• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

yeah thats the one. I mean just go wander the 52 continental united states maybe youll find what your looking for.

do anything you want, stuff like amebix suggest and others, except don't join the army, you'll serve the unkown ones and destroy your soul.

wesmdow said:
i know it would most certainly not be pleasant, but i feel like i might benefit from the rigid structure of military life, specifically the navy, due to the fact that iraq (and iran) is land-locked.
joining the navy won't prevent your being sent to iraq...

it strikes me (based on this thread and reading your bl contribution for sometime) that many of your issues are not environmental but internal. running away to the military is no solution if that's that case.

maybe you just need to find yourself. you are in control of your own destiny. have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and asked (and answered honestly) some tough questions?

good luck.

alasdair

i know full well that i have internal issues, however i think that a change of a large caliber externally might force an internal change.

...and yes i have many, many times sat and asked myself as many "tough questions" as i could come up with-- this only leads to deeper and deeper depression, as the answers i come up with are nearly never positive.

do elaborate tho, what kinds of questions do you mean?

and that always makes me wonder if my answers to said questions are correct or if they are jaded by the corrupted mind which asked them.

who am i?
what do i want?
what is my dream?
what am i willing to do to make it happen?

that kind of stuff.

i'm not suggesting that a change of scenery is useless - it can be a catalyst for change. however, in my experience, when people run away from problems, they just end up in a different place with the same problems.

alasdair

wesmdow said:
im not hell-bent on joining the military, i am just tired of aimlessly drifting through life. i still have no real path before me and im 20 years old. i really should have something...

wes, i'm ten years older than you and i'm still finding my feet. seriously, you got A LOT of time to work things out. for discipline, you do not have to go military. really.

and seriously, who the hell is disciplined at 20?

it's excellent that you're interested in bettering yourself at that age. but there are better ways to do it man.

I get you.

I went through a similar thing a while back. As a recurring event in my life, I find it really hard to commit myself long-term to pretty much anything.

Realising it, and being uncomfortable with it was the first step.

I say go speak to a recruiter in the military and find out what your job options are. Lie to yourself, tell yourself you're going to join...

I figure if it's really not your thing [and it definitely sounds that way,] you'll do whatever you can to weasel your out of it... even if it means finding yourself a 9-5 job before it's too late.

It may seem hard to get moving in the morning, but it becomes a habit in the same way not doing anything can become a habit. Once you gain this must-get-up-and-go-to-work mentality, you'll start to realize you own a sense of responsibility and it becomes just as hard not to go.

Yep, you'll be stuck in the cycle, but at least it's a cycle that affords you a few luxuries in life [unlike the one you're in now.]

Get a shit job.

Everyone should work at least one or two really crappy jobs in their lifetime. It'll teach you the value of a dollar as well as self discipline. It's great motivating factor, education will become more important as you don't want to end up doing "that" for the rest of your life. Your an intelligent man, you just need to sort yourself out and get your shit together.

Self discipline can only be self taught, you have to want to knuckle down on the task at hand. Find a passion in life and start working towards that. Also give up the drugs, I know it sounds blasphemous to advocate that on Bluelight, but in my opinion someone whose in the state of mind that you're in needs as few things as possible to cloud your mind.

You could always volunteer overseas if you need a break from your world. Or get a work visa in europe and become self sufficient.

It took me until I was about 23 to really get my shit together. I barely graduated highschool, I lacked direction and self discipline, I didn't care what the hell happened to me, I lacked confidence, and I was depressed. If someone had told me at 18 or even 20 that at 25 I'd be on my way to becoming a doctor I'd have told them to shut the fuck up.

Personal growth can't be rushed (which is unfortunate cause if I knew then what I knew now I'd be practising already) but your 20's are prime self discovery time. Once you discover that you're the master of your own destiny and what's truly important to you then you'll (people in general) will stop dicking around and be able to focus on what you want. It helps to visualize who you want to be, then make a conscious effort to become that person. Best of luck, it ain't easy.

yea, is it that bad? that all depends man, it is what you make of it for the most part. will bootcamp suck? yes. will you spend countless hours cleaning things to perfection? yes. do you get a couple days R&R when you pull into port in hawaii/australia/philippines/thailand/spain etc? yes. do you have to work hard and take pride in whatever you do? eh, if you want to get promoted and keep the higher-ups off your ass then yes, but you can slouch through a 4 year contract. it will just make it more difficult and less fun.

what is the pay like? bout 1000 a month to start out im sure if you google enlisted pay rate youll find a link.

would i get a gun? ...i like guns. in the navy, unless youre a seal or some type of mp/security then no. youll prolly get to qualify with a rifle at a virtual range.

in terms of duties, what would i likely have to do? im quite booksmart but not too physically strong or coordinated. im computer savvy but not a programmer by any means... you need to look online or talk to a recruiter about "duties" make sure you dont join unless you absolutely guarantee that youll get the job you want.

how quickly, if at all, are promotions given out? that depends on how well you perform and what extra stuff you do to stand out among your peers

where do the boats go/do? in the water. seriously this is a terrible question ;)

are there any positive aspects, or just negative ones? it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. i will tell you this though. i dont remember all the times i was awake at 3am cleaning toilets with a toothbrush in my skivvies. i do remember accidentally setting a phillipino cabbie on fire while chucking fireworks out the window.

I'm an 18 year old high school drop out. I was doing drugs all of high school and have been clean ever since dropping out (roughly a year now). I've been sitting at home doing absolutely nothing but eating, playing video games, and sleeping. I have alot of anxiety (thank you 2 years of meth) and i get really nervous whenever I think seriously about joining, but i've been having a pretty hard time getting a job and being at home all the time is really starting to get to me. I'm a lazy person, and i lack discipline, but i dont want to be that way anymore and want some excitement in my life.

I'd really hate to leave my family behind. They will find a new home for my puppy if i join :\ but it's something I really want to do.

Does anyone have experience in the military? (preferably the marines or national guard)

What are the pros/cons of joining? How was your life after you came back?

"Join the army, meet interesting people and kill them"

Don't waste your love on a nation.

Captaindammit said:
I'm a lazy person, and i lack discipline, but i dont want to be that way anymore and want some excitement in my life.

The military might be the best place for you... it's filled with lazy people.

However... last I heard, the military doesn't take dropouts.

Contact me off the board if you want to know more.

Do it man...thus far in my 5 years of service, no regrets. I learend alot about myself, made myself so much HARDER and stronger.

You do know there's a war on, right?

Do a little research on the number of PTSD cases this war has produced, and what our "government" does for its veterans.

Short answer: Don't do it.

yeah, joining the army to be a soldier, in war?

insane! everyone should just join for the college money and free technical training.

imagine that! actually serving your country, and going overseas to help build a country...wouldnt wanna do that!

So you're cool with killing people on behalf of 'your country'?