• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Methadone

I will have been on it for a couple of weeks and at a regular dose but like you say if that dose 1 is doing me good and holding me 2 is a very small dose then why muck about with it, even if I did get a few days of an extra high all i would end up with in the end is a mess to go higher and higher on my regular meth dose just to good me. I’m on this to get me off drugs so why waste it, guess it was just the addict side of me wondering about if I could get an extra buzz , think all us addicts have that side to us

It sounds like some times it is possible to feel smack when on methadone, and sometimes not, and sometimes just a little . . . what may be happening is that what people are describing as the effect of the smack is in fact the bang, the blast of euphoria which is directly the result of mu and delta receptors being rapidly agonised and the transition from baseline to the high -- so starting from non-zero because there is already methadone in the system is going to be not as dramatic.

Buprenorphine is a bit different -- it is a partial mu opioid agonist with very high affinity, so much closer to 100 per cent of the receptors have to be occupied for it to work. It may be very helpful for selected patients but given the diversity of situations and reasons, maybe the first-line Opioid Substitution Therapy protocol should be to give people their Drug of Choice and assess any needle fixation and see if that can be reduced . . .

Last edited:
It's funny neither suboxone at 16mgs or my current 90mg of methadone have ever stopped me feeling other opioids. And I definitely agree with negrogesic in that methadone can be a very nice drug for some people. Even taking my normal maintenance dose that I have taken for years I sometimes get high. And injecting it definitely gives me a nice rush

Giving people what they are using in pharmaceutical grade type, with accepting people for who they are, should always be first response. Then you would get to know people your trying to help and after some while I believe almost everybody would seek help. Not for the substance but for the reason why did a substance take over their life in an unhealthy manner.
Only withouth shaming and making people feel guilty can you actually help somebody. In most cases substance (ab)users were not accepted for who they are and what they do ever in their life. Acceptance, empathy and being there for people, are powerful tools that should be used as "the first line treatment ". But with the whole "war on drugs" narrative it is pretty hard to implement that approach. But that is another story. Nico, you are absolutely rigt with your approach.:)

Anthony - I hope blood levels of methadone are now high enough that you are starting to be less annoyed by cravings. Wish you all the luck! ?:)

Peace,
Soma
This is absolutely true. I desperately hope the world accepts this way of thinking in my lifetime because the reality is that our society's response to drugs is what causes the vast majority of negative behaviours seen as results of the drug itself and it is also what kills addicts. If we did what you suggest in your post I sincerely believe these drugs would become comparatively harmless.

As we know from methadone treatment, a medically supervised, cheap or free opioid addiction is not very harmful at all

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I already posted in this thread, but just like how when you get knocked up, the fun's over. When you start with Methadone, the small shit is not likely to touch you in the way that you're seeking. I've actually a pretty wide experience with Methadone. I've also required surgery while essentially in a MMT program. They cut me to 50mg and was abstinent for 3 days and when I woke up in PACU, nothing they would give me would touch my pain.

I was sent home with 4mg Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) tablets, with the idea in mind that even an oral dose of 4mg Hydromorphone was kind of on the high side for this sort of relatively minor pain. Naturally I injected them all because the devil is a bastard and keeps causing me to make poor choices. Even injecting the Hydromorphone sort-of reduced my pain, but I was far from comfortable and lightyears from euphoria.

Just use this as a case study. Your experience will not necessarily mirror mine. The rule of thumb is that Methadone is a big old Anna Karenina of a bitch. Once you're over 30mg it can be difficult to use Opioids effectively either to get high or to be properly analgized (i made that shit up. patent pending). In theory, and this is what people are told, you can simply receive a dose of Opioid proportionate to your tolerance, but in practice, few docs are willing to actually give anybody that much, for any reason.

Giving people what they are using in pharmaceutical grade type, with accepting people for who they are, should always be first response. Then you would get to know people your trying to help and after some while I believe almost everybody would seek help. Not for the substance but for the reason why did a substance take over their life in an unhealthy manner.
Only withouth shaming and making people feel guilty can you actually help somebody. In most cases substance (ab)users were not accepted for who they are and what they do ever in their life. Acceptance, empathy and being there for people, are powerful tools that should be used as "the first line treatment ". But with the whole "war on drugs" narrative it is pretty hard to implement that approach. But that is another story. Nico, you are absolutely rigt with your approach.:)

Anthony - I hope blood levels of methadone are now high enough that you are starting to be less annoyed by cravings. Wish you all the luck! ?:)

Peace,
Soma
Hey well me being an idiot dabbled a little , I started using DHC on top of methadone most I used was 300 mg and yeah it def did hit me but of course after 8 or 9 days of doing that I’m now feeling it as my 30 mg methadone isn’t really holding me now, my one fault and tbh I’m not sure 30 mg meth was ever going to hold me anyway, been honest with my worker n think my meth is being put up to 40 mg and we will see how that goes , I must admit tho I’m on day three of no DHC at all again and my meth 30 mg script and it feels like it’s starting to hold me better again, is that possible? Will my 9 days of dabbling back on DHC on top of my meth have messed up my tolerance and mean I will def need more methadone ? I’m such an idiot and I’m actually so ashamed in a way, reading back on my earlier messages it’s like a different person , I was intent on trying the DHC on top of the methadone it’s obvious from my messages , what an idiot! I’ve been on nearly 1000 mg of DHC daily for years and for some reason such a small dose of 30 meth was not only helping me and holding me it seemed to actually give me a bit of a high in a way, as crazy as that sounds and what do I do .... go looking for more of a high. Well I am definitely an addict that’s about the most I can say.

Hey well me being an idiot dabbled a little , I started using DHC on top of methadone most I used was 300 mg and yeah it def did hit me but of course after 8 or 9 days of doing that I’m now feeling it as my 30 mg methadone isn’t really holding me now, my one fault and tbh I’m not sure 30 mg meth was ever going to hold me anyway, been honest with my worker n think my meth is being put up to 40 mg and we will see how that goes , I must admit tho I’m on day three of no DHC at all again and my meth 30 mg script and it feels like it’s starting to hold me better again, is that possible? Will my 9 days of dabbling back on DHC on top of my meth have messed up my tolerance and mean I will def need more methadone ? I’m such an idiot and I’m actually so ashamed in a way, reading back on my earlier messages it’s like a different person , I was intent on trying the DHC on top of the methadone it’s obvious from my messages , what an idiot! I’ve been on nearly 1000 mg of DHC daily for years and for some reason such a small dose of 30 meth was not only helping me and holding me it seemed to actually give me a bit of a high in a way, as crazy as that sounds and what do I do .... go looking for more of a high. Well I am definitely an addict that’s about the most I can say.

If you give it time the 30mg will likely hold you just as it did before those 8 days of DHC use.

However, if the methadone is going to be a long term maintenance treatment, higher doses (60mg+) are associated with higher abstinence rates from other opioids (meaning, you'll have both less cravings and less ability to get an effect out of other opioids). If you see the methadone as being a shorter term thing, don't increase the dose if you're able to resist, because getting off of methadone is pretty rough (I was on 380mg a day and am now off of it).

Yes will give it some time and of course that’s the tough part,would rather stay on as small as possible as easier to come off but I think it’s time in my life to look long term so maybe I will have to do the 60 ish n take my time coming off it, I don’t exactly want to or enjoy being on it but I’ve spent 16 years taking the DHC n the crap that goes along wit trying to get it , trying to avoid getting sick etc so I’m willing to look at recovery in the long term. I was told at start that with amount of DHC I was doing 30 mg wouldn’t touch me , but weirdly it did infact it actually gave me a wee high I would say but I still took on top of it like a dafty. Hopefully the 30 will get back to holding me if I give it a bit of time

If you give it time the 30mg will likely hold you just as it did before those 8 days of DHC use.

However, if the methadone is going to be a long term maintenance treatment, higher doses (60mg+) are associated with higher abstinence rates from other opioids (meaning, you'll have both less cravings and less ability to get an effect out of other opioids). If you see the methadone as being a shorter term thing, don't increase the dose if you're able to resist, because getting off of methadone is pretty rough (I was on 380mg a day and am now off of it).

I have to agree with negrogesic. It's a shitty process, but it is completely finite.

(I was on 380mg a day and am now off of it).
Holy shit.... Are you a giant?

The people ive seen on 200+ I thought were lifers to the liquid handcuffs.

Congrats on getting off. I was on 120 for 3 months, 7 years ago, and it was a nightmare, took me another 3 months to taper off.

Congrats on getting off. I was on 120 for 3 months, 7 years ago, and it was a nightmare, took me another 3 months to taper off.
Sure is a huge dose and it’s an achievement to get off of that.

Yeah agreed also. Im on 85mg a day and even the purest h (UK smoked but definitely highly potent) does very little even if i skip a day or 2.
If you want to quit using opiates recreationally, go to 70mg ish and that's that.

If you want to keep dicking around and use occasionally then staying at 30 will allow you to keep tolerance reasonable enough to do so.

I still occasionally try and smoke my way through 85 and all I'll get is a mild tickle for and hour or so. Not worth it, and something I'm trying so hard to stop!!

I don’t want to dick around at all anymore , that was my last , I really hope so, I want free of the pills , they may not be heroin but to some they are just as nasty! I want and I will be free ??

Not a giant (I weigh around 160lbs), but I had a giant desire for opioids. The clinic i went to was private and very expensive -- I asked for more, and they kept on giving me more. I was taking way more than i needed to hold me (80mg would have done the trick). I was getting loaded on methadone. I remember dosing when i woke up (I'd usually split the dose, and take 240mg upon waking and the other 140mg in the afternoon) and 3-4 hours later take the most glorious nap one can imagine. Since i was taking 38 10mg pills a day, I got rather adept at swallowing handfuls of pills at a time (which is hard to do especially with methadose pills, which are pretty crumbly).

When I shattered my ankle after jumping off my apartment complex (I was trying to get back in my locked apartment) and required pretty extensive surgery, for whatever reason they gave me my methadone dose intravenously -- I didn't say a word but I was nodding so hard and uncontrollably I felt like I was ODing.

Tapering off wasnt that difficult. Exercise helped, but I did have to take alot baths to control the arthralgia. I went slowly at my own rate (and without my clinics knowledge) -- it took me about 18 months. Because I received my doses as take home 10mg tablets, I ended up stockpiling thousands of 10mg tablets (ie., the ones I wasn't taking). They were confused as hell when I told them I was done with the clinic.

I ended up getting slightly readdicted and did use all those thousands of saved pills 3-4 years later, but it was pretty minor.

Methadone is probably one of my favorite opioids.

Wow that’s huge amounts , tapering off that high a dosage sounds very tough. The weird thing for me is there’s no way 30 mg of methdadone should hold me never mind give me a slight height yet I feel it does , the only equivalence charts I can find say 3mg of methadone is equal to 30 mg DHC I was taking 900-1100 mg of DHC daily so how 30 mg of methadone is touching me I have no idea and I’m not imagining it ??‍♂️

Fucking legend?
Indeed! That's a massive dose to taper from. Gives me hope i suppose.
I agree that methadone is one of my favourite opiates. I need about 250mg to get a buzz but it lasts ages and feels great.
The trouble lies with the fact i get weekly takehomes, so the temptation is always there to drink 3 bottles, and either crave (not withdraw though) on 50mg instead of 80, or use heroin when i run low.
I work so daily dosing isnt an option.
Wish I'd stayed on subutex grrrrr!

PS i hope this is obvious, but just incase... 250mg or ever 80 will kill an average person. 5-10mg is plenty for anyone who has no tolerance.

Indeed! That's a massive dose to taper from. Gives me hope i suppose.
I agree that methadone is one of my favourite opiates. I need about 250mg to get a buzz but it lasts ages and feels great.
The trouble lies with the fact i get weekly takehomes, so the temptation is always there to drink 3 bottles, and either crave (not withdraw though) on 50mg instead of 80, or use heroin when i run low.
I work so daily dosing isnt an option.
Wish I'd stayed on subutex grrrrr!

PS i hope this is obvious, but just incase... 250mg or ever 80 will kill an average person. 5-10mg is plenty for anyone who has no tolerance.
I get just Sunday take home as is closed on Sunday and I’ve only been on it a month but yes I just admit there’s always that wee devil saying will I just take Sunday’s today as well and get a wee buzz but I’m too worried that the withdrawals would kick in on the Sunday

Sorry for off subject question but how do you like an answer or post, I’ve had e mails saying ppl have reacted to my post with a thumbs up (a like) but I don’t see an option to do it for other people’s posts ??‍♂️

Maybe you have to be a fully fledged bluelighter, by making 50 posts. See under your name it still says greenlighter? Just a guess