TDS Megamerged TDS Psychosis Thread vs. it's all going to be alright

I'm 18 and I was an everyday smoker of pot and a weekend user of e's... I had a pretty freaky experience with some laced weed, downing three e's, some vals, some ADHD meds and smoking some crystal... for a few hours I was completely disconnected from my actions and was helpless as I watched myself consume one drug after another. I experienced pretty intense visual and auditory hallucinations. I went through a week of paranoia, I eventually went to a psychocholgist who said that I had experienced a mild psychosis... meaning that I had experience pretty severe elements of a psychosis except that I did retain some control in my actions and that I was aware my hallucinations were fake rather than a reality. Almost 3 weeks on and the paranoia has lessened, I still experience some hallucinations except much less intense.

I loved smoking pot and doing e's with my mates on the weekend and I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get back to using these drugs after experiencing a psychosis? I'm taking a break at the moment (a pretty big step for me!) but I'd love to get back to using them in a more recreational sense but I sure as hell don't wanna end up schizophrenic! My memory of the last few weeks is pretty shit and I have expirnced a few hallucinations since (although nothing compared to that night!)

It'd be great to hear from anyone thats experienced a similar situation and if you ever managed to get back to using!

Well I got amphetamine psychosis over 5 years ago after smoking strong cannabis while on speed and now every time I smoke while on speed I go psychotic, but if I just do speed (d/l-amphetamine) I don't get psychosis even when I do 5 days binge. Meth is different thing tho it release so much dopamine that in long time it can cause psychosis very easy. With regular d/l-amphetamine the risk isn't so high.

Any other drug is safe also, but I would be careful with cannabis.

It will take soem time to be able to see and understand the full extent of your psychosis and whether or not it will keep being a problem. For the time being I would advise staying clean and being patient, self aware. You will learn what does or does not trigger psychotic episodes in you and whether or not you can still keep using whichever drug or not.

Try to give yourself thirty to sixty days clean to let yourself heal amdnto restore neurotransmitter balance. If after that time you still don't feel right give yourself another thirty days. If in 90 days you're not back to normal see a psychiatrist and be honest about your previous drug consumption. Be very careful reintroducing substances back into your life, meaning do not mix drugs - only one substance at a time for a while, and start off with a low beginning dose. Ideally wait 60 - 90 days before reintroducing substances. Teen years to early adult years are usually the standard time mental illness will start to present, so you donwant to wait on reintroducing substances to make certain you're fine before doing so. That being said, if you have been fine until that night you binged it's probably drug induced and you just need to wait it out to get back to baseline before you use again. Sometimes it does take a while if your balance was really thrown off or you were on the verge of depleting something. Try to eat healthy (clean), try to stick with water, exercise, and stick to a sleep schedule. Believe it or not those things really make a huge impact on recovering quicker.

my mother is deeply induced into meth psychosis, claiming that her ex husband is following her on fox news, making no sense about what she is talking about, posting random pictures on Facebook from her iPhone- all normal things on the phone that she thinks someone is out to get her, outbursts when nobody believes her, even taping her windows and outlets and taking out her smoke alarm thinking it was a camera.im in rehab for xanax abuse and understands a lot about addiction but cannot fathom why this woman won't fxxking understand what meth is doing to her. Won't go to rehab, and is on the verge of death. Cannot even talk to her anymore because she is so consumed in her own delusion and spends all of her day on her phone. She is 54 and I'm is wondering if this psychosis will ever go away. It has been going on for about 9 months and overtime she's spun it gets so much even threatened to put her daughter into jail for pictures on her phone because she thought the authorities were after her. Very confused on what to do, wondering if i will ever talk mother again.

Last edited:
SWIM isn't allowed here.

As for your mom, do you have a local mental health clinic or facility she can be admitted into? When she's a threat to herself and others you have to take action. Sorry. Meth is one helluva drug.

wait wdym swim isn't allowed here

I'm not a MOD, but I'm sure one can explain, it's in the forum rules....no swimming.

I'm so sorry that meth is causing psychosis issues in your family. I've never desired to try meth, nor will I ever.

Yeah, the site rules, read them.. you cant use swim to cover talking about yourself on here.. it is pretty much useless anyways, its not like they don't know who SWIM is, LEOs, DEA, FBI... besides, I highly doubt they are concerned about someone whos mother has a drug problem.. they have bigger things to worry about. NOW, I myself, went through a very similar deal with that flakka shit.. other wise known as a-pvp, a stimulant research chemical, that was flooding the streets where I live about 2-3 years ago.. Being the stimulant lover I am, I went ahead and tried it, and whoa! that shit scared the hell outta me, I was totally going psychotic from doing it so much, because it was very VERY cheap, sometimes free, and so easy to get.. I got addicted to it very fast, and it supposedly shares a lot of the same characteristics as crystal meth.. even looks just like it.. but anyways, there were several times, I went absolutely crazy from staying up for days on end smoking that shit, and I was truly thinking there was someone inside my walls, in the apartment I live in.. in my ceiling, with tiny cameras and microphones, recording me, and breaking in through my front door... it got so bad, one night, I though there was some kind of person trying to get me like cops or someone, in my room, watching me, hiding under my bed, in my closet, and all over my house behind/under things.. I barricaded myself in my bathroom, flushed all my flakka down the toilet, then came out, freaked out, yelling at no one in reality truly believing there was like a squad of police in my house! Scariest shit of my life, and there were tons more times like that I had... I was very close to being put in a psych ward by my parents.. but they held off. and soon after the last psychotic episode I had, I just couldn't find that shit anymore, it disappeared where I live all of a sudden! and what a blessing in disguise that was! I am so happy, not doing that stupid shit anymore, my life atm is soooo much better, and feel so much better! Tell your mom, to get off that shit! if she doesn't, pull an intervention on her, and make her! get your family or loved ones together and tell her she needs help! or I don't know, she will probably just continue to get worse... I am sorry you have to go through that, that sucks! I really hope things get better for both you and your mom!

5150 your Mother. Not sure what the process is but start documenting her insanity.

Only thing that's going to bring her out of this insanity is extended sobriety, and she doesn't sound like she's going to pursue that voluntarily.

I dealt with an ex like that--but from prolonged IV cocaine use. Daily/all day/going thru a lot/no sleep for many days.

He would run around the house with a knife acting like he was Special Forces defending his ground...saw people who weren't there...would "feel a draft" and claim they turned invisible and ran past him and out the door...swore there was someone hiding in the closet and his friend tried to tell him "no There's no one there" but he just accused him of being in a conspiracy with him. Also called the cops for "someone broke into my house and they r in there now"....lets just say one giant mess

I also saw my sisters ex-husband who didn't do drugs but had insomnia and signed up for a sleep study at the hospital...well whatever they gave him triggered a schizophrenia that ran in the family. He acted much the same. One day he went to pick his car up from garage and wouldn't take it until I checked under it for bombs. (That was my first clue he wasn't mentally healthy...). He deteriorated from there...they divorced and he moved back with family. We tried talking to his doctor but he would act normal at appointment!

Anyway I'm sorry I don't have a solution, just saying I know how hard it is to deal with people not in touch with reality. I'm sorry esp that it's your mom. That's someone who should be a rock in your life, not for you to have to look for care for her. But best thing f any way possible is get her somewhere (rehab, mental hospital) where she can get some clean time under her belt. Sad to say it's the only way she may possibly have an epiphany once she realizes what she has become :(

wait wdym swim isn't allowed here

It means that using SWIM (someone who is not me) isn't allowed, because it offers no legal protection and it's just hard to read the post, so please edit out the SWIM parts to I, my etc.

I'm goint to move this to The Dark Side as I feel it's more suited there

Good luck!

Eat. Drink water. Sleep. My dad tried making me drink tea and eat and rest, I refused completely off my head paranoid delusional believing but it was the right things to do to calm down. It makes sense and I'm sad about the stuff with your mom. I wish you better.

sometimes you need to take drastic measures to ensure she stays away. have you considered having her admited?

14 months back I was diagnosed with cannabis induced psychosis. Im 23 now. Only drug I ever took was weed. I had been smoking weed fairly regularly for about 2 years. The symptoms that I had was hearing voices and having delusions. I was hearing voices of two of my friends who would torment me all the time. I believed that they could control minds and they were controlling mine. I could function normally, I'm in college and I could go to classes. I even took end semester exams during this time. The voices would argue whether to kill me and I would beg them not to. It was worse when I went to bed. After these symptoms started I stopped smoking weed. And I told about my problems to two of my friends, as I was staying in a hostel. About 2 weeks after I quit smoking weed, I went home for vacation. I was still hearing the voices but no one in my family suspected any thing wrong with me. About a week after being home, the voices got worse and worse. They would threaten me all the time and I could take it no more. Then I told my mother everything. She and my father took me to a psychiatrist and he diagnosed me with cannabis induced psychosis. He started me on 1 mg risperidone. He also made me take a drug test which came out negative. It had already been 1 month since I quit weed. Without much progress in a week, doctor increased it to 2mg per day. Then the voices started to reduce. The doctor gradually increased the dosage to 4 mg per day of risperidone till I stopped hearing the voices. It's been 13 months since I heard a voice in my head. I'm still taking 3 mg risperidone per day. I guess I will be taking it for almost 2 years since the diagnosis. I feel very lucky that the voices had stopped. But I feel really stupid for not thinking of going to a doctor as soon as I started hearing voices. Any way after the diagnosis I have smoked weed a couple of times. But the last experience was bad. I got very paranoid although I didn't hear any voices. So I decided to stay away from weed for a long time. It's been 6 months since I last smoked weed. I am hoping that I don't have schizophrenia, as it can't be cured. I hope the psychosis will be over after my current medication. I don't feel that great, it's been kind of depressing.

Reading these posts inspired me to make an account and add my thoughts and questions. I had what I believe to be a marijuana-induced psychotic episode in July 2012. It mirrored schizophrenia in almost every way; I could tell stories forever about it but basically I had the prodromal stage, delusions of grandeur, and eventually full blown psychosis. It is also worth noting him that I went almost 150 hours straight with almost 0 sleep; I was stuck in a sleepwalking-like lucid dreaming state, but was physiologically awake. At the hospital they had to tranquilize me with whatever medication (it's all the same in the end, isn't it?) to get me to sleep, and even then it was only a couple hours at first. I was in a facility for 2 weeks, during which I was wildly psychotic and delusional the entire time, came home as a zombie, relapsed a couple weeks later after my girlfriend abandoned me, and went back to another facility for a month, being in even worse condition than the first time; I even lost about 20 pounds and was vomiting and consitpated. I thought I was in the 1600s one day, on an upper floor of the burning Twin Towers another, thought a hallway door was a time portal, etc. Previously I had experimented only with weed and shrooms. Some of this weed was pretty potent, and someone tried to tell me they thought what we smoked before I went insane was laced, but my other friends swear it wasn't, and nothing happened to them. Anyways, I'm adopted so obtaining my family history from my biological parents took me a while and was an indirect process ..that is to say, my (biological) dad basically just told me that every few years my uncle "goes loopy, can't work or go outside.." and that it's in the family, but that nothing like that ever happened to my dad himself. So I'm assuming I have some genetic predisposition. My confusions and questions stem from me not knowing whether this episode 5 years ago, from which I have (to the best of my knowledge and self-perception) fully recovered (other than focus and memory issues which I'm not even sure were present before or not), is likely to be a singular occurrence, or if I will likely develop schizophrenia sometime in the future. I'm 24 now and was 19 during the psychotic episode. In that 5 years I obtained a nursing degree, but the stress made me change focus and now I'm finishing out school for an occupational therapy assistant degree. I agree with others that exercise, meditation, and a general healthy lifestyle keeps my mind intact. But sometimes I feel like I could still snap into psychosis/schizophrenia again some day..anyone have any thoughts, know any similar stories and how the people involved turned out, etc? I take no medications, do not smoke or do any drugs except for bi-annual low dose shroom doses, which have spiritually only helped me and had nothing to do with the psychosis (I'm steering clear of ego-death doses.) Also, for fun, anyone have any philosophical thoughts on some of their delusions? The same way psychedelic trips are thought to give us insights into realms that are real but normally out of our reach, part of me believes some of these delusions (such as mind control, or in my case believing I had telepathic powers with a couple other people in the facility I was in [I can still remember some of the ways we communicated as if it was real..language is an intricate subject] have something more to them the same way psychedelics are believed to by those who use them. Though my rational scientific mind still tells me otherwise, and I'm aware the mind and its neurochemical interactions are immensely powerful..anyways if anyone actually reads this all and responds I'll be surprised but ecstatic! Much love to you all

I had a couple of psychotic episodes in my teens and twenties which have never been repeated and I am now in my sixties. This may be far more common than anyone ever talks about both because of the stigma and because it simply slips into the past and the people that have experienced this find no need to dwell on it anymore. I still find it interesting. In my case I romanticized the voices I heard for years afterwards. Like your experience, mine was possibly drug induced (lots of psychedelics) but was also simply where I found myself in life--young, immature, disconnected from myself and everything around me as well as multiple traumatic experiences. Ironically I do believe that the wisdom that psychedelics afforded me also led to my recovery both in my deeper mental healthissues and my ability to face life without drugs.

I think when you step back from a person's delusions of grandeur, delusions of hearing or controlling other's thoughts or sensing that they are controlled by evil forces it all can be seen rationally through the lens of a person feeling completely out of control--an existential crisis that tips the psyche into madness. I do believe that madness can be insightful in some ways. But that insight is usually bombarded by so much mental garbage that it can be hard to hold onto--either during the madness or after it has subsided.

I hope that you will not be afraid of your mind to the point where you doubt your abilities to handle life's stresses and uncertainties. You sound completely capable (nursing school is not easy!) and like you have a lot to offer. Don't sell yourself short.<3

Thank you, SO much for this post. I could not have hoped for a more relevant and reassuring response. Just hearing from someone who experienced something similar and has not had another relapse puts my mind at ease. I have been doing quite well lately and feel more mentally clear, minus some focus issues that may be unrelated, but I do tend to doubt myself more often than I should. I guess I'll just continue trying my best and continue the healing, leaving the past in the past and just keeping the nuggets of wisdom I've gained from those experiences tucked away. I wish you truly the best in this life and hope your mind remains peaceful as well

I had a drug-induced psychosis about two weeks ago. The actual day I used a novel hexedrone/hexen analogue with the short name NEiH, which was released in Sweden this summer, and the synthetic cannabinoid 5f mdmb 2201. This is the most terrifying I&apos;ve ever experienced during my lifetime (I&apos;m 30 years old). I&apos;m diagnosed with bipolar disorder type 2 and are supposed to take Quetiapine XR daily, though I&apos;ve neglected this during the past 2 months. I felt terrible and suicidal the days after the psychosis and my mother did persuade me to start taking my medication again. I haven&apos;t been able to work since the psychosis but I feel a lot better now when I take the anti psychotic medication daily. I&apos;m currently spending my time relaxing/sleeping, watching movies and going out for a short walk or run daily.