MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

I have 2 of the finals made that I'll give to 2 of my classes and I still need to come up with another final.

Being a teacher rules.

my petrology professor told us a week ago that we would have a 4 page paper to write instead of an in class or take home final. then on monday, at the last minute (last day of actual classes), he up and decided to have a lab final today, which was supposed to be 2 hours and ended up being 5. :X

wow that's pretty bad.

some teachers astound me with their flakiness. its hard enough for kids to do well in a class if the material is hard but if they don't know what to expect in terms of assignments and so forth its 10x worse.

it wasn't bad, really, it's more of less the inconvenience. i had my week all planned out last week of what to work on when. then when i was there 3 more hours than expected today, it really threw my day off. oh well. i, hopefully, won't have him again. it's been a long 3 semesters with him. :\

Two finals left and I will be done. I already received an A in my honors communication course and an A- in my honors 395 seminar.

The 395 class kind of pissed me off though. I received two A-'s on my first two papers and an A on the final paper (which was twice as long as the first two papers) and I still didn't get a full A. Oh well, I only need one more honors class to graduate from the honors program.

i had my final on wednesday. i got an 82- which is a "C" in the nursing program. bah!

i got a 'b' in the class and i'm free for the next fucking 3 weeks!

thank god!

94...just like fucking hhigh school.

during our last semester, your average must be an 80 or higher.

strange...no one wants a "bottom of the barrel" RN! :D

My Anatomy&Physiology I and II finals were 2/3's of the final grade, made a B+ in A&P I and and C in A&P II. Combined, I probably studied for 20 hours for them. God damn those were hard. It kind of pisses me off that many people took the "same classes" at Tech during the summer and got credit same credit I did, probably with higher grades. I studied for my history of Islam final for like a few hours and made an easy A in that class.

I'm now switching from nursing to psychology, I should finish my undergrad by the end of 2009. I was was only one class short of completing all my nursing course credits, and only needed 5 other credits to be done with all of the credits. I'm pretty sure that the Anat&Phys and nursing credits will help when applying for a PsyD later on. Hopefully I can pull off straight A's on my psychology credits, I have A's in my 3 psychology courses, with one in a 400 level class and one in a 500 level class (the highest level for undergrad). Plus I should meet all the requirements for the School of Arts and Sciences...(/basically trying to tell myself that the last 2.5 years of school weren't a waste).

If you're that close to the end why the switch? Just turned off by the program?

I'm currently in the BN program, for us an A+ is 94, an A is 85. I think we had like 1 A+ out of 60 kids.

At one point I looked around my classes and realized that I didn't really want to work with most of these people. Sometimes I would feel like an intruder, but mostly I would just feel singled out, being a quiet straight male. The freshman class now has a lot more dudes like me, though. The main reason was my goal of becoming a nurse anesthetist became less achievable after taking Anat&Phys I and II. A&P II is probably the hardest class reccomended for any sophomore or junior to take (at least at my school because of the teacher, who by the way is no longer teaching that class the year after I take it, argh), and even though I passed...I know NA school would be much more diffucult. I have to question if that's what I really want to do. If I have to force myself to be interested in the classes, will I really enjoy the work?

I kicked ass in all my psych classes and felt good about all the teachers and students. Well there was this one time during my very first semester, when the teacher tried to embarass me because I had my hand on my chin in the "thinker" pose, he must have thought I was trying to analyze him or some shit. I responded by not showing up to any more classes but making A's on all tests, and being one of the kids who didn't bug him about extra credit the whole time. I think I got his respect by the end of the course haha.

Last edited:
If you're that close to the end why the switch? Just turned off by the program?

I'm currently in the BN program, for us an A+ is 94, an A is 85. I think we had like 1 A+ out of 60 kids.

remind me when i'm done with my ADN to come to your school and snag that bachelor's.

i dunno if it's different when getting your bachelor's degree, but i think nearly all of our students have completed a&p I and II and micro. and such before starting the program. then again, our program is super limited (waiting list, etc.) and so the more classes you have done when you apply, the more likely you are to get in.

p.s. where were you guys when i started a thread about nursing school?!

I live in Canada so things are probably different.

anatomy and phys are done in first year as is mucro and some other mickey mouse stuff. Then you apply to the program after that year. We have a waiting list too, not everyone who applies gets in, but as long as you have at least a B average (3.0) and have done all the prereqs it's no problem. There's lots to fo in my program but nothing really hard to master. I've done honours level science in micro/immunology/virology before taking the BN so the concepts are so much easier. But even then getting abouve a 4.0 is tough. A 4.0 at my school is equivalent to a 3.8 at schools that run out of 4.0 instead of 4.5

i dunno if it's different when getting your bachelor's degree, but i think nearly all of our students have completed a&p I and II and micro. and such before starting the program. then again, our program is super limited (waiting list, etc.) and so the more classes you have done when you apply, the more likely you are to get in.

Do you mean that you have to complete all those requirements (A&P, Micro, nursing classes like nutrition/pathophysiology/etc), and then apply to the final two year part of the program? At my school, all of those general requirements are done in the first two years (ideally), called 'lower division', then if you progress, you can apply to 'upper-division', which is the final two years. Upper division is pretty competitive, but you onle need to maintain a 2.7 to progress through lower division.

Advisors at my school's nursing college suck, because they make you take all of the hard classes the year before applying to upper division. They should split them up, so that you take A&P I your first semester of freshman year, then A&P II your second semester, etc. I know we make our own schedules, but some kids really trust advisors. Why give some of them false hope all throughout freshman year, and then give them the tough classes when they might feel they are in too deep?

Most of my teachers use 100-90 A, 89-80 B, 79-70 C, and I forget what the minumum for a D is. B+, C+, and D+ are also possible for the extra .5 (a B+ is 3.5 towards your GPA). Some teachers followed the scale actually reccomended by the College of Nursing and used 100-93 is an A, then I forget after that. One of my teachers used that scale, and even though I got a 91, I received a B, not even a B+. I wouldn't care so much if another kid couldn't take some other teacher and get an A for a 91, in the same damn class. Inconsistencies like that piss me off but hey, what can ya do.

So how did the finals go? =))) If someone is yet to have them, good luck =)

B+ in clinical (no final), A+ in one course, A's in the rest, waiting to hear back on the last one.