• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] 2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, a 400w mh is more than enough to veg seedlings & clones, unless you have a large space with lots of plants, then maybe 2 400w mh set-ups would be needed, but really a single 400 mh is perfect.

Hard to say exactly when to put the seedlings under a 400mh, I'd assume once you have 3 or 4 levels of true leaves, they should be good to go. Seedlings tend to stretch, so using flourescents, you can keep them nice and close to the seedlings to help mitigate the stretching. You also wanna make sure they are strong enough to acclimate to the intense light, last thing you want is a tray full of seedlings getting a bunch of burnt shriveled leaves haha. However, the sooner you can get them ready for the MH, the faster they will grow and the faster you can get to the 12/12 stage.

So mods, Can we go with "2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences "

As for me, well, Idk if I can buy the 400 watt mh and run it on my ballast, I do have a MH/HPS digital switchable ballast, but I dont know if 60% of the ballasts power and a 400 watt MH would work, Sucks, im gonna have to shell out like 120$ for a 600 watt MH (conversion lamp)

As for my seedlings, well, I have them in red cups with peatmoss, that is very moist, Im thinking a bit too moist, but we will see..., I had them under the T5 flourecents while I was sleeping, I woke up and it was still pretty cool outside , and the sun was out, so I put the cups outside (im just gonna do this until they actually show signs of popping out of the soil)

Anyone know about the whole 400 watt MH bulb in a 600 watt HPS/MH ballast? will it screw it up or what?
I have a Phantom PHE600D.
If anyone knows , Id appreciate knowing as well ;-)

Also, how long do people usually keep their plants in VEG if they are LST-ing a single plant?

Nice pics. Hope the flower good for ya.
What kinda light /watt you using, what distance?
10 days into flower now? or? Veg still?
Stems seem a little skinny...do you super crop em?

Hmm, time to go smoke a bowl.

Last edited:
So mods, Can we go with "2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences "

As for me, well, Idk if I can buy the 400 watt mh and run it on my ballast, I do have a MH/HPS digital switchable ballast, but I dont know if 60% of the ballasts power and a 400 watt MH would work, Sucks, im gonna have to shell out like 120$ for a 600 watt MH (conversion lamp)

As for my seedlings, well, I have them in red cups with peatmoss, that is very moist, Im thinking a bit too moist, but we will see..., I had them under the T5 flourecents while I was sleeping, I woke up and it was still pretty cool outside , and the sun was out, so I put the cups outside (im just gonna do this until they actually show signs of popping out of the soil)

Anyone know about the whole 400 watt MH bulb in a 600 watt HPS/MH ballast? will it screw it up or what?
I have a Phantom PHE600D.
If anyone knows , Id appreciate knowing as well ;-)

Also, how long do people usually keep their plants in VEG if they are LST-ing a single plant?

Nice pics. Hope the flower good for ya.
What kinda light /watt you using, what distance?
10 days into flower now? or? Veg still?
Stems seem a little skinny...do you super crop em?

Hmm, time to go smoke a bowl.

Yep, super-cropped, tied down etc... the snow white's & sour d's are more on the lanky side, the pk crosses in there have much fatter stems and main stalks, the snow white's in perticular are the most lanky freakin things i've ever worked with haha..but they are vigorous as hell, they just grow n grow, unfortunately, its mostly sativa so they stretch a bit more than i'd like.
I have original East Coast Sour D's, they are decent yielders but also a bit lanky as opposed to the Purple Kush's, but the Sour just has a such a taste and potent high>>I love that stuff. I'll probably try the suggestion that Artificial Emotion said..the first week or two of flowering..just leaving in the MH instead of going w/ the HPS right away.

I am using a 600Watt Red Eye Hortilux enhanced spectrum HPS. The pics were taken this morning....Day 14 of flowering. I'll plan on letting these go til atleast Day 65. The Snow's may even be 70 day'ers.

Prelude, I remember seeing 400w MH's at Lowes, they were pretty cheap too, I guess you can try to turn your ballast way down and pop in a 400w mh, but honestly, I wouldn't take the risk..that's just me. Do you have a piece of glass for your hood just incase the bulb blows up? I only paid like $25 for my glass and it's worth the piece of mind when the MH is being used.

As for putting your seedlings/clones outside...IDK man, I just would be too worried that I would bring bugs into my grow room, besides that, you are throwing off their environment. They get the intensity of the sun while outside, then get put back under T5's, then put outside, then back inside...just seems like that may cause problems. I do that when I plan on putting the clones outside for the season, you slowly acclimate them to the sun. BUT if you plan on these new clones/seedlings being grown indoors, I believe you should just leave them indoors. Veg them under the T5's til they are about 6 inchess or so, maybe 3 or 4 levels of "true leaves", then veg them under the 400MH for 3 weeks or until you feel they are ready to be flipped to 12/12.

It really depends on the strain and how it grows, some are slow veggers and can take a longer veg, but other strains are real vigorous and only need like a 15 day veg..that ofcourse being from clone. Seedlings on the other hand obviously take longer.
Generally, I think you are looking at about 100 days from the day the seedling sprouts up til harvest time. Some of the auto-flowering strains can be started and finished in 70-80 days.

:) thnx chainer,

muncheez, I was reffering to low stress training when I said LSTing .

I think Im just gonna buy the $120 bulb.
Not worth running the risk of a 200 ballast and a 20-40$ cheapo bulb.

(Curious Papasomni, Are bugs more prominent as a problem in Cold weather or warm, Im thinking warm, Im not sure because I would think during the warm weather , the bugs thrive, but during the cold, they are all gonna be looking for a warm place to hide at night, and I would assume thats probably going to be my closet, I saw a few bug traps and things at a few stores, should I pick a few of them up just to be on the safe side?)

it depends on where you live.....here in south Texas, its pretty much a year round thing...especially if they started off indoors.....they can live and reproduce there indefinatley....

Hmm, well, found out today , I'm gonna have to get a 600 watt MH conversion bulb, or just use the 600 watt HPS sunmaster deluxe the whole way through...

The only problem is , I see most of these conversion bulbs are 120$,
I know sourcing is against the rules, but , If someone could PM me a link to a trustworthy site where I can buy bulbs a little bit cheaper I'd appreciate it (I've looked at alot of sites, but Ive never bought bulbs online , so if anyone has, and knows of a site, I'd greatly appreciate it.)

On the other hand, had one of the seedlings pop through the soil today, I put a tiny bit more of dry peat moss on top and sprayed with a little water (didn't really look like it was ready to come up, and I didn't put them in too deep...)

I went outside today , and I saw these weird looking bugs under the leafs of my Mother Marijuana plant outdoors, they looked like really small mosqitos.Dont know what they were, but I dont think they looked promising

-edit-
I put the seeds in the red cups outside today for about 4-6 hours, all of them popped above soil, so I put about 2mm of peat over them , to help strengthen them a little so they gotta push a little harder to live ;) , anyways, they're all looking good so far.

check out lowes or homedepot, they have 75w-400w for sure, maybe 600.

as i mentioned earlier though, a less expensive (simple 6500)MH lamps can be what's desired, HPS is worth spending on... but fuck it you know? find a cheap
600w lamp, it will probably be $35, and do plenty fine, for now, im sure youll save plenty just the same.

BUT, next time get like what you/we have later, next grow around, or is it too late to return the current 400 "advanced hps" to help pay for a new 600w of equivalent quality? look out for a 1/2 mirror finished lamp.
;)
if you do get a new lesser quality HPS, id let it run, and break in for 240-300 hours first, some times your lamp wont be pumping out full PAR or lumens until you are into the second grow.

Edit_____________________________________________________:

how much successes have any of you had cloning a top?
this is supposed to be the most difficult to get to root because it has the least new fresh growth hormones in it, but is the most potent of the three sections of growth. seems this wools make for a killer mother.

all but 2 of 8 purple haze cuts i took have roots, all three (durban x thai) x C99 have the most vigorous root growth, with the start of capalaries already. they all grew a lot overnight, the C99 like + .7 of an inch.

i took 5 more PHaze cuts, and 1 C99.

the NL#5 is taking root and starting to jump-up(smells amazing). iam very excited to clone and grow the lights, the (DxT)xC99 was disappointing before, tasty but, id like to dedicate them for hash, if i can make some nice stuff, i like sativa hash.

NSFW:

PurpleHaze roots
922purplehazeroots.jpg

(DurbanxThai)xC99
922C99roots.jpg

PpMediBud(its okay,=B-)
922medibudseedling.jpg

WhiteWidow: acting like a make(which i have been wanting a while now), growing a second pair, but, doesnt have much legs to stand on...
922wwidowseedling.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been able to post pics of my plants , been having a rough time lately, two of my close friends committed suicide this week, pretty rough to deal with...

All my seeds took root and have sprouted up and are showing their first set .
The lights are less than 2-3 inches away , but , seems like theres a bit of stretching or weak stems going on..

check out lowes or homedepot, they have 75w-400w for sure, maybe 600.

as i mentioned earlier though, a less expensive (simple 6500)MH lamps can be what's desired, HPS is worth spending on... but fuck it you know? find a cheap
600w lamp, it will probably be $35, and do plenty fine, for now, im sure youll save plenty just the same.

BUT, next time get like what you/we have later, next grow around, or is it too late to return the current 400 "advanced hps" to help pay for a new 600w of equivalent quality? look out for a 1/2 mirror finished lamp.
;)
if you do get a new lesser quality HPS, id let it run, and break in for 240-300 hours first, some times your lamp wont be pumping out full PAR or lumens until you are into the second grow.

Edit_____________________________________________________:

how much successes have any of you had cloning a top?
this is supposed to be the most difficult to get to root because it has the least new fresh growth hormones in it, but is the most potent of the three sections of growth. seems this wools make for a killer mother.

all but 2 of 8 purple haze cuts i took have roots, all three (durban x thai) x C99 have the most vigorous root growth, with the start of capalaries already. they all grew a lot overnight, the C99 like + .7 of an inch.

i took 5 more PHaze cuts, and 1 C99.

the NL#5 is taking root and starting to jump-up(smells amazing). iam very excited to clone and grow the lights, the (DxT)xC99 was disappointing before, tasty but, id like to dedicate them for hash, if i can make some nice stuff, i like sativa hash.

NSFW:

PurpleHaze roots
922purplehazeroots.jpg

(DurbanxThai)xC99
922C99roots.jpg

PpMediBud(its okay,=B-)
922medibudseedling.jpg

WhiteWidow: acting like a make(which i have been wanting a while now), growing a second pair, but, doesnt have much legs to stand on...
922wwidowseedling.jpg

What kind of rooting hormone do you use? Do you use a powder or gel? I have great success using clonex. 2 out 8 seems a bit low ..ratio wise. However some strains are a bitch to clone. I realize you are using an aeroponic set-up, I've never used em, do you still add some sort of rooting hormone? I've def gotten tops of plants to root..using the clonex gel and jiffy pods, I stick em in a tray with a dome cover. Those aeroponic things are supposed to work awesome from what I hear.

Sorry I haven't been able to post pics of my plants , been having a rough time lately, two of my close friends committed suicide this week, pretty rough to deal with...

All my seeds took root and have sprouted up and are showing their first set .
The lights are less than 2-3 inches away , but , seems like theres a bit of stretching or weak stems going on..

Damn bro that sucks to hear, TWO friends? this week? the odds of that must be astronomical. I am sorry for your loss and i hope you are doing allright.

prelude, oh man thats devastating, try and stay optimistic. i have toooo many friends gone, but, i can feel most of them smiling around occasionally...

muncheez, i must of miswrote, 6 of 8 p-haze, and 3 of 3 C99. i soaked the stems overnight in basically willow water (IBA hormone) rootech. then dropped then in, those picture are after six days. usually ten to plant them. i did add a couple drops superthrive when i added some fresh water.

its a botanicare daisy cloner, you can read all sorts of shit talk on line, but it paid for its self immediately, yes the water gets warm, but usually 78f 26c. thats ideal for sprouting, i added an after market sprayer, the ones that come with it will clog, and you wont notice untill every one has collapsed.

a great tip is to add some worm-casting tea, to help fight algae.

when i moved it from my veg room, into my bedroom, thats when the haze and sativas took root, and all my indicas died... there is a window in here, and in the veg room constant 78-81.

Yeah, was really odd, I found out last night that my friend had Hung himself, and left a letter with all of his friends #'s on it, Had a rough night last night, woke up, went to work (I work at a church) and there was a funeral going on, I didn't know who it was for, so I was just cleaning up, and and saw a picture of another friend who I had helped get sober, cleaned up, Got a job, had a girl who was pregnant, and just blah, fuck...
Guess this should go in Darkside, meh...

Thanks for the support/advice, truly appreciate it.
My seedlings are all doing well, infact, I'm gonna go take some pics of the crappy Northern Lights I chopped down, and the sprouting seedlings.
Gotta keep myself busy, keep my mind off things, so people tell me.

I was fucking ripped last night, I must have passed right by your post Prelude. Man I'm sorry to hear about your friends, that's a bitter pill to swallow. Hang in there!

The sourcing here needs to end. I'm not going to take the time to go through 33 pages and edit out sources for shit if there even are any, but as a heads up, do.not.post.links.to.paraphernalia. Even for bulbs, if it's drug related, it's not allowed. Sorry peeps, keep the log up it's looking illmatic.

You can drop name brands and shit dont worry about that, just stop the links and sourcing.

Status
Not open for further replies.