost of meth, but unfortunately for as long as she's working close to full time hours I'm worried she'll blow most of her pay on gear. *touch wood she doesn't though*

I do know what that sort of friendship feels like. My best mate & I have been friends for over 13 years & what A (I'll call her A from now on to avoid confusion) and I had at the peak of our friendship felt comparable to what my best mate and I have all the time.

It's just so hard to sit back and watch a friend go through the pain of wanting a drug that bad. Something I've never had to witness before which is why I'm reacting the way I am, I guess. My mates and I have never really gone through addiction (thankgod!).

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Well just so you know her "addiction" is psychological, especially if she has only had it once. Meth addiction is not considered to be a physical addiction, in that your body does not "need" it to function. Compare this to heroin or alcohol or benzos, where your body can physically shut down if it does not get its fix of the drug.

The best thing i could suggest to help your friend at this stage is for you to provide distractions, get her involved in exciting activities, dont let her sit round the house alone on a saturday, take her out and do something fun. Boredom is one of the biggest reasons for drug use in my social circle...sitting on the couch doing stuff all is always more fun when your fucked up.

Well just so you know her "addiction" is psychological, especially if she has only had it once. Meth addiction is not considered to be a physical addiction, in that your body does not "need" it to function. Compare this to heroin or alcohol or benzos, where your body can physically shut down if it does not get its fix of the drug.

The best thing i could suggest to help your friend at this stage is for you to provide distractions, get her involved in exciting activities, dont let her sit round the house alone on a saturday, take her out and do something fun. Boredom is one of the biggest reasons for drug use in my social circle...sitting on the couch doing stuff all is always more fun when your fucked up.

This sort of discussion has come up a few times on blue light.
More often with discussion of people being addicted to weed. With people like me and MrIbis who know it's not a physical addiction, but the addiction is so powerful it is very much more the psychological.

When someone is addicted to something, the psychological side gives you physical symptoms of withdrawel, people genunely feel they need to do something. MrIbis's mothers weed addiction is not too differenty from my Mothers gambling addiction. Whislt both are psychological, the damage done isn't different. Whilst I don't disagree with you saying she should find other things to do, I whole heartadly believe professional help is the only key.

Checkout some of the links in the 2010 harm reduction thread
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=496359

There is some very relelvant things in their, I tried to get one of my friends to quit her meth addiction. Her stability got so bad she couldn't even hold down her stipping career.

I would keep ranting, but its saturady night and my lift is here. <3

Stay safe.

Actually, I do agree with you on the physiological symptoms associated with supposed "psychological" addictions. Anybody who has used stimulants consistently over a period of time knows that there are physical withdrawal symptoms...anhedonia from downregulation of dopamine, lack of spatial co-ordination, CONSTIPATION. I know there is a very real physical element when "detoxing" off meth. But a so called "professional" will tell you otherwise.

In this case..since the girl has only used once, i cant see how it would be a physical thing, i cant see how any of the physical triggers for use could be present, downregulation of dopamine, the shut down of your body's natural "waste elimination" functions etc etc all occur only with consistent use..its not really a case of one hit and you're hooked.

Of course i dont mean to understate the value of GOOD professional help..trouble is that it is difficult to find a GOOD professional, someone who is willing to listen to you and not just shove their own agenda down your throat.

I know she's not addicted, I'm sorry if I made it out to sound like she was.

What I meant to say is I'm worried because it is such a slippery slope, addiction would fit right into her current lifestyle.

I called her best friend yesterday to voice my concerns on the matter and it turns out they haven't spoken for 2-3 weeks which is a longgg time for them considering they've known eachother since birth and spend basically every second together. I guess she isn't taking it so well either :\

I think trying to get her out of the house is a great idea, it's just going to be convincing her that what her new group of tweaker friends are doing isn't the smartest. I just really, really hope she has the sense to pull herself together or she's going to find she loses more than just a few braincells :!

Thanks for all the input & suggestions so far guys!

I didn't mean to sound like she was addicted yet, but as you said it's a slippery slope and my friend I spoke about did exactly that, dropped out of school at year 12, started trying meth, became a stripper and 18months later was a full blown ice addict.

It might be a bit soon to be suggesting professional help, especially as she's only had it once, I imagine she would be insulted at even such an idea. I guess the best thingyou can do is make sure she is more aware of the dangers.

It's a tricky situation because many people are aware of the risks but decide to take them anyway, for the time being I would suggest trying to give her support but still voice your concern. But if it gets worse the try to get her to seek help.

Make sure she knows it's not acceptable to you, but there's nothing you can say that will stop her. I started using it at 16 and nothing could have drawn me away from that lifestyle. Not only is the drug addictive in itself, but that lifestyle can be so appealing at that age, especially before the real life consequences of not having an education, and having an addiction etc become apparent.

It seems to me that there's something deeper going on than just trying meth once - that isn't something that causes someone to drop out of school. Maybe you should focus on trying to figure out what else is going on in her life.

It's possible to have a meth habit at that age too, having an older dealer as a boyfriend always helps ;)

It's possible to have a meth habit at that age too, having an older dealer as a boyfriend always helps ;)

see, now this is where I become envious!!!!

submitting to the whole passive, feminine role (while still obviously benefiting quite substantially) is something I've never been capable of pulling off.

maybe I'm just too proud to rely on some other so-n-so to be able to come through for me at the end of the day.....? drugs wise no less.

if you want something done, you havta do it yourself..... :!
and yes autoerotics fall under this category as well, for anyone wondering

^ wow, you deciphered my whole personality from 20 words :\
Get off your high horse, meth addiction is meth addiction no matter where the substance has come from, and I think passing judgements on me for an offhand comment is nothing less than assumptive. You're not the only girl on here with a meth addiction and a university education, so take yourself down a few pegs :\

lol not at all....

you completely mis-interpreted what I was saying....

as per normal these days in this place. better off just keeping my musings to myself!

seeing as though people are going to take offence, regardless, particularly when I'm not intending to offend them - or, if I were, I'd certainly find better ways to go about it!!! 8( :? :!

give me a break

I don't see how hyroller saying she was envious, was taken as an insult?

Anywho back on topic.
Just whatever you do make sure you don't be one of those friends that take an absolute stand and say she CAN'T do something, Most of bluelighters are here because somewhere along the line we have been told we can't do something, and have very much proven otherwise ;)

my advice to you theysayrollingsfun is to let her know you don't agree with it, but you 100% support her and always have her back. If you guys were as close as you say you were, you need to maintain that. And proving that you will be able to keep a closer eye on her and make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

Why can't we be the generation that doesn't need a crutch! :p

But seriously..

I think she sound spretty week and obviously has some problems deep within. She sounds like she WANTS an addiction..