• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Methadone

Not a giant (I weigh around 160lbs), but I had a giant desire for opioids. The clinic i went to was private and very expensive -- I asked for more, and they kept on giving me more. I was taking way more than i needed to hold me (80mg would have done the trick). I was getting loaded on methadone. I remember dosing when i woke up (I'd usually split the dose, and take 240mg upon waking and the other 140mg in the afternoon) and 3-4 hours later take the most glorious nap one can imagine. Since i was taking 38 10mg pills a day, I got rather adept at swallowing handfuls of pills at a time (which is hard to do especially with methadose pills, which are pretty crumbly).

When I shattered my ankle after jumping off my apartment complex (I was trying to get back in my locked apartment) and required pretty extensive surgery, for whatever reason they gave me my methadone dose intravenously -- I didn't say a word but I was nodding so hard and uncontrollably I felt like I was ODing.

Tapering off wasnt that difficult. Exercise helped, but I did have to take alot baths to control the arthralgia. I went slowly at my own rate (and without my clinics knowledge) -- it took me about 18 months. Because I received my doses as take home 10mg tablets, I ended up stockpiling thousands of 10mg tablets (ie., the ones I wasn't taking). They were confused as hell when I told them I was done with the clinic.

I ended up getting slightly readdicted and did use all those thousands of saved pills 3-4 years later, but it was pretty minor.

Methadone is probably one of my favorite opioids.
Dude that is seriously hardcore.

Anyone to come off methadone is a strong person.
I was only up to 60 and it took months and the Burmese method to stop

Anyone to come off methadone is a strong person.
I was only up to 60 and it took months and the Burmese method to stop
Same here, I was on 80 -100 for 18 years and the withdrawals nearly broke me.
I got respect anyone who gets off methadone.

Same here, I was on 80 -100 for 18 years and the withdrawals nearly broke me.
I got respect anyone who gets off methadone.

I could be wrong but i believe i read somewhere that under 10% of people on methadone ever get off .
We may be the 10% lol

I could be wrong but i believe i read somewhere that under 10% of people on methadone ever get off .
We may be the 10% lol

Damn i never thought me getting off all of that methadone was such a feat of strength. Though ive read case reports of people taking even more than 380mg, I've never heard a person attest to it (online or otherwise).

I have a feeling I'd have a harder time doing it now though...

I honestly don't know what it's going to take me, if anything ti atop. I'm on 85 a day, weekly takehomes so doesn't mess with life too much. Still get the odd little glow. I sometimes drink 2.5-3 days worth on pik up day and have less through the week, and vet no withdrawals, just slightly more craving.

I genuinely think I may need therapy or for war/apocalypse to happen for me to quit.

Can anyone who was on methadone and gotten off it tell me if life is better off??

I get the impression some days will be wat worse, some way better, but it will be REAL LIFE!!! not the level "meh" of methadone.

"Meh"thadone - registered trademark as of now!

I honestly don't know what it's going to take me, if anything ti atop. I'm on 85 a day, weekly takehomes so doesn't mess with life too much. Still get the odd little glow. I sometimes drink 2.5-3 days worth on pik up day and have less through the week, and vet no withdrawals, just slightly more craving.

I genuinely think I may need therapy or for war/apocalypse to happen for me to quit.

Can anyone who was on methadone and gotten off it tell me if life is better off??

I get the impression some days will be wat worse, some way better, but it will be REAL LIFE!!! not the level "meh" of methadone.

Life is better without methadone, but naps are far less gratifying...

We may be the 10% lol
I read something similar about relapse rates after withdrawing from methadone treatment. I think it was something like 90% relapsed.

I'm sorry your life on methadone has been so meh. Methadone has made it possible for me to actually live life and I love it.

In the years since starting methadone I have improved so much. Since the age of 12 I believed I was incapable of surviving in this world and believed I would die before adulthood, let alone be able to work a job etc. Now I'm twenty eight, in a committed relationship, studying part time (nearly finished my qualification) and working part time.

So methadone has been anything but meh for me. I'm a lifer haha

Interesting! How long you been on it? Has it helped you because it's stopped you using H etc. Or does it have antidepressant/anxiety and motivational effects?
I know methadone is helping me (in some ways) but I've noticed that my emotions are dampened slightly. Not much, but I'm more "level".

Its way better off it , im having some depression with paws but my emotions don't feel as numb and i just generally feel happier and healthier

I'm sorry your life on methadone has been so meh. Methadone has made it possible for me to actually live life and I love it.

In the years since starting methadone I have improved so much. Since the age of 12 I believed I was incapable of surviving in this world and believed I would die before adulthood, let alone be able to work a job etc. Now I'm twenty eight, in a committed relationship, studying part time (nearly finished my qualification) and working part time.

So methadone has been anything but meh for me. I'm a lifer haha

Thats great, methadone helped me get clean, help for the underlying issues, finished college and met the love of my life. For the first time in my life im happy (well except for crying for no reason with paws lol)
I just got to a point where i wanted to be drug free and looking back on my life before methadone, well it wasn't a life at all, is enough to keep me from using again.
If you need it for life, thats great, way better than a lifetime of drugs

Interesting! How long you been on it? Has it helped you because it's stopped you using H etc. Or does it have antidepressant/anxiety and motivational effects?
I know methadone is helping me (in some ways) but I've noticed that my emotions are dampened slightly. Not much, but I'm more "level".
Well it definitely helps that I no longer have to spend so much time/money/effort scoring drugs and don't have to worry about the cops etc.

But I guess the main thing is that before I started using opioids, my life was pretty shit, i had terrible self esteem and depression/anxiety and generally was unable to cope with life.

Opioids made me feel like a normal person who could connect to others and feel happy for the first time. So i certainly don't want to use opioids illegally but I would still be happier doing that than being sober, so once I got on substitution around 7 years ago (first 2 was on sub) my life pretty rapidly turned around and in the last 3 years I've been able to do some really good work with an amazing clinical psychologist (she's been treating me practically for free because we don't have a lot of money) and I started part time work at the start of this year.

So it's not like the methadone straight up cured me or anything but it leveled out my emotions, gave me motivation/energy and stopped me using illicit opioids enough to work on my problems.

It definitely has an antidepressant/anxiolytic effect for me.

Did you also get comparable analgesia from the methadone?

What I have found out is that there is actually a lot of variance in de facto equianalgesia ratios, and especially with a switch like from morphine or DHC to methadone, if one has unusual metabolism especially, they may have to start conservatively and actually hack out the de facto ratio -- for example, hydromorphone is actually 10 times stronger than morphine for me rather than 4 to 8 times and oxycodone is less than 50 per cent as strong, so they found that out and put it in my file so I didn't have problems in the future.

Also, if you have a view to replacing the methadone with the DHC for a day to see how it works, I would think that 17 to 40 hours would be the ideal washout period for the methadone and then maybe 8 hours on the other side to wash out the DHC. When I have done washout intervals betwixt different medications, I have chosen a somewhat tolerable and very clear-cut early withdrawal symptom like mild rebound pain or runny nose to indicate that the washout was more or less done.
Just reading back on all this .... I did try the DHC on top of methadone , it was ok but to be honest I’ve found I now just prefer the buzz off methadone , it’s a cleaner buzz for me, ppl say you don’t get euphoria off methadone but I think you do. I’m not at the stage where my 30 ml of methadone makes me feel good but I think it’s just Cos I’m off the pills and getting life back together , it’s not a high,I was occasionally taking a double dose or a little more than one dose on a weekend to relax and get a buzz but for months now I’ve just been using my methadone as prescribed and nothing else at all , time to look to slowly coming off the methadone slowly and surely maybe from start of next year depending on this corona virus.
I hope all involved in this convo are safe and well