MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

Study the business/company/organization and think of questions to ask teh interviewer.

As someone said, don't fall asleep. I've fallen asleep myself several times during two interviews due to change of timezone and jet lag. I was still offered one of the jobs, but it hurt me for the other job. I think I snored that time, and I didn't get an offer.

When you remove the IV or if you miss the attempt then I would take the time to apply pressure to the sight for two minutes or so. This should eliminate almost all the bruising. I would also consider heating the hands in some fashion, hot compress, or submerge them in hot water for periods. This will increase blood flow which will reduce the time it takes to clean up the bruises and injection wounds pretty significantly.

I've been doing the pressure, most of the time. Sometimes I don't for the failures, just because when I'm still feeling confident I want to just go for it and I am not ok leaving the failure needles in my hand when doing that. The worst bruising seems to be a bit random though, I've had successful ones bruise badly after putting pressure on them. I will try out the heating more than I have. I think I got discouraged too quickly when I wasn't noticing results after doing it a few times. Thanks!

Assess the situation and if it seems like they are looking at them and may be up for some humor just make joke out of it and say “oh don’t mind my hands, i shoot heroin into them!.... ba dum tis!” They will probably think you have some medical condition and are just embarrassed and trying to be humorous about it.

Haha they should make a sitcom about heroin addicts. So many funny moments

I tried out some studio fx foundation and cheaper setting powder. The sales person thought the concealer would be too much. I thought it would wear off too easily, but the stuff stays put! I'll have to fiddle with it myself when my hands look bad to learn to get the right coverage, but I think I can do a decent job.

Do I have to relocate for a new job?

Hi everyone,
I am new to bluelight.
I've lived in east coast US for 15 years, have a Ph.D. degree in chemical engineering area.
Lost my job several months ago. Recently got a job offer in my field in TX, a small company.
It's just hard for me to relocate that far for a job, but a job is better than jobless.
As long as I can make a living, anything, cashier, waitress, sales person, in the east coast, I would choose not to move. But I am the nerd type, only worked in university or companies, haven't ever tried those jobs and really doubt if those will work for me.
Considering the high relocation cost which the company will only cover some, I am still thinking if this relocation is worthwhile, especially I plan to ultimately move back to the east coast.
Any suggestions?

Interesting choice of forum to sign up on to ask this sort of question, this is mostly a drug use harm reduction forum with a couple side off-topic boards like this "Community" one, usually for people who are already signed up on BL to have a place to talk about something OTHER than drugs for a change....but hey, who am I to judge, I'm sure it happens. The other confusing part is that you say you have a Ph.D. in chemical engineering which is NOTHING to sneeze at and takes years and years and years of hard work, dedication, education, not to mention the cost of such an education....and yet you say you'd be totally OK working as a cashier just so you don't have to move? Why did you lose your job, out of curiosity?

Sorry to seem dickish, I don't mean to be rude, this forum (obviously) has a big problem with people getting high/drunk and then just fucking off all around the forum just 'cause they can. You can understand why I am being skeptical about your question, it just doesn't seem like a reasonable trade-off to consider throwing away a Ph.D. just so you don't have to relocate. I have a degree in computer science and graphic design and you bet your bottom dollar I have already, and will again relocate for the sake of my career.

Either way, welcome! If you're legit, you'll find lots of good info here.

Thanks for your reply. I accidentally found this website by google "obsession time", had no idea that this is mainly drug related website.
I never used drug, I have been a very conservative nerd type person, not until several years ago started using light alcohol.
This might be the opposite end of drug using, i.e. over suppression. As to the reason I lost my last job, I was laid off by a large company. Not happy there anyway. No passion for my career anymore. I did invest huge into the Ph.D degree, working day and night and over the weekends in lab, publishing high impact papers. But I have suffered from chronicle depression which made me un-energetic, no passion, miserable, most of the time.
I don't want to see doctor for depression, and I don't think it's curable by them. I just want to keep living by means that are not too hard.

Last edited:
A fellow engineer, huh? I knew a few chemical engineers who were nerdy and also into marijuana and psychedelics. I got my undergrad in engineering as well. Hated it. Went to grad school for a PhD in neuroscience which I really enjoy, especially quantitative aspects like biophysics and pharmacology. I can actually use some of my engineering background for it. Part of my interest in this field is a result of my interest in entheogen-type drugs. I can also really relate to the huge investment of time into getting the degree. 80 hours per week in the lab is minimum.

My understanding is that th efield of chemical engineering is SATURATED with an over abundance of chemical and chem E graduates. Add to that the thousands of H1Bs who are competing for your job. There's nothing wrong with relocating. I've done it as a postdoc. Depending on your situation, you might have to. Ask your new boss if he/she might help with moving expenses. If all you need is to rent a UHaul, it shouldn't be too bad or stressful.

As for chronic depression, it's possible that depression is a normal response to a situation you're unhappy with. Maybe getting a fresh start by taking a new job will help.

Thanks for your reply. I might have to relocate even if it's stressful. I am hiring moving company and will pay huge bucks of early termination fee to the apartment. My new employer may only cover part of that, as they are small company. Hope I will work there long enough to earn this money back. It's a hard time to do all the packing and moving arrangement, leaving the place I've lived for so many years, heading for the unknown.
Your positive words are encouraging. I am hoping the new environment will make me happier.

Last edited:
I've hired movers before. It's easier, but try to get a good estimate first. Have them do a walk-through of your apartment, or you might end up being charged 10x more than you expected. Another alternative would be to put everything in storage, especially if you don't think you'll be there long. I say this because I've just put my own belongings into storage because I'm taking a job overseas starting in a few weeks. My new employer will pay for some of my moving expenses -- flight, and a few small crates, but everything else will be too expensive if I don't stay there permanently.

Thanks for your useful information. The moving companies I quoted won't come on site to do the estimation. I told them the items to move as exactly as I could. It's great for you to keep calm and optimistic on relocation. I agree that it's a nice thing to try different things, jobs, living places while young, before one knows what he/she really likes. Good luck to you on your new job!

Thanks, good luck to you too!

It's typical for them not to come and do a walk through. Did they have you fill out a room-by-room inventory upon which they based the estimate? I own a lot of books and electronics which weren't accounted for on the questionnaire. They drastically increased my weight and quadrupled my moving cost.

Yes, I did fill out the inventory form. They didn't ask for books, so I counted them in boxes. I have a digital piano and a TV, told them already, not many other electronics. The quote was already several thousand bucks, cannot imagine it goes higher. That's part of the reason I hate moving, could be traps everywhere!

I'm not in your field, but I do know the stress of moving for sure.

I moved for my career, cross country. I'll probably do it again in future. I've become so much more adaptable over time and space... I live an extremely free and spacious life after the significant effort I made. It definitely sucked, but being mobile has served me quite effectively.

Best of luck and courage to you. Yes, if this is what you want, it can, assuredly, be done. Do you have friends or networks that can assist you in this regard? I found that to be the best of all. Be well.

Thanks for your positive words.
I know friends changing job every couple of years, moving across country multiple times. I always admire the passion and energy they have, but like you said, moving makes them more adaptable, and probably it's a good thing to do, to see more places and experience different culture.
I'm getting a lot of encouragement from family, friends and this board so I'm not feeling that bad.
Austin is a nice city, who knows, maybe I will forget about everything here and love that city.

Think of it as a new opportunity / page in your life! I'd do it in a heartbeat, even though I hate hot temperatures (Texas, ugh)

I really love this scene:

Best of luck!!!

Thank you all for the encouragement. Yes, it's time to burn some of the memories instead of carrying those for the rest of my life, I will not even call them memories, but dreams.
The heat in TX is extreme! Thank God summer is over, the winter will be milder, I don't have to shovel the snow any more.