• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

marijuana side effects

There is a general trend among all my friends who smoked too much weed for many years. They refuse to smoke weed anymore even though they use to love it, because they started getting really anxious. All of them are young and healthy.

For myself it was extremely addictive, and for such a useless and worthless high I did more damage to myself with this drug than all the other drugs I took combined... years of heavy binge drinking, irresponsible rolling, loads of lsd and mushrooms, messing around with cocaine and heroin, none of that could ever even come close to the damage I did to myself with this silly weed which was the only thing I ever got insanely addicted to. I have a panic attack disorder now because of all the weed I smoked over a decade, and let me tell you it is hell. I am recovering but the recovery process is dreadfully long, as in years, and every time I have one of those panic freakouts I seriously want to put a bullet in my head. I never had a panic attack in my life before I started getting them when I was stoned and let me tell you I am 100% convinced that the reason I am this way is entirely because I extremely overused that silly weed and I regret it immensely. I know tons of other people who developed anxiety issues from smoking weed. Most of them were ok with just quitting the weed, but I took it way too far, since I was way too attached to the stuff and I didn't want to let it go even when I started getting crazy side effects.

All in all I say to hell with this disgusting garbage, it is obviously doing more harm than good in this world. People like me are suffering years of agony because of a stupid weed, when I have had absolutely no problems at all with the other drugs I was experimenting with but there is quite obviously a very strong association between anxiety, panic attacks, and heavy, long term cannabis use. I'm 4 months clean, and I'm still having major debilitating issues because of all that fucking weed I smoked and let me tell you that hash oil is the devil, that's what did me in and it didn't take all that much of it. It is going to take years to recover, and I am obviously very against all forms of cannabis. I think it's a stupid fucking joke of a high that is extremely risky to mental health. How could you ever know if you are going to be one of the unlucky ones in advance. I could handle my shit relatively fine for years and then one day out of the blue these panic symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks and I was never able to smoke weed ever again. I went from smoking 30 bong rips a day to smoking zero in the blink of an eye because my body gave out from all the abuse and I just couldn't take it any more. Just the fact that those unlucky ones exist tells you this drug is no good, in fact it's a disgusting, fucking pile of nasty garbage and I hate stoners with a passion as they are fucking careless with their bodies thinking nothing bad will ever happen. While people are developing manic depression, panic disorders and schizophrenia down the road. The version of myself 5 months ago would have scoffed at this post, "just get baked and chill man". But weed smokers are dropping like flies these days. I am fully convinced that future studies will expose cannabis as the vile, incredibly dangerous devil that it is - especially in regards to ANXIETY and PANIC. A strong physical dependency can also arise, the main effect being appetite suppression. But new studies coming out are also proving that cannabis is toxic to neurons in the hippocampus. That explained a lot. It always had a blatant dumbing effect as well.

I really hope this is a troll post because if not this is one of the saddest posts I've ever read. Im going to start off by stating that I DO NOT think weed is the harmless drug that many people make it out to be; it does carry side effects such as anxiety and depression that can develop in people. However, these side effects come from extended heavy abuse of the drug over an extended period of time. You say you used to take ~30 bongs rips a day...you expect there to be no repercussions from that? Take 30 hits of any sort of substance every single day and you will indefinitely see side effects begin to arise. Moderation is the key to life.

Next, You say weed has affected you more and was more addicting than coke, alcohol, mdma, even heroin?? Are you kidding me? Many of those substances are both extremely physically addicting and incredibly psychologically addicting, with withdrawal symtoms that can lead people to death. If you really went through "years of abuse" of drugs like this I'm pretty sure you would find them to be MUCH more addicting & damaging to your body/mind than a little grass.

And then all of a sudden you decide to bash everyone who chooses to smoke herb, generalizing that we're all "fucking careless with our bodies thinking nothing bad will ever happen". First off that's extremely hypocritical, seeing as you yourself were once a stoner. Secondly, how can you generalize an entire class of people like that? I myself smoke grass religiously, that doesn't mean I don't care about my body. You can find me at the gym 5 times a week, eating healthy, currently attending law school. Does that sound like a "careless, apathetic" person to you?

Now please, fuck off and return to the shithole you crawled out of

LOL. I would view his diatribe against stoners as demonstrating a lack of critical thinking. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when they start lunching like that. Either they got no shame, or they just don't understand the incongruity between what they're saying, as it relates to what they WERE saying/doing. Maybe he's under stress. What can be worse than someone's careless caprice taking full form without regard to anything or anyone else.

8oNot one of you mention the source of your cannabis or strain. WTF? you have ruled out a ton of variance .

I Guarantee there are many strains that are contraindicated for anxiety...and many just for it....perhaps too many to get through in one lifetime , so better listen to the old heads with more beans than years.

Street dealers, too many to name or count. The issues I experience transcend dealer and subset of product, with the only connecting factor being marijuana in general.

While I concede the possibility of contaminants, it's hard for me to believe I've been the victim of contaminated herb from day one until now. I also think there's more than one factor involved, but at the center of it all is weed.

It's a love-hate relationship for me. I love to smoke, but I hate the fact that I love to smoke. It's kind of weird.

[EDIT: As a sidenote, I'd like to say that rave is being 100% sincere and open regarding his opinion on this. I may disagree with some points of his and agree with others, but he's led me to believe over the years that what he's saying is truthfully how he feels about a heavy marijuana habit these days, and it may've gone one step further and encompassed all marijuana use by now.

Some people get shaken up by their drug use. I'm just glad that he got himself and his habit under control, doesn't matter to me what he needed to make himself believe in order to do it.]

Last edited:
30 Rips a day? Yea you had a problem with control! You being able to control Yourself!!

Trancetasy said "as more countries legalized it, we shall see the downfall of marijuana."

You inadvertently exposed your bias.

As with all substances, intelligent, informed use and moderation is important when it comes to weed. As someone with an serious anxiety diagnosis who once spent 3-4 months completely agoraphobic and panic-ridden I can testify that weed doesn't automatically ruin your life when approached correctly.

The permanent panic attack disorder I developed from years of heavily using cannabis, is a fate worse than death. It never would have happened if I stayed away from weed.

And you know that... how? Unless you have a time machine and can go back in time over and over removing the astronomical number of factors that could have contributed to your mental illness you can't know that. Science, history, and my own personal experiences indicate your health problems existed before you took your first puff. Chances are good they would have emerged if you had never touched weed.

Well I consider "side effects" to be the non-therapeutic effects of weed.

So any effects I experience while high, I don't consider a side effect. Whether its sedation, relaxation, or paranoia caused I smoked more than I should.

The real "side effects" to me are the ones that sneak up on you after years and years of smoking. Like I smoked weed for 7 years straight, 1 / a day, every single day without missing 1 day in that entire 7 years.

I stopped working out.
I put on about 60 lbs.
I'd wake up and do nothing at all.
I became extremely lazy and unaware of time.
My social life cut off by the neck.
My relationships with my family became very detached.
My personality become duller.
My vocabulary became smaller.
My memory was horrific. I would literally be doing something and forget as I was doing it... what I was doing.
My skin developed a "dirty" look to it. This could have been from a poor diet I'm not sure.
I developed hyposomnia - whatever that disorder is called when you sleep a lot. I'd sleep for 10-12 hours a day.
My writing skills suffered.

Basically everything I can think of suffered in 1 way or another.

One day I realized how shitty my life had become, I couldn't run my business anymore and quit. I managed to not smoke for 10 months.
During those 10 months I got my life completely back together. Everything I listed above basically reversed. I became sharper, smarter, more social, less lazy, started dating again, got my business back on track and started putting money in the bank.

Then for whatever reason in the world I decided to smoke just 1 time, about 5 months ago. That 1 time quickly turned into daily use and now I'm back to being a lazy, miserable pos, pothead. So I'm cutting down my use from 5 hits 1 day to 4 hits the next, then 3 hits 2 hits 1 hit and I will stop again.

I wish I could just smoke on the weekends, but I just don't think I make a good candidate for smoking in moderation. Cause if I smoke Friday & Saturday, by the time Sunday comes around I will be obsessing about weed. And 90% of the time I'll give in. So I'm hoping I can just quit for good now. Or maybe smoke once a month. We'll see...