• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Methadone Withdrawal (VS) Suboxone Withdrawal

No worries bro, it's all good. I'm from Massachusetts, born and raised.
I forgot about the character Cheddar Bob, I should have remembered, that picture was from the scene when he pulled his piece and proceeded to shoot himself. Lol

Well, I have gone through both of them and both times while in jail and I can say for sure that the suboxone withdrawal was about 100 times easier than the methadone withdrawal to get through and manage. I got locked up in Jan 2010 while I was on 16mg of subs. My doctor was actually really fucking cool and gave me 1 more script to take while in jail in the hopes that I would get out and be able to continue my treatment. Unfortunately, I ended up getting revoked from parole and had to go back to prison. When I ran out of my subs in the jail, I experienced some minor symptoms of just a feeling of general ick that lasted probably 10-14 days, but nothing close to what I went through when I got arrested for possession of cocaine and heroin in 2020. At the time I was in the methadone clinic in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and was on 290mg of methadone (I'm a fast metabolizer). The bitch ass judge ordered a $1000 cash bail, even though I was already in treatment, so I was locked up for 36 days before I could finally convince the court to lower my bail. What I went through during those 36 days is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. Days 1-5 onset of withdrawal symptoms, severe anxiety, restlessness, sweating, yawning, runny nose, sneezing, no appetite and insomnia. Days 5-15 were the worst for sure, severe anxiety and panic actually, severe restlessness, feeling like I had a demon in my chest that was trying to burst forth like an alien from some fucking horror movie, severe everything, sweating, cold, sneezing, gagging, vomiting, diarrhea, and insomnia. The 3 worse things during this time was the anxiety/panic, restlessness and insomnia. I would literally thrash around the bed unable to get comfortable, the guards thought I was having a seizure several times. And of course, by this time I hadn't slept in over a week, so I started hallucinating and losing my grip on reality, my pupils were as big as flying saucers. Days 15-36, after a solid 2 weeks the symptoms started to lessen a little every day, but certainly did not go away. Still the worst part of this time for me was the constant anxiety and total inability to sleep. I literally begged the jail nurse to help me and the best they could do was give me .1 of clonidine every 6 hours after making me get out of bed to take my blood pressure. Bitches, they could have given me gabapentin, hydroxyzine, tizanidine, trazodone, Seroquel, and several others that probably would have made it at least somewhat manageable/tolerable. When I got out after 36 days I still was in withdrawal, still felt like shit. In a stroke of luck, I had some subs stashed away at home and took 4mg the second I got home and 45 minutes later I felt fucking great, it was over. I had literally walked through hell and been thrashed by devils on my way through but somehow made it through. I prayed a lot and begged God to help me or take my life. Like I said I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Well, I have gone through both of them and both times while in jail and I can say for sure that the suboxone withdrawal was about 100 times easier than the methadone withdrawal to get through and manage. I got locked up in Jan 2010 while I was on 16mg of subs. My doctor was actually really fucking cool and gave me 1 more script to take while in jail in the hopes that I would get out and be able to continue my treatment. Unfortunately, I ended up getting revoked from parole and had to go back to prison. When I ran out of my subs in the jail, I experienced some minor symptoms of just a feeling of general ick that lasted probably 10-14 days, but nothing close to what I went through when I got arrested for possession of cocaine and heroin in 2020. At the time I was in the methadone clinic in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and was on 290mg of methadone (I'm a fast metabolizer). The bitch ass judge ordered a $1000 cash bail, even though I was already in treatment, so I was locked up for 36 days before I could finally convince the court to lower my bail. What I went through during those 36 days is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. Days 1-5 onset of withdrawal symptoms, severe anxiety, restlessness, sweating, yawning, runny nose, sneezing, no appetite and insomnia. Days 5-15 were the worst for sure, severe anxiety and panic actually, severe restlessness, feeling like I had a demon in my chest that was trying to burst forth like an alien from some fucking horror movie, severe everything, sweating, cold, sneezing, gagging, vomiting, diarrhea, and insomnia. The 3 worse things during this time was the anxiety/panic, restlessness and insomnia. I would literally thrash around the bed unable to get comfortable, the guards thought I was having a seizure several times. And of course, by this time I hadn't slept in over a week, so I started hallucinating and losing my grip on reality, my pupils were as big as flying saucers. Days 15-36, after a solid 2 weeks the symptoms started to lessen a little every day, but certainly did not go away. Still the worst part of this time for me was the constant anxiety and total inability to sleep. I literally begged the jail nurse to help me and the best they could do was give me .1 of clonidine every 6 hours after making me get out of bed to take my blood pressure. Bitches, they could have given me gabapentin, hydroxyzine, tizanidine, trazodone, Seroquel, and several others that probably would have made it at least somewhat manageable/tolerable. When I got out after 36 days I still was in withdrawal, still felt like shit. In a stroke of luck, I had some subs stashed away at home and took 4mg the second I got home and 45 minutes later I felt fucking great, it was over. I had literally walked through hell and been thrashed by devils on my way through but somehow made it through. I prayed a lot and begged God to help me or take my life. Like I said I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Thanks for sharing your story, I can never imagine being dope sick well being locked up - that's some worst nightmare type shit. Thankfully I've never been in trouble with the law and don't plan to.
My friend got caught with a Glock / "ghost gun", before it came time to turn himself in to do his sentence he tapered himself off suboxone.. That sucks in its own right, but I can only imagine how he felt the day he turned himself in, knowing your facing years and won't be able to see your kids grow up.

Thanks for sharing your story, I can never imagine being dope sick well being locked up - that's some worst nightmare type shit. Thankfully I've never been in trouble with the law and don't plan to.
My friend got caught with a Glock / "ghost gun", before it came time to turn himself in to do his sentence he tapered himself off suboxone.. That sucks in its own right, but I can only imagine how he felt the day he turned himself in, knowing your facing years and won't be able to see your kids grow up.
Yeah man it is some worst nightmare type shit. Looking back on it I'm not even sure how I actually got through that. I can tell you for sure that if I had had the means to kill myself in there I very likely would have. I do remember praying a lot and begging God to help me or take my life. Getting arrested and going to jail is basically the likely outcome of using drugs, at least using the drugs I was crack/heroin/fentanyl. When you use for long enough you eventually start doing stupid shit to get money that will land you in jail eventually and nobody ever plans to get arrested but it is the inevitable consequence of prolonged hard drug use.

Subbie withdrawal can be really nasty. I came off 4mg a few years ago during covid and I was climbing the walls. This was especially bad because it was just me and the misses in one studio flat and i felt really bad for her though she was lovely about it all. I went 48 hrs cold turkey then did a pack of 16 otc neurofen plus, then 48 hrs cold turkey, then 16 neurofen plus etc... for 2 weeks. Then I took 4 neurofen plus (50 mg codeine) a day for 4 weeks as i had gone back to work by that time, then called it there. Felt dead for 2 weeks but was fine after. Ketamine and weed help. Avoid alcohol because the hangover while in opiate withdrawals is truly unbearable.
Came off about 18 ml of methadone before and that was a real horror story.

I know how hard methadone withdrawal is but what about suboxone? I've heard from multiple people that suboxone withdrawal is relatively minor. How true is that? I also imagine it depends on dosage.

I jumped off Methadone at 20mgs and got really sick. The worst of it was constant nausea (certain smells, sounds, or movement made me want to vomit). Also lack of appetite, insomnia, diarrhea, and anxiety.

I jumped off at 80mg, made it about two weeks, took an opana here and there to make it bearable. I also had clonidine and Valium.

However it became so bad I went to my shrink and he put me on suboxone. I didn’t do it his way. He wanted to induce me at an enormous dose. He also didn’t give me a copy of the sheet where you score your withdrawal symptoms and only induce once you get to a certain point or else you go into precipitated withdrawal. I had done research and knew more about it than he did. So I started low and then tapered to a minute amount - it might have been .125mg iirc. I had a razor blade and cut the tiniest pieces off.

It took forever to taper down from where I started to there and I felt awful the whole time. I never liked the way I felt with subs. I also spit out the naltrexone after bup had absorbed into my mouth. Stained my teeth orange. But I managed to go on vacation and enjoy myself so it must not have been too bad. I was awful, irritable, but could do things. I could never do things when in methadone withdrawal. Never. It felt like I was wearing concrete boots. So exhausted all the time. I did manage to pull myself together and go on a few dates though.

To answer your question, both sucked. It took an entire summer to get off of suboxone. However I never felt like I was going to die like I did when I was withdrawing from methadone. Methadone hands down. I wouldn’t haven’t gotten off of it wo suboxone.

Hi. I have recently stopped methadone after 6 years OLD and wish I knew since I jumped off 7 days ago I have slightly gotten better but I still can't stop restless body and legs and have had less that 4 hours sleep in a week. Does anyone know how long to expect this or does it differ from person to person. Also I was on 140 and tapered down to ten before stopping. Thanks. Any suggestions appreciated. Stu

Hi. I have recently stopped methadone after 6 years OLD and wish I knew since I jumped off 7 days ago I have slightly gotten better but I still can't stop restless body and legs and have had less that 4 hours sleep in a week. Does anyone know how long to expect this or does it differ from person to person. Also I was on 140 and tapered down to ten before stopping. Thanks. Any suggestions appreciated. Stu
My dad jumped off methadone cold turkey @ 160mgs - he was in hell for a month, I honestly don't know how he didn't end up in the hospital.

I jumped off methadone @ 20 mgs right before Thanksgiving, went about a week and a half sick.. I got tired of the nausea, anxiety, and diarrhea so I resorted to suboxone and been on half a strip per day (4mgs) since.

For RLS Baclofen helped me, or benzodiazepines would most likely help too.

My dad jumped off methadone cold turkey @ 160mgs - he was in hell for a month, I honestly don't know how he didn't end up in the hospital.

I jumped off methadone @ 20 mgs right before Thanksgiving, went about a week and a half sick.. I got tired of the nausea, anxiety, and diarrhea so I resorted to suboxone and been on half a strip per day (4mgs) since.

I was on 140 and tapered down to ten before stopping. Thanks. Any suggestions appreciated. I come to the conclusion that the resources on getting people on methadone are a lot more than getting off. They authority's want us on the liquid handcuffs' and on no opiate lists. You cant holiday, associating with friends that still use is near impossible, and the N/A is a church recruitment ploy. It's lonely when your whole life you have been getting high and you stop. I was an addict for 42 years. Even remember sniffing glue and solvent and 8 years old. I didnt know why. It's something I inherited from family. I've had no kids because of it. I would never suicide. I'm going to die soon enough now I have cirrhosis. I just wish society could realise that when you have communicated with a certain type of personality your whole life that I have nothing in common with straight folk. I find them boring and judgemental. Especially the one who help you for a weekly wage. Just give me what I need to get better, all junkies do not reject spirituality. William Burroughs was a priest. There is nothing in any religious text to condemn drugs and opium was alive and kicking when they were apparently written. The Qur'an does mention it in more modern versions though. It's hard to believe a higher being would make so many temptations that lead to drug outcome. If it's a test they can go get f______. Drugs and religion have a long history. Look it up. I know I've never felt closer to bliss than when I'm wasted and I grew up catholic in Belfast. Decriminalisation is the only humane way. Unfortunately fire, water and religion have no mercy.

I was on 140 and tapered down to ten before stopping. Thanks. Any suggestions appreciated. I come to the conclusion that the resources on getting people on methadone are a lot more than getting off. They authority's want us on the liquid handcuffs' and on no opiate lists. You cant holiday, associating with friends that still use is near impossible, and the N/A is a church recruitment ploy. It's lonely when your whole life you have been getting high and you stop. I was an addict for 42 years. Even remember sniffing glue and solvent and 8 years old. I didnt know why. It's something I inherited from family. I've had no kids because of it. I would never suicide. I'm going to die soon enough now I have cirrhosis. I just wish society could realise that when you have communicated with a certain type of personality your whole life that I have nothing in common with straight folk. I find them boring and judgemental. Especially the one who help you for a weekly wage. Just give me what I need to get better, all junkies do not reject spirituality. William Burroughs was a priest. There is nothing in any religious text to condemn drugs and opium was alive and kicking when they were apparently written. The Qur'an does mention it in more modern versions though. It's hard to believe a higher being would make so many temptations that lead to drug outcome. If it's a test they can go get f______. Drugs and religion have a long history. Look it up. I know I've never felt closer to bliss than when I'm wasted and I grew up catholic in Belfast. Decriminalisation is the only humane way. Unfortunately fire, water and religion have no mercy.
Me personally I feel like the Methadone clinics are nothing but poison pushers, they care more about the money than they do the patient. They also lie and push propaganda. They never ask if you want to lower your dose, but they'll damn sure encourage you to raise it. They also fuck with people, I didn't have one dirty urine my entire year on the clinic but they wouldn't give me my take homes for stupid reasons. The nurses at the dosing windows also play favorites. One time I forgot my keys for my lock box and they bounced me from getting a holiday take home that day. A few months later I seen that same nurse give someone a take home who didn't even have a lock box because they left it at home. Needless to say I was PISSED! They should apply the rules fairly to everyone but they don't.

Me personally I feel like the Methadone clinics are nothing but poison pushers, they care more about the money than they do the patient. They also lie and push propaganda. They never ask if you want to lower your dose, but they'll damn sure encourage you to raise it. They also fuck with people, I didn't have one dirty urine my entire year on the clinic but they wouldn't give me my take homes for stupid reasons. The nurses at the dosing windows also play favorites. One time I forgot my keys for my lock box and they bounced me from getting a holiday take home that day. A few months later I seen that same nurse give someone a take home who didn't even have a lock box because they left it at home. Needless to say I was PISSED! They should apply the rules fairly to everyone but they don't.
They also try to make you feel that they are entitled to make decisions in your life, never apparently make mistakes and make no effort to accommodate your life cos I'm not supposed to bloody have one. No wonder people drop the done and turn to metho.

Belfast boy
I walk down a broken street in search of my Promised Land, I'm on a mission from God and my God's name is Heroin. In the distance I can hear the gunfire, I'm in a holy war, my sergeant's named desire. I walk past other junkies nodding out against a wall, We're fighting the same cause, fighting against withdrawal. I reach my destination, I talk with the man, I hand him twenty pounds and he puts my God in my hand. Heroin you must be God for everything I do is for you,

I'd crawl ten miles on broken glass for you. I'd sell my soul, my family and friends for you, If you asked me to sell myself, I'd do that too, You can see I'm truly nothing, nothing without you. But if you're really God, you leave me confused, At times I feel like I've really been used. You leave me shivering when it's not really cold,

Unable to walk and I'm not even old.

You leave me penniless when I'm not even poor,

You leave me feeling beaten, aching and sore.

You take away my pride, my looks and my health,

Make me lie to my family, my friends and myself. Although for you I have dedicated my life, What have you done for me except stabbed me with a knife? I look in the mirror at my own bloodshot eyes, I stare at a man whose world is all lies. I think about my past and start to realize, You're not a God at all, but the Devil in disguise.

Last edited:
Even though I've been on suboxone for.. idk, like 8 years now, I don't have much direct w.d experience, most times was jumping from bupe to fent or dilaudid, then eventually having to detox for a few days before going back to bupe. But there was once, I remember it took so long for the w/d to kick in that I thought I had beat it, only for it to finally hit on the 5th or 6th day, in the middle of the day, and I had to leave work... and ended up going back. Even still, I don't think methadone is any better, being that its a full agonist and all.

Even though I've been on suboxone for.. idk, like 8 years now, I don't have much direct w.d experience, most times was jumping from bupe to fent or dilaudid, then eventually having to detox for a few days before going back to bupe. But there was once, I remember it took so long for the w/d to kick in that I thought I had beat it, only for it to finally hit on the 5th or 6th day, in the middle of the day, and I had to leave work... and ended up going back. Even still, I don't think methadone is any better, being that its a full agonist and all.
Well it's not unusual buddy, as long as you can get your hands on fent and dilauded.
Sounds to me like you've got a handle on things

Belfast bloody Belfast
I walk down a broken street in search of my Promised Land, I'm on a mission from God and my God's name is Heroin. In the distance I can hear the gunfire, I'm in a holy war, my sergeant's named desire. I walk past other junkies nodding out against a wall, We're fighting the same cause, fighting against withdrawal. I reach my destination, I talk with the man, I hand him twenty pounds, he puts my God in my hand. Heroin you must be God for everything I do is for you,

I'd crawl ten miles on broken glass for you. I'd sell my soul, my family and friends for you, If you asked me to sell myself, I'd do that too, You can see I'm truly nothing, nothing without you. But if you're really God, you leave me confused, At times I feel like I've really been used. You leave me shivering when it's not really cold,

Unable to walk and I'm not even old.

You leave me penniless when I'm not even poor,

You leave me feeling beaten, aching and sore.

You take away my pride, my looks and my health,

Make me lie to my family, my friends and myself. Although for you I have dedicated my life, What have you done for me except stabbed me with a knife? I look in the mirror at my own bloodshot eyes, I stare at a man whose world is all lies. I think about my past and start to realize, You're not a God at all, but the Devil in disguise.

This has been a very interesting thread to read through, cheers Cheddar Bob and to rest of the posters here. I full on empathize with all of you and wish you all the best.
Peace.

I have detoxed from both methadone and Subutex and I found the Subutex a bit easier. I jumped off methadone at just 3MG and didn't notice any big signs of withdrawal, and with subutex I jumped off at 0.2MG a day, I felt fine doing this too.

I would try and reduce your dose from 4MG to something lower to make it as easy as possible on yourself when you do make the jump off. I am not familiar with strips being in the UK but can you cut them up any smaller to get a smaller dose?

Ive been seriously thinking about tapering down from my Suboxone. I’m sick and tired of dealing with the pharmacy every week and their bs. Waiting in the methadone line for like an hour while about 5 people I know pass by (small town). And I know people talk, ugh. It shouldn’t bother me because I’m proud of my sobriety but it does bother me still.

Suboxone withdrawals are a cake walk for me compared to oxy withdrawals.

I know how hard methadone withdrawal is but what about suboxone? I've heard from multiple people that suboxone withdrawal is relatively minor. How true is that? I also imagine it depends on dosage.

I jumped off Methadone at 20mgs and got really sick. The worst of it was constant nausea (certain smells, sounds, or movement made me want to vomit). Also lack of appetite, insomnia, diarrhea, and anxiety.
I’ve experienced both. From what I remember, suboxone withdrawal wasn’t too bad. However, I jumped off methadone at 30mg and was sick for about a month. It’s pretty bad, but at that point I was just so over being dependent on anything that it didn’t even bother me to have to tough it out like that