• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ v 2.0

Hey all I imagine I have about 15-20 mg methadone active in my system, I dont use for opiate WDs or pain just been using them to nod/be intoxicated over the past couple weeks.

I know methadone has a rep for accidental overdose when mixed with other downers. Im going out someplace in a couple hours where Ill be needing my anxiety meds though. Is 20 mg methadone and 1 mg xanax low enough doses that they might still be mixed? I think my body can probably handle 40mg of the -done by now, Im hoping half that dose, plus just 1mg xanax, is acceptable...

Hey all I imagine I have about 15-20 mg methadone active in my system, I dont use for opiate WDs or pain just been using them to nod/be intoxicated over the past couple weeks.

I know methadone has a rep for accidental overdose when mixed with other downers. Im going out someplace in a couple hours where Ill be needing my anxiety meds though. Is 20 mg methadone and 1 mg xanax low enough doses that they might still be mixed? I think my body can probably handle 40mg of the -done by now, Im hoping half that dose, plus just 1mg xanax, is acceptable...

I'm on 40mg methadone and take up to 5mg of Xanax some days. I can't say I've noticed much difference between taking the xanax alone or with 'done to be honest. Just be careful and know your limits. You should be fine with 1mg, though :).

I wouldn't drink...or at least stick to a couple beers at most. Methadone + xanax + alcohol is just asking for trouble.

If you are nodding you are not too much, sorry to say. Most mmt ppl who want to nod and READ I DONOT RECOMEND this, do whats called cocktailing taking stuff like clonidine, phenegren and xanax on top of it amd you will super sloppy fucked up up. Its not like a sophisticated clean heroin nod. Ymmv. Just tryin to look out.

If you are nodding you are not too much, sorry to say. Most mmt ppl who want to nod and READ I DONOT RECOMEND this, do whats called cocktailing taking stuff like clonidine, phenegren and xanax on top of it amd you will super sloppy fucked up up. Its not like a sophisticated clean heroin nod. Ymmv. Just tryin to look out.

Would that work without the clonidine?

Sorry that was for someone who posted earlier and i didnt see there were a bunch ahead of me, but yea it would withouut the clonidine. Like i said, be careful combining downers is super dangerous

Yes it does lower testosterone and libido and can cause erection problems....im on 180mg for pain and take testosterone injections to counter this........on the plus side it makes me last a long time in bed lol!

It gave me testosterone problems so much I need to shoot myself (SC) testosterone once a week, but I never got sexual side effects, just the complete rest of the list of low testosterone and also cortisol, thankfully I was already lowering my dose every 2 weeks, got at 41 mg, spent 48 hours without any and am now on suboxone which is several times fucking better, now there's this MRI of my pituitary and needing to see an endocrinologist to get oral cortisone pills in one form or another. I hope the methadone didn't exacerbate an existing condition of mine....at least I have it to thank for showing me my body had a problem. Although I can't say "yay" about pituitary gland tumours...(I'll know if I get a clear MRI..) for 11 months it also made me stop wasting my money on fucking overpriced (to me) black market 4mg brand name dillies.Overpriced for the habit I had, it was the same price for 2 and no break in price with buying more....old greedy asshole.

So.. back at the juice bar... and the option of liquid or tabs has been presented this time around.... I just assume liquid kicks in quicker.. and you may feel it more quickly... but at the same time, might wear of slightly quicker...

There are definitely people who have a preferrence though... any opinions?

So.. back at the juice bar... and the option of liquid or tabs has been presented this time around.... I just assume liquid kicks in quicker.. and you may feel it more quickly... but at the same time, might wear of slightly quicker...

There are definitely people who have a preferrence though... any opinions?

I like the liquid because it hits faster. I never noticed it wearing off any quicker either.

Last edited:
word... ive always stuck to the liquid.. and I think im going to.

I had great success my first time with the clinic and detox was not difficult.. so im going to stick to the plan and not go above 60 mgs. :) thanks.

Funny, everyone at my clinic says the pills are better. The shit stacks so much bc of the half life ive never had the pills long enough to see if they are better. They do dissolve pretty quick tho.

Im on the pills for pain....36 x 5mg tabs a day but had the liquid for years before that and I think the difference is purely psychological.....the taste from the juice triggers ur brain into thinking releif is coming and obviously you don't get that with pills.

Hey all, yesterday night, SWIM took 2 10mg methadone pills at around 8pm and didnt feel any effects from them (which is fine because SWIM just wanted some relief from physical injuries). This morning at around 930 am, SWIM took another 10mg pill and went through his day. Still, SWIM never felt any effects from it which wasn't really the point of taking it. At around 445, SWIM took 2 more 10mg pills and that was it. It wasn't up until meow that SWIM started feeling some kind of buzz from what he took. Maybe it's a slight buzz+ being tired.

Now, SWIM has a VERY large tolerance to opiates. Somewhere in the ball park of taking +75mg's of oxycodone to get a DECENT buzz. So, my question regarding SWIM is, is he safe to go to sleep? He's not nodding off, or even seems impaired other than just feeling slightly lifted. He has heard is very easy to OD on methadone if you take too much in a short period of time.. But a lot of the OD's he's heard about has been with people who have zero tolerance or take so freaking much and mixing it with other things. A response would appreciated sooner than later of course.
Please and thank you all!!

Yours truly,

bluemansland

Everyone is different. But its not a good idea to go to sleep after taking alit of mdone, especially if you don't know how your body is gonna react to it

I began MMT treatment today. Took me 6 fucking hours to get dosed but I can't afford the boy & pills anymore. My tolerance wasn't very high so I'm hoping I can get off of this shit ASAP. Too bad this shit isn't free. I'd get high for the rest of my life...

Yea, that was SWIM's thoughts exactly so SWIM stayed up for a pretty long time until he felt like it was safe for him to sleep. It's safe to say that it's not worth the risk of doing methadone unless you know fo SHOW what the correct dose is.

I'm in tennessee and pay $$$ dollars a week for mmt. What is the cost where you are?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this would be a good place to add a link to this resource. It's a directory of methadone clinics in the U.S. and Canada. I used it when I moved to Ontario this year, it was the only place I could find that had listings for each Canadian province.

Methadone Clinic Directory

OK guys... I have a major problem on my hands.. sigh.

I am on tegretal XR (to treat bi polar..) I take 400 MGS XR (twice daily) and my state funded doc... literally is scripting me 1000 MGS XR a day... (I take 200 mgs less per day than scripted... cause I dont need it!.. I also have gabapentin and ativan piled on top. (Personally I think 800-1000 MGS is WAY too much for my needs.. and I honestly should have done more research about tegretal in general before getting on so high of a dose....).. Anyways.. I'm currently on 50 mgs of methadone. (Been in the program 2 weeks now..) The problem is..

"CYP-450 is a liver enzyme and drugs that speed up metabolic rate do so through this enzyme. This is how Tegretol (carbamazepine) and other siezure disorder medications effect methadone, by inducing CYP-450 which them speed up liver metabolism. Tegretol is a strong inducer of hepatic CYP-450 enzyme activity in the liver. The accelerated metabolism may eliminate methadone entirely within 24 hours causing the abstinence syndrome. For most patients raising the dose will work, however in a few cases patients will continue to experience the abstinence syndrome."...

So basically.. I feel fine during the day.. after I dose.. but EVERY single morning... come around 5 am... I have diarrhea, sweating.. and by 7 am.. I have a runny nose... back and leg pain.. basically.. it feels like 80% of withdrawl has kicked in... The methadone doctor... somewhat suggested suboxone/asked my experience with it.. during the interview.. (pretty sure shortly after I told him I was on tegretal...) After telling him... about my horrible experience with suboxone.. and that I had absolutely no interest in starting that... we discussed how I would start treatment... I have been through treatment before.. was very strict with myself.. never went above 45 mgs (it always held me..and detoxing was a BREEZE... no anxiety or real pain to speak of.. it was wonderful.... I didn't realize HOW much tegretal affected the metabolism.. of methadone.. until about a week after treatment.. such horrible sickness started setting in... during the mornings.. (and the doc who scripts me tegretal.. informed me of some people having major interactions.. and some people in methadone maintenence having problems with the dose holding them.. )I do think that with a dose adjustment.. here and there.. That I will eventually get to an OK point.. but honestly.. I started thinking about when its time to taper off... Im going to be getting sick CONSTANTLY... I honestly dont even think I could get off methadone realistically.. while on tegretal... (well unless I wanted to suffer MAJORLY...)... Ive only tried 2 drugs for mood stabilization.. but tegretal is the only one.. that really has worked.. I'm thinking.. that im going to have to switch bi polar drugs... Realistically.. before I start my taper.. (it sounds sorta crazy to switch a whole medication regime for bi polar disorder.. just cause of the methadone... but realistically.. I dont see any other options... I feel like the methadone doctor .. underestimated the potential problem with the tegretal dose im on.. as well as .. sorta kept me in the dark.. Am I being realistic here??? I don't know what to think. Im really bummed out over the whole situation.. and stressed out as well.