• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Basic Cultivation

Keeping bugs off my Marijuana Plant

I've heard of people who spray their plants with soapy water to get rid of any pests that may be feeding off the plant. I was wondering if this can harm the plant in any way, and what type of soap if any i should use.

i know a site that will give you everything you could ever want to know about growing weed, including how to keep pests off it but i am not sure if its ok to post it in these forums.

GAH, fucking SNAILS!

My 3 plants that i had started about three weeks ago were a good 5-6inches tall and going strong. I go to check on them.. and I see the three pots completely empty with a stub of a stem sticking up, and in one of the pots i see a tiny half eaten fan leaf. As i look around and think WTF where did my plants go, i see a small sized snail on the side of the pot of my biggest favorite plant. As look at it under closer inspection the glimmer of the shiny snail trail catches my eye and i am able to trace the trail from pot #1, to pot #2, to pot #3..to the side where the snail sat stuck on to the side. THE EVIL BASTARD ATE my plants, may god curse his soul and bring bad weed carma when he incarnates into a human.

good note--- I started another plant and it just popped it's head above soil this morning. !

Back when i had a plant, it started to turn yellow dispite that fact that we had enough water and sun. I asked my friend what was the problem and he said my plant needed nitrogen. Is this what my problem was?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I planted one seed and I ended up with two sprouts. Does anyone have an idea when I should seperate them, or if I should even seperate them at all?? I am worried moving one plant from the same root would kill both of the plants.

Thanks.

Smokey said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I planted one seed and I ended up with two sprouts. Does anyone have an idea when I should seperate them, or if I should even seperate them at all??

I would just leave it as it is. If you really feel the need or just need to seperate them, make a little diagonal incision down the stem (they have to be a little bigger for this though). You can clone the little cutting now, if you'd like. But read up on it on overgrow in the Cloning FAQ.

How can you mix one strain of cannabis with another?

I was just wondering if someone could clear something up for me.

I was reading recently about Sativa and Indica strains and how they are no longer pure because they have been mixed with each other (can't think of the word for this).

How exactly would this happen? Surely with plants being A sexual they can't reproduce with eachother and therefore the strains can't be crossed?:\

What's this I also hear about Female and Male plants and "sexual stimulation"?

Last edited:
pollen is taken from the male plant's flowers of one strain and then used to fertilize the female plant of a different strain.

Tranced said:
I was reading recently about Sativa and Indica strains and how they are no longer pure because they have been mixed with each other (can't think of the word for this).

Cross-breeding. :)

How exactly would this happen? Surely with plants being A sexual they can't reproduce with eachother and therefore the strains can't be crossed?

Indica's and Sativa's are BOTH capable of producing female and male plants. Take a male Sativa and a female Indica in their flowering period, let them stand next to each other and voila, in no-time you'll have a 50/50 seedmix growing on the Indica plant..

Btw, I'm going to add this to the Basic Cultivation [MEGA] thread.

I have weird question about cannabis flowering... A plant started to flower... it is female plant and it has like little bods which are green, but at top purple. They went open, and what came out was little flower like blossom. Is it normal, or is there something wrong? If it's normal, then may it me sign that it's time to harvest?

I may get a chance to take a picture of them and upload it here later.

Any useful information is appriciated.

Last edited:
Anyone know any resourceful ways to fertilize your soil with potassium. Also... stems are turning a little red. Someone also had a problem with this.

Keep in mind I cannot go out and buy anything. I need something I can get from around the house... or make etc.

Killaravah2day == does it have to be epsoms' or can it be table? I started foliar feeding with Miracle grow... very diluted solution, and it's started to go away... but not as fast as I would like to see ;) Miracle grow has no potassium in it though... so ... need something for that.

What are your PPM's suppose to be during grow and during budding I've heard so many different stories.

Last heard 600 - 1200 when growing then 1400 when Blooming on the other hand I just read 1000ppm when flowering?

What the?

I have no idea, this depends on a whole lot of variables (strain for example, is the plant in need of more PPM, etc.).. Your best bet is to ask this same question with a little more background info at www.overgrow.com, there are a lot more people there that have the growing experience, this forum lacks that unfortunately.

edit: found a great FAQ on overgrow about it:
http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/1346

Last edited:
so for the lighting experts out there, i just went and bought me a compact fluro 42w bulb. Yeah so its a warm white light bulb. Is a warm white going to make that much of a difference in either the veg or flowering stage? Will it cause a long stringy plant because of the wrong spectrum of lighting in the veg stage?

^ http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/1477
HOW MUCH LIGHT DO I NEED TO VEG CANNABIS PROPERLY?

It all depends on what light you are using, if it’s HID, standard fluoro or compact fluoro (I assume you're not using halogens!). For HID (HPS or MH) lighting, use roughly 30w per square foot, and for flowering use around 60w per square foot. This is merely a guide, your plant, light height; reflective surfaces etc make a huge difference on these numbers. For a small plant, below 1ft tall, I’d say you would need at least 25w of fluorescent light. I find that it isn't at all practical to use tube fluoro’s for the vegetative stage past 6 inches, as only the top of the plant is receiving enough light to carry out photosynthesis properly.

Using an energy saving compact fluoro will help 'push' the light to the base of the plant, assisting photosynthesis. If the plant indicates it needs more light by growing slowly, and with small leaf petioles, you may need more light. Go with the basic rule of keeping the fluoro’s very close, and using roughly 20-30w per square foot for strong vegetative growth. If you can afford to over-light your grow room, why not? You wont regret it when your plant is bushy and healthy. If you feel that you need to only purchase a minimum amount of lights, you probably shouldn’t be growing.

Growing takes effort and money, and if you can't support a plants needs you might as well just forget growing until you can afford a proper setup. Skimping on lights is the biggest mistake a grower can make, because photosynthesis is so important to for a health plant.