• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Strain Discussion- 3rd Backcross *ALL STRAIN TALK IN HERE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to add that a much better way of classifying your plants instead of indica/sativa is to use hashish and ganja strains. Hashish strains are selectively bred to produce hashish and have traits conducive to the hash making process, such as the correct trichome tenacity, highly resinous plants etc. Ganja plants are selectively bred for producing bud solely. Because of their characteristics they are comparatively not so good for producing hashish. The two strains I mentioned above, Mazar-I-Sharif and Lebanese, from Afghanist and Lebanon respectively are hashish strains but other landrace strains that I actually happen to have such as Mango Thai, are ganja strains and are usually used by farmers to just produce bud instead of charas (hash). The ganja strains are generally more potent and unlike the hashish strains, do not usually contain the CBD allele. Instead they usually breed true for the THC allele alone and as a result seem more potent to the person smoking it, they do not have a ceiling of effect and have a psychedelic and soaring high. Because the charas strains have the CBD allele, 1/4 are pure THC, 1/2 are 1:1 THC:CBD, and 1/4 are CBD. The 1/4 CBD plants if smoked on their own would have little effect and wouldn't get you high. Conversely the pure THC plants would have no ceiling and would be more like the ganja plants and finally the THC:CBD plants would have an effect but would seem less potent and also would have a ceiling. However to the farmers and the end users smoking the hash/charas this makes absolutely no difference because during production all the plants are mixed together and as such you get an effect of there being an average of all the plants which would be similar to there being just the THC:CBD plants being used.

Because plants that are THC:CBD heterozygous seem less potent and have a ceiling effect, breeders selecting plants that appear more potent when smoked will unconcsiously breed the CBD allele out in favour of high THC plants. This is why virtually all modern hybrids lack the CBD allele. Unfortunately it happens to be the case that CBD has very useful medicinal properties and appears to be useful even to people suffering from depression and a whole host of physical and mental complaints. Luckily there are some landraces still available that are a source of high CBD plants and there is a range of THC:CBD plants that are being sold by the 'CBD Crew' (most are sold out already I think).

The reason that so called indica strains often have more of a sedative effect is not because they have the CBD allele (which 99% of the time the indica strains offered by breeders do not have) but is because of their terpene profile and other compounds present in the plants. The idea that CBD gives sedative qualities to the plant is just a myth that has been parroted throughout the cannabis community but it's completely wrong.

Last edited:
In California, we have great cannabis strains that are great for making hash, or hash oil and/or whipped BHO (wax! <3) or dehydrated BHO with. :)

I understand what you're saying though, that the hash strains are much higher in CBD than strains of weed we normally smoke out here. :) I just feel the full indica concentrates (like Popeye OG Wax <3) is enough CBD for the Cpt. %)

But almost 25% CBD? Wow that's an amazing yield AE. I'd love to put that quality hash in my bowl and light her up. :D

Another confessional: I don't even use my ash catcher anymore, unless I smoke hash. I haven't smoked weed in days.

Oh no, sorry I must have been a bit confusing. I meant that if you were to take say 1000 charas plants, 250 of them (25% ) would be near 100% CBD and very little THC, 50% would have 50%/50% of THC/CBD and 25% would be near 100% THC. So if you were to make hash out of all the plants and mix them together you would have (overall) 50% THC and 50% CBD. Although this would make the hash seem a bit less potent and would give it a ceiling so that it appears that if you were to smoke beyond a certain point it wouldn't get you anymore high, the high would feel subjectively clearer and more centred and you would be less paranoid and anxious. It would also have better medicinal properties making it more useful for medical MJ patients like yourself I believe. Most people simply have never smoked such hashish before so they have no concept of what it's like to smoke such hash. I would definitely recommend it though.

There are certain strains that are used for hash (charas) that we as westerners would call 'sativa' but which have the CBD allele and produce this sort of hash containing CBD. There are not very many people supplying the seeds of such strains but the real seed company is one of them that I use. World of Seeds do landrace seeds but I'm a bit skeptical about their origin since they offer them in feminized form, meaning they must have messed around with them rather than collecting them from their source of origin and then supplying them as is. I wouldn't dismiss them off hand because they do offer landrace seeds in regular form so I would personally like to try them out and give them the benefit of the doubt because some of the strains do look pretty good. Seedsman also do a few landrace strains I believe. They do one Thai strain in particular that looks really good, and a couple of African landrace strains that look great as well. I'd love to do their 'African Power' strain.

These landrace seeds are basically the building blocks from which all the modern hybrids are constructed from so it's interesting to grow them out for future breeding projects to create something new that nobody has created before.

By the way you can do testing on your strains at home for CBD and THC using thin layer chromatography. You can collect all the bits needed to do the testing quite cheaply if you know where to look. Using this sort of test you can identify each of the three genotypes mentioned.

Last edited:
Oh no, sorry I must have been a bit confusing.
OH... 25% of the plants would be near 100% CBD? Wow! That's incredible. Sorry, I understand you better now. That's even cooler that there would still be 50% plants with a nice even split, and then 25% with almost 100% THC, that leaves for a great harvest of all different varieties! =D That would be some amazing waxes, hashes, etc... *dreams* :D

AE way to handle your head, man. Your groovy detailed explanation had me all kinds of blown away, man. I didn't know ANY of that shit! Problem is I won't remember it, but right now, I'm tripping the fuck out on the hash and the ganga and what the fuck is CBG?

AE do you teach?

I don't teach but I have an interest in cannabis and breeding in general, so this sort of thing fascinates me.

CBG? Do you mean CBD (cannabidiol) or CBG as in cannabigerol?

I don't teach but I have an interest in cannabis and breeding in general, so this sort of thing fascinates me.

CBG? Do you mean CBD (cannabindol) or CBD as in cannabigerol?

I'm sure she means CBD as in cannabidiol.

A quick run down...

500px-Tetrahydrocannabinol.svg.png

delta 9 THC, your main active ingredient in cannabis that we smoke Ugly.

640px-Cannabidiol.png

Cannabidiol; the antagonist in marijuana. It antagonizes some of THC's effects, but not all of it. The CBD also synergizes with THC in some ways; causing a greater body high (similar to that of opiates, whereas strong sativas are nothing like that).

500px-11-OH-THC.svg.png

11-OH-THC (oh=hydroxy)

This is the active ingredient of edibles; as the THC will convert to 11-OH-THC before effecting you. %)

Enjoy the edibles/smokeables.

There is some REALLY good reading in here! but it belongs in the mega thread for strain discussion.

So off you go! Merging with Strain Discussion.

Thank you Captain.
You answered my question quite nicely.:)

After seeing what Female seeds 'Bubblegummer' looks like after a member on another board grew it out, I just have to get that strain, especially since you can't really get cheaper than what they're selling it for. Really it's not that much more than the cost of a pack of F1 tomato seeds can cost, it's great. Apparently the bubblegum smell really does come through in some phenotypes:

NSFW:
index.php

NSFW:
index.php

Gonna be doing a small, stealthy wardrobe grow-op. I'll start them out in soil but probably move them to an ebb 'n' flow or drip feed system for flowering at the latest. 2-3 vegging, then into flower.

Got only 2 seeds, both seem to be sprouting - Soma's Lavender and Cali Connection Headband.%)

After seeing what Female seeds 'Bubblegummer' looks like after a member on another board grew it out, I just have to get that strain, especially since you can't really get cheaper than what they're selling it for. Really it's not that much more than the cost of a pack of F1 tomato seeds can cost, it's great. Apparently the bubblegum smell really does come through in some phenotypes:

NSFW:
index.php

NSFW:
index.php

Wow that strain looks great. I love the silver like color it gets ! Must tastes great too :)

I am considering one day taking a trip to the Emerald Triangle in the US to hook up with a medical card holder and paying them to get a hold of a load of really good clone-only strains not available in seed form. I would post it back to myself and fly back to the UK and grow them as soon as they arrive.

edit: so pleased, I just got my seeds in the post (with freebies!). I got Royal Purple Kush, Super Lemon Haze, Ceres White Indica, Blue Venom, Power Kush, Satori and Ceres Northern Lights x Skunk. Can't wait to grow them out!

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3924_59143.jpg

Coming from the triangle, I gotta say it could happen for you but you might want to stay a while. The really good clones are kept very close and it takes a couple years to work your way into any circles in humboldt, mendo and trinity. Your best bet is to go on craigslist up in eureka and arcata, there will be several dank clones available at any time and up there it would be rare for the seller to insist on seeing a med card. You can just buy a tray off clones of craigslist if you want. But then you gotta drive out to the bay area or inland cali to mail them, all the mail from those places is heavily screened. Good luck and you won't want to leave that place if you do ever get to experience it.

if a high gives very little mental clarity and more of a paranoia,body stone and

cloudiness and disorientation,is it your mindset?or is it the strain?i just got this kind of high...nothing too fun,but kinda heavy depressing and sluggish...

anyway,i'm kinda disappointed with the high i got,last time i got a bunch euphoria,some creativiyt,and laughter...and this was a week ago,today i got what i mentioned above but it was suddenly intense (kinda speedy i guess)then crawled down to a depressing comedown....keep in mind i quit using synths about 3 weeks ago..

Sounds like marijuana to me, people get over caught up in the strain and species.

Sounds like marijuana to me, people get over caught up in the strain and species.

oh i got stoned,just not as much as last time which was a euphorically funny good time,this one was kinda like blah...intense at points than a depressingass comedown

Status
Not open for further replies.