• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

marijuana side effects

trancetasy

Bluelighter
as a marijuana smoker of 8 years on and off. i find these side effects seriously affecting my body. side effects including lost of appetite, insomnia, mood swings and memory loss. Also, may bring out anxiety and paranoia in you. all can be cured by smoking more weed.

for someone who smokes once a while may experience some of the effects but for those who smoke daily will also experience severe memory loss of dreams.

i found a article on "Psychiatric effects of cannabis"

Background
Cannabis is commonly regarded as an innocuous drug and the prevalence of lifetime and regular use has increased in most developed countries. However, accumulative evidence highlights the risks of dependence and other adverse effects, particularly among people with pre-existing psychiatric disorders.

Aims
To re-evaluate the adverse effects of cannabis in the general population and among vulnerable individuals, including those with serious psychiatric disorders.

Method
A wide-ranging review of the topics related to these issues.

Results and conclusions
An appreciable proportion of cannabis users report short-lived adverse effects, including psychotic states following heavy consumption, and regular users are at risk of dependence. People with major mental illnesses such as schizophrenia are especially vulnerable in that cannabis generally provokes relapse and aggravates existing symptoms. Health workers need to recognise, and respond to, the adverse effects of cannabis on mental health.

UNTOWARD MENTAL EFFECTS OF CANNABIS

The untoward mental effects of cannabis may be classified:

Psychological responses such as panic, anxiety, depression or psychosis. These effects may be described as ‘toxic’ in that they generally relate to excess consumption of the drug.

Effects of cannabis on pre-existing mental illness and cannabis as a risk-factor for mental illness.

Dependency or withdrawal effects.

as more countries legalized it, we shall see the downfall of marijuana.

Last edited:
This is a troll attempt but I am not minimizing the dangers of cannabis by calling it for what it is. I think the problem for weed and people with mental illness is the dosage quite a lot of times. Mentally ill people use drugs to excess quite often and cannabis is no different. Too much of anything isn't good for you.

There is a general trend among all my friends who smoked too much weed for many years. They refuse to smoke weed anymore even though they use to love it, because they started getting really anxious. All of them are young and healthy.

For myself it was extremely addictive, and for such a useless and worthless high I did more damage to myself with this drug than all the other drugs I took combined... years of heavy binge drinking, irresponsible rolling, loads of lsd and mushrooms, messing around with cocaine and heroin, none of that could ever even come close to the damage I did to myself with this silly weed which was the only thing I ever got insanely addicted to. I have a panic attack disorder now because of all the weed I smoked over a decade, and let me tell you it is hell. I am recovering but the recovery process is dreadfully long, as in years, and every time I have one of those panic freakouts I seriously want to put a bullet in my head. I never had a panic attack in my life before I started getting them when I was stoned and let me tell you I am 100% convinced that the reason I am this way is entirely because I extremely overused that silly weed and I regret it immensely. I know tons of other people who developed anxiety issues from smoking weed. Most of them were ok with just quitting the weed, but I took it way too far, since I was way too attached to the stuff and I didn't want to let it go even when I started getting crazy side effects.

All in all I say to hell with this disgusting garbage, it is obviously doing more harm than good in this world. People like me are suffering years of agony because of a stupid weed, when I have had absolutely no problems at all with the other drugs I was experimenting with but there is quite obviously a very strong association between anxiety, panic attacks, and heavy, long term cannabis use. I'm 4 months clean, and I'm still having major debilitating issues because of all that fucking weed I smoked and let me tell you that hash oil is the devil, that's what did me in and it didn't take all that much of it. It is going to take years to recover, and I am obviously very against all forms of cannabis. I think it's a stupid fucking joke of a high that is extremely risky to mental health. How could you ever know if you are going to be one of the unlucky ones in advance. I could handle my shit relatively fine for years and then one day out of the blue these panic symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks and I was never able to smoke weed ever again. I went from smoking 30 bong rips a day to smoking zero in the blink of an eye because my body gave out from all the abuse and I just couldn't take it any more. Just the fact that those unlucky ones exist tells you this drug is no good, in fact it's a disgusting, fucking pile of nasty garbage and I hate stoners with a passion as they are fucking careless with their bodies thinking nothing bad will ever happen. While people are developing manic depression, panic disorders and schizophrenia down the road. The version of myself 5 months ago would have scoffed at this post, "just get baked and chill man". But weed smokers are dropping like flies these days. I am fully convinced that future studies will expose cannabis as the vile, incredibly dangerous devil that it is - especially in regards to ANXIETY and PANIC. A strong physical dependency can also arise, the main effect being appetite suppression. But new studies coming out are also proving that cannabis is toxic to neurons in the hippocampus. That explained a lot. It always had a blatant dumbing effect as well.

Last edited:
The problem, I believe, is that too many people think cannabis is just another feel-good drug. It isn't! It's a powerful psychoactive substance that can enhance_your_current_mood, and should be regarded as such.

In my experience, the anxiety produced by cannabis isn't without its purpose. The anxiety always has a root cause. In this way, cannabis works as a diagnostic tool: you smoke it, and the thing bothering you the most will rise to the surface. Ignore the warning signs, and you will suffer, it's that simple. If your cannabis usage results in anxiety and paranoia every time you partake, then maybe it's time to look for the source of your feelings and identify/resolve the issue before diving in again.

Now, if you cannot find the source of your anxiety, you'll just have to quit, period. It could be some small issue you don't think matters, or something wrong with your physical health... but I believe the anxiety always stems from somewhere. Whatever the case: if cannabis isn't working out for you, stop! Don't blame the drug, blame yourself for continuing a habit that disturbs your peace of mind.

I should mention that cannabis used to always give me a bad time, every time I'd smoke or eat it. Everything I told you comes from personal experience. I can now smoke *most* of the time without becoming an anxious wreck, even though I have a bipolar II diagnosis. It's all about recognizing what cannabis is, and what it isn't, and using it accordingly. I use it knowing full well that I might get my ass handed to me by it, and indeed, it occasional still happens.

Cannabis may not "fix" you, but it will usually alert you to what needs to be fixed. Ignore the cause of your anxiety at your own peril :\

I dont know about anyone else but whenever i take a week break from using i feel completley normal. I must admit though when i use alot i get insane munchies and eat as much as i can then the next day i feel chubby thats my only side effect haha

I get no side effects from it at all after I come off a high. If anything I feel really relaxed the day after but that's it. I think like with anything though, too much is no good so moderation is best

Salutations TranceTasy,

...as more countries legalized it, we shall see the downfall of marijuana.

I'd suggest you ask William Reddie about death by "Justifiable Homicide". Well, if you can reach him that is...

=D

The problem, I believe, is that too many people think cannabis is just another feel-good drug. It isn't! It's a powerful psychoactive substance that can enhance_your_current_mood, and should be regarded as such.

In my experience, the anxiety produced by cannabis isn't without its purpose. The anxiety always has a root cause. In this way, cannabis works as a diagnostic tool: you smoke it, and the thing bothering you the most will rise to the surface. Ignore the warning signs, and you will suffer, it's that simple. If your cannabis usage results in anxiety and paranoia every time you partake, then maybe it's time to look for the source of your feelings and identify/resolve the issue before diving in again.

Now, if you cannot find the source of your anxiety, you'll just have to quit, period. It could be some small issue you don't think matters, or something wrong with your physical health... but I believe the anxiety always stems from somewhere. Whatever the case: if cannabis isn't working out for you, stop! Don't blame the drug, blame yourself for continuing a habit that disturbs your peace of mind.

I should mention that cannabis used to always give me a bad time, every time I'd smoke or eat it. Everything I told you comes from personal experience. I can now smoke *most* of the time without becoming an anxious wreck, even though I have a bipolar II diagnosis. It's all about recognizing what cannabis is, and what it isn't, and using it accordingly. I use it knowing full well that I might get my ass handed to me by it, and indeed, it occasional still happens.

Cannabis may not "fix" you, but it will usually alert you to what needs to be fixed. Ignore the cause of your anxiety at your own peril :\
One of the best explainations ever read.

I can totally agree with this post. 90% of the time if I'm in a very good mood and I smoke I will be fine and even more happy.

if I am depressed and smoke a lot I will be in a state of dysphoria.

If I am content but then consume marijuana and start bugging out I try to realize what is botherinf me and when I do...I face my fears and think positive. I.e. everyone is looking at me in the room...I must be so good looking and plus who cares! Right then and there that weight is off my shoulders and racing mind is slowed down.

My anxiety definitely worsened after years of chronic smoking while in a very depressed state. But now as I am sober of most drugs and finally mentally stable for the most part along with the anxiety/paranoia reducing techniques I can finally enjoy my weed highs more.

The permanent panic attack disorder I developed from years of heavily using cannabis, is a fate worse than death. It never would have happened if I stayed away from weed. However, I don't have it in me to end my life so I just ended up as a painkiller addict. The suffering of the panic attacks proved to be unbearable in the long term. I had no idea this could happen when I was a big stoner, because I was unwilling to listen, but there is obviously a huge correlation between heavy cannabis use and anxiety / panic attacks.

The severe long term effects of smoking weed hit me all at once like a ton of bricks. I was able to get by in life for the longest time as a big stoner, although I wasn't reaching my full potential, as smoking weed has always involved some degree of anxiety and brain damage for me, but life was pretty great as a pothead. I was happy.

Then one day, I went from being a full fledged habitual bong ripper of weed, hash, and hash oil, to somebody who would have an extreme panic attack from the smallest pinch of weak pot. So I quickly got the picture; I was forced to quit, to this day 4 months later, smoking the tiniest amount will make me feel like I am dying. My heart will pound out of my chest, my chest gets really tight, I start begging God for mercy, and I truly think that I am on the verge of a heart attack. I have also developed these panic attacks in my sober state of mind, which is a direct result of my abuse of cannabis for nearly a decade, since I've never really hit any other drugs super hard like with the weed. I also never had anxiety issues in my life before I got crazy hooked and smoked way too much weed. There were warning signs - the whole reason I was smoking way too much weed to begin with, from morning til night every day, was because I was getting "too high" if I didn't have a mad tolerance, but I refused to let it go. And then of course I became very dependent on my habit, both physically and mentally. I was puking my guts out in withdrawal and lost 20 pounds.

My brain began seeking alternatives, because there's just no fun in going from smoking an ounce a week, to doing no drugs whatsoever. However, because of the panic attacks I can't handle any kind of stimulant drug. I am good with mushrooms, alcohol, and opiates however.

After 4 months of having extreme panic attacks, and habitually taking anti psychotics that really suck ass and cloud my mind, I am simply fed up. The thing is, nobody in there right mind can handle having panic attacks their whole life. One is more than enough. This is why I made the conscious decision to start using heroin. I have a really good source for it, and when I'm on a low dose of heroin, I never get panic attacks. I don't need to be on anti psychotics any longer, which is awesome because I was getting sick of being a useless fuck. I've also lived with severe chronic pain for 2 years from a sports injury, which smoking weed never helped, because it's simply not a good painkiller at all for me - it increases pain. But now that I am on a real medication, the extreme pain in my spine has evaporated and I can be physically active once more.

Smoking too much weed was at the root of all these issues. When I get stoned, it alters my personality like no other drug. The person I am when I'm stoned is stupid, lazy, anxious, and a fiend for more pot. In that stoned state of mind I am incapable of abiding by important rules of responsible drug use like the concept of moderation, which I normally have no problem with as I've never been addicted to anything but pot. I'm just too stupid when I'm stoned to be responsible - for example, I spent $20,000 on all things cannabis in one year, and thought nothing of it at the time. It was normal. Cannabis compromised my mental health and sanity, and completely took over my life. I was obsessed with it, even though it took up all my time making me stupid and lazy, and cared about nothing else, up until the point that it triggered a mental illness. But I am in a way grateful that I had to quit, because I'm not baked any more. And I'm really fucking stupid, useless, paranoid, and lazy when I'm stoned, so it wasn't really a life worth living, just chasing a hit like that. Anything whatsoever is better than that worthless misery of a pothead. I'm getting a lot more done these days, that nasty pot sickens me and I look at all my addicted friends (everyone I know who smokes pot, uses it constantly because they are drug addicts) who are on their way to a similar fate. There's no point warning them, because it's in one ear, out the other when you're a stupid pothead. It takes a rare pothead even to come out of denial, due to all the stoner culture garbage. Fuck smoking weed, I'll never touch that nonsense again and I will speak out against it at every opportunity because it turned me into a monster and ruined my life. To call this drug safe is laughable - it's anything but.

To me, marijuana is disgusting, addictive fucking garbage and I hate it with a passion. I detest how apathetic my lazy doper friends are, they hit weed from morning til night while calling it a medicine even though the only thing wrong with them is that they are drug addicts - they are too stupid, deluded and brainwashed from heavy use of the dope to even realize how horribly addicted they are and how badly it is obviously fucking with their lives. Smoking weed is a pathetic crutch, and it's a dirty plague that has infested mankind.

Last edited:
Salutations

...I hate it with a passion.

Good for you, who knows maybe this attitude will work and help you stay away from cannabis once and for all! So, while struggling with your demons i'd suggest reading the pathetic story of John Klepadlo who executed a father in front of his young child after his ex-wife called the children protection services to her rescue. It turns out she's an alcoholic who can't even assume responsability of her own boy until a judge has decided otherwise, not to mention police didn't find what they were looking for in the 1st place. Thanks to "hate with a passion" the infant is now left without parents for all practical purposes, at the expense of the state...

=D

as someone who has had a 2-5 g. a day habit for several years I have to say that the paranoia/guilt/laziness whatever, is just part of being a pothead. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks for me. Like all the effects you get used to them and adjust to them according to the situation (work, school, etc.). All I can say is that a nice joint is always something to look forward to I've never flicked a roach regretting my decision to spark up. But that's just me and I find the drawbacks of other substances much more noticeable. Sure there's more productive things to do then pig out and watch tv but I haven't found anything more satisfying and relaxing. One last thing, I agree that anytime you despise the pothead status you have nothing to blame (including the drug) but yourself since its mostly a psychological craving.

I love weed, the taste, the smell, the routine, the paranoia (wondering if people can tell), the munchies, and those will always make it worth it.

Hey exists, check your PMs. Reading your post brought a question to mind, but it's personal and I don't want to derail this thread or get an obviously biased BLer's take on what I'm about to send you. It should be in your inbox like 5min after I post this.

What other drugs did or do you intake? I find that anxiety from cannabis increases big time when using or withdrawing from other substances.

Confound Alert!

8oNot one of you mention the source of your cannabis or strain. WTF? you have ruled out a ton of variance .

I Guarantee there are many strains that are contraindicated for anxiety...and many just for it....perhaps too many to get through in one lifetime , so better listen to the old heads with more beans than years.

With weed, less is more. Smoking more than once a day or smoking before the sun goes down are potential indicators that you're not smoking in moderation. If the first session is 100%, the second session is like 40%, the third session is like 25%... the first session in a day is G-R-E-A-T. Each successive session is degraded in comparison. At a point, you're barely getting high, but you're feeling cumulative paranoia and guilt about unfinished tasks and experiencing an insidious withdrawal (socially). Burnout and/or prolonged anxiety are not a stretch if you smoke more than once a day. Really, moderate use is probably once or twice a week, to function well.

One other important note: If you don't have a structure and routine (a job and/or school), it's easier for your weed smoking to degenerate into unpleasant territory.