• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone Wean. Can I Half My Dose @ Once?

TayVicJoh

Greenlighter
I've read so many stories of people on high doses of Methadone cut the dose in half all at once. For instance they're on 150mg and go down to 75mg no problem.

Im on 30mg right now. Is cutting my dose in half to15mg feasible? And by feasible I mean without the bone crushing wds?

Has anyone tried to cut their dose in half starting from a moderate dose like 30mg? How did it go?

Thanks

I would imagine that going from 150 to 75 would be much more difficult that going 30 to 15.

methadone is the hardest opiate to come off you should really try to get switched to suboxone and do a rapid detox within 14 days so you dont get addicted to the subs

too much of a drastic dose change, expect a good degree of withdrawals and without symptomatic treatment you could find yourself back to your regular dosing

I've been on methadone for 3 years with 6 take homes a week and when I would drop from 240mg (because I would abuse my take homes) back to my original dose of 80mg I would feel the same as I did on 240mg. Dropping from 30mg to 15mg will be much more difficult then dropping from a really high dose to a normal dose. I don't abuse my take homes any more and I feel a million times better. Hope this helps

The lower you go the more difficult it is going to become. I would not suggest cutting 30 to 15. A better solution would be 30 to 25, 25 for a week. 25 to 20, 20 for a week. 20 to 15, 15 for a week and so on.

They normally taper you down by 5mg/day every two weeks, but you can of course cut down as fast as you like. I went cold turkey from 60mg of Methadone. I was pretty sick for 10 weeks but overall I'm very glad I did it the way I did. I's much rather be very ill for 10 weeks than moderately ill for months on end tapering.

Feasible is an interesting word choice. It's feasible but I wouldn't recommend it unless it's necessary. Everyone has their own story. As FUBAR has touched on, different phases of withdrawal are of variable difficulty to different folks. For myself, all of it was relatively easy from 120mg -> 5mg at which point I jumped off. The most painful part for me was going from any level of Opioid to absolute zero. Absolute zero really increased my cravings, withdrawal syndrome, everything.

It's common practice as you probably know for Methadone clinics to immediately half-dose individuals who test positive for Benzodiazepine usage until they can produce a clean urine and/or a lie of sufficient quality. I've always believed this policy to be more detrimental than helpful to the patient in question, as a one time dosage of, say, Diazepam (Valium) or Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) can cause a positive result for up to 4 weeks. This is plenty of time for the patient to continue a downward spiral into oblivion and for many, such an event marks the end of what might have otherwise been relatively successful maintenance treatment.

The takeaway here, I feel is that you shouldn't do this sort of thing unless there is a good reason for it. Slower is always better. Even if you can "handle it", a more rigorous withdrawal experience is a major impetus for return to daily/chronic usage of street Opioids. Reducing the dose of any patient immediately by 50% is bound to be emotionally and physically traumatic regardless of the individual.

I've read so many stories of people on high doses of Methadone cut the dose in half all at once. For instance they're on 150mg and go down to 75mg no problem.

Im on 30mg right now. Is cutting my dose in half to15mg feasible? And by feasible I mean without the bone crushing wds?

Has anyone tried to cut their dose in half starting from a moderate dose like 30mg? How did it go?

Thanks
I’ve been detoxing myself from 30mg liquid. But evry 2 weeks I have to take my dose before i get my 2 week take homes..

I get a 13 small Botles watered down 30mg methadone take homes .my take homes I dump out almost all the bottle and drink the 1 teaspoon with water . I can barely taste the methadone is it safe to go down to zero ?

I get a 13 small Botles watered down 30mg methadone take homes .my take homes I dump out almost all the bottle and drink the 1 teaspoon with water . I can barely taste the methadone is it safe to go down to zero ?
I’ve been feel o

They normally taper you down by 5mg/day every two weeks, but you can of course cut down as fast as you like. I went cold turkey from 60mg of Methadone. I was pretty sick for 10 weeks but overall I'm very glad I did it the way I did. I's much rather be very ill for 10 weeks than moderately ill for months on end tapering.
My counselor told me they only taper 2 mg at a time .. is this true?

I would imagine that going from 150 to 75 would be much more difficult that going 30 to 15.
Would it really???? Im surprised by this but i do know methadone is very long lasting, hell the effects last after its outta the body which is my experience its kinda shitty as it helps with withdrawal but since it zaps highs i cant use it since i only end up short once in awhile and its not worth it for me :/

Years ago I went from 380mg to 180mg (the most they'd give me when I was staying in Australia) and I got pretty sick...

You can decrease as fast as you can tolerate however.

I'm glad to be off of opioids, but I do remember methadone quite fondly. Weirdly it would be up there on my opioids of choice (though i havent had any in 8 years perhaps).

I was addicted to opiates for 10 years and I did ibogaine which finally helped me have the willpower to not want opiates anymore. It was a miracle for me.

From what I hear it doesn't work nearly as well if you're on super long-lasting opioids like methadone and suboxone. The only safe way to do it is to go to an ibogaine clinic, where they'll monitor your heart and stuff. Most of them will only do it if you switch to a short-acting opiate like codeine, kratom, even heroin. This is because ibogaine takes away withdrawals and it has long-lasting metabolites that also help protect from withdrawals, and if you are on a very long-lasting opiate, that protection wears off well before you're done withdrawing.