• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

I dont know how I found this place but I just had to say this. Hey Marine Wife dont put our family business out there for people to talk about us(the Marine Family) thank you

joining the military even if im not patriotic...?

i need a change in my life, a huge one.

growing up, i was always allowed to do whatever the hell i wanted whenever the hell i wanted. ...given, im not sure what my (or any) parents would have done to keep me in line (i never really did anything BAD), i was still never disciplined at all.

i took school as a joke, was kicked out of several high schools for not attending class (even tho my grades were fine), and mouthing off to administrators about it. i got in an ASSLOAD of trouble once for refusing to say the pledge or even look at the flag.

...but what was 'trouble,' really? detention that i never went to, or extra homework that i never did.

my parents attempted to ground me a couple of times, but short o actually guarding my room and holding the door shut, there wasnt much they could do to stop me from leaving the house and visiting my friends.

i never really got a taste of authority untill i got arrested for the first time, and even then i didnt learn my lesson. the second time i got arrested, jail kicked my ass. the hole really sucks. i learned to moderate my behavior a bit.

anyway, that was a bit of a tangent. my point in all that was that ive never really known discipline, and at 20, this makes holding a job and attending college (not to mention STUDYING) very, very difficult.

so, i was brainstorming on ways out of this hole i seem to have drifted into, and the military popped up as a fairly decent sounding idea.

i know it would most certainly not be pleasant, but i feel like i might benefit from the rigid structure of military life, specifically the navy, due to the fact that iraq (and iran) is land-locked.

now my main problem with this idea is that i am not the slightest bit patriotic. i couldnt give less of a shit about any country--the idea of countries even existing seems rather stupid to me, because its really just lines drawn in the sand with the sole purpose of dividing people.

id like to hear from some people whove spent time in the military-- was it worth it? would it be worth it for someone like me, who would be joining for the benefits the military provides, rather than to be a part of some greater cause? (i dont even support what the US military is doing right now at all)

might i be better off joining a different organization such as the peace core, or the red cross?

i can somewhat relate to your first couple of paragraphs.

i would suggest a better alternative would be some martial arts practice. it takes quite a bit of discipline to take martial arts seriously. you will have to obey orders and accept criticism with your mouth shut and through quite a bit of pain.

and in a year or two, if you go about three times a week, you will be more disciplined, patient, fit, and have aweseome skills and hopefully some wisdom about your new found abilities.

If you dont like your country are you willing to die for something you dont like? Seems like the military is a bad idea. understanding your shortcomings is half the battle just try to change for the better a little bit at a time.

I'll second the martial arts suggestion. That will not only teach you discipline but it will teach you to rely on yourself and to think for yourself and to temper your actions with your mind and heart.

Joining the military will make you a killer that follows orders unquestioningly... if you come out like they want. It also gives you a greater chance to be killed. You would be serving corporate interests in the military and not national ones.

Go for a martial art.

SmokingMan said:
I'll second the martial arts suggestion. That will not only teach you discipline but it will teach you to rely on yourself and to think for yourself and to temper your actions with your mind and heart.

Joining the military will make you a killer that follows orders unquestioningly... if you come out like they want. It also gives you a greater chance to be killed. You would be serving corporate interests in the military and not national ones.

Go for a martial art.

what the hell are you talking about?

dont join the navy if youre not going to stick with it. you can get in a lot more trouble in the military for causing trouble than you can in civilian life. four years is a long time to be stuck busting rust on a boat. if you really think you can keep your nose clean for that long then make sure you lock in your job before you sign anything and make sure its a job that will pay good on the outside when you get out so you can transition into a fat paycheck.
any other questions about life on a boat?

yea, is it that bad?

what is the pay like?

would i get a gun? ...i like guns.

in terms of duties, what would i likely have to do? im quite booksmart but not too physically strong or coordinated. im computer savvy but not a programmer by any means...

how quickly, if at all, are promotions given out?

where do the boats go/do?

are there any positive aspects, or just negative ones?

^I would assume you get issued a gun but that's definately NOT the reason you should join the navy(or any of ther other armed services) but if you're serious I don't see why you wouldn't get a gun(not sure about the navy but I mean we ARE at war so..:\)
I personally don't think it's even worth it except for the marines.

oh yeah, shit im the same way i just collect welfare make music and drink beer and i love it :p

The following, originally a product of the Vietnam era, has been resurrected for training purposes in every war since and is an example of the kind of morale building that has been judged appropriate to the formation of an American soldier:

Shell the town and kill the people
Drop the napalm in the square
Do it on a Sunday morning
While they're on their way to prayer
Aim your missiles at the schoolhouse
See the teacher ring the bell
See the children's smiling faces
As their schoolhouse burns to hell
Throw some candy to the children
Wait till they all gather round
Then you take your M-16 now
And mow the little fuckers down

The army, a real mans proffession!

we've got ships hovering in the persian gulf right now...don't think that because the 2 countries are somewhat landlocked that we don't have options like that.

also if you're book-smart, and hell-bent on the military, why not consider the airforce?

definitely think about what you want to get out of this. if you just need discipline and don't believe in what you're assigned to do in the military, i'm afraid that you as a soldier or seaman or whatever are putting the rest of your comrades in jeopardy with your apathy.

are you willing to die for what you don't believe in and are you willing to kill for what you dont' believe in?

im not hell-bent on joining the military, i am just tired of aimlessly drifting through life. i still have no real path before me and im 20 years old. i really should have something...

I think you are naiive to think you wouldnt go to war. We are already going through a shortage of soldiers!

The majority of people in the military are proud of what they are doing and know they might die but its for something they believe in. Do you really want to do it if you dont have similiar thoughts? I doubt theyd like having you around.

You come across as looking for the easy way out. I highly doubt you'll find it to be that, exactly.

^thats the attitude im aiming to squash. i think the military might do a good job of it. however, i really dont support what the military is doing right now, and would not be willing to kill or be killed for a cause i dont support.

i need some way out tho... thats for sure...

i just wrecked my car, and its an awful long ways to walk alone.

im also not sure what a bindle is--my guess is that sack of stuff on the end of a stick that hobos in cartoons carry.