• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [Mescaline Cactus Subthread] San Pedro

oh yeah, i hate to be lazy about it, but what is a good way of "cooking" the san pedro... considering i've never done this before, what tips can you give me so that i don't fuck it up... should i use a cooking thermometer thing to make sure i'm not heating it too high? stuff like that... honestly, i'd like to munch on it, but apparently if you even try to chew it so that it absorbs through the mouth, it would take too long and something or other... i forgot, really really stoned right now...

fine....:X i was hoping for a simple ass way, but apparently erowid has a fairly simple methanol extraction so :p

Cacti grow quite slowly... I'm not sure how big they're supposed to be but I'm pretty sure they start slow from seed.

Yup, they grow über slowly as Xoroth mentioned. You've got years ahead of you before they're big enough to munch on.

^lol, years and years to go there. Gee, I bet you thought they be ready for the weekend?! ;)

San Pedro is a fast growing cactus and he does not have years ahead of him, they are supposed to take under a year, I think you guys are confused with Peyote.

Nah, pedros still grow fairly slowly IMO. One pedro I got a year ago has barely grown a few inches.

Some can grow a foot or two a year though.

Oh fair enough - was just going on what I'd read so I concede your experience. Still, find it surprising they're growing so slowly

Yea i read somewhere that itl take about 3 years for about a foot, but after a while itl grow about a foot a year, san pedro are unfortunately fairly slow growers. Also its advised to cut your san pedro to leave at least a foot or it will hinder its growth significantly.

Hope this helps and g/l growin your cacti :)
GileS

hmmm...

I would get 8-12 inch's growth on san pedros each year, a little less from peruvians. Key is loose airy soil. What always helped my growth was big containers and lava rocks. I would smash up the lava rocks [people use them for BBQ grills, they are real porous and airy] and mix in a shit load into the soil. Soil would be high grade potting soil, a few bags of cactus soil, a lot of perlite, compost [anaerobic I believe], lava rocks and worm castings for the top 2 inchs. Would let the rain, water them except in summers where I would do compost teas. Avoiding rain used to start to aggravate me, it started to be more of a hassle than it was worth after a few years. Fun to grow though...

They turned into monsters. Easy to grow.

peace.
seedless

whoops just looked at your pics, always wanted to grow from seed. Never got around to it though...

Once established they grow fairly quickly. Growing from seed like you have, you've got a few years ahead.

If you're looking for something here and now, buy some cuttings or whole plant. growing from seed is a lengthy affair

Thanks guys, shit i had no idea growing from seed was so long.

Ive got alot of experience growing shit from seed.

ive grown weed from seed san pedro, mimosa hostilus and even atropa belladonna ( fuck lol) . I know a good cheap source for peyote seeds, how do you grade the difficulty of peyote compared to pedro.

thanks for the speedy answers.

Peyote is a million times more difficult. If you can wait 5-20(!) years for one to grow, then go for it!

San Pedro is "fast" growing relative to other cacti... so not fast at all compared to what most people expect.

If you want to invest in a cactus that will grow at a ridiculous rate, then look around for a reputable grower that has KK242 strains of the Peruvian Torch. There are some strains that grow even quicker.

San Pedro is one of the fastest growing cacti. That said, it can take several weeks for first growth after planting a cutting, and if grown in good conditions one meter a year is considered a pretty solid rate of growth once it starts growing. 3 months isn't long enough to say for sure if anything is wrong with the cactus based on growth rate. If it doesn't gain a noticeable amount of mass in a full season, then maybe it's time to worry.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but trichocereus cacti mostly grow in the warm months and rest in the cold months, right? If it's three months old that means you planted it in January - it hasn't even had a growing season yet.

Growing something like weed is rather different - it's a water-loving, rapid growth plant, that's how it earned the nickname 'weed' after all - it grows like one ;) Cacti evolved to tough out those harsh dry seasons in desert climates, not to grow rapidly and die rapidly.

Peyote is one of the most difficult plants to grow. It also takes several times longer. Plus, in the US at least, the plant itself is explicitly scheduled in addition to the mescaline it produces, so it's far "more illegal" in that sense than growing peruvian torch or san pedro.