• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Uncontrollable Shaking/Twitching/Muscle Spasms on Weed

Although many find that cannabis can effectively control their epilepsy, I wouldn't say that it's inconceivable that it could paradoxically cause seizures in some people. It's hard to say though really, but it's better to play things safe since you can actuallly die from the condition in rare cases and it's best to take these things seriously. Speaking to your doc is probably the best course of action.

I have had it happen to me in the 80's.

I was able to isolate it down to one batch of old weed that had mold on it.

small little white dots (not THC).

after that I carefully inspected anything I consumed even manufacturing myself at one point instead of using commercial, you can smell mold and it is visible when pods reach large enough sizes, many toxic even in visibly undetectable amounts when consumed through inhalation.

my experience was more of a white out than a black out, sunlight coming through a window kept getting brighter and brighter till everything in the room got grainy like a bad b/w camcorder then I fell over (was sitting down) and started twitching on the floor (in my mind trip I was stuck in a back alley fighting some hooligans) so that might explain the twitching of outer limbs, then again it could have been seizure like reaction to the mold other people smoked about the same amount of the moldy weed on numerous occasions and nothing happened to them so it may be a unique allergic reaction or a combination of my own body chemistry at the time (dehydrated/adolescent/ etc etc).

Some molds are deadly when consumed, look at Britney Murphy case, so it is something to consider for anyone who smokes remember Ergot is a mold and one from which LSD derives and Tricothecenes has been used as a war agent so there is no telling what different molds are going to do to the body when consumed or inhaled through burning but there is a heck of a lot of toxicology reports already drawn up for molds and their effects when consumed orally or inhaled without burning to look at for ideas of their effects to the body for example Fumonisin is a known carcinogen (meaning it causes cancer).

Last edited:
I have had it happen to me in the 80's.

I was able to isolate it down to one batch of old weed that had mold on it.

small little white dots (not THC).

after that I carefully inspected anything I consumed even manufacturing myself at one point instead of using commercial, you can smell mold and it is visible when pods reach large enough sizes, many toxic even in visibly undetectable amounts when consumed through inhalation.

my experience was more of a white out than a black out, sunlight coming through a window kept getting brighter and brighter till everything in the room got grainy like a bad b/w camcorder then I fell over (was sitting down) and started twitching on the floor (in my mind trip I was stuck in a back alley fighting some hooligans) so that might explain the twitching of outer limbs, then again it could have been seizure like reaction to the mold other people smoked about the same amount of the moldy weed on numerous occasions and nothing happened to them so it may be a unique allergic reaction or a combination of my own body chemistry at the time (dehydrated/adolescent/ etc etc).

Some molds are deadly when consumed, look at Britney Murphy case, so it is something to consider for anyone who smokes remember Ergot is a mold and one from which LSD derives and Tricothecenes has been used as a war agent so there is no telling what different molds are going to do to the body when consumed or inhaled through burning but there is a heck of a lot of toxicology reports already drawn up for molds and their effects when consumed orally or inhaled without burning to look at for ideas of their effects to the body.

Shit that sounds awful! Must have been really scary.

not really in my mind trip I kicked some but! I think the other guys were scared tho,

but yeah, it was scary as a new experience that I didn't even know was happening till it was over. (when I awoke) my friends told me I was out for about 5 secs twitching but it felt like several minutes of action that transpired in my brain, certainly changed my perspective at an early age as far as the safeness of pot and other drugs and their possible impurities/additives.

I'm sorry but your one isolated incident, is not reason enough for you to tell this guy he's 100% safe to toke. Doing anything that can trigger a seizure is a BAD FUCKING IDEA.

I Had a friend who used to get them sometimes, we played them down because he never seemed too phased & it wasn't a regular thing. Until one day he smacks his head on the way down and nearly dies from head injuries.

This is a harm reduction site mate, not a "durr i think i know wut im tlkin bwt so im gn give stoopid advizzeee" site.

Whatever man, read around about this topic and see if I'm wrong. Even you yourself said that your friend's problem was from falling. I don't think I ever said fainting can not cause injuries. All I said is it is common for people to get really high and faint, which it is.

I'm not even going to justify the attack portion of your post with a response other than a 8)

. All I said is it is common for people to get really high and faint, which it is.

Yes I'd have to say this much is true. What seemed to happen in this guy's case is he fainted from toking too hard (oxygen deprivation probably, but I'm no physician), and had a seizure from hitting his head even harder. I remember a guy having a seizure after getting seriously knocked-out playing football. The weed itself is safe to smoke, but ya might want to sit down if you're prone to fainting.

anxiety attack

i too have had this well know phenominom happen to me on a couple of occasions.

the first ever time i had just started smoking weed and walked round to the park with a few of my pals had a few tokes, about half of a joint to myself. ( this was quite alot at the time as i had only just started smoking weed ) i was stood up and everything started going faint, i began to feel dizzy so i laid down. my mates told me i went very pale. all of a sudden this horrible anxiety like feeling overtook me and i got right tense. i then proceeded to throw up, after about 5 minutes of relaxing after throwing up everything was fine. i took it as a bad experience and had some more weed later that day, everything was fine.

the second time i was at this drug house with a few people i had recently met. one of the guys who chilled there was a coke dealer. as you do one friday night me and my pals were endoulging in some very nice coke. about 6 gram between 3 of us. when one of my mates said "why dont we have a coke joint" i thought yeh why not sounds like a good idea haha. so we rolled a joint with some coke sprinkled on. i had a few tokes of this mad invention. very soon after i became very agitated .. a mind set of paranoia came over me and i told my mates i was off to sit outside. this overwhelming feeling of anxiety began to make me feel very uneasy. my arms became very tense and i couldnt move them. after around 20 minutes of not being able to move my arms i began to focus on my breathing and slowly came back to base level i once again took it as a bad experience and went back inside to enjoy the rest of the night haha....

the third time it happend to me was deffinatley the worst and most scary time.
it was early in the morning one day and me and my mates had just got hold of some bud so we went into the local park and rolled a couple of joints. we got talking and somehow the subject got onto one of my mates mums who had died from heroin overdose. i wasnt easy talking about shit like that and all of a sudden became very light headed.
everything becaume very bright and i blanked out. the next thing i know im on the floor. i must of feinted and my mates told me i smacked my head on the floor as i hit the ground.

i then sat up and began to focus on my breathing like last time. but it wasnt working. this overwhelming feeling of fear or paranoia took over again. and i began to shake. all of my body became so tense i couldnt move at all. it felt like i was stook on an electric current. my whole body was buzzing with this sort of pins and needles like pain. i couldnt move at all during any of this. my mates were seriously considering called an ambulance at this point. what i experienced i believe to be some sort of seizure. maybe a very strong panic attack at the least. after around 30 minutes of not being able to move i slowly began to feel normal again. later that day i had some more bud and everything was fine...

i would love to find out what these occurances are caused by as they can be terrifiying and overwhelming. i have since had minor attacks but have learnt how to control them and not one has got out of hand since. any input is gratley appreciated. i belive them to be some sort of anxiety attack trigered by the weed or a mild form of seizure. i have seen this happen to a few of my pals on many occassions and is a very common occurance. i dont think its as rare as some people make out. thanks.

oh shit i get that to. when i 1st started smoking alot was when i stayed with my cousin for the summer, i was 14. he asked me if i smoked weed an i said yea i smoked once in awhile with friends. an my cousin is a heavy smoker pothead. when we wake up we smoke an before he went to work we'd smoke, when he got back we smoke, sometimes we went to his friends or they'll come to his house an will smoke a blunt cuz my cousin mostly smokes from a bowl, we did that same smoking routine daily. then a week before i was gonna leave back to my mom in texas i started getting a lil twitch from my head. it went on for awhile but eventually it went away and i forgot about it, but now i cant smoke with out gettin body or head twitches an spasm, i use to enjoy smoking an goofin with friends till this shit came back worst. maybe i should stop for a year.

I almost always get the twitches and shakes from smoking when I get way too high. I honestly don't mind it too much, it's annoying, sure, but more embarrassing than anything. My hands are normally not very steady and tend to be shaky (I think it's genetics or something seeing as my mom has this as well), but when I smoke I shake/twitch so bad sometimes that I can barely light a bowl without my hand shaking around. My friends always ask me if I'm OK and I get odd looks from other people sometimes, so that all just makes me self-conscious and such I suppose. I also get FREEZING cold after smoking. Maybe I should try smoking alone and it'd be better? Something to consider... And on another note, something strange though aside from weed that I've noticed is when I'm tripping or I've taken Adderall, my fingers get stiff... like the muscles are contracted and won't relax no matter what I do, they're just weirdly sticking out straight or all of my fingers are tight up against each other and all bent like I'm holding something. It's really strange, only happens now and then, but regardless... who knows! =/

I do know that you can focus on any tiny thing that is going on in your body though, and amplify it tenfold just by worrying asbout it while stoned :)

I think this quote from the very beginning of this thread pretty much sums it up. We get twitches and spasms in our muscles all the time; there is a constant oscillation in our nerves that, especially once we start to get anxious about it, expresses itself as shaking and tremor in various parts of the body. I really don't think that weed ever causes tremors or twitches, it only exacerbates the ones that would happen anyway by making us worry about them. but I agree with the folks on this thread - there have definitely been times where I've been really high, and found myself with weird twitches or spasms that I would obsess over... Same for muscle stiffness, which is even more annoying to me... if I've been exercising too, sometimes I'll stretch too much after smoking, to the point of pulling muscles a bit.

My little brother and I used to smoke together a lot and sometimes we'd start to kinda just zone out listening to the music, but then I'd just freak out and twitch like crazy. Like a mini seizure or something. :b of course it was hilarious and made more a few minutes of giggles. But sometimes it's scary! I don't normally get paranoid or anything but when I do and get a twitch thing it freaks me out a little bit. It seems like when I'm smoking with new people I twitch more than usually, so then I try to control it which makes me twitch worse and then it's just weird haha.

I need help
I smoked a gravity bong hit of hash yesterday and have my head twitching back and forth ever since.

I can't say I have ever experienced/know anyone who has experiences shaking after smoking up. I know when I go a long time without weed (and by long I really only mean 24hrs) I start to shake. Starts with the restless legs, then the hands/arms, then the head.

Focusing on the shaking makes it worse IME. You need to just sit/lay down, relax, watch a movie, play some games. Anything that fully engages your mind. With any luck you'll suddenly realize "hey im not shaking anymore, cool"

Try adding Valerian Root and Broccoli into your diet,
might help with the twitching/anxiety

it has for me anyway, its non existent on my own or the right company

Hi all, I dont shake, but i do have spasms...Ive been known to throw the foxtel remote across the room...I hate it...Scares the shit out everyone in the room....Probably happens twice a month or so...My legs have them too but not as much..They are always big spasms and they never ever hurt or anything...I smoke an ounce every two weeks..Also on Methadone daily...Told My Dr and im off for an MRI scan in three weeks....Anyone else with this?

yeah i get really weird spasms in my legs but to an extent it's controllable

i only really get worried when it starts spreading upwards but that hasn't happened in a long while

are these spasms dangerous or something?

I just went on a little ride to get something to eat as I was really hungry and high, and when hitting on the clutch, my leg would start shaking. It happened to me another time before which was more intense but it was 2 am, I had to stop to get some candies to get some sugar. After I ate I was alright, like I am right now, I don't shake anymore after eating.