• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

i am actually thinking of joining the military

seriously im trying to keep off the drugs for good and am training like a ninja.

I need something BIG to change the way I am,,, and joining the military is the kick up the arse I need imo

All I gotta say is unless you've been in the military or worked closely with them.....You cant really say shit...

You're regurgitating hippie fucking propaganda the same way you view the way the military spews propaganda or the american govt with its excessive american nationalism

Granted Im in a diff branch than most but all these horror stories (w/ the exception of death and injury) are all subjective.....

Its all what you make of it....If you sit back and bitch and fuck off...then of course its gonna suck....

But since you're bound by enlistment for x amount of years....You might as well get the most out of it...I know b/c my first 3 or 4 yrs i bitched and hated it....I then decided to be more postive and make the most of my opportunity...

Yea there's still a lot of BS...but there are also alot of postivies that come from it...

I have a shit ton of options for when I get out...With this new Post 911 GI Bill I get to go to school full time (no cost w/ all books paid) while pulling in anywhere from 1300 - 2000/ month to help cover living expenses....

Worth it??? fuck yea....

If you're not gonna try to give some honest objective non biased info....Then why bother hating something you know shit about....Just cuz you know Johnny Numbnuts who used to serve x amount of years ago....It doesnt mean you have any credibilty...

And for whoever says you're selling out if the you serve yet disagree with the prior administrations foreign policy is BS.....Administrations and foreign policy change....Its a job and a way to make a living....for the most part....

Some people claim that the military helped make them strong.
However, that is just a mind trick, a type of brainwashing.
The type of strength people learn in the military is physical, and it is intended for violence and aggression.

You will get out with a strong body (unless you are injured or killed, or course, which are real possibilities), but a weak mind.

That is the most ridiculous rhetoric I have read in regards to the military in a long time. Your assessment/opinion is so far off base that I would not even know where to begin to calibrate your line of thought. I spent 10 years in the military and hardly gained muscle but I have the mental strength to split the world in two.

the Army kind of sucks, but I was pretty much in the same situation as you when I joined, just a little older, and I have to say I'm much better off now even being in Iraq than I would have been had I just kept on doing what I was doing. so if you you think you need to, think real hard before making a final decision and do what you feel is necessary.

if you're not interested in getting an education, remember that a lot of the army's "financial benefit" comes in the form of a free college education.

Otherwise you should seriously consider the fact that you might be hurt, or hurt others. Is this something you want to do?

You should figure out a way to grow weed if you are looking for excitement and money.

I wouldn't say that, if you're a single soldier, you really don't have to spend shit as a PFC I make $1670.46 a month base pay; food is free if you eat at the DFAC you get dental and medical care, and you live in barracks, which are usually 2 man rooms with a fridge a bathroom and microwave.

factor in deployments
being in Iraq
I make my base pay +
$100.00 a month hazard pay +
$323.87 BAS (just in case the mission causes you to miss chow and you have to come out of pocket) and since I'm deployed the pay is tax free= $2094.33 of disposable income a month and as much as army life sucks thats really not bad money.

I get like 63k as base pay.(rank plus my spec pay)
15.50 per day of field work.
195 a month as I'm fully parachute qualed
26 bucks for going under water/dives.
17.50 each day I am away from home
and about 1400 a month special allowance due to my role/trade/

so 107ish asumming I dont deploy or go on field trg. however I always do.

I'd hazard an average of 8 field days, 5 dives and 8 days away from home per month, which makes another 4600/yr.
for something like 108,600

of course, thats theroy, before mess dues, kit I need to buy my self and dont forgot taxes.

Live a good life, and don't become meat for the new world order grinder.

im in the navy i dont regret it.
i was involved in shady things before and i needed out, now i have job security, benefits, and ill have a career when i get out

o rly?

No more fucked up then sucking a baby out with vacuum and a steel canula.

Seriously...I place them at par... What I do with that a OB/GYN who does abortions does...we kill things that are perhaps getting in the way.

out fucking standing rangerz. i agree whole heartedly. at least the killing soldiers and marines do has a purpose. such as giving numb skulls like that ass hole freedom to say stupid shit. i say, dont judge unless you have been there. but you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how misinformed or ignorant it may be.

im in the navy i dont regret it.
i was involved in shady things before and i needed out, now i have job security, benefits, and ill have a career when i get out

Awesome! Former FC2 here, what do you do in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club? =D

If I could go back in time, I would join the Navy. I'm still thinking about going, and I already have a college degree. The good thing about the Navy is they'll pay back all the student loan principal you incurred while you were in school prior to joining - up to $60k, and none of the other services are that badass. Navy has incomparable benefits, not to mention that the worst thing you'll be able to say about your life is that it is boring and monotonous - the guys sitting in bases in Iraq who joined the army or marines can probably tell you how overrated excitement is, especially the ones who are afraid to make friends because they're afraid that the friends they make might not be there tomorrow.

out fucking standing rangerz. i agree whole heartedly. at least the killing soldiers and marines do has a purpose. such as giving numb skulls like that ass hole freedom to say stupid shit. i say, dont judge unless you have been there. but you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how misinformed or ignorant it may be.
dont jdge unless u've been there?

go o mogadishu and tell me ur views when/if u come back.

gfto the gene pool

Navy?

I have been thinking about joining the navy for personal reasons. change and im confused on what to do with life so the navy might help.

anyone here have experience in the navy that can tell me about it, and if its worth it.

My friend who is studying to become an electrical engineer said the navy came into class to recruit one day. Apparently, if you sign up they will pay for your schooling + ~40k a year, for six years, but you then have to stay in the navy for 9 years. Im sure you have to maintain a certain level of performance, but still sounds like a good deal.

Id say try to get into University before enlisting...there are probably better opportunities for educated personnel.

...but I just realized this may be irrelevant because I'm in canada.

I have been thinking about joining the navy for personal reasons. change and im confused on what to do with life so the navy might help.

anyone here have experience in the navy that can tell me about it, and if its worth it.

My stepbrother did 4 years in the Navy and I understand that he enjoyed it. The experience helped him land a decent job when he got out. The difference was, he was not confused when he joined, he knew exactly what he wanted out of life.

I am not against joining the armed forces, but doing it BECAUSE you're confused may not be a great decision. It is a huge commitment and you can't just quit if you decide it isn't for you.

My advice is, figure out what you're confused about and solve that problem FIRST. If you still feel the urge to enlist, then do it.

Good luck.