• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Meth and the Heart

love_child

Bluelighter
So I was just wondering if anyone has ever developed any heart issues or if anyone worries about the negative side effects on your heart due to stimulant use primarily methamphetamine use.

That is literally the only thing that scares the hell out of me and especially when my hearts beating through my chest for days when I binge. I know alot of it is anxiety and paranoia but it must have quite a harsh impact on the organ.

Yeah, meth usage isn't the same as doing cardio. Sometimes it's good to get the heart pumping and other times not so much. Especially for days in a row.

I'm pretty sure excessive meth use is terrible for your heart. Same with coke and crack. Our hearts aren't supposed to beat like that for longer than it takes us to work out or jog. The drug affecting heart rate is one thing and then the anxiety and paranoia on top is even worse.

If nothing else we aren't going to live as long. Like smokers and others that wear out their hearts too soon. We have only so many beats.

The Apple Watch “High Heart Activity Alerts” where, are fascinating to me. My watch knows somethings up because my hearts beating at 160 / Minute but I’m not physically active.

Amphetamines greatly increase bloodflow to the heart without restricting the bloodflow passageways. Therefor, cocaine is vastly more dangerous to the user than amphetamines in the regard of cardio health because cocaine--like amphetamines--increases bloodflow throughout the body AND restricts the heart's narrow channels that allow bloodflow to pass through like usual. Amphetamines do not restrict the heart passageways as cocaine does.

However... many people have died from methamphetamine overdoses. This key difference between amphetamines/cocaine is not to be overly relied on. Its obvious when "I probably shouldn't stay up for 8 more days on 71 meth crack pipe hits" is actively present lol. Just never forget that meth can kill you.. too many corpses out there from those who have forgotten. There is a supreme difference between ordinary meth intake and the ones who have died from amphetamine overdoses. How high does one need to get on stimulants? What does it do for you to abuse what already has a built in ceiling effect? Everyone loses their mind long before their heart gives in from this substance in particular. That is even worse than dying tbh..

Yes. And while amphetamines aren't as damaging to the heart as cocaine in general, they can still be bad for your heart.

Its obvious when "I probably shouldn't stay up for 8 more days on 71 meth crack pipe hits" is actively present lol.
For me, by the second night of being awake, all of the initial pleasure is gone. That’s when it’s time to stop.

This is why a very rarely smoke. The pipe is fiendish and really invented so people keep buying. Insufflation allows us to start the comedown process nicely.

"Long-term methamphetamine users appear to be most at risk of cardiovascular damage, such as premature, accelerated coronary artery disease. As such, methamphetamine toxicity is more likely to have a fatal outcome with chronic use."

"Given their high levels of polydrug use, methamphetamine users should also be made aware of the increased risk of adverse cardiovascular effects when methamphetamine is used with other drugs, particularly other psychostimulant drugs. Because of the individual variation in sensitivity to methamphetamine’s cardiotoxic properties, treating methamphetamine toxicity should be based on the symptom presentation rather than the reported dose administered."

"Long-term methamphetamine users appear to be most at risk of cardiovascular damage, such as premature, accelerated coronary artery disease. As such, methamphetamine toxicity is more likely to have a fatal outcome with chronic use."

"Given their high levels of polydrug use, methamphetamine users should also be made aware of the increased risk of adverse cardiovascular effects when methamphetamine is used with other drugs, particularly other psychostimulant drugs. Because of the individual variation in sensitivity to methamphetamine’s cardiotoxic properties, treating methamphetamine toxicity should be based on the symptom presentation rather than the reported dose administered."

Psychostimulant drugs?

This kind of has me wondering if pharmaceutical amphetamines then such as adderall/ritalin/focalin (sp?), and etcetera are guilty of producing the same negative health effects as methamphetamine can--just at a slower and lesser rate in cases of ritalin abuse for instance. Thx for inputs.

So I was just wondering if anyone has ever developed any heart issues or if anyone worries about the negative side effects on your heart due to stimulant use primarily methamphetamine use.

That is literally the only thing that scares the hell out of me and especially when my hearts beating through my chest for days when I binge. I know alot of it is anxiety and paranoia but it must have quite a harsh impact on the organ.
Yeah, i’ve had multiple small heart attacks from meth use, and it also caused me to develop chronic hypertension at 26. Have to take daily meds now

Psychostimulant drugs?

This kind of has me wondering if pharmaceutical amphetamines then such as adderall/ritalin/focalin (sp?), and etcetera are guilty of producing the same negative health effects as methamphetamine can--just at a slower and lesser rate in cases of ritalin abuse for instance. Thx for inputs.
Yes. They are known long term side effect risks

I believe it’s the levo isomer or other dirty compounds, or just dosing too high.

People complain about certain generic brands of Adderall, some crap brands somehow aren’t smooth and feel like it’s more levoamphetamine. Maybe with meth, even 5% Levo causes massive side effects. If it was clean pure Dextro then a lot of the dangers would disappear.

Wow it amazes me at the lack of research of phetamines and the long term use , or even short term high dose usage has on the entire circulatory system .
The risk and the comparison to Caine is not a fair comparison inits effects on the body. yes theres a massive amount of od on Caine because of rapid heart beat leading to heart failure . but theres man more sever effects of phet use and hog one man never experience heart failure while using or even heart beating was to fast, theres the slow unseen effects that for many life long lasting even after use. meth is a constrictor . it shrinks the passage was smaller and smaller restricting blood flow afterwards. yes it gets your heart pumping and flowing at first but the overall effect is vast constriction. even its linked to long term shrinking of the genitals as blood vessels decrease in sioye smaller and smaller and less and less blood flowing thru and to. also part of understanding the quick pace of what appears to others a aging must faster. thats apart of the lack of blood flow to all the organs and skin being the most abundant. it causes well shrinkage. and as Moore water is robbed from the cells the body like those of the elderly actually grow smaller inside. the cells deteriorate causing aging to speed up. As far as the heart the heart and the arteries feeding the normal flow are restricted , and so not as much blood is ankle to pass thru and reach to all extremities. causing nearopothy in the feet and hands ect..

and I won't continue but how it effects the mind and particulory the dopamine - neuron pathways his debilitated causing less focus and thoughts to jump . as the bridges loose connections from to much dopamine . also even some cognitive skills like speech are effected as thought process doesn't match up with speech factions. at first it might simply be like those with add claim more thoughts then time to speak and make them understandable. but long term , as not rewires the brain from to much dopamine and now far to many bridges between the neurons damaged, sometimes speech becomes stutters, or uncontrobale body twitching or speech flow. also Alzheimers is linked to long term use as it destroys the links between the neurons from dopamine destruction, followed bz none at all and its normal release ..

this case go one and on for pages.. even vitamin c is so important to take while using and amphetamines as its directly linked to destroying its functions in the body, which are mostly using caslcium in out body for benefits. without absorbed acid calcium just becomes a unusable mineral that actually as it builds causes bone weakening, severe osteoporosis , and brittle bones. another part of aging as teeth fall out and calcium is unable to be used anzlobnger , unless countered with large doses of c.

besides knowing personally some who have now at earls age been diagnosed with severe heart issues mostly unrepairable, theres the endless research and post users. many countries will not even prescribe any amphetamines for add or attention issues as theres so many better drugs that are prescribed with less addiction, less side effects, and focus on the real issue and that cognitive - issues . nootropics being much greater value and focus on building more and stronger pathways without even stimulating the nervous system of vasoconstriction.

I wonder how safe/unsafe it is to take a beta blocker together with an amphetamine. I knew a lady who got a150mg dexamphetamine daily script from her shrink for adult ADHD, and she got propranolol together with that to protect her heart. But as this dose of d-amph is just excessive, I don't trust the other recommendations of said Dr. as well. But I could see use for specially something like propranolol, or then carvedilol (if I remember it correctly, the latter is supposed to only antagonize a subgroup of beta receptors and leave others, which cause vasodilation around the heart, alone).

I wonder how safe/unsafe it is to take a beta blocker together with an amphetamine. I knew a lady who got a150mg dexamphetamine daily script from her shrink for adult ADHD, and she got propranolol together with that to protect her heart. But as this dose of d-amph is just excessive, I don't trust the other recommendations of said Dr. as well. But I could see use for specially something like propranolol, or then carvedilol (if I remember it correctly, the latter is supposed to only antagonize a subgroup of beta receptors and leave others, which cause vasodilation around the heart, alone).
Is Losartan a beta blocker? I don’t think it is.. but i’ve been taking it for years and don’t stop when i use meff.. not dead yet 🥹

Is Losartan a beta blocker? I don’t think it is.. but i’ve been taking it for years and don’t stop when i use meff.. not dead yet 🥹
No, it's an angiotensin receptor blocker, another group of meds against high blood pressure. Beta blockers are quite unique in that they actually lower the pulse instead of pressure by blocking adrenaline from activating beta receptors.

Methamphetamine explicitly activates the sympathetic nervous system through release of central and peripheral norepinephrine.

So it's basically like getting a shot of adrenaline over and over and over.

Heart pounding in your chest while you're on a binge is not from anxiety. It's from methamphetamine itself and some metabolites of methamphetamine.

Methamphetamine also can damage the heart from vasoconstriction. And it seems that methamphetamine itself is directly cardiotoxic to heart cells.

Just wanted to give you some real information and let you make that choice.

Amphetamines greatly increase bloodflow to the heart without restricting the bloodflow passageways. Therefor, cocaine is vastly more dangerous to the user than amphetamines in the regard of cardio health because cocaine--like amphetamines--increases bloodflow throughout the body AND restricts the heart's narrow channels that allow bloodflow to pass through like usual. Amphetamines do not restrict the heart passageways as cocaine does.

However... many people have died from methamphetamine overdoses. This key difference between amphetamines/cocaine is not to be overly relied on. Its obvious when "I probably shouldn't stay up for 8 more days on 71 meth crack pipe hits" is actively present lol. Just never forget that meth can kill you.. too many corpses out there from those who have forgotten. There is a supreme difference between ordinary meth intake and the ones who have died from amphetamine overdoses. How high does one need to get on stimulants? What does it do for you to abuse what already has a built in ceiling effect? Everyone loses their mind long before their heart gives in from this substance in particular. That is even worse than dying tbh..
This is incorrect, methamphetamine is a vasoconstrictor, high doses of methamphetamine constrict cardiac blood vessels and also the aorta.

Not to mention the high blood pressure effects of methamphetamine are much worse than cocaine because they're higher and they last longer.

That's the same as getting 90 mg of Vyvanse and 60 mg of Adderall. Which does get prescribed to people.
Beta blockers are used during amphetamine overdose so I'm pretty sure they're safe to use during amphetamine use.