• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mescaline - The Beginner Psych?

The discrimination I was talking about is from the fed/states. The Native American Church is pretty open.

Thats good to hear, I guess I just would understand if they were wary you know? Is Peyote Way an off shoot of the NAC?

The Feds/states or at least some of them, are becoming at the least marginally better, I know in the past year or so the Uniao do Vegetal and another ayahuasca based christian church won court cases allowing them to use ayahuasca. I am pretty sure that the decision for the requirements for who can join or partake is left up to the church, not the local feds, discrimination could be considered infringement on your 1st amendment rights

Mescaline is indeed a rare compound, at least in a pure salt form. I suppose anyone could do a cacti extraction. It is known to cause extreme nausea even when used pure.
Mescaline is among the most "hard core" of all psychedelic experiences. Mesoamerican peyote healing practices are right up there with shamanic ayahuasca, psilocybe mushrooms, and yopo rituals(which involve DMT and related alkaloids), and the use of soma mushrooms(muscarine & related alkaloids) described in the rig-vedas, IMHO.
The influence these(and other) compounds have had on human spiritual growth is just amazing :D

Mescaline is not a toy, and it is not a 'beginner psyhedelic'. Lsd & the 2c-* family may be the way to go.

Basically the moral of my story - tryptamines are for grown ups. ;)

It is on my 'to do' list however I am in no rush. Our paths' will cross when the time is right :)

Its powerful, but I have never found it terrifying. After the initial unease passes and you purify yourself by throwing up (An essential part of the experience in my opinion, rather than something to be avoided), its really pretty benevolent. Its calm yet powerful yet stimulating.

Real Peyote is different from San Pedro. Its stronger, deeper...the visions are more intense while San Pedro gives more body load.

Its really my favorite medicine, but I think that people are more likely to have a bad trip on acid or shrooms and definitely DMT or Ayahuasca compared to Peyote. The only down side is the passing nausea and discomfort at the beginning, but getting past that is exactly what makes the following bliss more profound.

Its kind of like penance, reconciliation or maybe stations of the cross in Christian mythology. Its redemption and rebirth. Its better than therapy or counseling and a lot more enjoyable.

I don't know about the whole "most hardcore" claim, it is definitely powerful, especially when doses get up into 1 gram + ranges. That being said, I think DMT, mushrooms or acid are much more anxiety producing whereas even on pretty big doses mescaline never made me feel like I had lost control, it was a gentle prodding if that makes sense.

DMT on the other hand seems to be outright terrifying sometimes. I think a 2C-x (particularly 2C-I) might be a better beginner psychedelic, but if mescaline is available I think it is just as good of an option.

Tryptamines are for grown ups? huh?

I always thought the whole Soma=Amanita Muscaria arguement was just a theory. I read several translations of the parts of the Rig Vedas and they were never even specific about mushrooms. Which translation did you read delta 9? or where did you hear that? I am just really interested in it because I am a religion/anthropology nerd :)

I get what you are saying but seriously.....

That would be an interesting conversation.

"Hey man you ever do a psychedelic?"

"Nah, are they cool?"

"Yah man a good place to start is 4-aco-dmt"

"WTF is that?"

HAHAHA Offering alphabet soup to someone unexperienced with psychs. My friend used to just collectively call all the RC's The digits.
What is a problem with saying "Dude, start with acetylated psilocin. And it is legal"? I think anybody aware of psilocin.

Its powerful, but I have never found it terrifying. After the initial unease passes and you purify yourself by throwing up (An essential part of the experience in my opinion, rather than something to be avoided), its really pretty benevolent. Its calm yet powerful yet stimulating.

Real Peyote is different from San Pedro. Its stronger, deeper...the visions are more intense while San Pedro gives more body load.

Its really my favorite medicine, but I think that people are more likely to have a bad trip on acid or shrooms and definitely DMT or Ayahuasca compared to Peyote. The only down side is the passing nausea and discomfort at the beginning, but getting past that is exactly what makes the following bliss more profound.

Its kind of like penance, reconciliation or maybe stations of the cross in Christian mythology. Its redemption and rebirth. Its better than therapy or counseling and a lot more enjoyable.

I'm well aware of the differences between peyote, san pedro, peruvian torce, and other members of the family cactaceae. However, the phenethylamine alkaloids(mescaline, etc.) in these cacti are the reason they are used in ritualistic and ceremonial ways, and are the cause of the healing and remedial effects, whether the individuals using them know it or not.

Oh and btw the cross is a pagan symbol for the sun. It has little to do with christianity. ;)

I dont think I said anything about the native cross having anything to do with Christianity. I was making a parallel between how native tribes use peyote and the concept of reconciliation.

However, the Native American Church combines elements of Christianity and Indigenous religions.

Also, the cross generally is symbolic of the 4 directions. There may be some tribes who see it as a metaphor for the sun.

Mescaline is powerful, but not in a terrifying way. I think its a good beginner psyche because its benign and unlikely to make you freak out in a bad way.....maybe some initial discomfort but it passes leaving wonderful euphoria and insight.

However, the Native American Church combines elements of Christianity and Indigenous religions.
Yes, and this is ALL paganism. But let's not spam this thread.
Mescaline is powerful, but not in a terrifying way. I think its a good beginner psyche because its benign and unlikely to make you freak out in a bad way.....maybe some initial discomfort but it passes leaving wonderful euphoria and insight.
Mescaline can be VERY scary(as all drugs can be), if one is not mentally, physically, and spiritually prepared for the experience.
I stand by my original statement. Mescaline is not a 'beginner' psychedelic, it is one of the most advanced and sophisticated. I have been using psychedelics for 7 years and I don't consider myself ready for a true mescaline experience.

I like you. You have shared a lot of good information and I like your opinions on a lot of different things.

However, as someone who has been tripping for 17 years and has actually been using peyote and mescaline religiously since I was 13 years old, I think that maybe you should actually try peyote or mescaline before being so sure of your opinion.

For many tribes peyote use was part of your coming of age. Women of child baring years were not always permitted to use it, but it was considered a sacred teacher for everyone.....not just for people who were the shamans apprentice or had some special spiritual status or 'earned' the right to use it.

There are some other plants used by medicine men and other practitioners which were only used by the shamans and not indiscriminately given out, but peyote was not one of them. An example of one of those medicines would be datura and Amanita.

Peyote was something the whole community would partake in. It was jut part of normal civilian life. It was seen as important and perhaps even necessary for a persons development from a fairly early age.

Having used both peyote and mescaline extensively, I can assure you that it does not have the tendency to frighten people like DMT does.

2CB is perhaps even mellower, but its barely even psychedelic. 2CI doesnt really do it for me. I prefer acid.

I think peyote is easier for a newbie to handle than LSD, but they are comparable.

But you see, I live in a crowded major city in America, in a state far from those in which peyote is grown(generally, of course. I know anyone can grow it anywhere really). I have never had access to it(that I know of), although I've spent little time looking, and it is not part of civilian life here. It's use is frowned upon by my society. My association with it is zero, and my knowledge of it's use in modern times is that of ignorance(though I am familiar with it's chemistry and pharmacology).
I'm familiar with theareputic tryptamine use by various ancient cultures, however you cannot ignore the fact that things are simply not the way they used to be.

I suppose until I actually try mescaline or cacti(as I have not fully prepared myself), I have no personal firt hand opinions...but I've also given none. I've only stated that I believe that many species of indole containing plants/fungi and the active compounds in them are not what I consider 'beginner' psychedelics. 4-HO-DMT and 4-ACO-DMT are exceptions, as well as a few others.

I still firmly believe that LSD or the substituted phenethylamines are much better suited to a first timer. Although DO* compounds would not be so well, the duration may be too long.

Thank you for your kind words :)

Last edited:
@ Delta 9:

If you have been experimenting with psychedelics for 7+ years, there is nothing here you will not be able to handle.

It is incredibly gentle. Many people absolutely shit a brick when I say the word mescaline and there is good reason for that - because of the rarity of the compound, almost everyone who thinks they have done it has just done acid or a research chemical.

I am 100% positive that the potential exists for a bad trip but the number one thing that causes panic in a person new to psychedelics is the "confused" thinking. This loss of control leads to panic. On mescaline, you do not experience 1/10th of the confused thought processes that you do on mushrooms - IME, of course.

Yes, it is indeed very rare in it's pure form. If I ever aquire some, I will be sure to have a sample sent for purity testing. However, as I said, I have no sources for it to begin with, nor am I in any hurry to try it.

I can't comment on mescaline vs mushrooms, for two reasons.
Firstly, you're attenpting to compare phenethylamines and tryptamines. Not that it's wrong or anything, I just don't really like to do it. Apples to Oranges I say. (note - this is a very general statement, and of course there are similarities between certain phen/tryps.). I am in no way trying to make a blanket statement here, it is simply that I don't like to compare the two.
Second, I've not tried mescaline, and have read few TRs(they bore me tbh :\)

JBrandon is right.

A big part of what gives people a bad trip is the feeling of losing control....control of your mind, control of your perception or control of your bodily processes (breathing, heart rate, ect).

On mescaline I have never felt so in control. My perception is sharper. I feel like I am keenly aware of everything around me, especially when I am outdoors. I feel highly creative, even days later. It has mood lifting qualities that some psychedelics dont have. I am sure that its possible to have bad visions if you are in a bad state of mind or not comfortable in your surroundings, but the mood elevation provides a degree of protection against going to dark places....How many people have a "bad trip" on MDMA? Not many, and its the same with Mescaline only you see visions.

I think a novice would be more likely to freak out from marijuana than from Mescaline. There is nothing in there that an experienced psychonaut cant handle.

And even though its not real mescaline, the TMA or whatever they used to put in 'microdots' was actually pretty nice....better than acid, but didnt really produce visions like mescaline.

There is nothing in there that an experienced psychonaut cant handle.
You seem to misunderstand. I am not scared of 'losing my mind', or anything of the sort. I'm quite familiar with psychedelics and can take care of myself just fine :)
I have a lot of respect for mescaline though, and I only wish my first(and most meaningful) mescaline experience to be a well planned out event. My mental and spiritual status must be appropriate. The Set & Setting must be in order as well. This is not the case at the current time.
.How many people have a "bad trip" on MDMA? Not many
Not really a fair comparison. MDMA dose not agonize 5ht receptors anywhere near to the degree mescaline does.

Also let us not forget the subjectivity of psychedelic drug use. What's a ideal compound for me may be the worst for you.

I don't know about the whole "most hardcore" claim, it is definitely powerful, especially when doses get up into 1 gram + ranges. That being said, I think DMT, mushrooms or acid are much more anxiety producing whereas even on pretty big doses mescaline never made me feel like I had lost control, it was a gentle prodding if that makes sense.

DMT on the other hand seems to be outright terrifying sometimes. I think a 2C-x (particularly 2C-I) might be a better beginner psychedelic, but if mescaline is available I think it is just as good of an option.

Tryptamines are for grown ups? huh?

I always thought the whole Soma=Amanita Muscaria arguement was just a theory. I read several translations of the parts of the Rig Vedas and they were never even specific about mushrooms. Which translation did you read delta 9? or where did you hear that? I am just really interested in it because I am a religion/anthropology nerd :)
I'm sorry I didn't see your post before. I'll be honest I was caught up in my conversation with Sentience.
I don't know about the whole "most hardcore" claim, it is definitely powerful, especially when doses get up into 1 gram + ranges.
I just have a tendency to think ancient/shamanic cacti rituals when I see "mescaline", even when discussing pure compounds*. And I definitely consider these ceremonies "hardcore" when experienced by someone unfamiliar with the cultures and practices.

Well, I don't know which translation it was, however I believe some 100+ pages are devoted to praises of a plant called "soma". It is described as being "rootless", "leafless", "blossomless", and "from the mountains", which sounds like a mushroom to me. ;)
I'm sorry but that's really all I know. Look into R. Gordon Wasson's work on the subject.
I may be mistaken however, but amanitas were still used in Siberia, India, and by Native Americans as well.

*(I apologize to everyone btw cause this little habit of mine seems to have caused some confusion).

What about ayahausca? definitely ancient rituals that are "hardcore", but is "unfamiliar" the same as "hardcore"? I consider an oral DMT trip to be much more intense and potentially terrifying than mescaline, but maybe thats just how I react to tryptamines, although I don't think I am unique in that sense.

The Rig Vedas and many other hindu texts are often vague and ambiguous, thats kind of the point, for instance, the idea of 330 million gods and only 1 god, or a thousand petal lotus without a single petal. This type of seemingly contradictory imagery or description is a part of how such texts deal with the "nirguna" nature of God, that which is incomprehensible and without form. My point is that for such an esoteric text, such descriptions are "reading into it" a bit much. I definitely think they were taking a psychedelic compound, or at the least an endogenous state, yet to me, the evidence for Amanita mushrooms is speculative at best.

But, back to the mescaline question...Having the best trip with the best settings is important, but certain compounds are in my experience, more or less likely to produce anxiety or discomfort, fear or all of the above. Mescaline is not one of these compounds. Is it possible? most definitely, but I think considerably less than with DMT, LSD or mushrooms. Just speaking from my experience though, which seems to be pretty common amongst people who have done mescaline as well as other psychedelics.

I agree entirely mr.mackey. There are good reasons to respect Mescaline as something very special, but fear of this medicine is completely unwarranted.....and with all due respect, I have actually done real peyote and all other forms of mescaline, and I say that the body load in some ways resembles a mild dose of MDMA maybe with a little LSD thrown in there....but its more of a higher vibration rather than touchy feely like MDMA can be.

Comments like...."Mescaline can be VERY scary" and "Mescaline is among the most "hard core" of all psychedelic experiences.".....they seem a little silly to me. If you actually tried peyote you would discover like I have that its about as terrifying as a picnic by the river on a warm summers day....Initially you might get a little discomfort, a little nervousness with the stimulant effects if you are unfamiliar with them, you might get a little bit of nausea....This is pretty short lived and when you purge all those feelings immediately leave you...What you are left with is such a wonderful feeling. I imagine its possible to have a bad trip but I never have had one....

Now Ayahuasca IS what I would consider "hardcore". That stuff is no joke. Its not a gentle teacher like mescaline. Its a lot longer lasting than smokable DMT. When you take Ayahuasca you better be committed to the experience because you are engulfed by it. When you take Ayahuascsa your whole reality comes apart, or you experience multiple worlds and dimensions and you MUST have moral strength or you can end up in some very dark places. Ayahuasca is about as hardcore as I have ever experienced.

Compared to Ayahuasca, mescaline is about as frightening as walking through the park in a safe neighborhood. That isnt to say it isnt profound....You can gain wonderful insights. You get the empathy of MDMA only its more cerebral and less about passion. Mesacline is all about pure insight but it also feels euphoric.

Mescaline doesnt compromise your mental state....it enhances it. It doesnt leave you too 'fucked up' to make rational decisions...rather, it think that the experience can help you tap into your inner wisdom and help you make the best decisions possible. People on mescaline are of sound body and mind...Not something I can say about mushrooms, and even LSD can go either way.

Mescaline should be respected but not because its especially scary or dangerous for a psychedelic....that combined with it not being addictive or even very habit forming, I would say that its one of the better choices for an intro to psychedelics if not THE best intro.

how does amt compare to mescaline or lsd?

AMT is good stuff....If its the same stuff I think it is....what they used to put in microdots back in the late 90s.....the body load feels a bit like E but it also feels a bit like acid...in that regard I can see how it could be compared to mescaline....but real peyote is a lot more profound. The visions are a lot more clear with peyote. You actually see dreams like you are seeing them with your third eye....this is a little less with pedro or with extracted mescaline that isnt full spectrum, but I usually have not gotten the full on visionary experience with AMT that I get with peyote.

AMT is very enjoyable though. I think its a good alternative to candy flipping.

mr.mackey - The Rig Vedas are indeed vague and ambiguous, let us not discuss them further. I only posted what I had read in maybe 2 or 3 books, never the Rig Vedas themselves. Perhaps it was a silly thing to post. My apologies.

Sentience - You seem to still not understand, and I just don't know any other way to say what I've been trying to say this whole time. I am NOT scared of mescaline or what it may do it my body/mind. I simply wish my body and mind to be in OPTIMAL condition when I take this substance. Setting and Set after all.
I am very glad I have someone who has tried this drug to talk to, as it seems I have much to learn. I would like to thank you for your kindness and knowledge :)

Regarding ayahuasca, yes this is indeed a serious ritual and should be treated as such, and so should cacti rtiuals. I have never participated in such rituals, and I am not associated with the cultures that use them today. Nor has an invitation to such a ritual been presented to me.
I have used DMT several times, and in combination with Harmala alkaloids(MAOIs)several times, but I have never had an authentic ayahuasca experience.
What about ayahausca? definitely ancient rituals that are "hardcore", but is "unfamiliar" the same as "hardcore"?
Yes, if you yanked some 'regular Joe' off the of street and placed him in the amazon rainforest in front of a bunch of shamans and he consumes ayahuasca, it will definitely be "hardcore". He will be forced to examine his soul and receive much stimuli from the consciousness of the plants, when just and hour ago he was in his office in America doing paperwork.
THAT is someone who is "unfamiliar" with ayahuasca.
If that person were to have made a conscious decision to take ayahuasa, by mentally preparing himself, he not would not be "unfamiliar".
I consider an oral DMT trip to be much more intense and potentially terrifying than mescaline
This is 'pharmahuasca' not 'ayahuasca' however.

Now, my second point. Comparing phenthylamine alkaloids to tryptamine alkaloids is difficult. They are chemically different and are treated as such by the human body. Why has this still not been acknowledged? I think it is very relevant and should be considered in the future, as what we though we knew about how psychedelics work in the body may not be the case(there is a thread in ADD regarding this)

...I have little else to say really(I'm quite exhausted). Since I've not actually tried this compound perhaps it was wrong of me to intrude into this thread in the first place. I will kindly show myself out.* :)
Thank you both.

*please don't misunderstand btw , I don't feel as though I'm not wanted or that I'm being "bullied" or anything, in fact I feel the opposite. I just haven't tried mescaline so I have no valid opinion...

Last edited: