• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pets MEGA Cats VS Dogs - POLL!

The Big Question - Cat v's Dog

• Total voters
I decided!
A guinea pig it is

I am going shopping right now ... going to drive around to local pet stores and play with the animals and see if anything clicks between me and him/her ...

so just maybe I will be bringing home my new baby ... and take a few pics of him/her for BL since you all helped on the decision.

Now it is times for names ... :)

pictures

97606915ur5.jpg

68365760oo3.jpg

94532753nz9.jpg

86426052iv1.jpg

srsly now, i need names!!! im up for all ideas! its a male ... not that it has to be a "manly" name ;)

throw any out there ... maybe i'll pick the most popular? :)

He looks like an Andy Garcia to me

Just about pets though, my 2 cents on that. A few years ago we moved to a really big lot now with loads of plants all over. Our dogs now run free and I've been observing them, they eat plants all the time! Not just when they are sick, but all the time. They take nibbles of this and that.

Our birds also (which my dad keeps and I feel bad for them being in an aviary), they are supposedly "seed feeders" that only eat birdseed, but sometimes I put plants in their home, and they eat that right up! They eat the leaves up.

Seeing that sort of freaked me out.

I think that because humans (especially in the US and stuff) are so used to being told what they need to eat instead of knowing it by osmosis or instinct, that we assume that a "balanced diet" for pets can come in a bag with all the "vitamins and minerals" they need, according to science. However, of course, we have barely scratched the surface in knowledge of what any particular mammal needs completely, especially in their changing contexts.

So just a suggestion, to take your pets on walks in relatively wild areas, and give them social interaction with creatures other than humans. Just because it is okay for us to be holed up in an apartment eating basically the same things every month, it doesn't mean it is for them also.

Name him PigPig!!!

but you have to over-emphasize the "P"s when you say it.

eDDe9 said:
Mussolini, he looks like a Mussolini

what do i tell people when they ask whats with the odd name?

"oh i let some random people on a social forum online pick the name. i have no real clue though what the name is from or what it could mean" ;)

ok ... Mussolini it is!

for the past week i just been calling him "mister", but I think Mussolini fits better :)

Good good choice

As soon as I saw it I thought it actually looks like a Mussolini

Don't forget they're very sociable animals, and if you've got one... what extra work is two? I think just one could get very lonely, and its very sweet when you have two - they have squeaky conversations with eachother.

Good point, very good point

Make sure it looks like a megalomaniac though, so I can name it Franco or Pinochet depending on it having a white tuft or droopy cheeks %)

I don't know where you live, but where I live it's illegal to deny someone rent due to a pet. It's a form of discrimination and taken seriously if renters try to enforce a 'no pet' policy.

Most applications still ask whether you have pets, I just say "no" and bring my cats anyways. They can't do anything about it, and all 'no pets' contracts are void by default.

Is polite though.. to live somewhere where they don't mind animals.. It is their house they're giving up (unless you're renting whole house to yourself)

Off-topic though?

eDDe9 said:
Is polite though.. to live somewhere where they don't mind animals.. It is their house they're giving up (unless you're renting whole house to yourself)

Off-topic though?

Aside from the hair which can be thoroughly cleaned when you move out, cats shouldn't pose an issue for landlords. Dogs are a slightly different story.

bRoken&foRgoTTen said:
ok ... Mussolini it is!

for the past week i just been calling him "mister", but I think Mussolini fits better :)

I think you made the right move there.