• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences Part 4

Some very very nice looking strains Xayo.
I look forward to seeing them grow :)
I've got to say that strawberry blue looks mighty tasty.
I also like Afghan Kush (the strain I had was good, anyways)
Ive never heard of kush/ryder , sounds interesting :)

2012_05_04_23_05_38.jpg

Super hard to get good pictures in my closet, and my tall plant I'm not really comfortable moving, I feel like it's so tall it's going to snap under its own weight...
Its starting to grow very rapidly, more so than the other 2 plants, and continues to get closer to the light. Ive never experienced true stretching like this, how long will it last, I have another 8 inches that I can move my hood, then Im out of room :/ lol

Last edited:
I don't know how open you'll be to my advice but I'll try and help.

If you have no issues germinating seeds then that's fine, but regardless I would recommend a thermostatically controlled heat mat. It helps to get the temp in the exact correct range for seeds and cuttings and brings up the germination and cutting strike rate to close to 100% (with seeds this depends if they're viable in the first place though, obviously). You move the Root Riot cubes (made by Fleximix) into the system when you see lots of roots coming out the sides.

If I were you I'd ditch the plan of growing in diatomite pebbles completely as that idea as described is a non-starter. I would look into as simple a way to grow as possible so you can get used to the whole process. Growing in compost would be best but if you're set on hydroponics, coco would be ideal for a beginner. You'll need a pH pen and I would recommend Hesi coco bloom which you can use in the vegetative stage and the flowering stage. I wouldn't recommend DWC for a beginner because it's very fiddly and plants are more prone to massive nutrient deficiencies than other systems.

If you want to go down the DWC route you should use hydroton/LECA (expanded clay pebbles - see pic below by clicking on nsfw tab). They have to be prepared in a certain way by first running tap water through them for ages and then soaking in pH adjusted water overnight. You put it in a net pot in a hole cut in the lid and fill the bucket with pH adjusted nutrient solution with an air stone which bubbles nutrient water up onto the roots.

NSFW:
Leca_Lightweight_expanded_clay_aggregrate_.jpg

As for the light, it depends on how much weed you want. If it's just for yourself, I would recommend using a 400W-600W HPS in veg and bloom. I wouldn't bother with CFLs or fluorescent lights if you worried about cost, because the 600W HPS in particular is the most efficient growing light in existence and will produce the most bud per killowatt-hour of electricity consumed. The optimum amount of light to use in any given space is 50W per square foot of floor space, so a 600W lamp will light a 1m x 1m space (3.28 feet x 3.28 feet). Likewise a 400w HPS will light an 0.86m x 0.86m space (2.83 feet x 2.83 feet).

You need to have proper ventilation. I assume you've sorted that out? It's not optional. Not only will it supply the plants with fresh air containing sufficient carbon dioxide for essential photosynthesis to take place, but it will also remove heat produced by the light, and believe me they produce a lot of heat. For a 600W HPS lamp you would ideally use something like a 6" high powered Ruck which is 725m3/h as the intake and the same as the extraction. You would slow down the intake to have slight negative pressure so all the air will go through your carbon filter, which leads me on to my next point.

You need a carbon filter. Again, it's not optional. It will stink not only your whole house out, but likely your whole street. I've known a whole street to be filled with sweet skunky cannabis odor with just a single plant someone was growing, and yes, they did get busted in the end. The smell from a flowering cannabis plant seems to even permeate through brick walls. If you're doing a tiny little micro grow in your bedroom if you live with your parents or something then you might get away with it for a while but anything more substantial and you will get caught.

Sweet, cheers for the advice arti, it's much appreciated plus you also really seem to know your shit. As far as ventilation goes I live in a rented house so I'm not allowed to do much construction on the house. But i was planning to grow my plants in the bathroom of my bedroom. I have an exhaust fan in there I was planning to run some ducting up to it and fitting a fan on the end in my grow room just to help with the airflow (neat little trick a mate showed me) do you think that would be enough to keep the room cool enough?

I thought about pumping C02 into my grow room at one point.
I remember doing quite a bit of research, and I believe one of the larger benefits of C02 was that plants have a much easier time dealing with heat.
I tried getting some solid information about how it helps growth, but not too many people had any photos, or any evidence. Just suggestions and thoughts.

I personally would like to try it.
Just to see if there is any benefit worth the investment of setting up something to elevate the C02 levels while the lights are on (I don't remember, do people even use C02 during the dark period/lights off)

AE might have a few words for you, he always does ;)

Sweet, cheers for the advice arti, it's much appreciated plus you also really seem to know your shit. As far as ventilation goes I live in a rented house so I'm not allowed to do much construction on the house. But i was planning to grow my plants in the bathroom of my bedroom. I have an exhaust fan in there I was planning to run some ducting up to it and fitting a fan on the end in my grow room just to help with the airflow (neat little trick a mate showed me) do you think that would be enough to keep the room cool enough?

If your bathroom is anything like mine, your exhaust fan in your bathroom might have a plastic cover that you can just easily pop off, (or maybe a metal cover than has screws), under that should be some duct, and if you want to, you could get a 4 inch inline fan, and use the exhaust .

(I'm not sure where you live, your house might be COMPLETELY different from mine, I just figured I'd throw that idea in there to see if it might help, good luck, hope your grow goes well, keep us posted)

How many plants did you want?
How much space do you have?

Could you take a picture of the space you will be using?
(Sorry if you answered these, I haven't read too many pages back)

I had the same issue, living in rented accomodation and not being able to make holes in the walls. I managed to get around the problem with an ingenious technique. What I did was to build a box using simple MDF board from B&Q and I attached it to the wall so that it completely covered the window. Between the window box and the window itself is a set of curtains so it obscures the window box from prying eyes. I made a 6" hole using a hole saw in the window box and attached a flange to it so that I could fit ducting to it. This allowed me to run my exhaust straight out the window itself.

Unless you're just growing one small plant, you must run your exhaust outside rather than indoors, since otherwise the moisture will just collect in your property and cause mould and damp. Just think, pretty much all the water you use to water your plants ends up being released into the air through the stomata on the plants. Soon it can cause serious issues with your flat. Not only that but it could affect your health as well, since you would be constantly breathing in fungal spores.

Does anyone here flood their grow ops w/ CO2?

The only viable ways of getting CO2 are through CO2 tanks and LPG or natural gas burners (forget that yeast bullshit). You would also need a sealed room and air conditioning as well as a CO2 meter and controller etc. so the costs can mount rapidly and unless you've got a serious set up it's probably not worth the effort and cost. That said you can massively increase CO2 levels and hence increase the yield by simply improving your ventilation. That would give you the best bang for your buck in most cases.

If your bathroom is anything like mine, your exhaust fan in your bathroom might have a plastic cover that you can just easily pop off, (or maybe a metal cover than has screws), under that should be some duct, and if you want to, you could get a 4 inch inline fan, and use the exhaust .

(I'm not sure where you live, your house might be COMPLETELY different from mine, I just figured I'd throw that idea in there to see if it might help, good luck, hope your grow goes well, keep us posted)

How many plants did you want?
How much space do you have?

Could you take a picture of the space you will be using?
(Sorry if you answered these, I haven't read too many pages back)

Haha yeah, it has a plastic cover that just pops off like yours, cheers mate.

I was planning on 3 but might start with 2 just to get the hang of things

I dont have heapsa space, I was planning on putting a small table in the spa bath (lol empty of course) which gives me around 4 metres or so to play with that's including the space around and building a tent over it. Got an inspection coming up in the next 3 weeks or so, so Im gonna delay growing for now :( but when I get started I'll try post pics and update you mob

I had the same issue, living in rented accomodation and not being able to make holes in the walls. I managed to get around the problem with an ingenious technique. What I did was to build a box using simple MDF board from B&Q and I attached it to the wall so that it completely covered the window. Between the window box and the window itself is a set of curtains so it obscures the window box from prying eyes. I made a 6" hole using a hole saw in the window box and attached a flange to it so that I could fit ducting to it. This allowed me to run my exhaust straight out the window itself.

Unless you're just growing one small plant, you must run your exhaust outside rather than indoors, since otherwise the moisture will just collect in your property and cause mould and damp. Just think, pretty much all the water you use to water your plants ends up being released into the air through the stomata on the plants. Soon it can cause serious issues with your flat. Not only that but it could affect your health as well, since you would be constantly breathing in fungal spores.

Yeah I think 3 would be my max amount of plants to grow anyway. I've thought of using the window, but that means i would have to run the ducting from the bath to the window, which are on opposite ends of the bathroom and it would make it hard to get to the shower cos its right next to the window lol but from the tub to the exhaust fan should be no probs. with the whole spore mould sitch, there will be a tent over the plants in my bedroom bathroom with the door closed plus the exhaust fan on, should i be worried about spores and mould, or is it more of a precaution?

If you keep everything vented there shouldn't be a problem, watch out for condensating water on cold surfaces ie the outer wall (not outside, i mean the wall that is facing outside of your house because thats the coldest spot in a room most of the time) of your grow room. But if it only is for 3 plants I wouldn't worry. Actually I have the opposite problem, my humidity sits in the 20's the wole day, just after watering it tends to go up to 45%

Last edited:
^ hey xayo, to be fair your setup was way on the smaller side. If you had three plants SCROG under a 600-1000W HID it would be a completely different story, but yes, micro-grows are a different kettle of fish. If you have say three plants with 20-30L medium each, at the height of flowering they can take say 30L water to completely saturate the medium. Much of that will just be released into the air and into your property and eventually it will cause mould and damp problems (been there done that when I started out), there's no question about that. With a small PC grow it's like comparing a toy car with a truck, so there's a big big big difference.

AE.

Last edited:
Just curious about all of these mold/mildew/fungus problems.

Since my grow room is indoors, and I don't have a fan going from outside into my grow room, do I have to worry about condensation or mold/mildew?
After every grow, I've made sure to vacuum, wash the walls (with bleach), and do everything I can to clean the grow room before I use it again.
My extraction fan does go into the attic though. So Im wondering if that would be a problem...My humidity rarely hits over 20% . Though in summer, it may hit 30-35% about 5-10 times.
How do I check for damage? How do I prevent it?
Wouldn't most people start to experience some breathing/respiration problems if these fungus were present?
Started to scare me :/ lol

Is there any way I can check to make sure I don't have any problems arising that I might not be able to see?

1 1/2 week into flowering :) .
Plants do seem to be experiencing some small ammount of nutrient burn (which sucks, because I've been using 1/4 of the suggested feeding)

I think with my next grow, Im going to have 2 plants, and just scrog them.
So, basically, germinante them, pot up, maybe once, or twice, then get the screen and just run all the new growth through the screen right?
Is trimming the bud off of the screen difficult? Or easier?
I wonder what the difference between weight production would be, I'd imagine Scrog would really do well, as it basically allows you to use ALL of your light thats available. doesn't seem like Ill have to move my light up and down every 2 days either :D

^ I would say it depends. You're using just a 400W light, right? Do you get condensation on the windows at all? If not then I wouldn't worry too much. If you do then it's definitely time to start worrying. I wouldn't worry about mould on the plants during the vegetative stage but botrytis (black mould) during the flowering period can be an issue, although you can deal with this using a dehumidifier. The fact that you're extracting into the loft will make a big difference compared to just extracting into the same room, although if you're worried just opening a window can do wonders. If your hygrometer is accurate and it's reading 20-30% that's fine. High humidity only really becomes an issue during lights off, so that's the time to be checking it.

You can check for damage by seeing if there's stains on the walls or visible mould/fungus growing, although it's not always immediately visible. It doesn't sound like it's been an issue for you though tbh so I wouldn't worry about your health necessarily.

Like I said though the best way to check to see if it's an issue is to measure the relative humidity during the lights off period. Ventilating into the loft will probably be preventing the RH from ever getting too high imo though.

Potting up in fewer stages might be beneficial when scrogging (although don't not pot up at all). This means you can fill the screen without having to remove the plant to pot up. Really coco would be ideal for scrog though since you could pot up straight into the final pot and start filling the screen much earlier. You should trim the foliage underneath since light won't get to it. Leave the branches intact though.

It's hard to say what the yield increase will be. That's too difficult to predict since it depends on so many factors including subjective ones like grower skill, although you will definitely yield more so I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the results ;)

600 watt light.
I get condensation in winter, when its freezing outside (if Im sleeping close to the window) , otherwise, no, I don't get any condensation on the window.
(Most of California, other than the coast, is a desert.)
My Humidity is about 24-25% on average when lights are off.

But, since I've started smoking more, I've started coughing up quite a bit more which, I assumed was normal, but you never know, there's always something you can't see that can make you very sick. lol

Should I put the plant in a 3gal or a 10 gal, lol...
How much water would go into a 10 gal, just like, 3X more than Id use for 3 gallon container? lol

Edit:

Forgot to mention, I can only move my hood up about 1 - 2 more inches.
I had to move my tallest plant and switch its place with a much shorter plant.
My tallest, and most healthy plant, was getting light bleach for about 3-5 days. Will it suffer badly in the long run? Do you think it might be okay? since I moved it away before it got too bad?

Right now, the leaf color is light green, it's obvious that there was problem with chlorophyll (I think thats what gives the leaf the color right?)
Its spotted white (no bugs, trust me, Im proud of how clean I kept my grow room this time bug wise.
Anyways, any info is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
Just a quick snapshot =)

the reveg has been doing great, way better than the plant originally did, last time it clawed alot and growth wasn't nearly so rapid
NSFW:

fa7ad2.jpg

The seedlings are doing fine too, although I got a few runts that look kind of overfed or something, i start wondering if biobizz allmix is too hard for little seedlings

600 watt light.
I get condensation in winter, when its freezing outside (if Im sleeping close to the window) , otherwise, no, I don't get any condensation on the window.
(Most of California, other than the coast, is a desert.)
My Humidity is about 24-25% on average when lights are off.

But, since I've started smoking more, I've started coughing up quite a bit more which, I assumed was normal, but you never know, there's always something you can't see that can make you very sick. lol

Should I put the plant in a 3gal or a 10 gal, lol...
How much water would go into a 10 gal, just like, 3X more than Id use for 3 gallon container? lol

Edit:

Forgot to mention, I can only move my hood up about 1 - 2 more inches.
I had to move my tallest plant and switch its place with a much shorter plant.
My tallest, and most healthy plant, was getting light bleach for about 3-5 days. Will it suffer badly in the long run? Do you think it might be okay? since I moved it away before it got too bad?

Right now, the leaf color is light green, it's obvious that there was problem with chlorophyll (I think thats what gives the leaf the color right?)
Its spotted white (no bugs, trust me, Im proud of how clean I kept my grow room this time bug wise.
Anyways, any info is appreciated, thank you.

IMO you shouldn't have condensation in the winter. I used to have the same in winter and it's a sign airflow could be improved. Better airflow would also improve yield though, so it's in your interest. You could have an extraction fan upgrade and I'm sure that would help.

10 US gallons = 37L which is quite big. I'll put it this way, by the time you flip over to 12/12 you need to be seeing roots through the drainage holes. Otherwise you'll have lots of unused compost which will retain water for prolonged periods of time and could go sour. It's basically not good. That said, if you can veg for long enough to completely fill out a 37L pot then go for it.

As for how much water to use, I would just water until you start getting run off through the drainage holes and it becomes saturated. I find that I need to keep watering after I see water initially coming through the drainage holes so the compost I can see through them is wet and not dry. Otherwise only the surface few inches of the compost will be wet. Ideally it needs to be soaked from top to bottom. Lifting it up in your hands to feel the weight can help to gauge how much you need to water.

I'm sure your plant will be fine if it is given a chance to recover. If you want to help it along you could water in some seaweed extract which should help it recover from the stress sooner. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. When you say there was a problem with chlorophyll do you mean light bleach or yellowing? Either way I'm sure it'll recover just fine given a chance. Plants can take a lot of abuse before they really stop growing and suffer.

i start wondering if biobizz allmix is too hard for little seedlings

You would be right, BB allmix is way too hot for seedlings. You can dilute it with perlite 50/50 though. "All Mix" usually means it is packed with nutrients and is designed for adult plants so you don't need to feed it for many weeks. "Light Mix" is designed for seeds and cuttings, although it's not any different from garden centre sowing and cutting compost. "Multipurpose compost" is as the name implies in between and is light enough for cuttings and seeds but has enough nutrients to sustain an adult plant for quite a while before it needs feeding again.

Biobizz allmix is known for being rather variable, so your results might be inconsistent. I have to admit I'm not a fan of that brand but some people seem to get on okay with it.

By the way, for UK peeps, Notcutts multipurpose compost is what I use and with a bit of rockdust added and some Plant Magic granules or Rootgrow dusted in the potting hole it will perform just as well as any grow shop compost, if not better.

How long do you keep the seeds in a paper towel before planting them?

It's been around 3 days since a little white tail has sprouted from one of the seeds. Now the white tail is pretty big. How long should I wait until I plant it?

It's about 5 times the length of the actual seeds itself.

It's the root! PLANT IT NOW! Be very careful with it it's very delicate and make sure the root is pointing downwards.
As soon as the seed cracks and you see a root you should be planting it so you don't risk damaging or drying the root out.

Ok, i've just planted it in a pot with some onions. Should I take the onions out right away? It does have space, like half of the pot is filled with onions and the other half is clear for the little baby to grow.

Also, the seed isn't submerged in the soil. It's visible, the root is in the ground. Is that ok?

You really should have done some research before you sprouted them. It's much better to give it it's own house instead of mixing it with other plants because they'll compete and have different requirements for watering and nutrients etc. Also the seed itself should be about an inch deep in the soil. If it must stay in there and you're just doing it as an experiment then just add some more soil on top and cover it by about an inch. You can't have the root exposed to light. You will see the stem pop out after a few days if things are going well and that tends be to be purpley green it will pop out and unfold itself then start growing leaves. make sure everything is kept moist or they will die.
You don't sound very serious about the whole idea of growing but if you are I suggest you visit some dedicated cannabis sites and go to the beginners guides.

p.s keep everything moist but not drenched and also don't press the soil above the seed down hard or it will struggle to rise. good luck.

Last edited:
Cover it in soil as the little roots won't like it if they see light.

I have no idea about the onions... I would just plant them in soil.

By the way, you don't need to germinate them in a paper towel, you can just put the seeds straight up in the soil, less than an inch deep, cover it with soil and keep it moist...