• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] The green dragon thread- alcohol extracts and tinctures

(edit:sorry didnt realize there was a megathread, posting in the right place!)

I've got a lot of free time on my hands this week and I'm in the mood for a project, so I've decided to try and make green dragon. I thought maybe I would brew it with a twist however, combining love of coffee and cannabis.

Has anyone here ever cold-brewed coffee before? It seems pretty simple
http://www.caffination.com/food-n-co...d-coffee-2391/

Apparently its also easy/tasty to take this recipe, and substitute water for vodka (or other liquor), making a cold brewed coffee liquor
http://www.thefoodinmybeard.com/2009...red-vodka.html

What I was thinking of was preheating an 1/8 of buds in the oven low temp, then combining that with high proof liquor (either highest proof vodka or 151) and ground coffee. This mixture would then sit in my fridge for a long period of time (1-2 weeks?) aside from my occasional shaking.

Does anyone see any problems with this method/have any tips? What is the consensus on temperature for pre-heating buds for green dragon prep?

Why keep it in the fridge? I would leave it out, it wont dissolve as fast at a lower temperature and it'll take up space.
(edit:sorry didnt realize there was a megathread, posting in the right place!)
Don't worry about it.

Cannabis Tinctures

Recently tried making a cannabis tincture using 9 grams of mids and 4 oz of 190 proof Everclear. I put the mid in the oven on 325 f for 5 minutes and then placed it in a mason jar with the Everclear and simmered it around water for 25 minutes.

I put the tincture into 3 different amber colored dropper bottles and then squeezed out one teaspoon of liquid. Drank the tincture with able juice. I have a pretty high tolerance because I have recently been smoking down with a few buddies on some dank weed. I got sort of a body buzz from the tincture but no true blazed out high which I was expecting to get from it.

Now, I am considering just using the regular waiting method of making a tincture. Probably going to get an 1/8th of some dank and place it into 2 oz of Everclear for 2-3 weeks. However, should I just some of the already made green tincture fluid that isn't really potent or would it contribute to a poor extraction of the new danker weed?

Also, if you have any suggestions or tried and true methods of making tinctures I would greatly appreciate them...

Crockpot

A crockpot. Get one.

You can get your previous weak batch, and pour it all into the crockpot after you have soaked in solution for a couple weeks with the new batch. Then put the crockpot on low and let the alcohol evaporate down to 50% original size or whatever desired amount/potency you are going after. Don't filter the solution with herb until AFTER you have reduced via crockpot. Save the filtering for last.

Made my first tincture about a week ago. Described the method and process I used to do it in my last post two post up. Used mid in that batch and didn't really get the desired potency I was looking for.

Yesterday, I made a new batch using 3 oz of Everclear to 4 grams of higher quality buds. With my first step this time I set the oven at 150 f and cooked the buds for 10 minutes opening the oven for 10 seconds and then cranking the temperature up to 200 f and cooking five more minutes and then airing for another 10 seconds and then baking for another 5 minutes.

Next, I finely ground the buds up to a powdery consistency and placed the powder into the 4 oz of Everclear and heated the mixture in a mason jar in a pan of 1-2 inch water on the stove. Kept it at around a temperature of 163-167 f for around 40 minutes.

Afterwards, let it sit in jarred mason jar from 9:00 pm yesterday to 2:30 pm today. Strained through a paper towel into another mason jar. Let overs looked very brown and pasty in appearance. Should have snapped a photo. Probably still can.

2 hours ago I took 1/2 tablespoon of tincture in 12 oz of cranberry juice. I was feeling the buzz 15 minutes in and the overall high in around one hour. I have a pretty high tolerance though so I can only imagine...

Made my first tincture about a week ago. Described the method and process I used to do it in my last post two post up. Used mid in that batch and didn't really get the desired potency I was looking for.

Yesterday, I made a new batch using 3 oz of Everclear to 4 grams of higher quality buds. With my first step this time I set the oven at 150 f and cooked the buds for 10 minutes opening the oven for 10 seconds and then cranking the temperature up to 200 f and cooking five more minutes and then airing for another 10 seconds and then baking for another 5 minutes.

Next, I finely ground the buds up to a powdery consistency and placed the powder into the 4 oz of Everclear and heated the mixture in a mason jar in a pan of 1-2 inch water on the stove. Kept it at around a temperature of 163-167 f for around 40 minutes.

Afterwards, let it sit in jarred mason jar from 9:00 pm yesterday to 2:30 pm today. Strained through a paper towel into another mason jar. Let overs looked very brown and pasty in appearance. Should have snapped a photo. Probably still can.

2 hours ago I took 1/2 tablespoon of tincture in 12 oz of cranberry juice. I was feeling the buzz 15 minutes in and the overall high in around one hour. I have a pretty high tolerance though so I can only imagine...

Update Edit: Took a tablespoon of this new mixture. Was almost too intense at one point. Felt great coming up and was really chill coming down off of it but it was one heck of a peak.

Last edited:
next time, try freezing your buds first too, then defrost them. I think i remember something about it in year 9 biology, where it breaks down the cell walls, making it easier to extract.

Hey guys i was wondering if this method is any better than baked edibles or the same?
and will it work with likke 70 or 80 proof????????????????????????????????????????????

Heythats-- You're exactly right; I did just that, and got good results

Treefa-- It's more reliable to dose than most edibles, I find at least. It still takes about 2 hours to come up, but you can properly titrate your dose a lot more easily. Anything less than 90% ethanol will take a LOT longer to extract; you can speed it up by gently heating in a warm water bath, but most people who use lower alcohol content solvents get good results when they let it sit at room temp for a few weeks.

Vader directed me here, since I misposted in the extractions megathread (sorry about that), so I thought that I'd share my thoughts.

I've had about an eighth or so of decent herb sitting in my freezer for the last few months. My lungs have gotten quite touchy lately so I haven't been able to smoke, and I find that the anxiety has made it a lot less fun. Recently though, I've thought of trying a tincture, and lo and behold there were published methods online just waiting! So this was a trial run, and if it were to have worked I would consider making a larger batch.

The method I used was pretty well the same as the published one:
  • Break up the plant matter as small as possible and heat at 310F for about 10 minutes to decarboxylate
  • Transfer to a glass container (I used a 100 mL mini mason jar) containing around 75 mL 95% ethanol (i.e. everclear)
  • Seal and let sit for a couple of hours
  • Filter and enjoy!

I opted to do an extended extraction over about 3.5 hours rather than heating in a water bath more out of laziness than anything else, and I had the time any way. Also, I wasn't super concerned about getting every last drop of actives out of the plant, as this was just a trial run.

One thing that I did do a bit differently was that I filtered under pressure since I happened to have an aeropress handy. The benefit of this is that I was able to easily and quickly push the vast majority of the solvent through the filter, thus losing as little as possible to evaporation and paper wetting. This time around I just did a triple layer of coffee filters, but I think that I'll get proper analytical papers if/when I do a larger batch. The aeropress also made it very easy to do a quick rinse of the plants, to get any residual extract off the surface. I'd really recommend checking out aeropress if one plans on doing this sort of thing a few times; plus it does make a killer cup of joe!

So, my final volume worked out to around 80 mL of dark green, crystal clear liquid from about 3.5 g of plant matter. I tried 1 mL last night, and got a mild but pleasant buzz with no real anxiety. Will try 2 mL next weekend and see how it goes, but I think that this will be an excellent way to consume this lovely substance without hurting my lungs. Plus, I'm thinking that I might try my hand at making homemade breath strips (or at least some hard candies) to help facilitate sublingual dosing.

As a final word: don't try sublingual dosing with the straight tincture. The tissue under the tongue is very delicate, and the straight ethanol burns quite a bit.

I've already started making my green dragon, but have only just found out about decarboxylation :( I have about 4g of bud in a 70cl bottle of 57% rum, will regularly the bottle in a sink filled with hot, but not boiling, water be enough heat for this or will I have to get it more hot, or is it simply too late? The bud started out dry so maybe it has already decarboxylated a bit?

While I could heat it up in the middle of the night, it would be a lot easier for me to just leave the bottle in a sink of hot water if this will slowly carry out the process

Created a thread for this, then realized my question most likely can fit in just fine here.

I obtained a gram or so of BHO wax. I have a pretty low tolerance but I love hash. Along with smoking it, I have consumed some quick hash yogurts (heat in olive oil for a minute or two, dump in yogurt). I am wondering if I can drop a single oral dose of hash into a very small amount of high proof liquor (everclear maybe) could I make a dose or two of tincture quickly?

Anyone have any experience with this? How long would it take for the THC to disperse into the liquor? Basically, how quickly would I be able to drink this mix and feel effects? How long would I have to let the hash dissolve? Are we talking days or are we talking hours? I know with green dragon, you are supposed to leave the buds in the alcohol for at least a month or two I believe.

Some questions about making Green Dragon someone please help!!!

Okay so I wanted to make some killer green dragon, monies no object here I just want the best :\.

The thing is I don't want to get drunk off the mixture, I only want drinkable weed for the body buzz so what I wanna know is A) can I use 40% alcohol and B) whats the maximum amount of THC that can go into the booze? like if I was to strain the spent weed and put some new weed into it after its finished, would it extract more THC out of the new weed or would it already be too full and waste it.:?8(

Any answers would be greatly appreciated by me and my sexy little blond girlfriend will love your for it. :D

I never made this stuff myself but what I can tell you is that you won't get any effects without heating the cannabis first to decarboxylate that shit. Easiest thing is to get some ghee (clarified butter) in a saucepan and simmer that stuff up with the nug in it, then strain it through some cheesecloth and you'll be left with active cannabis fat to spread on your toast or baked potato or whatever.

Last edited:
Dude look up green dragon its a recipe people say they get high off it, like I didn't ask for an answer that didn't answer my questions I need constructive, useful answers here. I already know how to make weed butter for baking or w.e and woulda made that if I wanted it lol..... so with that in mind, can anyone help??

Last edited:
Get some 151 if your state doesnt allow true Everclear, you want a strong alcohol solution. We dried out hash in the oven (decarb and to dry it up a bit for easier crumbling mixing) and shook it twice a day for a little over 2 weeks. I dunno why but even a single shot would get me booze buzzed slightly, the weed buzz was more pronounced though.