• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Meperidine - demerol/pethidine.

Where Wolf?

Bluelighter
I've used the search engine, but demerol/pethidine seems to have gone out of fashion. I have a moderate morphine habit/tolerance,and am limited in what I can get hold of - MSTs, morphine IR syrup (oral), and fent patches of the kind that can't be abused. Is it worth trying demerol, with oral and nasal the only acceptable ROAs, which is more effective, and is the stuff just not worth bothering with? Reports are conflicting - it's neurotoxic, it's weaker than codeine, but some say highly euphoric. Any opinions?

I've only ever had it/encountered it in the Emergency Room via the IV route. It was euphoric..but didn't do that great of a job as a painkiller AND I was on a cocktail of other drugs, orphenadrine and cyclobenzaprine included. That would probably explain why it is going out of fashion, at least in the medical world. Morphine IV > Meperidine IV, by a long fucking shot.

I wish they had given me hydromorphone or morphine instead.

From what I've read, reports are conflicting. I can't comment on any other ROAs.

I've found it to be weaker than vicodin or morphine. Oral BA is high so no need to take via other ROA's. I generally even prefer hydrocodone over morphine in most instances, and it's not even as good as that.

As a medication it is definitely out of fashion as it is toxic over time and can build up in people with poor metabolism. This also makes me think it would be dangerous to potentiate.

I like in Drugstore Cowboy when Fogle is describing himself (Bob) breaking into the hospital and only finding Demerol and cursing it before he starts getting chased. Ha.

I'm only aware of pethadine used in hospitals, specifically here for the first stages of labour (which is pretty fucking useless imo ;-) had it twice, in 2003 and 2005, then in 2009 was given diamorphine instead and they told me they don't really use pethadine anymore and that diamorphine has pretty much replaced it.

I find that pethidine is quite pleasant at low doses. It's got mild stimulant effects, and it feels quite a bit like coke in my experience. At high doses however, it's just a weak opioid with a horrible anticholinergic twist.

Bitter & Tainted, aren't you the lucky one. :) Getting heroin/diamorphine in hospital. I wish I'll be as lucky if I ever have kids myself.

Ive had demerol orally, IM and IV. I have a pretty big morphine habit now and i find it barely fixes me at all even given IM or IV. Before i had a opiate habit i found it to be very euphoric though.

If you have any kind of big opiate habit i honestly would bother with it except for one just to try. Just eat the pills though.

I'm only aware of pethadine used in hospitals, specifically here for the first stages of labour (which is pretty fucking useless imo ;-) had it twice, in 2003 and 2005, then in 2009 was given diamorphine instead and they told me they don't really use pethadine anymore and that diamorphine has pretty much replaced it.

I don't believe for a fucking second you were given diamorphine. IT'S A SCHEDULE I SUBSTANCE. No hospital would administer an illegal drug like heroin for pain. LOL Nice imagination. I'll believe that in my dreams

In the United Kingdom hospitals use diamorphine in the same way hospitals in the United States use hydromorphone or regular morphine.

Diamorphine is completely and totally illegal in only a few countries (the U.S. being one of them).

Diamorphine used to be used in hospitals here in Canada even up until 1997 i think? With morphine, hydromorphone and fentanyl there is not a whole lot of need for it but it would be nice to have it back on the market all the same.

Bumping my own thread, I conducted pretty extensive experiments with 50mg demerol tablets, think I had about 70 in a couple of very cheap deals. In terms of potency, I'd have to agree it's on the weak side, - for me, 50mgs demerol more or less =30mgs dihydrocodeine, but is both more euphoric and less effective as a painkiller. I get severe tension headaches (not migraines, Jewish stress-neurosis), and whereas 3 prescription strength co-codamol (30mgs codeine/500 apap) will generally clear them, or 60mgs DHC (I'm addicted to morphine, but still get analgesic effects from milder opis) will get rid of them with a little ibuprofen (or 2 x 5/500 vics), it takes about 120-150mgs of oral demerol with 500mgs apap to do the job. Recreationally, too, I'd say they're inferior to high-dose DHC or oral morphine, just because they're so short-acting. I won't bother with them again, except perhaps as an occasional condiment of sorts - they were nice at the end of some long, hard workmg days mixed with MScontins and fent patches - but by that point, I was chomping up to 500mgs demerol while on 180mgs Mscontin and low-dose fent, so it's notsuprising they packed a bit of a rush. I'd take the same kind of dose of DHC to get a little noddy - and DHC isn't neurotoxic in high doses. So, on balance, I join the consensus - thumbs down on demerol, it's a poor many's oxy.

I was a little dissapointed - I'd read good things about demerol in old novels, but, in retrospect, it was always about IV use, and I imagine (I don't do needles - no self-control, I'd be dead within months if I started) than an IV demerol rush would be briefly utopian.. I'd rate pethidine above codeine phosphate, below DHC and Vicodin and waaaaay below oral morphine - if used at dangerously addictive doses and potentiated or....but no, let's not go there, it doesn't qualify as harm minimisation.

Play safe.

Damn near useless IMO, but if you are dope sick it might be help.

Giving diamorphine in a hospital is just plain stupid. There are drugs that are just as effective as a pain killer without the enormous risks. Only people wanting to get high would think that is a good idea.....

This is one thing I actually agree with the US govt about. The UK is crazy for allowing that.

Demerol has its place, although that place is a very small place.

Hospitals in the UK use diamorphine the way hospitals in the US use hydromorphone. It certainly situations it makes more sense to use diamorphine (it is a tiny bit quicker acting).

They also use ketamine as first-line analgesia at car accidents and other situations where emergency medical crews are the first on scene.

You can also get scripted diamorphine for heroin addiction treatment in the UK (and in a few other countries in Europe) in addition to buprenorphine or methadone. The way I see it, the more treatment options, the better.

Demerol has its place, although that place is a very small place.

Hospitals in the UK use diamorphine the way hospitals in the US use hydromorphone. It certainly situations it makes more sense to use diamorphine (it is a tiny bit quicker acting).

They also use ketamine as first-line analgesia at car accidents and other situations where emergency medical crews are the first on scene.

You can also get scripted diamorphine for heroin addiction treatment in the UK (and in a few other countries in Europe) in addition to buprenorphine or methadone. The way I see it, the more treatment options, the better.

I don't think of heroin maintenance a treatment. Just a way for anyone to score heroin that has an opiate in their system to show up on a drug test. I wouldn't consider people on it as clean. Only difference now is that their dope is pure.

Heroin maintenance is not as easy as walking into a clinic, pissing positive and getting a script. Nearly all heroin script patients have habits of 20-40 years' duration, have spent years in prisons, hospitals and detoxes, often have terminal consequences of drug use such as AIDS or major liver disease, and have failed every other treatment.

Some Americans frustrate us Brits thinking that because diamorphine is legal as a medicine here anyone who wants it can get it. Nothing could be further from the truth. Same with Diconal which a lot of yanks say they wish they were in England to try. If you spend a month here with hard core heroin users addicted since the 1980s you *still* probably wont be able to get hold of any diconal.

for me Demerol's place is above hydrocodone but below oxycodone and better opiates.

idk why, but Demerol is kinda "weird".

I don't believe for a fucking second you were given diamorphine. IT'S A SCHEDULE I SUBSTANCE. No hospital would administer an illegal drug like heroin for pain. LOL Nice imagination. I'll believe that in my dreams

diamorphine is used in uk hospitals for labour and is prescribed to some addicts in certain areas wish it was in mine uk is far better than the us for prescription medication

Indeed, different countries have different laws regarding that.

The UK is better than the US for some prescription medication, we have a lot more opiate prescription usage that isn't diamorphine (think OxyContin, hydromorphone, etc) and a lot lot more prescriptions for stimulants such as Adderall and Dexedrine.

I do agree that Demerol is just plain strange, StaySedated.

Demerol is great IV, but orally its alright. I once got a prescription 20 tablets 50 mg and I ate about 300 mg worth and I got a nice buzz off it. It was a good high, sedating, and noddy.

As far as heroin being available. It is available everywhere - morphine.

Heroin is a morphine prodrug, that is why the vast majority of the world do not use it in medicine. It's essentially the same drug as morphine. Not because it has some magical powers that will trap you in an addiction. It's because it's a morphine prodrug - so there is no use for it since there already is morphine. The only difference is that the extra acetyl groups drive the morphine faster to the brain than morphine would on its own. That's it.

Iv'e had demerol before in the ER via IM when I was haveing an extreamly bad arthitic leg flair. It gave me nice euphoria and decent pain relief but concidering the level of my pain they should of IVd me hydromorphone or oxymorphone.

Demerol is great IV, but orally its alright. I once got a prescription 20 tablets 50 mg and I ate about 300 mg worth and I got a nice buzz off it. It was a good high, sedating, and noddy.

As far as heroin being available. It is available everywhere - morphine.

Heroin is a morphine prodrug, that is why the vast majority of the world do not use it in medicine. It's essentially the same drug as morphine. Not because it has some magical powers that will trap you in an addiction. It's because it's a morphine prodrug - so there is no use for it since there already is morphine. The only difference is that the extra acetyl groups drive the morphine faster to the brain than morphine would on its own. That's it.

Heroin may be a morphine prodrug but it isn't the same as Morphine. The effects of Heroin are vastly greater. The only real similarity in terms of effects is the heavy sedation. Heroin is more euphoric and provides more body warmth. I'd take Heroin over Morphine any day.

As far as Demerol goes, I never got much of a buzz from it. I took 250mg of it a few times and it never got me to where I wanted to be. Didn't provide that classic opioid feeling. Its a full synthetic so I never really expected it to be.