• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Growing advice, tips, tricks and experience: Mark 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ The whole leaf. When I said to within an inch of their lives, I meant it. It's serious, really. If you don't think they'll survive (the plants invariably do survive a lot more rough treatment than many people think) then I would think about using a systemic on them.

Also, you need to quaranteen the affected plants.

edit: by the way, vadar do you live in the south of the UK, because I was just wondering whether you're planning on growing that outdoors?

Last edited:
It's done. Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I live in the SW, and yeah, they're outdoors.

You should talk about your grow more mate. I would be interested in seeing what you're up to (I'm a nosey fucker).

There's not much to talk about atm, just a few wee plants in the back garden.

the vinegar bowl and yellow cards with petroleum jelly didn't catch ONE fucking gnat.

I woke up this morning and discovered that all 7 of my plants are female somehow. Felt like a pimp.

Are they actually flowering or just preflowering? I assume it's the latter if you've only just sexed them, in which case you can clone just fine.

You don't need rooting hormone for cannabis. Some would say it doesn't really make much of a difference at all 90% of the time. That said, some brands are better, with the gold standard being Clonex. Shultz would probably work but you need to be aware of the fact that different brands contain different hormones and a different carrier.

So yes, you can use it if you wish.

the vinegar bowl and yellow cards with petroleum jelly didn't catch ONE fucking gnat.

Because they didn't work or because there weren't any? If you doubt the efficacy of the DIY cards why not buy some ready-made ones to see if they work any better?

For some reason I forgot to mention using neem seed cake as an excellent treatment for fungus gnats. The sand really is the cornerstone, gold-standard treatment for f.gnats though.

I would like to stress that the yellow cards are only an indicator of pests present. They're not a form of pest control per sé.

You will get rid of your fungus gnat problem with a thick sand mulch with a bit of time. Next time think about changing your medium as dodgy potting media are a primary source of fungus gnats unfortunately.

^ They are there. I am seeing holes in some of the leaves. Oh, and the fact that when I water them GNATS FLY OUT! heh. I've seen them man, I know they are there. I am going to try the sand mulch. What exactly does that do?

Also - I can't find "Sand Mulch" anywhere. Is there is a specific type? Is it just Sand? Can I still water/feed safely with sand on top of the medium?

P.S. They have been in the room 10 days and already starting to see some flowers 8o

NSFW:
DSCF2155.jpg

^ They are there. I am seeing holes in some of the leaves. Oh, and the fact that when I water them GNATS FLY OUT! heh. I've seen them man, I know they are there. I am going to try the sand mulch. What exactly does that do?

Also - I can't find "Sand Mulch" anywhere. Is there is a specific type? Is it just Sand? Can I still water/feed safely with sand on top of the medium?

As long as it's not 'salty' (srry). Sure you can water it. Imagine filling a flower pot with sand pouring water on top. The water wouldn't just sit at the top so yes, it'll be fine.

Why do you need the cards in the first place if you know they're there? I've tried the petroleum jelly idea so I know it works, but maybe you put them in the wrong place?

I would invest in a UV bug zapper. You can even place them in the tent without worrying about making them hermaphrodite.

P.S. They have been in the room 10 days and already starting to see some flowers 8o

NSFW:
DSCF2155.jpg
Looking good man!

I would invest in a UV bug zapper. You can even place them in the tent without worrying about making them hermaphrodite.
I might be getting one of these. I have used fly paper a couple times, and they just don't control the problem very well (only delays the issue). My veg room is home to many moths and I just can't take it anymore! Anyway, I'll look into this for myself as well.

^ Yes I think the problem stems from some people being under the impression that the yellow cards are a front line defence against pests, when really they're only an indicator of a pests presence. They are a very valuable tool because it alerts you to a problem with aphids or what have you before you would have noticed without them. This allows you to be proactive about the situation rather than reactive when it could start to get out of control before you know it.

For people (spanso), here is where you take the cut (the red line). Once cut, immediately poke into watered multipurpose compost. Also make sure to remove both leaves either side of the node. Simples.

NSFW:
attachment.php

Attachments

• cut.JPG
    cut.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 817
Ay whatsup everybody so i have a few seeds freshly planted in a safe, secure jungle like area.
I planted them like june 4 or 5 or maybe 6th but anyway i was wondering if since i planted them a little later that they would enter flowering earlier, before they fully vegged, thus leaving like a plant that is not 5 foot tall but will still have a fair amount of yield?
This would help with the covertness of the whole thing i would think
Peace

^ I'm not sure, I can't read your mind =D

But yeah, I was just trying to show you the technique because either you or your grow partner said you were apprehensive about doing it because you'd never done it before. It's still not too late to make a bonsai mum.

In an ideal world this is the way a grow would normally go (not that there's a right and wrong way of doing it all - I don't mean that):

You grow out a pack of say 10 regular or feminized seeds. The ones that grow that aren't runts you grow out. Just before flipping to 12/12 or in the early stages of flowering you take one cutting from each of the plants you're growing and label them plant #1, plant #2 etc. You then have up to 10 potential mums. After you've grown the main plants out you dry and cure the buds, separating each set of buds according to the plant you harvested them from. Then you smoke them and choose your favorite, or if you wish to share it with others, you do a blind smoke test, telling them to choose the best buds from randomized samples. Once you've paired up the best bud with the plant it came from using a code to decipher to avoid unintentional bias etc, you keep the mum taken from that plant and kill off the rest. Make that bitch into a bonsai plant and you've got a plant that can produce dozens and dozens of cuttings regularly but will only take up a space of about eight by eight inches.

That way in future grows you'll ensure you get that same bud that you (or all your friends) love. Making the smoke test blind is extremely important because of the same reason they use the same technique in drug trials.

Wouldn't you just hate to grow out your plants and find one is an absolute keeper, only to realize you didn't clone it and have lost it forever? People have been literally heartbroken when this has happened to them.

Some phenotypes are so good you'll see their clones being grown out all throughout the country rather than from seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.