Mental Health Medication for bipolar and schizophrenia

Karstarassi

Greenlighter
Hi. I have bipolar and schizophrenia. My medications for those diseases include Xeplion 100mg (paliperidone injection) , 10mg olanzapin and valproate. Im thinking about starting some antidepressant, and im gonna talk with doctor about that later today. What medicines you guys take for bipolar and schizophrenia?

SSRIs are good antidepressants overall, clean in the sense that they mostly have one main action (SRI), prohibiting serotonin from being taken out of the synapse. Then the body attempts to retain homeostasis by reducing serotonin release. This leads to transcription factors activating and changing the nature of the cell for the better.

It's a bit strange to me that you're on two powerful antispychotics, but it's nothing outrageous. But SSRIs usually reduce anxiety, too, so maybe you won't need the both of them. Your doctor knows much more than I, but it's decent to talk about with them.

Seroquel is indicated for bipolar depression. Abilify, too, I thought. These are antipsychotics, though, and while two is sometimes done, three seems absurd to me.

Then you have effexor, pristiq, and cymbalta, which are more stimulating, but also have SRI as an action.

Wellbutrin is a stimulating one, too, but isn't an SRI.

Then there is remeron and trazodone, atypical antidepressants.

I mean it comes down to how your depression manifests, which can vary a lot...but in general, SSRIs are a good first defense. They might get a bad rep in places, but they are legit.

Lithium all the way. Then lamictal as a mood stabilizer. ***mod edit - please do not encourage or discourage any drug use in MH. simply state your experience***

Last edited by a moderator:
Lithium and lamictal are both mood stabilizers, and tend not to be taken together. I'd ask your doctor about both of these, and he will probably prescribe only one.

They both work well, though. IME, lithium killed my mania and lamictal killed depression, but both stabilize both ends of the spectrum well.

SSRIs are good antidepressants overall, clean in the sense that they mostly have one main action (SRI), prohibiting serotonin from being taken out of the synapse. Then the body attempts to retain homeostasis by reducing serotonin release. This leads to transcription factors activating and changing the nature of the cell for the better.

It's a bit strange to me that you're on two powerful antispychotics, but it's nothing outrageous. But SSRIs usually reduce anxiety, too, so maybe you won't need the both of them. Your doctor knows much more than I, but it's decent to talk about with them.

Seroquel is indicated for bipolar depression. Abilify, too, I thought. These are antipsychotics, though, and while two is sometimes done, three seems absurd to me.

Then you have effexor, pristiq, and cymbalta, which are more stimulating, but also have SRI as an action.

Wellbutrin is a stimulating one, too, but isn't an SRI.

Then there is remeron and trazodone, atypical antidepressants.

I mean it comes down to how your depression manifests, which can vary a lot...but in general, SSRIs are a good first defense. They might get a bad rep in places, but they are legit.

Wellbutrin and pristiq are not ssri they are ndri's

Wellbutrin and pristiq are not ssri they are ndri's

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) is an SNRI, as it has "SRI action", but is also an "NRI" in that it's "more stimulating" than SSRIs. As venlafaxine, it can likely treat forms of anxiety. I guess at way high doses it becomes somewhat of a DRI.

Wellbutrin is an NRI up to about 300mg, which is when the DRI becomes appreciable. But it's a funky chemical for a few technical and theoretical reasons. Likely it somehow modulates serotonergic activity.

Lithium is the golden standard for mood stabilization. It increases tryptophan synthesis and has some other mechanisms that make it quite unique. But unfortunately it can do a number on one's kidneys, a la the blood tests.

Seroquel is a good ap for bipolar disorder, and is indicated for bipolar depression. It can help one sleep, and isn't a very strong D2 antagonist. I believe a major metabolite of it is, somewhat ironically, an NRI.

Yep, 10 seconds: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4813385/

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) is an SNRI, as it has "SRI action", but is also an "NRI" in that it's "more stimulating" than SSRIs. As venlafaxine, it can likely treat forms of anxiety. I guess at way high doses it becomes somewhat of a DRI.

Wellbutrin is an NRI up to about 300mg, which is when the DRI becomes appreciable. But it's a funky chemical for a few technical and theoretical reasons. Likely it somehow modulates serotonergic activity.

Lithium is the golden standard for mood stabilization. It increases tryptophan synthesis and has some other mechanisms that make it quite unique. But unfortunately it can do a number on one's kidneys, a la the blood tests.

Seroquel is a good ap for bipolar disorder, and is indicated for bipolar depression. It can help one sleep, and isn't a very strong D2 antagonist. I believe a major metabolite of it is, somewhat ironically, an NRI.

Yep, 10 seconds: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4813385/

I thought pristiq and Wellbutrin were ndri's

Let’s be realistic here cannabis is the preferred treatment

Hi. I have bipolar and schizophrenia. My medications for those diseases include Xeplion 100mg (paliperidone injection) , 10mg olanzapin and valproate. Im thinking about starting some antidepressant, and im gonna talk with doctor about that later today. What medicines you guys take for bipolar and schizophrenia?

I have bi-polar and found that SSRI’s ALWAYS triggered a major manic phase. Apparently it is a thing...

^It is. I mistook hypomania for efficacy.
Let’s be realistic here cannabis is the preferred treatment

For some it works for depression, pain, and for much fewer for other disorders. THC-heavy substance really isn't that medicinal.

Edit: for addiction to opioids and trauma (PTSD mostly), it might be useful.

A high CBD/CBN:9-THC ratio product might have it effective for anxiety and sleep. But at this point, simple hemp flower might be more effective.

I thought pristiq and Wellbutrin were ndri's

Pristiq is an SNRI. At super high doses, maybe even the max erceommended dose, it may have some dopaminergic activity. This is entirely speculative on my end, though.

Wellbutrin is mostly an NRI with some other effects on the serotonin network, but may be somewhat dopaminergic at 300mg or 450mg. This is, again, an educated guess.

For some it works for depression, pain, and for much fewer for other disorders. THC-heavy substance really isn't that medicinal.

A high CBD/CBN:9-THC ratio product might have it effective for anxiety and sleep. But at this point, simple hemp flower might be more effective.

Pristiq is an SNRI. At super high doses, maybe even the max erceommended dose, it may have some dopaminergic activity. This is entirely speculative on my end, though.

Wellbutrin is mostly an NRI with some other effects on the serotonin network, but may be somewhat dopaminergic at 300mg or 450mg. This is, again, an educated guess.
Hemp cbd flower is good. Thc can is one better

I had a cousin with bipolar (manic depression it was known as in those days) and schizophrenia, gosh what a challenging combination to try and tame with medication you poor thing, I feel you x

This was 20 odd years ago now, and he needed about 10 different meds to stay stable as each came with its own set of issues that then needed treatment.

I’ve forgotten a lot of them now, however the one he hated but loved with passion was lithium. It was the only drug available at the time that controlled his manic highs and dreadful lows but it came with its own set of horrible side effects so he was forever stopping his doses so could ‘feel’ something, anything really.

Given you are also on valproate I’m not sure it would work for you as lithium controls the flow of sodium so the two might interact?
I don’t know enough, have you tried lithium?
(My daughter uses sodium vaplorate to control some of her seizures and we have found it to be the one with the least side effects, it’s a good drug as long as you don’t intend on conceiving)
I know that’s also used for bipolar so perhaps you have that covered though and would be better suited to an anti psychotic, ablify works well with schizophrenia as does respiridol.

I used SSRI’s to treat my bipolar without success, as someone said above they had a tendency to make my manic phases more manic (citilopram and Zoloft I tried)

I would absolutely not recommend anyone with schizophrenia to rely on only cannabis, make sure it's cbd rich in that case, high thc is out of the question imo, for obvious reasons. There's more than just correlation going on, schizophrenics have a more active endocannabinoid system than non schizophrenics, it could be argued that desensitization could lead to somekind of drug dependent equilibrium, but why not just use antagonists instead of (inverse) agonists, much safer.

THC is a partial, as opposed to an inverse and to an antagonist.

^They tried a CB1 antagonist for obesity. Nonetheless it's safe to say that the mechanism is faulty when it comes to health. Suicidality and depression skyrocketed in trials.

Oh god, I should really get back to reading, you're right.

From what I've previously read and experienced first hand with friends though, high thc cannabis exacerbates their symptoms tremendously.

And the studies concur. But the plant is a gold mine of sorts. Seeing as how versatile and effective a medicine CBD can be (with more studies ongoing), there's no telling how therapeutic other phytocannbinoids like CBC and CBG might be.

I'm just lucky I never go into full cb1 agonists, synth, 'noids as they're known. I saw someone get really, really mentally ill from smoking that stuff all the time.

You're right it is an snri and I take 150 Wellbutrin xl and it works great as an appitiet surpesant