• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Indica vs. Sativa

i've had great experiences with pure sativa, but it seems to be much more rare and less versatile. i'd love to have it more often, but i also really enjoy the analgesia and relaxation of the indica-dominant strains i usually get. when i need something a little bit more up for exercise/day-time, i just use the vape (and a little coffee/red bull).

Medical information states that it is Sativa that keeps you clear headed, quite the contrary, Indica is a relaxant with euphoric affect which can impaire short-term memory and causes slowed learning and Sativa a stimulant (sativa plant is so called "cerebral" or "high", less strong than an indica on the body and with a more pronounced effect on the brain).

(If we compare it with a wine, and Indica is an heavy red one).
(Indica....higher CBD than THC equals heavier, sleepy type of high).

(If we compare it with a wine, a sativa is the champagne of cannabis).
(Sativa....higher THC than CBD equals cerebral, soaring type of high, more energetic Yield is usually lower than Indica, but is very potent)

Thank you for correcting me. Weed is not my speciality drug. Though, I like to be informed and educated on all drugs....

I think what tripped me up is the fact that so many strains are hybrids today. It's tough to separate indica/sativa.

Tomer

^You are quite welcome Tomer, others correct me when I'm wrong, the only way we correct our thoughts so it does not confuse others' learning!

When you hate the high of indica, the difference isn't quite as subtle.

Placebo effects don't happen to me. Real drugs have failed to even give me a placebo effect let alone their normal one. I also did not have "indica vs sativa" explained to me until I had been smoking weed for quite a while, and had already figured out by experience which of those varieties I preferred.

I hate HATE the body high if it's too strong. Drugs to me are all about altering my thought patterns and mood. The body high I see as merely a tolerable side effect of the weed. I like to go with sativa to maximize the things I like about weed. Some people get anxiety from too much head high. It's the opposite for me. My mind is strong and my body weaker.

Not to say my post has any demonstrable validity or anything, but it's just important to point out that just because you don't know a scientific way of explaining the difference between indica and sativa, and you can't notice the difference, it doesn't mean everyone who claims otherwise is under the placebo effect. Not for sure anyway. That's just as unverifiable as posts like this one, talking about personal experiences.

I used to enjoy both Indica and Sativa but I do not always like how Sativas can make one go into bad anxiety if they get it.

For how many members are talking shit about how basic this subject is, it is fairly clear to me that most of the ADD heads here are not serious marijuana smokers....For anyone claiming that the only active is THC, please get your head checked.....So to put it quite simply folks, it is not just THC. Get over it.

To take it one step further I have personally identified genetic components in blind taste tests very accurately time and time again. The subjective effects of a haze or afghanni influence are undeniable and generally rather predictable. - theWorldWithin

I also did not have "indica vs sativa" explained to me until I had been smoking weed for quite a while, and had already figured out by experience which of those varieties I preferred....just because you don't know a scientific way of explaining the difference between indica and sativa, and you can't notice the difference, it doesn't mean everyone who claims otherwise is under the placebo effect. - Mikachu

^^^ I totally agree with these guys, not necessarily about every claim made, but I just can't fathom how anyone couldn't notice the different characteristics between the highs of different strains. I've read opinions of many of the best breeders in the world, and the opinions of people who would be considered to be experts in the same way someone can be an expert on the nuances of wines, and all of them report noticible differences. I've smoked pot for 14 years on and off, at one time several times a day for about 5 years straight. Also, I have several close aquaintances who have had thier medical marijuana licenses for some time, who I would consider expert growers and breeders. For people who say they can't notice the difference, I would venture to speculate that you have not ordered pure strains from a reputable breeder and compared them. Perhaps you have only had sativa/indica mixes, etc. Like Mikachu, I noticed major differences in the strains that I smoked long before I even knew there were different types.
I've also tried thc pills, and eaten various strains, and at least to me they seem quite different. I agree that anecdotal evidence can not be used to "prove" anything, but much of our understanding of the mind and how it works relies on descriptions of things that are difficult to quantify, such as emotions. Take studies on the efficacy of anti-depressants: Double blind studies are conducted; placebos;questionaires; etc. But ultimately those doing the research simply ask about the subjective effects and observations of the patient involved in the study. Yes we know SSRI's inhibit the reuptake of serotonin for example, but subtle and sometimes even obvious qualitative differences between the effects of various drugs can not be explained using our current understanding of the brain. It is doubtfull that we have even discovered all of the neurotransmitters naturally occuring in our bodies; and researchers and scientists alike are regulary confronted and baffeled by unexpected and often inexplicable effects drugs have on the mind. Though mass belief in fallacies and wide-spread misinformation plagues the world of drugs, I think in this case it would be utterly foolish to discount the observations of so many people. Though I'm not aware of any scientific studies directly addressing the question of sativa vs. indica, blind tests of various strains are made by thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people every year around the globe at all the various cannabis cups and events in the pot-community.

thc is more uplifting which is found more in sativa. cbn and cbd and others are more present in indica strains resulting in a more stoney high. hybrids are grown to have the characteristics of both

I probably prefer indicas overall, preferably sativas during the day and indicas to wind down.

I find if i smoke strong sativas constantly I just feel tense and on edge and almost like i'm wired. I am prone to anxiety so that may be why.

Indica or Sativa?

Do you like to smoke Indica strains or Sativa strains? How Come?

Sativa. Indica just seems to give me a slight vision lag and makes me feel stuck to the couch. Sativa gives me this imaginative head high where everything feels like an adventure, plus it doesnt wear you out so u cant run around

i prefer indica dominant strains that give that strong couch-lock feeling. not surprisingly, i love opiates and benzos but HATE HATE HATE stimulants (cocaine, speed, etc.) and pretty much have no use for sativa-dominant strains.

no matter how strong the sativa or indica, i can't compare them to uppers or downers because cannabis (any strain) feels closer to a psychedelic for me.

with that said, 50/50 hybrids are the best cause i like to be stoned UP, DOWN and all AROUND. plus my tolerance is through the roof.
:)

Haha the age old question. This is so hard because I love sativas and indicas just under diffrent circumstances. if i had to pick one I would probably go with indica just because it helps my insomnia better and i love the deep relaxation that comes after smoking a very strong indica. Although having the beautiful head high that only a strong sativa can give you is nice once in awhile.

My preference is straight up indica. Hybrids and sativas aren't bad though. hashish #1

I prefer indica, but I rarely ever manage to get super-dominant indica strains. Normally I'm blowing on hybrid midgrade.

Sativa or at least a hybrid.

I have had some great indicas but I just can't smoke indica all day the way I can with sativa. Indica is too . . . stoning, and osmetimes I don't feel quite right on it. Sativa is much smoother and more cheerful.