• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

* Methadone Maintenance Therapy (MMT) MEGATHREAD *

7 1/2 weeks when I kicked at 60mg , the RLS is by far the worst part imo because you are so damn tired. Best choice I ever made, hardest thing to follow through with. Best of luck bud.

I want to get on methadone but I am unsure!

I really would appreciate your advice please! <3

I am 22 in may, been doing opiates since I was 19, I get sick every 5 hours like clockwork and it takes about an 80 of oxy just to feel not sick. I shoot up sometimes. I am living at my moms because I got kicked out of the place I was living for "having a dark aura" ( the guy was a fucking freak lol.)

Its very hard living at my moms, just because we have known each other for so long, its winter, shes not legally aloud to have me here, we can be at each others throats often. But I have a fucking dope habit, no cash, and no home, and like I said, its winter. I can support my dope habit though somehow, not even sure how I do it, really.

So I pretty much accepted that I was going to die in a pit of hell lol, but these days I feel the urge to live and grow! I know that this whole "I am evil" thing is just a put on in my head full of attachments and stupid ideas about myself. So underneath that is the child in me. My heart is still there, just covered up with ash. So I want to let it grow again, but I am in such a fucked up predicament.

I was thinking methadone would be good because it would allow me to get a place and a job and stuff like that. You know, normal stuff? Then I could detox at my leisure in like 6 months or something, not that its a leisurely thing!

I am sick of wasting my energy copping dope, and I am sick of relapsing. I am sick of always being sick.

I have some questions about methadone and I dont trust the doctors. Will methadone make me look all fucked up? You know, sick looking? Will it make me sick in the long run? Will my teeth rot? Do you think I can quit in 6 months if I taper slowly to nothing?

I have the opportunity to WD now, but I am more worried about the depression, which lasts like god knows how many months, and I am worried about my inability to take care of myself during this time. I need dope to function.

So thats my little synopsis of my externally screwed up life.. your thoughts please :)
<3

Oh and one more thing! Any of you had opiate related psychosis? I never heard of people talking about this, but I definitely get crazy off opiates sometimes. I def hallucinate a lot and hear voices. I see cats everywhere. When I try getting off opiates I have serious mental breakdowns and get scared as fuck. You guys experience that to?

Thats what keeps me from WDing. Not the body thing. I am bi polar, so obviously that has something to do with it too though. Thanks!! :D

Last edited:
Methadone does not make you look all sickly like you said. The taper-down and getting-off process can be pretty hard. It is tough to get off of unless you are really ready.

It sounds like you need some sort of treatment though, I think suboxone would be better because its easier to get off. But take what is available to you. Have you ever thought about going to treatment? I've been like multiple times, lol... "Retread" and i'm on MMT (Methadone maintenance treatment). if you have any other questions about methadone maintenance, or suboxone (i've been on that too) feel free to PM me :)

Hey man, just browsing through, not an opiate user here... But I think you oughta go for it, this is the prime of your life (I'm 22 too) and you've got so much to live for.

Totally sucks that you can't get suboxone in Canada, what fascism ! Socialized health care my buttocks. Here is a link that a friend of mine from up there sent me, hope it helps:

http://www.indro-online.de/canada.htm

Good luck, I wonder how long its going to take your government to wake up?

yeh the lack of suboxone is gay...
Draigan i thought i pissed you off by yelling at you to get on methadone,
but it seems my harsh words broke through...good for you for realising what you have to do...best of luck in the future,
and from what i felt, methadone's downside for me were that it still makes you slightly noddy and disoriented, but it doesnt get you as fucked up as proper opioids. also, it totally kills cravings and withdrawals which is great. i dont think it damages your bones or teeth, thats probably an urban myth.

yes, socialized healthcare has a lot of faggy downsides to it. things just often dont get done (or, it takes about 50 years to change ANYTHING). there's two sides to everything of course.

the main reason MMT works is because it blocks out other opioids, so you cant get high even if you try, and it kills cravings and WDs. tapering off of meth is hard, but since there's no personal pshychological element to it, it is in a way easier. but maybe harder physically, im not sure. but keep in mind the tapering is controlled, so its milder than cold turkeying off a daily abuse thing

also, in canada its FREE. so no more hunting after pills and spending a year's worth of rent every month on BS.
about the hallucination thing...i dont think its related specifically to opiates, its just abusing any drug for a long period can break the walls of reality in your mind, especially if youre predisposed. those cats shold go away eventually.

strange. i never really hallucinate, but after like, not sleeping for a few nights and getting stoned or something, i also see little black cats in the corner of my eye. wtf is it with nutjobs and cats?? ;)

Hey man, just browsing through, not an opiate user here... But I think you oughta go for it, this is the prime of your life (I'm 22 too) and you've got so much to live for.

The other day I actually caught myself uttering I have nothing to live for. Which isnt true ofcourse, but a fucking desperado thing to say damn. Makes me wonder...

I just don't want to be on methadone forever. Honestly. I don't want to become one with the opiate. I just want to not go crazy and live with some standard of lving that isnt hustling and copping dope. Sigh.. I really fucked myself this time haha.

One thing about Canada that is nice I think though is that if I walk into an emergency room in Toronto, atleast at the hospital I went to, they give you a shot of suboxone in the arm for free just to get you on your merry way! Come on thats cool lol! Doc Im jonesing here!! Help me out!!

a lot of people around me in my clinic when i was on MMT had really sub-par living habits in general. I believe this would be the cause of poor dental / health in general. And let's face it, being on the run for your next fix is a quick way to age fast! Best of luck Draigan, MMT is a split sided sword , but at this point I think you should be worrying only about your immediate health and well being, let the thought of getting off of methadone come later when your head is in a better place and you have the appropriate support you need. I've been on MMT and suboxen also so if you need some more info feel free to pm.

Go for it! I am sorry I didn't realize you were from Canada.. what a shame i guess concerning suboxone?, it makes me so happy that profit hungry America can lead to something good= availability! (suboxone)

Go for it! I do see your posts here and there all the time you are such a hopeful person and as many times as you may end up doing "the wrong thing" for yourself, your always thinking of ways to do the right thing. I know you want peace health and happyness in the long run, so take the first step =)

And, not me, but there are TONS of people here that have good experience with MMT- harm reduction, safety, tapering, maintence... so how lucky is that! =) Best of luck. I hope you treat yourself with the respect and care you deserve! you have everything to live for, and live HEALTHILY for <3

I'm on Subs and not really experienced with MMT, but maintenance seems like a good option - most people seem to feel that the positives far outweigh the negatives.:)

I mainly have experience with this -
Oh and one more thing! Any of you had opiate related psychosis? I never heard of people talking about this, but I definitely get crazy off opiates sometimes. I def hallucinate a lot and hear voices. I see cats everywhere. When I try getting off opiates I have serious mental breakdowns and get scared as fuck. You guys experience that to?
You're the first person I know of that experiences this, other than myself - doctors think I'm lying. :/

About twelve hours into opiate w/d, I get absolutely delirious. I have visual and auditory hallucinations. Memory's a bit hazy on specifics, but my best friend always stayed with me when I w/d, but once I was sick at my parents' house since he was in the hospital. I woke up and had a whole conversation with him and then like started yelling, begging him to go cop for me. Not a good feeling. :/ That plus the terrible muscle spasms made it sooo much harder to make it through w/d.

I've yet to find any non-opiod that eliminates the delirium, but benzos seems to help bring me back to reality a bit, and make sleep easier. Of course, 'done should make it a non-issue. :) When I switched from H and Dilaudid to Subs, I had a bit of trouble sleeping but none of the normal craziness.

Also, are you on any medication for Bipolar Disorder? Two of my opiate-using, Bipolar friends use Lamotrigine and both said it helped with the sudden impulse cravings and the depression.

Best of luck! <3

your health will deteriorate much faster if you keep using dope rather than getting on methadone. If you can't quit doing dope (which most people can't) than the safest alternative is to go to methadone.

I've been following your posts for some time now, Draigan, and I definitely think that MMT is the way for you to go. If for no other reason than you could put the time you would spend into scoring your daily dose to much better use. It sounds like getting enough money together on a daily basis takes alot of effort and creativity on your part. If you can just get that time consuming BS out of your life for now along with the inevitable dope sickness etc., you could focus on getting your life together. Getting a job, your own place and maybe a plan together for this period of your life could go a long, long way to help restore some peace of mind. You could then go on from there and taper off when you feel ready, under more stable circumstances.

it sounds like it would be perfect for you actually. it doesnt make you look sickly, it doesnt sicken you in the long run.. it can be taken lifelong for those who need it for that length of time. it doesnt make your teeth fall out.. though i do find i crave alot of sugary foods alot, (being on it myself currently((also in canada)). that could just be me though hehe. just brush your teeth and floss and whatnot as you should anyway and you'll be fine.
while your on it, you will have more control and structure in your life in which you will then be able to fix things and get things straightened out and stuff.

in 6 months you may feel fine and set to come off at which point you can taper for as long or short as you want dependent on what your comfortable with. you may find you want to stay on longer even, depending on how things are going for you.

i started on it 4 years ago without any real plan on when to come off or anything and i'm still on. my life is all sorted and normal now and really i could come off anytime.. i just kinda feel satisfied with the way things are going so i just keep on with it for now. ..once you get full carries and only have to go once a week to the clinic, its a breeze.

also be honest and open with the docs. and try to trust them hehe. they can also get you help with your bi polar or other issues you have as well. they can fill any other prescriptions you need so you dont need to see multiple doctors, at multiple places and different times. convenient.

i'd say go for it.. though good luck in which ever route you take :)

Last edited:
Actually you can get suboxone in canada :) . It is just really rare because it's new and not many doctors have a license to prescribe it i don't think. I don't think you can even get it in certain provinces. You also have to pick it up everyday like you would with methadone which kinda defeats the purpose of being on suboxone in the first place :! .

Also since it's new and expensive it may not be covered under provincial drug plans. In fact id be willing to bet that it's not. So between the high cost of subs and the fact that you have to pick it up everyday at the pharmacy like methadone i would go with methadone. Atleast methadone is covered so you won't even have to pay for it.

Methadone Maintenance thread

Hey whats up bluelighters!? After searching for some type of methadone maintenance thread, I couldn't find one, and could only find methadone vs. suboxone type of threads.. So here we go...

I Have been abusing opiates since I was 16 years old.. Im currently 23. Started out just like everyone here probably with popping 2-3 lortab 10's everyonce in a while and getting really high. Then when I was 19, My high school sweetheart who I was engaged to cheated on me with my best friend, and left me. In turn, I needed something to self medicate and take the pain away, And I knew cocaine or meth wouldn't really do anything to help me with that. So after looking for only around 2 weeks, I was working at a gas station at the time and met a couple guys that would come into my store and always buy blunt sticks. I knew all too well what was up when I looked into their eyes (pinpoint pupils, glassy) and Got a hook up for 80MG OC's for only 30-40 bucks. Everything went downhill and eventually I graduated to black tar heroin.

Now 1 week ago, I got enrolled at the MMT clinic. The clinic is only a 15 minute drive from my house, and there was absolutely no waiting list. It only took me 3 hours to get enrolled and have my first dose. I got up to 45MG's today and will be able to go up to 50MG's tomorrow... Im starting to feel stabilized on the methadone, and I figure ill be completely comfortable either tomorrow off 50MG's or somewere around 60MG's... I also had my first counseling session today, But it wasn't really a counseling session, all the lady wanted to know was what my past drug use was like.. I have to go to the clinic every single day to get my dose, Besides on saturdays I get my dose for saturday, plus I have to take a lock box in for them to give me my take home dose for sunday because they are closed on sundays... So what about you guys? Who else is on methadone maintenance? What MG dose are you guys on? How far of a drive do you have to go each morning? Was there a waiting list? Just curious about details on were you guys are from! Thanks

There is a methadone thread in DC. I'm on a methadone taper right now. It has been 15days since I last did H. Anyways go check that thread out in DC.