Mental Health Medication for bipolar and schizophrenia

I had a cousin with bipolar (manic depression it was known as in those days) and schizophrenia, gosh what a challenging combination to try and tame with medication you poor thing, I feel you x

This was 20 odd years ago now, and he needed about 10 different meds to stay stable as each came with its own set of issues that then needed treatment.

I’ve forgotten a lot of them now, however the one he hated but loved with passion was lithium. It was the only drug available at the time that controlled his manic highs and dreadful lows but it came with its own set of horrible side effects so he was forever stopping his doses so could ‘feel’ something, anything really.

Given you are also on valproate I’m not sure it would work for you as lithium controls the flow of sodium so the two might interact?
I don’t know enough, have you tried lithium?
(My daughter uses sodium vaplorate to control some of her seizures and we have found it to be the one with the least side effects, it’s a good drug as long as you don’t intend on conceiving)
I know that’s also used for bipolar so perhaps you have that covered though and would be better suited to an anti psychotic, ablify works well with schizophrenia as does respiridol.

I used SSRI’s to treat my bipolar without success, as someone said above they had a tendency to make my manic phases more manic (citilopram and Zoloft I tried)

Lithium carbonate xr is the only drug that fixed my rapid cycling bi polar about 80%!

Yea of course I still have my moments and sometimes end up in psych hospitals when I freak out but for the most part I'm pretty stable

Lithium literally changed me to be a much better person

Without lithium carbonate xr I'd be in prison for murder or something similar

I've been on lithium carbonate for 11 years started it when I was 16 now I'm 27

Also my lithium carbonate xr dose is higher than usual as the maximum dose I can find online for long term use is 1200mg I take 1350mg never had to change my dose except in the very beginning from 900mg to 1350mg

I highly recommend lithium needless to say

And also dose is based on serum levels so it's easy to know if you need it or not

Trust me it’s better with the thoughts you call self talk than any psychiatric care

Lamotrogine helps me but I need to see psychiatrist.
Quetiapine light be causing all.mymproblems CBA to get out of bed. CBA to clean. CBA to bathenj went a month without a bath that's fucking bad
I go out looking scruffy and don't care
I got violent thoughts and suicidalnthoughts
I miss my family loneliness has really fucked my head up.
I.live next door to my ex I dintmloce her hhtbi see her with her kid and how sweet the kidnis and j sometimes thjnn I wish I had something like that to sort me out

I think for autism and issues like this, i think psychiatry should trust plants, let pacients have their shrooms, mdma, therapies. We also have an example -

@schizopath ----
===========

And bottom line, it's all about realizing the wrong. Fuck gov.

Lamotrogine helps me but I need to see psychiatrist.
Quetiapine light be causing all.mymproblems CBA to get out of bed. CBA to clean. CBA to bathenj went a month without a bath that's fucking bad
I go out looking scruffy and don't care
I got violent thoughts and suicidalnthoughts
I miss my family loneliness has really fucked my head up.
I.live next door to my ex I dintmloce her hhtbi see her with her kid and how sweet the kidnis and j sometimes thjnn I wish I had something like that to sort me out

***mod edit - don't tell people to try certain drugs. simply state what worked for you and why*** what you're describing sounds like it stems from using drugs

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoking weed while schizophrenia or schizoaffective is throwing fuel on a fire. Bad idea, definitely not a remedy at all.
Did you take psychedelics to precipitate? That’s our real conundrum. I want the thoughts to feel natural not invega or Ap’s. We like to feel good when we can.

reb38 echoes the conclusion of essentially all relevant studies in the past 20 years on the matter. It may seem to help some things, but ultiamtely does more harm than good if someone with schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder uses THC.

As for psychedelics, generally speaking it's good to stay away from them if one has a psychotic disorder. Studies are lacking, probably other than the red tape is that it could seriously damage people, and no researcher wants blood on their hands. But it's less of a sure thing than with cannabis. Stay away from it, I say.

Hallucinogens as a general group aren't likely to offer any utility for those with a psychotic disorder.